Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wait, holy poo poo, the voice of Optimus Prime did Mario?

This is amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPu0Zp1pK90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The Colonel posted:

zelda 1 has an insanely rough difficulty curve, yeah. that's about where i'd usually call it quits

Ah well. It was fun while it lasted. At least I managed to map out the overworld, which is why I felt like playing it in the first place. Maybe I'll consult a guide just so I can at least finish the game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Olive! posted:

I'm in dungeon 5 of Zelda and I think I have to call it quits. All the enemies move in unpredictable bullshit ways and they all do 2-3 hearts of damage to me. I haven't managed to find the damage reduction rings anywhere. From what I remember I think you need 12 hearts for the magic sword but I have 11 and I can't manage to get another one.
It's not exactly fair but like literally the first thing I ever do in a Zelda 1 run is grind up enough rupees (easy with the money making game to the left of the starting point) to buy the blue ring and get enough heart containers scattered around the world to get the white sword before even attempting dungeon 1. I can't imagine going into the 5th without either at the very least.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Nate RFB posted:

It's not exactly fair but like literally the first thing I ever do in a Zelda 1 run is grind up enough rupees (easy with the money making game to the left of the starting point) to buy the blue ring and get enough heart containers scattered around the world to get the white sword before even attempting dungeon 1. I can't imagine going into the 5th without either at the very least.

I got the white sword before dungeon 2 at least, just from exploring. I couldn't find a place that sells the ring.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
now i'm never going to be able to forget "THAT DONKEY KONG CAUGHT HIMSELF A GIRLFRIEND"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Olive! posted:

I got the white sword before dungeon 2 at least, just from exploring. I couldn't find a place that sells the ring.
Obviously you can just look it up, but would you care for a blue ring loc hint to try on dungeon 5 again?

That said, dungeon 6 is way, way, way harder, so uh, I'll forgive you if you give it a rest either way.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Nate RFB posted:

Obviously you can just look it up, but would you care for a blue ring loc hint to try on dungeon 5 again?

That said, dungeon 6 is way, way, way harder, so uh, I'll forgive you if you give it a rest either way.

Eh, sure, why not? :v:

If I can beat the dungeon I should be able to get the magic sword anyway.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

dungeon 6 is the one with the wizrobes, right? it always felt like you should have gotten the magic sword before that dungeon and not after it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Colonel posted:

now i'm never going to be able to forget "THAT DONKEY KONG CAUGHT HIMSELF A GIRLFRIEND"

Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

I also choose to believe this interpretation that Donkey Kong is just a lovable goofball who wants to help people while Pauline and Mario were circus hands serving as the equivalent of runaway slave catchers

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Olive! posted:

Pretty sure the blue ring shop is somewhere along the beach on the east side of the map. I want to say there is one other place you can get it but I can't remember since I haven't played the game in years.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't that the guy with the shoe? :confused:

Maybe that book I started reading will explain it all

kuribo is a goomba :ssh:

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
See also "Jugem's cloud" for the translators just not caring

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

garfield hentai posted:

See also "Jugem's cloud" for the translators just not caring

On the subject of translators just giving up, I'd like to point to the original translation of Final Fantasy Tactics, where the word "breath" was somehow translated as "bracelet." So an assassin's instant-death skill turned into "Stop Bracelet," and dragons would attack you with "Fire Bracelet."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Harrow posted:

On the subject of translators just giving up, I'd like to point to the original translation of Final Fantasy Tactics, where the word "breath" was somehow translated as "bracelet." So an assassin's instant-death skill turned into "Stop Bracelet," and dragons would attack you with "Fire Bracelet."

tfw u translate lich to rich, or ghost to gust

fft is a very special boy

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Harrow posted:

It was probably originally buresu which can be either 'breath', 'bless' or an abbreviation of 'bracelet' (buresuretto) and they picked the wrong one of the three. Maybe they misunderstood the context and guessed wrong?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Olive! posted:

Eh, sure, why not? :v:

If I can beat the dungeon I should be able to get the magic sword anyway.
OK. Best vague hint I can think of is: search near large bodies of water, and expect that you will need to move (as opposed to bomb or burn) something out of the way that is NOT a rock.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kanfy posted:

It was probably originally buresu which can be either 'breath', 'bless' or an abbreviation of 'bracelet' (buresuretto) and they picked the wrong one of the three. Maybe they misunderstood the context and guessed wrong?

Stop Breasts

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's what you get for playing the gba version and not the epic fan translation of the snes one where klarth says mint probably fucks like a tiger

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
While Arche has a loud sex dream next to them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I feel like I think about the dejap translation of tales of phantasia at least once a month

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Samuringa posted:

While Arche has a loud sex dream next to them.

that's in other fan translations too so it's not even a dejap thing

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Nate RFB posted:

OK. Best vague hint I can think of is: search near large bodies of water, and expect that you will need to move (as opposed to bomb or burn) something out of the way that is NOT a rock.

Well, I found it but I don't feel like grinding up the money for it right now. Maybe I'll come back to it later.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Unrelated. Toads are a prey species, they evolved to look like mushrooms - the dominant flora - as a camouflage. This is canon.

Who is the Toad’s predator(s)? Goombas? Koopas?! Is Bowser just popping Toads into his mouth like popcorn while waiting for Mario to show up to the tennis court?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Mario has killed far more Toads than anything else has.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remember when paper mario used to have non generic toads

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Miyamoto tossed them all in the shredder

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What happened to Goompa, is Goompa still in paper mario :(

edit: The goomba in paper mario whose name is "goompapa" and he has a sweet dad mustache is my favorite mario character. Sorry everyone else, you lost forever

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Whatever happened to Geno

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

we don't talk about geno anymore

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Whatever happened to Geno

I always imagined he died the same way as Edgar Allan Poe.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

he went back to his home planet

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

I always imagined he died the same way as Edgar Allan Poe.
Drunk in an alleyway wearing another man's clothes?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Raxivace posted:

Drunk in an alleyway wearing another man's clothes?

In this case a Koopa shell, but yes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I like to imagine he's a registered sex offender

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The White Dragon posted:

tfw u translate lich to rich, or ghost to gust

fft is a very special boy

final fantasy in general really

MIND FLARE

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

homeless snail posted:

I like to imagine he's a registered sex offender

do you really

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DLC Inc posted:

do you really

TBF, it is homeless snail's job, they are a writer on Law and Order: Mushroom Kingdom after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

do you really
geno is the kind of guy that you had a lot of fun hanging out with in school back in 1996, but then someone sends you a hosed up news story about him and you're like "yeah that sounds about right"

• Locked thread