Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
GT Sport is desperately trying to be like iracing. They even have their own SR and iR equivalents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Cojawfee posted:

GT Sport is desperately trying to be like iracing. They even have their own SR and iR equivalents.
That's good, iRacing is in desperate need of competition imo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Except PCars 2 also has a rating system, and rF2 and R3E are supposedly working on similar systems. GT Sport isn't even unique in its one gimmick so it ends up just being an online only Gran Turismo which I just don't see the point of.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

This is exactly why I’m building a gimx adapter to use my DFGT on my PS4 with GT Sport. I really like the idea of iracings safeguards against crappy drivers, but I don’t really want to pay a subscription.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The problem (just as I see it) with P Cars 2 after playing since release is this. Please note I am poo poo at games so may have just missed things rather than them not being there.
Having an iracing style system is great, but they are missing some key things that make the system work.
1) No feedback - in iracing if you go offtrack you are told, if contact is made you are told. P Cars does not tell you any of this so there is no 'OK I know not to do that' feeling at all, no one knows how or why they should or shouldn't do pretty much anything. This system works in iracing because it gives you drip fed info that you react to.
2) No chat after a race. In iracing a part of the community building is saying 'good race thanks' and 'ARE YOU KIDDING ME' after the race, it's a vital part of feeling like you are playing against other humans. I did a race last night and went bumper to bumper with a guy for ten laps, I really wanted to say 'good race man' and ask where he was going next - this is missing from P Cars and creates the feeling that other people are just AI to beat
3) Same as above but in race too, as well as voice chat - These are both really important elements that separate iracing from other games and form the basis of respect on track, you are always aware that real people are with you and you may look like an rear end if you gently caress up. A simple key binding of 'Sorry!' would let me know if that guy just wiped me out for a laugh or if it was a mistake.
4) Slightly Mad need to communicate their intentions for the rating system better. They have said, buried deep in a forum post that 1500 points (what we all start with) is a high number and people should expect to lose points. This is not well known enough - People are losing points and complaining. They should have started everyone at 0 points imo, as it stands now what has happened in the online community has reacted against the points system and they create lobbies with little or no entry barrier, making the whole thing pointless (lol).

I can't shake the feeling that the system will kind of kill off the game, it's a great idea but I dunno, people who care will play iracing and the rest will cause mayhem, that's what I see going forward. Is it a square peg round hole situation? Do the P Cars audience even want this? It's fine wanting cleaner racing but it that really their buyers priority?

Then really I'm left just baffled by some of the stuff they have half assed, no cautions in ovals is a total killer, they may have well not bothered putting it in. This combined with that loving voice over when loading a race about cautions in a race is a slap in the face.

How many laps is a race? No one knows. What cars can I choose? No one knows until you are in the race and if you quit at that point then lol goodbye a shitload of points. It's simple, stupid stuff that lets it down.

I really like the game but am so unsure about a lot of it, it's TEARING ME APART

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is exactly why I’m building a gimx adapter to use my DFGT on my PS4 with GT Sport. I really like the idea of iracings safeguards against crappy drivers, but I don’t really want to pay a subscription.

Yeah but think about it this way, most games cost $60, that buys you many months of iracing. I got a good deal on a year's worth of subscription. You still gotta buy cars and tracks but I dunno, its not as bad as I figured.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's like 200 bucks as a newbie trying to do new series.

Please don't tell anyone iRacing is cheep lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Those are good points Peter Gabriel. Instant feedback is REALLY key to getting people to recognize their bad behavior and ultimately change.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
You bought a 200 dollar wheel to play it, what did you expect.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Uhh excuse me I bought a 1200 dollar wheel tyvm

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
And still that bad? Gee whiz

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Norns posted:

It's like 200 bucks as a newbie trying to do new series.

Please don't tell anyone iRacing is cheep lol

I got a year plus several tracks for $50 and then spent $60 on tracks and cars and I'm gonna be set for the next year easy. Thats very reasonable. I could see someone spending $50 on forza dlc or whatever in the course of a year. Maybe I'll end up buying more, but I really have lots of leagues available right now.

It does massively help if you can get a new player package. But I think they offer some newbie discount all the time.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

Those are good points Peter Gabriel. Instant feedback is REALLY key to getting people to recognize their bad behavior and ultimately change.

I just think the whole audience they have need help to learn what to do, I see wreckers but understand why, to them they are playing Burnout and if Slightly Mad want their existing player base to suddenly become iracers then they have to help them do it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

OhsH posted:

And still that bad? Gee whiz

Hey I do fine for someone who's rarely not stoned okay

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

As long as you budget yourself to like a track or car a month and stick to the same series it's really not that bad.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

As long as you budget yourself to like a track or car a month and stick to the same series it's really not that bad.

