Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Got the day off, I think I'm gonna use it to go through Shudder and hit as many as I can, but all stuff I haven't seen before. Even after having it for a few years there's a lot of good stuff here I haven't seen, like 13 Ghosts, Magic and The Mutilator(staff rec).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

31! The Beyond: Remarkably creepy and effective for such a scatterbrained "plot." If you need to pad your program with some over-the-top, mindless gore, look no further.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

This was a pretty solid road horror movie, which I suppose could be considered it's own subgenre(Duel, The Hitcher, Joyride). It's almost completely held up by Stacy Keach, but he does that better than most. 90% of the movie is Keach and his dingo, Boswell, just on the road hanging out and of course dealing with a mobile Rear Window situation.

The villain is not very effective, because he's barely on screen at all, and he doesn't really ever directly communicate with the main characters. But that kinda works in the movie's favor, because a lot of the first half is Keach trying to put the pieces together of what he thinks is happening. That's definitely the more compelling portion of the film, once the chase is on it became a bit more predictable.

It did have one of the better horror movie laughs I've had in a while, when Quid(Keach) is trying to chase the killer but his rig isn't in driving shape at the moment. So he steals a motorcycle but then as he's peeling out of the lot he just ditches the thing right into a wall. Then he curses and just gives up and goes back to his truck..

Not a 10/10 but I'd recommend Road Games for fans of Keach or really anyone who enjoys a solid thriller.

Completed:1.The Wicker Man, 2. Deadly Blessing, 3. Night Creatures, 4.Shock Waves, 5.Slugs, 6.Venom, 7.Maximum Overdrive, 8.Christine, 9.The Tingler, 10.The Masque of the Red Death, 11.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, 12.The Funhouse, 13.Poltergeist, 14.Lifeforce, 15.Invaders From Mars, 16.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, 17.The Seventh Curse, 18.The Mummy, 19.Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, 20.Hellraiser, 21.Hellbound: Hellraiser II, 22.Child's Play, 23.Cult of Chucky, 24.Leviathan, 25.Pumpkinhead, 26.Phantasm, 27.Murders in the Rue Morgue, 28.The Abominable Dr. Phibes, 29.The Devil's Candy, 30.The Visitor, 31.Prince of Darkness, 32.Critters, 33.Killer Klowns From Outer Space, 34.Horror of Dracula, 35.Brides of Dracula, 35.Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, 36.A Nightmare on Elm Street, 37.A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge, 38.A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, 39.Horror Express, 40.Road Games

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

19. Under the Shadow

Went for a random Netflix pick and wound up with this one. It's an Iranian horror set after the revolution, which was kind of cool (always like seeing examples from other cultures). Fairly standard fair otherwise with a mother and daughter being tormented by a ghost (or D'jinn in this case)

It was good when things were happening, but it sure felt like there was a lot of time where stuff wasn't happening. Also it's dubbed and the voiceover people deliver their lines very dull and flat which did not help keep things exciting.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

32. Q: Fun monster flick with a great B feature cast. Effects were cheap even thirty years ago but endearingly so.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

17. Frankenhooker

Frankenhooker is the story of an electrician who flunked out of medical school. When his girlfriend is mauled by a runaway lawnmower, he sets out to put her back together and bring her back to life. Of course, if you're rebuilding your girlfriend, you might as well give her the best parts, right? I won't spoil the rest, but "super crack" and multiple prostitutes are involved.

Frankenhooker is a movie that revels in its sleaziness. The jokes are blunt and crude, there's ample explicit nudity, and the whole thing is a bit insulting to women. That being said, it's hard not to like this movie. Had the movie been treated seriously in anyway, it would have been possibly the most embarrassing thing put on film, but the whole thing is treated like a giant, idiotic cartoon. Mannequins explode, body parts are tossed around, and throughout all this, the main character always has some stupid quip ready to go.

Ultimately, Frankenhooker is a movie that's just too stupid to be offensive, and somehow wraps back around to being downright lovable. Patty Mullen is goofy and likable as the "Frankenhooker", and the movie is paced in such a way that it seems much shorter than it really is (with a movie this over the top, a shorter run time does wonders). Take Bill Murray's advice and check this one out.

4/5

18. The Toolbox Murders

Where Frankenhooker was a fun kind of sleazy, The Toolbox Murders is just uncomfortably sleazy.

Claiming to be a reenactment of a true story (it's not), The Toolbox Murders follows a deranged maniac who kills women with various tools (naturally). That's kind of all there is to it. There's a Scooby-doo style murder mystery as well, but I'm not going to bother discussing it much.

The Toolbox Murders starts out as a pulpy slasher film that lingers on every grotesque detail of each of the murderer's slayings. The gore oddly enough, is all front-loaded, and the movie becomes a psychological thriller/crime drama about forty minutes in. The change of pace is jarring, but Cameron Mitchell is weird and creepy enough to carry the film once it slows to a crawl.

