Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tp also belongs flushed down the toilet if you think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think Nintendo should make a Star Ocean game

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cowcaster posted:

tp also belongs flushed down the toilet if you think about it

never having played Risen or Gothic and having heard about people killing themselves with their own poo poo in Ark I was a little bit apprehensive when I started finding rolls of TP in Elex

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I did not enjoy Breath of the Wild because I don't like open world games and I do like Zelda games :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I loved breath of the wild even though I don’t normally enjoy open world games and I really like Zelda games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a sci-fi game taking place on a backwater fantasy planet... ah, star ocean

e; gently caress

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Everyone loves SH2 the most but I think 1 is the closest that series got to actually being scary. James might be scared in 2 but I don't think anyone playing it ever was...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't say that in the Switch thread

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Give me a Zelda game where Ganondorf or Zelda is the protagonist.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Colonel posted:

a sci-fi game taking place on a backwater fantasy planet... ah, star ocean

e; gently caress

ironically the wii has an actual scifi jrpg in the form of opoona

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG9Y5gxXXeM

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

corn in the bible posted:

Everyone loves SH2 the most but I think 1 is the closest that series got to actually being scary. James might be scared in 2 but I don't think anyone playing it ever was...

i mean sh2 isn't scary but it's a more interesting game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I still kind of like Downpour even if it's fundamentally really bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXTx1xfZEi8

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried playing Downpour recently and I don't like it at all

Soundtrack is good though

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

chumbler posted:

Ganondorf is the protagonist in Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U because he always wins.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I was playing a heated smash match (smatch) as the dorf last weekend and my opponent got the hammer at the last second. I jumped above him and did the wizard kick. It went straight through the hammer and killed him.

Ganondorf is so strong he literally breaks game mechanics.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would give another Zelda game a shot if Linkle were the main protagonist

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: wrong thread

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Taxonomy based on hard categories is less and less useful to me these days. I would rather have the ability to start with the totality of items, tag each with multiple salient characteristics, and then just search by tag based on what I'm looking for in the moment.

Also the thing I do most with the Steam game list is sort by file size and the categories get in the way of that

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

chumbler posted:

Ganondorf is the protagonist for part of Hyrule Warriors.

And the CD-I games have been around for a couple of decades if Zelda as a protagonist is what you want.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was trying to organize by genre mechanics under a sense of "what is the most prominent feature of this game," so like, I had a sub-category for open world games like Assassin Creed collectathons and what not, GTA would fall under there, Shadow of War. But then that bloated pretty big and now I'm trying to do by topic, like cyberpunk or historical military - grognard or grognard adjacent type stuff. I'm trying to keep my categories no bigger than 50 per game, and even that feels a bit much.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

chumbler posted:

I want to play a game in Breath of the Wild's setting with a gadgeteer Zelda as the player character, just Sheikah tech all over the place.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oddium posted:

ah.... you mean... THIS chester cheevo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlNAyAzEURY

You’re pretty good...

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I just got Hat in Time to hold me over until Mario after hearing good things. First area was pretty okay, nothing spectacular but just "oh okay it's a pretty good open world collectathon thing, decent level design good controls not bad", but then the second area got way better and reminds me a lot of Psychonauts where there's a really tight cohesive theme that the level objectives are based around as opposed to it just being set dressing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

Windwaker is better

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

What's the difference between a Super Shroom that Mario et al would use to heal with and a Toad/resident of the Toadstool Kingdom? Are they divergent evolutionary paths? A form of caste system? If a Toad is wounded, would eating a mushroom be seen as cannibalism and, if so, how does their society react to it? These questions and many more answered in my new self-published book "Mario on Shrooms," available in time for Christmas. (14,000 pages, $9.99)
Unrelated. Toads are a prey species, they evolved to look like mushrooms - the dominant flora - as a camouflage. This is canon.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I always thought Goombas were supposed to be evil mushrooms but then someone told me I was wrong and they are actually chestnuts?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Taxonomy based on hard categories is less and less useful to me these days. I would rather have the ability to start with the totality of items, tag each with multiple salient characteristics, and then just search by tag based on what I'm looking for in the moment.

Also the thing I do most with the Steam game list is sort by file size and the categories get in the way of that
that's why I categorize my library based on game quality, so if I want the sickest best games then I just look in my Sick Games category

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I always thought Goombas were supposed to be evil mushrooms but then someone told me I was wrong and they are actually chestnuts?

mario lore is a rabbit hole you don't wanna get stuck in friendo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Kuribo is chestnut dude in japanese and thats what they call goobas.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They're sapient footballs trying to slowly escape from any and all Chargin' Chucks.

Mario is doing them a favor by deflating them, making them worthless to the football fiends.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Kuribo is chestnut dude in japanese and thats what they call goobas.

Isn't that the guy with the shoe? :confused:

Maybe that book I started reading will explain it all

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

corn in the bible posted:

I consider SH2 to be the better game with the better story, but SH1 is more atmospheric and to me actually somewhat scary at times which I don't think of of the rest of the series.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

garfield hentai posted:

I just got Hat in Time to hold me over until Mario after hearing good things. First area was pretty okay, nothing spectacular but just "oh okay it's a pretty good open world collectathon thing, decent level design good controls not bad", but then the second area got way better and reminds me a lot of Psychonauts where there's a really tight cohesive theme that the level objectives are based around as opposed to it just being set dressing.

worlds 2-4 are leagues above the opening, yeah. the challenge levels are also really good, the game just feels great to play and it really shows when you're just doing some regular smooth-rear end platforming

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't that the guy with the shoe? :confused:

Maybe that book I started reading will explain it all

Theres a goomba in the shoe. Its a kuribos shoe

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what is the Mario timeline

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
This should clear some things up

https://twitter.com/botnikstudios/status/918516380948865024

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Really Pants posted:

what is the Mario timeline
mario started off as an unsuccessful hotel manager, as seen in the canonical prequel Hotel Mario, and then for awhile became known as "Doctor" Mario while running a pill mill before they started cracking down on oxy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I hope there's a Hotel Mario in New Donk City.

I do wonder how this syncs up with the Donkey Kong Country series, considering that Pauline still appears relatively young while the original "Donkey Kong" is now aged and decrepit

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'm in dungeon 5 of Zelda and I think I have to call it quits. All the enemies move in unpredictable bullshit ways and they all do 2-3 hearts of damage to me. I haven't managed to find the damage reduction rings anywhere. From what I remember I think you need 12 hearts for the magic sword but I have 11 and I can't manage to get another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Olive! posted:

I'm in dungeon 5 of Zelda and I think I have to call it quits. All the enemies move in unpredictable bullshit ways and they all do 2-3 hearts of damage to me. I haven't managed to find the damage reduction rings anywhere. From what I remember I think you need 12 hearts for the magic sword but I have 11 and I can't manage to get another one.

zelda 1 has an insanely rough difficulty curve, yeah. that's about where i'd usually call it quits

• Locked thread