Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Applied to The Protected as Big Mad Drongo.

Played this game for a while before ascension came out, and man things are different. I apparently had a decently leveled character from a few years ago, so looking forward to playing with all this new stuff.

I got you, sorry for the delay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

if you want in on some of this hot, hot, decade old clan dungeon content, maybe come chat with us in the discord

https://discord.gg/qwK8a29

fits fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 19, 2017

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Samog posted:

I got you, sorry for the delay

Not a problem! Got in just in time for helpful clan goons to let me know I should sell a mafia ring I found before the price started plummeting, and now I have about 900k meat in the bank.

I’m approaching the end of my first ascension, and not sure what is best. Most guides seem to be aimed at complete newbies struggling to get their store open or veterans who are dozens of ascensions deep and looking shave turns with former IotM stuff. Is there any cheap but useful gear worth buying, or should I spend the spoils on improving my diet, or something else entirely?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Someone earlier in the thread told me to send any questions I have about the multi abuse rule to account number 6. I did, but never got a response. What’s my next course of action?

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Not a problem! Got in just in time for helpful clan goons to let me know I should sell a mafia ring I found before the price started plummeting, and now I have about 900k meat in the bank.

I’m approaching the end of my first ascension, and not sure what is best. Most guides seem to be aimed at complete newbies struggling to get their store open or veterans who are dozens of ascensions deep and looking shave turns with former IotM stuff. Is there any cheap but useful gear worth buying, or should I spend the spoils on improving my diet, or something else entirely?

The best piece of advice I ever got was to grab a lil barrel mimic. It’s super cheap and incredibly useful. You’ll find yourself doing 100% familliar runs with it just because nothing else ever seemed as useful.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Yeah poke me on discord (squig) and I'll send some useful things your way!

What to do depends a bit on your aims, but I would suggest doing a few runs and perming some of the basic skills to make your runs faster.

In no specific order:

Ode to booze (more turns from drinks)
Tao of the terrapin (take less damage)
Cocoon or another heal
1-2 -combat skills
1 +combat skill
Some + familiar weight skill
Elemental saucesphere (though you could create the topiara gear if you play softcore)
Some damage or deleveling skill so you survive combat

Optional: some food & drink crafting skill, but the barrel mimic should sustain you at start.

Re: gear to buy, depending on how much you can spend you could buy some good consumables, or some gear that helps in run. That said, you can buy things in the mall during your next run and just pull them from hagnks (if you play softcore) so there is no reason to do this before starting a new run.

e: also, you get 50 bonus karma each time you play a path for the first time. So it may be fun to check out some of the older paths. Some of these older paths limit the skills you have access to, but if you just started playing you may actually end up with more skills than you would have otherwise. (for example in the "class act 2" path).

uncertainty fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 20, 2017

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah you might as well do some of the old challenge paths that don't let you use permed skills now, while you don't have any permed skills . That's a good point

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Ode to booze, cocktailcrafting, pastamancery, and saucecrafting are totally the first skills to get. Those allow you to double (or more) your turn generation.

And yeah, for super low skill runs, try something like avatar of sneaky Pete or Boris, those will be a lot easier than a low perm run.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Thanks for the advice. I'll perm Advanced Cocktailcrafting once I ascend, but I want to check some math for my second ascension plan: I'll get 111 for first ascension, +10 from the nemesis quest instant karma, for 121 total. If I do a Class Act II run, I'll get 161 for ascending, +10 for nemesis and another +10 if I can beat the Sorceress at 13.

That would put me at just over 200 if I only buy astral food, letting me perm two skills in the clas I choose (currently leaning Pastamancer). Is this right, and is this a good plan?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Instant Karma is +11, not +10, so hooray you'll have a bit more karma than you think you will.

the plan seems ok to me. in the future you'll want to be using astral gear, but the good ones won't be available to you for a few more runs probably

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Kaboobi posted:

Ode to booze, cocktailcrafting, pastamancery, and saucecrafting are totally the first skills to get. Those allow you to double (or more) your turn generation.

And yeah, for super low skill runs, try something like avatar of sneaky Pete or Boris, those will be a lot easier than a low perm run.