This, it's how I started getting all my stuff now I barely need to buy anything but for tracks I don't want to race anyways

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I got all excited in the beginning, bought tons of poo poo, and have barely played any of it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

GhostDog posted:

I got all excited in the beginning, bought tons of poo poo, and have barely played any of it.

This except I still race truck

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GhostDog posted:

I plotted a course to what I wanted to try and end up doing and it all turned to poo poo anyway :v:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

The problem (just as I see it) with P Cars 2 after playing since release is this. Please note I am poo poo at games so may have just missed things rather than them not being there.
Having an iracing style system is great, but they are missing some key things that make the system work.
1) No feedback - in iracing if you go offtrack you are told, if contact is made you are told. P Cars does not tell you any of this so there is no 'OK I know not to do that' feeling at all, no one knows how or why they should or shouldn't do pretty much anything. This system works in iracing because it gives you drip fed info that you react to.
2) No chat after a race. In iracing a part of the community building is saying 'good race thanks' and 'ARE YOU KIDDING ME' after the race, it's a vital part of feeling like you are playing against other humans. I did a race last night and went bumper to bumper with a guy for ten laps, I really wanted to say 'good race man' and ask where he was going next - this is missing from P Cars and creates the feeling that other people are just AI to beat
3) Same as above but in race too, as well as voice chat - These are both really important elements that separate iracing from other games and form the basis of respect on track, you are always aware that real people are with you and you may look like an rear end if you gently caress up. A simple key binding of 'Sorry!' would let me know if that guy just wiped me out for a laugh or if it was a mistake.
4) Slightly Mad need to communicate their intentions for the rating system better. They have said, buried deep in a forum post that 1500 points (what we all start with) is a high number and people should expect to lose points. This is not well known enough - People are losing points and complaining. They should have started everyone at 0 points imo, as it stands now what has happened in the online community has reacted against the points system and they create lobbies with little or no entry barrier, making the whole thing pointless (lol).

I can't shake the feeling that the system will kind of kill off the game, it's a great idea but I dunno, people who care will play iracing and the rest will cause mayhem, that's what I see going forward. Is it a square peg round hole situation? Do the P Cars audience even want this? It's fine wanting cleaner racing but it that really their buyers priority?

Then really I'm left just baffled by some of the stuff they have half assed, no cautions in ovals is a total killer, they may have well not bothered putting it in. This combined with that loving voice over when loading a race about cautions in a race is a slap in the face.

How many laps is a race? No one knows. What cars can I choose? No one knows until you are in the race and if you quit at that point then lol goodbye a shitload of points. It's simple, stupid stuff that lets it down.

I really like the game but am so unsure about a lot of it, it's TEARING ME APART

I agree with some of this stuff for sure, but there totally is text chat before, during, and after races. I don't see it used a whole lot, but it's there. Also, I don't think your rating is affected if you quit during practice or qualifying; I often join a lobby and check the details before quitting (I don't load all the way in to the track, all the info like laps and damage/assist settings and car class is available in the lobby screen).

It remains to be seen how it fares long term but so far I rather like the rating system. If I avoid lobbies with reputation turned off and ones with no minimum rating, I've been having good races. My skill rating has been hovering around 1500 but my safety rating has been slowly going up. Feedback on what you gain/lose points for would definitely be nice.

Edit: And yeah I love iRacing but it's stupidly expensive, no way around it. You can buy a $60 game with dozens of tracks and hundreds of cars, or you can buy like three tracks and two cars in iRacing.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 20, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GhostDog posted:

Pretty much this. Also love the av.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you yell at me enough I will totally run an entirely free content iRacing championship if people want to make use of the special introductory offers and play for a couple of months for like :10bux:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I usually buy a 3 month sub for $5, race for a day and stop playing after that. Get an urge 6 months later and do it again.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eyud posted:

I agree with some of this stuff for sure, but there totally is text chat before, during, and after races. I don't see it used a whole lot, but it's there. Also, I don't think your rating is affected if you quit during practice or qualifying; I often join a lobby and check the details before quitting (I don't load all the way in to the track, all the info like laps and damage/assist settings and car class is available in the lobby screen).

It remains to be seen how it fares long term but so far I rather like the rating system. If I avoid lobbies with reputation turned off and ones with no minimum rating, I've been having good races. My skill rating has been hovering around 1500 but my safety rating has been slowly going up. Feedback on what you gain/lose points for would definitely be nice.

Edit: And yeah I love iRacing but it's stupidly expensive, no way around it. You can buy a $60 game with dozens of tracks and hundreds of cars, or you can buy like three tracks and two cars in iRacing.

Like I said I may just be missing a couple of things due to my utter incompetence, I'll try and find the chat, I'm in VR so maybe that's part of the problem?
I like the rating system, or the idea of it, and I'll be sticking with the game for sure, hopefully it's tweaked as we go along :)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Vando posted:

If you yell at me enough I will totally run an entirely free content iRacing championship if people want to make use of the special introductory offers and play for a couple of months for like :10bux:

Please schedule for a more euro working people friendly time, tia.

