Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Abolish ICE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

also CBP while we're at it (i know ICE is Immigrations and Customs Enforcement but i think Customs and Border Patrol somehow falls under a different department. i could be wrong)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Trabisnikof posted:

What's the best article yall got to convince cjs that wildcards are bad?

rm -rf *

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also CBP while we're at it (i know ICE is Immigrations and Customs Enforcement but i think Customs and Border Patrol somehow falls under a different department. i could be wrong)

it's probably all rolled into homeland (blech) security

abolish everything under their aegis

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Phone posted:

rm -rf *

is there a modern linux that this still works on?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

is there a modern linux that this still works on?
you'd have to do something real dumb like alias 'rm' to 'rm --no-preserve-root'

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you're thinking of rm -rf /

* blows away everything in the current directory

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

e: quote hosed up but re: ICE trading cards and Kate mulgrew

Clearly but also not really

That's like looking at the USPIS' videos and saying they ripped off NCIS

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

til that my phone escapes leading quotes with a backslash when displaying tweets in the notification area:

here's the original tweet:

https://twitter.com/willblew/status/921559728320327680

lol, android :allears:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
paypal still escapes the apostrophe in my last name in emails

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

redleader posted:

paypal still escapes the apostrophe in my last name in emails

m\`lady

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

buttcoin idiot of the year https://www.businessinsider.nl/man-in-the-netherlands-sold-everything-for-bitcoin-2017-10/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im legit impressed how with that opening section it kept getting worse and worse

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

cheese-cube posted:

til that my phone escapes leading quotes with a backslash when displaying tweets in the notification area:

that's what you get for trying to whip a llama's rear end

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cheese-cube posted:

exquisitely crafted notifications

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

NOTI. SETTINGS

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

cheese-cube posted:

...wait, there's a Winamp for smartphones??

also since i just got the fuckin' security patch on my nexus 5x for the bluetooth problem does that mean i can probably expect a WPA2 patch sometime in early january?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

current windows 10 status:

*clicks "empty recycle bin"*

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

and it still emptied the recycle bin lol

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

also since i just got the fuckin' security patch on my nexus 5x for the bluetooth problem does that mean i can probably expect a WPA2 patch sometime in early january?

january 2020 yeah

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

current windows 10 status:

*clicks "empty recycle bin"*
one of the things i don't like about the fall creators update is those notification popups don't have an x to close icon anymore, they have an arrow to go into the notifications tray

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

one of the things i don't like about the fall creators update is those notification popups don't have an x to close icon anymore, they have an arrow to go into the notifications tray

im not too bothered with that, but i really loathe that i can't change default protected folders

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I appreciate y'all who update microsoft products early to be stand-ins for ms employee testers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

anthonypants posted:

wtf

is dismissing them just putting them into the tray? how do you finish them forever?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Powaqoatse posted:

wtf

is dismissing them just putting them into the tray? how do you finish them forever?
go into the tray and hit the x on there of course :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

anthonypants posted:

go into the tray and hit the x on there of course :)

hmm..... yea!

lets click 2 times instead of 1.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Raere posted:

I appreciate y'all who update microsoft products early to be stand-ins for ms employee testers

I just wanted the suse version of wsl :eng99:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

My cousin did his Wandos 10 update and somehow it hosed his display brightness so everything is super dark and I think its something with adaptive brightness loving up but the power management stuff says his monitors don't support it. So now he's cranking the brightness in the driver and it looks like rear end lol

beta tested in the future

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

can't you just automate the creation of new certs via lets encrypt?

or are you unwilling to allocate IPs to each subdomain?

SNI support is pretty much universal at this point

quelfromage
Mar 31, 2013
e:

quelfromage fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 25, 2017

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

quote:

It wasn’t too much later when the value of bitcoin plunged and its value was no longer clear. Suddenly, Taihuttu’s cost of electricity and property rental were too high.

Taihuttu then gave Dogecoin, a smaller emerging currency, a go.

“I’ve had a tremendous amount of it, but that coin was worth nothing,” he says. “The portfolio that I had at the time was perhaps worth 200 euros.”

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

that's what you get for trying to whip a llama's rear end

i'm on a permanent 24x7x365 whippin excursion, fyi

yeah, i started using it because it allowed you to sync music over yo network from winamp on your PC however that feature broke as soon as i segregated my wired/wireless nets however i'd gotten used to the app so here we are now

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

My cousin did his Wandos 10 update and somehow it hosed his display brightness so everything is super dark and I think its something with adaptive brightness loving up but the power management stuff says his monitors don't support it. So now he's cranking the brightness in the driver and it looks like rear end lol

beta tested in the future

speakin on win10 updating, i'm getting real annoyed with having a bunch of my system settings reverted every time i install one of them feature updates. for example, i disable the spooler service because i don't have a fuckin printer yet every time i install a big update it gets re-enabled. also i've got a lotta iSCSI LUNs attached so ive got scheduled disk defrag switched off for them however sched defrag gets re-enabled for all volumes after update install.

also my intel ANC teaming always breaks and i have to reconfigure (but im p sure that's also intel's fault)

that's my windows update story

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cheese-cube posted:

i'm on a permanent 24x7x365 whippet excursion, fyi

that feature broke as soon as i segregated my wired/wireless nets

seems like a dumb thing to do at home

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

every win10 content update also uninstalls the media extensions from the gimped european version. there's so much stuff that assumes they're installed and just crashes with a lovely error code if they aren't. installing them requires searching out the right version from the microsoft website, which has several outdated versions that won't work, and don't give any indication of it until you reboot, and try playing something

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rectus posted:

every win10 content update also uninstalls the media extensions from the gimped european version. there's so much stuff that assumes they're installed and just crashes with a lovely error code if they aren't. installing them requires searching out the right version from the microsoft website, which has several outdated versions that won't work, and don't give any indication of it until you reboot, and try playing something

Use a real version of windows instead of lovely N or K versions invented to meet stupid "Microsoft windows is too good" regs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

Use a real version of windows instead of lovely N or K versions invented to meet stupid "Microsoft windows is too good" regs

ive never even heard of tbem

• Locked thread