I don't think that is true for the crafting skills if you run with the barrel mimic. It gives me enough green booze (3 adv / drunk) and enough for 5 blue burritos (3.83 adv/full).
I don't think any of the reasonably doable crafted foods / drinks beat that.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

uncertainty posted:

I don't think that is true for the crafting skills if you run with the barrel mimic. It gives me enough green booze (3 adv / drunk) and enough for 5 blue burritos (3.83 adv/full).

The barrel mimic is pretty great and is a volley, but it'll also be out of standard in 2 months.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

uncertainty posted:

some of the barrel mimic's booze drops can be upgraded to 4 adv/liver with advanced cocktailcrafting

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Samog posted:

some of the barrel mimic's booze drops can be upgraded to 4 adv/liver with advanced cocktailcrafting

I stand corrected, then cocktailcrafting should be pretty high up there.

Kaboobi posted:

The barrel mimic is pretty great and is a volley, but it'll also be out of standard in 2 months.

Sure, but in those two months, I would first perm other skills, and worry about summoning noodles at the end of December!

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Barrel mimic has been feeding my stomach, liver, MP pool, car, spleen and wallet (by selling crappy spleen items) simultaneously.

Man, I'd miss it so much when I have to smash barrel after barrel for booze base next year.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm not sure I understand. Is the barrel mimic being removed from the game or something?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm not sure I understand. Is the barrel mimic being removed from the game or something?

If by "the game" you mean "ascensions done under Standard rules", then yes.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jabor posted:

If by "the game" you mean "ascensions done under Standard rules", then yes.

Ok, as someone who doesn't know what this means, uhhh what does this mean?

I thought you kept your familiars when you ascended. Is this being changed or is the barrel mimic an exception?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

FirstAidKite posted:

Ok, as someone who doesn't know what this means, uhhh what does this mean?

I thought you kept your familiars when you ascended. Is this being changed or is the barrel mimic an exception?

Standard is basically kol's way of making it so you don't need to spend bajillions of meat on ancient, no-longer-acquirable stuff in order to be competitive.

Basically, for runs done under Standard rules (which is the current challenge path, plus the yearly Standard path), you can't use any limited-availability stuff that's older than the previous 2 calender years. Since the shrine to the barrel god was from 2015, it (and all the stuff that comes from it) will no longer be "in Standard" once we get to 2018.

None of this affects aftercore in any way.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

you'll still be able to use the barrel mimic once it drops out of Standard, but only for old challenge paths or non-Standard runs. playing Standard gets you more karma, and also rewards you with part of this year's Standard equipment.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
Applied to The Protected as Losar, really really bored at work and this'll do.

O_Kafetzis
Feb 15, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have ascended 2 times and I am about to ascend again. I have a stock pile of adventures that I want to use before ascending. I am going to save some in order to double dip for Halloween. I am currently a Disco Bandit 14th level and I have access to Little Canadia. Are there any areas that I should explore or things that I should do?

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

O_Kafetzis posted:

I have ascended 2 times and I am about to ascend again. I have a stock pile of adventures that I want to use before ascending. I am going to save some in order to double dip for Halloween. I am currently a Disco Bandit 14th level and I have access to Little Canadia. Are there any areas that I should explore or things that I should do?

If you're interested in collecting familiars, be sure to do the Daily Dungeon every day - having a Ring of Boring Doors, an eleven-foot pole, and some skeleton keys makes it super painless. Also, if you want a rather useful skill that takes a long time to get, start earning filthy lucre from the Bounty Hunter Hunter - the skill is 200 lucre, and you can earn 2 lucre a day (technically 3, but the third requires some rather large investments).

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

O_Kafetzis posted:

You could spend your adventures at Lyle's on the right side of the tracks. It's a one-time world event, so the stuff you get from it might be worth something someday.

Unless you're going for a hardcore run, you could accumulate stuff you'll need to pull next time. Here's my list.
  • 3 Shore Inc. Ship Trip Scrip (For dinghy plans)
  • 1 Drum Machine (Pyramid Quest)
  • at least 1 Smut Orc Keepsake Box (Orc Chasm)
  • 6 Fizzing Spore Pods (Nemesis Quest)
  • 2 Stone Wool (Hidden Temple)
  • 5 Bowling Balls (Hidden City)
  • 1 Killing Jar (Pyramid)
  • 1 Black Paint(Pyramid)

This is by no means complete.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
almost got jicked real hard

:eyepop:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Has the November IotM dropped yet?

