Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rahul posted:

One thing I really don't understand is why everyone seems to think that any money that beneficiaries get immediately disappears into a black hole.
It's not like they're stashing their checks in the Cayman islands or anything. Like, is it really a hard thing to grasp that beneficiaries tend to, you know, actually spend their benefit money and therefore circulate it through the economy?
Aside from economic stimulus, there's also other fringe benefits too, like for example not having people stave to death in the streets.

Like, seriously, what do people actually think happens to all this money that these 'useless dole bludgers' get?

but they didn;t work for it!

had fun time with gf tonight who voted for national and waht made the night good was that we didnt talk about it once

bobbilljim posted:

Funny how national voters are not slow to get the dole as soon as they lose their job, which is stealing according to them??

when my dad had to go on disability and he felt the system was utterly humiliating

but of course he deserved it and erveryone else just bludges

vote blue he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I was once compared to a dented can of baked beans, also later told that I wouldn't get a job "looking like that" despite mentioning moments earlier that I had a second interview for a position.

I was young, had no responsibilities, a degree in computer science, was arrogant enough to think the case worker didn't know poo poo about poo poo, and was cynical, so I just laughed it off. I can't imagine how that sort of talk would affect someone who was none of those things.

Although, I still think case workers are not nessecarily qualified for the position they find themselves in but not because of arrogance this time.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Rahul posted:

One thing I really don't understand is why everyone seems to think that any money that beneficiaries get immediately disappears into a black hole.
It's not like they're stashing their checks in the Cayman islands or anything. Like, is it really a hard thing to grasp that beneficiaries tend to, you know, actually spend their benefit money and therefore circulate it through the economy?
Aside from economic stimulus, there's also other fringe benefits too, like for example not having people stave to death in the streets.

Like, seriously, what do people actually think happens to all this money that these 'useless dole bludgers' get?

The bullshit "beneficiaries taking holidays in Australia" narrative was specifically created to counter the point you're making.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

El Pollo Blanco posted:

The bullshit "beneficiaries taking holidays in Australia" narrative was specifically created to counter the point you're making.

I thought it was the "Malt, Malboros and Meth" one?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

True story, I actually took a holiday in Australia while on the benefit in my early twenties.

My dad paid for me and my brother to go to a weekend concert with him, so two nights and back, and a few weeks after I'd returned WINZ sent me an arrears notice for $900 that I had to spend like a month trying to prove to them that I hadn't been living overseas, but in the meantime they'd cancelled my benefit and then when it was all settled their mea culpa was that I could reapply for the benefit.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

klen dool posted:

I was once compared to a dented can of baked beans, also later told that I wouldn't get a job "looking like that" despite mentioning moments earlier that I had a second interview for a position.

I was young, had no responsibilities, a degree in computer science, was arrogant enough to think the case worker didn't know poo poo about poo poo, and was cynical, so I just laughed it off. I can't imagine how that sort of talk would affect someone who was none of those things.

Although, I still think case workers are not nessecarily qualified for the position they find themselves in but not because of arrogance this time.

Those who can get a job, do.

Those who can't, teach.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

True story, I actually took a holiday in Australia while on the benefit in my early twenties.

My dad paid for me and my brother to go to a weekend concert with him, so two nights and back, and a few weeks after I'd returned WINZ sent me an arrears notice for $900 that I had to spend like a month trying to prove to them that I hadn't been living overseas, but in the meantime they'd cancelled my benefit and then when it was all settled their mea culpa was that I could reapply for the benefit.

Did you inform WINZ that you were popping overseas?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Mr. Social media poster missed a few political parties from his wee list

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Despite being that close to governing solo National still lost. Why would we want losers like that governing us? Especially when they'd be teaming up with someone 99.5% of us didn't want anything to do with.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Weren't National trying to create a narrative that Bill English decided the cost of bringing NZF in was too much?

https://twitter.com/bryce_edwards/status/921479352725880832

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
We could have a referendum to scrap MMP, if only for the fact that the majority of voters actually got what they wanted, as MMP intends, therefore making a referendum outcome favouring the National voting minority unlikely.