Also someone that's not me give organizing AC/AMS/R3E races another go, tia.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

GhostDog posted:

Please schedule for a more euro working people friendly time, tia.

Take a nap before the Sunday evening race slot, we're still done before midnight :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As a central time man, I'm willing to move the race up a bit. Races are currently at 3:30 for me. I'd be willing to race at 2:30 or 1:30, but I don't know how many people we have on the west coast.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Vando posted:

Take a nap before the Sunday evening race slot, we're still done before midnight :colbert:

The problem was more getting the pulse down afterwards and not milling around until 2am :(

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Harminoff posted:

I usually buy a 3 month sub for $5, race for a day and stop playing after that. Get an urge 6 months later and do it again.

I usually play for 3 months, let my sub lapse them play again in another 3.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

As a central time man, I'm willing to move the race up a bit. Races are currently at 3:30 for me. I'd be willing to race at 2:30 or 1:30, but I don't know how many people we have on the west coast.

Same, also CST and also cool with 2:30, and I guess 1:30 is cool too, although some Sundays I'm pretty hungover and can use the extra time to sober the gently caress up before the race lol

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Can try pulling it forward an hour next season because I think a lot of the people who needed it so late in the first place don't race anymore anyway.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
As a (mostly*) free iRacing alternative, I've been trying out Sim Racing System which has set of apps for three other titles: Assetto Corsa, Automobilista, and rFactor 2. The latter two are pretty much dead on there, it seems, so I've been racing in a series hosted by the guy that does TheSimPit. It's Ferraris 312/67s on a different track every week for six weeks. It's *mostly free because sometimes they are racing content that is from DLC, like the Ferrari 312/67.

Anyway, it's a mixed bag because the turnout for North America is pretty garbage in most of the races. They have a point system but you only get points if 6 or more people show up for a race at race time. I'm doing the SimPit one because the guy has a small following so at least 20 people show up every Thursday and Friday to race in it.

I'm about to drop into a practice server now to prep for tonights race at Spa. I will undoubtedly suck it up really bad, but I'll look great doing it:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Like I said I may just be missing a couple of things due to my utter incompetence, I'll try and find the chat, I'm in VR so maybe that's part of the problem?
I like the rating system, or the idea of it, and I'll be sticking with the game for sure, hopefully it's tweaked as we go along :)

The chat is in the lower left on the lobby screen or when you're sitting in your pit box, and you can bind it to a key/button to bring it up while driving (mine is set to T but I don't remember if that's the default). But text chat is all a bit awkward while racing in VR so I rarely use it.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if you can somehow turn Assetto Corsa's AI up higher than 100? Either the AI suck at racing the old cars or I'm totally amazing, because I'm regularly 2-3 seconds faster per lap. Sure, it can be fun to start at the back and see how long it takes to get to the front, but long races become pretty pointless.

And the answer is NOT to race modern cars!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Steen71 posted:

Does anyone know if you can somehow turn Assetto Corsa's AI up higher than 100? Either the AI suck at racing the old cars or I'm totally amazing, because I'm regularly 2-3 seconds faster per lap. Sure, it can be fun to start at the back and see how long it takes to get to the front, but long races become pretty pointless.

And the answer is NOT to race modern cars!

No, 100% is the max in AC and yes the AI sucks.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah the AI has gotten better over the years but it seems only for modern cars. They're pretty incapable in the vintage stuff, especially on cold tires.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
drat.

I suppose I could take on some ballast in the form of the maximum amount of fuel, but it's not quite the same.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I just picked up a Logitech G920 recently and I've been having some issues with it on PC. I installed the newest software and drivers, but it seems to randomly shift it's center during races about 20 degrees to the right or left. It snaps back to center during the menus and seems to work fine when calibrating. I thought maybe it was a sensor issue but it works perfectly on xbox. I have no idea what's going on, but I've noticed it in multiple games (PCARS 2, F1 2017, Horizon 3) and it's really annoying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

I just picked up a Logitech G920 recently and I've been having some issues with it on PC. I installed the newest software and drivers, but it seems to randomly shift it's center during races about 20 degrees to the right or left. It snaps back to center during the menus and seems to work fine when calibrating. I thought maybe it was a sensor issue but it works perfectly on xbox. I have no idea what's going on, but I've noticed it in multiple games (PCARS 2, F1 2017, Horizon 3) and it's really annoying.

Can you re-flash the firmware? I have a Fanatec wheel that does poo poo like that sometimes and I find that re-flashing the firmware is the only thing that causes it to reset and fix itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I don't have a fix but I have seen many many people with this issue with this wheel

https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D53100006gxRIBCA2/g920-turn-by-its-own-to-the-left

Maybe some help? It's not just you though