Ah, looks like it has! Pantogram--a way to summon new pants with different bonuses every day.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

xo skeleton is my friend

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Is anyone else having trouble connecting?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

fits posted:

xo skeleton is my friend

Goddamn. And here I thought I was doing well with a couple softcore ~600ish turn 2dayers.

I'm going to have to look into this skeleton fellow.

EDIT: Okay, I don't get what's so great about him. Bridge building, yeah, but you have to spend a couple hundred adventures with him out to get the Xes...

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 7, 2017

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

sfwarlock posted:

EDIT: Okay, I don't get what's so great about him. Bridge building, yeah, but you have to spend a couple hundred adventures with him out to get the Xes...

You get a +50% item potion out of it (Pair of candy glasses), but more importantly, it comes with an ability where you can force an item to drop for free, 11 times/day (like the Rave Steal combo you get after finishing DB's nemesis quest). This is very handy for filthworms, for instance.

EDIT: Darn got the number mixed up with Rave Steal.

Jeek fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 9, 2017

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Jeek posted:

You get a +50% item potion out of it (Pair of candy glasses), but more importantly, it comes with an ability where you can force an item to drop for free, 30 times/day (like the Rave Steal combo you get after finishing DB's nemesis quest). This is very handy for filthworms, for instance.

The wiki says 11/day, and also I absolutely did not know about this when the item was in Mr. Store. I am now Sad.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh that’s what the hug does! I thought it was just a bad delevel.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
filthworms is the most notable drop because most other asension important drops are either no-pickpocket, have a high enough base drop rate that they can be 100% forced just through +item drop, or are on a monster that you might as well just yellow ray. but its nice

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Couple questions now that I have some ascensions under my belt:

How did you guys grind out Olfiaction? My runs take about a week right now, and I feel like doing daily bounties could easily double that, but doing one or two days' worth in aftercore means it will take forever. Is there a good way to strike a balance?

On that note, how do skills derived from old IotMs interact with Standard restrictions? I'm thinking of getting Snokebomb once I have a basic skill set permed, because I tasted banishes during my Sneaky Pete run and want more. I assume I'll have it available during ascensions until it phases out in 2018, and after that it will stick around for aftercore? Worth it regardless, because three daily banishes will make doing bounties in the middle of quicker and help me get Olifaction before it expires, but I'm curious for other skills I could buy.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I ground out olfaction way back when you could only do one bounty per day. It sucks, but it’s an invaluable skill for shortening runs. Just do em every day you can.

Once stuff falls out of standard, it can’t be used in standard runs and challenge paths made after it’s out of standard. All the skills come back once you break the prism and finish the run.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
disintegrate is an iotm-derivitave skill thats a yellow ray that costs nothing more than 150MP, with a 100 turn cooldown

its cool, and good, and pretty cheap

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Oh yeah and it’s the space gate so it’ll be good for a long time

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Couple questions now that I have some ascensions under my belt:

How did you guys grind out Olfiaction? My runs take about a week right now, and I feel like doing daily bounties could easily double that, but doing one or two days' worth in aftercore means it will take forever. Is there a good way to strike a balance?

On that note, how do skills derived from old IotMs interact with Standard restrictions? I'm thinking of getting Snokebomb once I have a basic skill set permed, because I tasted banishes during my Sneaky Pete run and want more. I assume I'll have it available during ascensions until it phases out in 2018, and after that it will stick around for aftercore? Worth it regardless, because three daily banishes will make doing bounties in the middle of quicker and help me get Olifaction before it expires, but I'm curious for other skills I could buy.

With a good chance you already knew this, but you can pick up bounties on day 1, complete them on day 2 and pick up and complete new ones on day 2 as well.
I went about bounties by not doing them in run (unless they overlapped with zones I had to quest in anyway), but picking 3 assignments up in run, and then completing 6 at the end of every run.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The X-O skeleton is extremely non vital but everyone figured that out & then it turned out the pickpocket is reasonable so they're going to be 69 million meat fast.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Workshop car is going to be 100 mil before the end of the year yikes folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Work Friend Keven posted:

Workshop car is going to be 100 mil before the end of the year yikes folks.

Finally the pie man is not meant to eat has a use.

Also, I may not be as fast as fits, but I've had a good week. Knocked my PB down about three times.