Dreadful business, this democracy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spyderizer posted:

We could have a referendum to scrap MMP, if only for the fact that the majority of voters actually got what they wanted, as MMP intends, therefore making a referendum outcome favouring the National voting minority unlikely.

Dreadful business, this democracy.

It’s worth listening carefully to Winston’s speech, he’s very clear about what he did and why. Seemed quite heartfelt, even.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sebmojo posted:

It’s worth listening carefully to Winston’s speech, he’s very clear about what he did and why. Seemed quite heartfelt, even.

I had and he really does believe in MMP not that he isn't thinking how it has benefited him over the years of course. When the reporter(s) asked the dumbass question transparently trying to reframe MMP into FPTP Peters got visibility angry for a moment. I can't believe how many times he had to reiterate how MMP works and why it is good.

No moral majority or any poo poo like that. We have the numbers to form the government and I believe this is the best choice for the people of New Zealand.

Some understandable grandstanding aside it was a pretty good speech.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I am not really happy with the way it's being reported - as if Winston decided who should be in govt. Winston didn't decide alone, he merely decided last. Winston had as much agency as every other party. As far as I can tell, the greens decided not not even try and negotiate with the nats. I suppose labour and the nats decided to not negotiate with each other. Nzfirst, greens and that one other guy could have had a coalition and dared national and labour to work together to oppose them. I mean there are a gently caress tonne of ways this could have gone down that would be less democratic than it was.

When I think about it that way, nzfirst are the most MMP friendly party, and people should not be crying foul (fowl?) that our democracy is broken because 1 man decided everything - instead they should be calling out all other parties for refusing to work together.

Also, Winston didn't decide - his caucus and board did. I have no reason to doubt him when he says that is the case.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

lol none of these mother fuckers would be saying that if the opposite happened

it would be left wing voters saying it instead

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

oohhboy posted:

I had and he really does believe in MMP not that he isn't thinking how it has benefited him over the years of course. When the reporter(s) asked the dumbass question transparently trying to reframe MMP into FPTP Peters got visibility angry for a moment. I can't believe how many times he had to reiterate how MMP works and why it is good.

No moral majority or any poo poo like that. We have the numbers to form the government and I believe this is the best choice for the people of New Zealand.

Some understandable grandstanding aside it was a pretty good speech.

Yeah i think Winston handled it all pretty well tbh. Especially if as claimed Nats offered more "baubles"

e: mind you there's only 4 worthwhile MPs in NZF anyway, makes much more sense to get policy gains

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 21, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

klen dool posted:

Nzfirst, greens and that one other guy could have had a coalition and dared national and labour to work together to oppose them.

Wait, what? What other guy? David Seymour? Gareth Morgan? Whoever it is, no coalition without either Labour or the Nats would come even close to being able to form a government. If every other party banded together they wouldn't even have 20% of the vote

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

klen dool posted:

When I think about it that way, nzfirst are the most MMP friendly party, and people should not be crying foul (fowl?) that our democracy is broken because 1 man decided everything - instead they should be calling out all other parties for refusing to work together.

This.

National's policy was incompatible with all the other parties, they were unwilling to compromise, therefore could not achieve a majority. The fact that Winston was a maybe is irrelevant.

National, at any time in the campaign could have said "Hey, we'll consider some environmental and social responsibility issues if you'll consider working with us" to the greens, or even Labour, however they chose to go the negative campaign route, and now this is where they are.

The simple fact is not enough people voted for national policy or national compatible policy, that makes it a minority, that makes it's proponents opposition. We call that losing an election.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

They ran an FPP campaign, in an MMP election.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Wait, what? What other guy? David Seymour? Gareth Morgan? Whoever it is, no coalition without either Labour or the Nats would come even close to being able to form a government. If every other party banded together they wouldn't even have 20% of the vote

Well I didn't mean to imply that every other party would be able to form a govt, merely that they could have coalesced and negotiated together.

