Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

It's official, no more Verizon IndyCar Series after 2018.

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/921422067475599361

From what I've heard is they're going to stay on as an associate sponsor, but not the title sponsor. Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Quite frankly, they didnt do nearly as much for the series as I was hoping. Essentially zero activation that I ever saw. I heard that app was good, but I never had Verizon so I wouldn't know and I never met anyone even aware of it.

Whole deal is kind of a shame. Hope they can find another sponsor.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I have Verizon, the app is totally forgettable.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
The app is good as a replacement to timing & scoring, but the rest is negligible.

At least IndyCar has a good head start on finding a new title sponsor, hopefully they can find a good one

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

Quite frankly, they didnt do nearly as much for the series as I was hoping. Essentially zero activation that I ever saw. I heard that app was good, but I never had Verizon so I wouldn't know and I never met anyone even aware of it.

Whole deal is kind of a shame. Hope they can find another sponsor.

Still way better than Izod.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
It's gonna be Monster.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Wirth1000 posted:

It's gonna be Monster.

Nah if they're gonna follow the same strategy as the current title sponsor, it would be the Red Bull IndyCar Series
direct competitor to whoever is sponsoring NASCAR, and the market leader to boot

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
The Something Awful Forums IndyCar Series

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

The Something Awful Forums IndyCar Series

I'll start the wiki.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

KingShibby posted:

Nah if they're gonna follow the same strategy as the current title sponsor, it would be the Red Bull IndyCar Series
direct competitor to whoever is sponsoring NASCAR, and the market leader to boot

I don't remember the NASCAR GAP Cup Series...

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Red Bull as title sponsor would probably be close to best case scenario. Watch it end up being something comparatively boring like Firestone.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You do not want Red Bull involved.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This is bad news.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
At least IndyCar has an entire year to figure their poo poo out. Let's just hope the new cars make the product very enticing to potential suitors so it doesn't end up being like the Weinstein Co. Presents IndyCar.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Whats the brand of energy drinks dollar tree sells?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

dentist toy box posted:

Whats the brand of energy drinks dollar tree sells?

Amp, lol

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Rip-It IndyCar Series

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

pitchfork media indiecar series

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Indycar World Series presented by Mark Plourde

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Amp is Pepsi, so i would be quite ok with this

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

At least IndyCar has an entire year to figure their poo poo out. Let's just hope the new cars make the product very enticing to potential suitors so it doesn't end up being like the Weinstein Co. Presents IndyCar.

NASCAR also had a year and a half to get a title sponsor and they ended up getting completely lowballed, so the timeframe doesn't exactly make me confident here.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

kidcoelacanth posted:

NASCAR also had a year and a half to get a title sponsor and they ended up getting completely lowballed, so the timeframe doesn't exactly make me confident here.

There's also the consideration that NASCAR getting much less than they were looking for could affect Indycar. A potential sponsor could say to Indycar, "you want how much?! Why should we give you that when NASCAR didn't get nearly as much, and they're more popular than you?"

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Minto Took posted:

Rip-It IndyCar Series

That's the dollar tree one!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The Dr. Pep! Indycar Series

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Is Pep Boys will in business?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Red Bull as title sponsor would probably be close to best case scenario. Watch it end up being something comparatively boring like Firestone.

You mean something like "The Firestone Indycar Series powered by Honda"?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/Hinchtown/status/921455880733851650

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Papa Hinchcliffe wont tolerate any tomfoolery

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot rumor from reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/INDYCAR/comments/77ui9p/spanish_mexico_indycar_race_will_be_announced

Long and short of it: ESPN Mexico is reporting that Indy has reached a deal to have an August race in Mexico City and will be officially announced after the Mexican GP.

:mexico::hf::getin:

e: hat tip to Windyman for digging it up.

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 22, 2017

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Google Translate

quote:

In addition, it is expected that there will be two or three Mexican drivers in the competition; Esteban Gutiérrez , ex F1 , works to have a seat full time in the series 'openwheel' North American.

Good to see The Gut trying to stick with the series.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Bentai posted:

Google Translate

Good to see The Gut trying to stick with the series.

Eh. He's garbage.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

iospace posted:

Hot rumor from reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/INDYCAR/comments/77ui9p/spanish_mexico_indycar_race_will_be_announced

Long and short of it: ESPN Mexico is reporting that Indy has reached a deal to have an August race in Mexico City and will be officially announced after the Mexican GP.

:mexico::hf::getin:

e: hat tip to Windyman for digging it up.

All the good poo poo I find I just steal from Reddit.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Eh. He's garbage.

He's bad, but having him probably played a big role in landing Mexico City. Now my expectation for any crappy F1 reject coming to Indycar is that they help add a race somewhere cool. Jolyon Palmer can come if he gets us Brands Hatch.

Edit: Chilton is allowed because he (eventually) brought a new team, which is also acceptable.

Theris fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 22, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Eh. He's garbage.

Yes but he’s a big name in a North American market and will bring attention and help fill another seat at least part-time, hopefully full time. He probably won’t challenge for races or a title, but IndyCar probably isn’t in the place to turn away pay drivers with F1 experience.

See also Max Chilton :colbert:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Who knows, maybe the new car will suit him well.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Theris posted:

Jolyon Palmer can come if he gets us Brands Hatch.

The Indy circuit they've used before can gently caress itself though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The problem with the full GP circuit though is it's close to houses (being an old track), so they only have a limited amount of weekends to use the full circuit, so one of the other series' that uses the full layout would have to get bumped for Indycar to get in. Now Donington though....

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The Indy circuit they've used before can gently caress itself though.

It owns.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You'll be shocked SHOCKED to learn that Oliver Askew, the guy who dominated F2000, was fastest in his first test in the new Pro Mazda car:

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2017/10/23/mrti-chris-griffis-test-sunday-times-and-notebook/

Also Franzoni, moving up to Lights, posted some good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph4wtgfQBaY

• Locked thread