But as far as I understand, and I am not a lawyer, but the nats could very well have just stated that they are still the govt and if no one objects then they would govern. The reason you need a majority is so that a vote of no confidence would fail, so what makes a government a government all hinges one that one little vote. It seems to be quite a loose descriptive thing, rather than the law prescribing what a govt should look like. I kinda wish I knew more about all this stuff.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/_chloeswarbrick/status/921578739267289088

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

sebmojo posted:

"National is far more likely to stab me in the back, gently caress the wound and kill my family than Labour" seems more a matter of pragmatism than sentiment, tbh.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
He said listen carefully

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked that as a consolation prize that not only did the Maori party did not get anything they wanted or need but they got destroyed by their own "Partner".

I have a friend who is a centre left but he believes the Greens are some sort of Marxist monster looking to impose full communism. He knows how MMP works mechanically but somehow can't get over the fact it is designed to give the smaller parties a voice and when they form a coalition they negotiate to a common goal that tends to be the middle of the extremes. He thinks the smaller parties either exists to hold the government hostage and/or is a vestigial tail that should be absorbed into the bigger parties while he voted for NZF.

He is a good bloke all round and has an Mainland Chinese wife with a baby on the way but his politics is very :psyduck: ??????. He is discussing in good faith but he just can't get his head around the real world results and questions why, who, how, what, when that lead to it..

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

He does know we already have a communist party, right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

...we do?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

"National is far more likely to stab me in the back, gently caress the wound and kill my family than Labour" seems more a matter of pragmatism than sentiment, tbh.

Just look at how quickly they cut ACT loose.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedNaba posted:

Not really or it was far weaker than his attack on the media for doing such a poo poo job while being hitmen for national for trying kill both him and the Greens.

WarpedNaba posted:

Yes we do.

He trying to reconcile right wing talking points to left wing actions while being a leftist yet trying to be centralist not understanding the foundations of the left and right.

I did point out that there is a communist party and that they don't get votes which leads to him saying the Greens are Marxist. I then press him on the Marxist policies that the Greens have which results in him saying that poor people do need the help when they fall on bad times before bashing them in the next sentence. I don't reply to this because it is just too insane.

Politics break people brains something ferocious. At least he is trying compared to others I know who spit out right wing nonsense without a moment of thought.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WarpedNaba posted:

Did you inform WINZ that you were popping overseas?
Yeah, from what I gather the person I told just basically plugged "going overseas" into their system notes and that must have been it, no details or anything. The trigger was when I showed up for one of their scheduled keep-your-dole seminars - they obviously read the note when they ticked off my attendance and just marked all the intervening time as me defrauding the system.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Why would Bill go for a mince and cheese pie ??

Surely a Spag and cheese toastie

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was a “pizza”.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I'm not talking about his fancy meals.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress, I am going to stop reading nz politics for are while with the level of bad faith coming from the right is beyond insane. At least the USA is so bad it’s funny.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/MadeleineDuthie/status/921644033050533888

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

https://i.stuff.co.nz/environment/98122008/kermadec-ocean-sanctuary-put-on-ice-by-nz-first-catching-greens-unaware

It has begun already. Pity National took it slow after announcing it two years ago.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/environment/98122008/kermadec-ocean-sanctuary-put-on-ice-by-nz-first-catching-greens-unaware

It has begun already. Pity National took it slow after announcing it two years ago.

Jacinda's confident it'll still go ahead, with consultation: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/98130588/kermadec-sanctuary-still-on-table-but-iwi-consultation-key--labour

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LOL the people saying National would have rubber stamped it had they won. It was a PR stunt in the UN they never had the intention of implementing knowing the Green and what not would vote for it.

Even if he wanted to leave this as some sort of positive legacy unlike the obvious agenda and waste of time that the flag was having the opposition vote for it would have the right call him a traitor. John Key can't have that because he above anything else he wants to remain as an object to projected upon that is safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
?!?!?!?! The Herald just bashed Jacinda saying she cursed the All Blacks into losing.

• Locked thread