There's really not much to say about this one. I liked it (mostly for Kelly Nichols and Cameron Mitchell), but it's not exactly a fantastic movie. If you're not into that sleazy 70's style, there's nothing here for you.

3/5

19. The Exorcist III

Full disclosure: I've never seen Exorcist II (I understand is sucks quite a bit) and I only remember parts of the original, but I've heard multiple times about Exorcist III being a "hidden gem", so I figured now's a good a time as any to check it out.

The Exorcist III stars George C. Scott as a crusty police detective who's investigating murders that were clearly carried out by the Gemini Killer. The only problem is, the Gemini Killer has been dead for years. His investigation brings him to the psych ward at a hospital, and that's when all the devil stuff happens.

I like the idea of demonic possession movies, but it's so rare that they're done well. Exorcist III manages to pull it off. The movie is filled with creepy atmosphere and wide, lingering shots which gives the whole thing an unsettling aura. There are a few startling moments, and they're legitimately creepy and very memorable.

The best part of the movie by far are the characters played by George C. Scott and Brad Dourif. Scott seems like he's powered by general annoyance with the world and tums. He's loud, forceful, and barrels his way through each scene. Honestly, he doesn't really fit well in this movie, but he's fun to watch, so it works. Dourif on the other hand plays the role he pretty much always plays: a mentally deranged person who sits in a cell and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. He's downright bipolar, delivering every line in a scream, whisper, or growl, and you end up completely buying him as a psychopath.

Exorcist III is a fantastic movie.

5/5

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

25: Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988)

This could have been just one of a million crappy low budget horrors with a no-name cast, if it weren't for the tremendous amount of imagination put into it. Most of the gags may be by their nature predictable, but they're done so well that you don't care.

And come on, who doesn't want to see Return of the Killer Klowns From Outer Space - In 3D?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I said it when I watched it earlier in the month. I can't imagine why there hasn't been a sequel in a genre that makes a sequel for everything.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

October 19 - Hell House LLC

Years ago a group of people set up a haunted house at an abandoned hotel in a small New York town. On opening night, visitors flee the building in a panic and all but one of the people behind the haunted house die. A cover up of what happened in the hotel ensues, but a documentarian attempts to piece the truth together from footage taken during the hotels construction and other footage taken that night.

So this movie is terribly written. It's central conceit that it's a documentary about that night makes no sense since no documentary would be like this film. The acting is pretty awful. And yet I still kind of liked it. I think it's because the film embraced the haunted house theme and just went, "Okay, keep throwing spooky poo poo out there," and wound up in a groove with that. And really, isn't spooky poo poo why you want to watch a horror movie anyway?

One thing about this movie is that unlike most found footage movies, it feels like an editor actually took footage and assembled a movie out of it. Most found footage movies are just about running the camera to fill time and as a result there's a lot of things that don't make a whole lot of sense to be in a movie. Hell House, on the other hand, actually uses editing at several points; for example, they combine two shots together to show that something weird was happening. They're not that blunt about things through the whole film, but I still kind of wanted more of it since it gave the movie a distinct feel.

So this fulfills the requirement of "a creepy movie" nicely, even if I felt it could be a lot more. Still, it's not bad to run into one of those rare found footage movies that's actually watchable.

BTW, you know if the town is named Abaddon that there was some seriously evil stuff going on its past.

STAC Goat posted:

I said it when I watched it earlier in the month. I can't imagine why there hasn't been a sequel in a genre that makes a sequel for everything.

Killer Klowns was a near miss for me, but I would watch the gently caress out of a sequel in the hopes that they improved.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I will again reiterate that for whatever flaws Hell House LLC had it was the one movie this month that turned me into a little baby who couldn't go to bed with the lights off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I will again reiterate that for whatever flaws Hell House LLC had it was the one movie this month that turned me into a little baby who couldn't go to bed with the lights off.

Yeah, they got the tone and atmosphere right which goes a long way with me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not actually joking about that title, it was planned last year but seems to have mired in Development Hell.

Anyway, I need to accelerate my viewing pace a little as I'm out of the country from the 25th to the 30th.

26: Freaks (1932)

A classic which I've seen many times before, although this is the first time I've watched it with the restored (and in my opinion needless) epilogue. It was banned in the UK for over 30 years and still carries a 15 rating (equivalent to R) for "strong horror" despite featuring nothing overt. Stephen King opines in Danse Macabre that Browning's film has the effect it does because he used no fakes, makeup or props, and as the showman who opens and closes the movie says, everyone who sees these "accidents of birth" knows that but for blind chance it could have been them. The disquiet thus engendered is the real horror, not the fairly pedestrian noiresque plot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

13 Ghosts

I've actually seen the remake three or four times over the years, but for some reason never got around to the original. It's a really fun but still effectively spooky haunted house movie, I'd say I probably even prefer this to The House on Haunted Hill. I really enjoyed the way the ghost effects looked, and in general the movie just looks great, especially the moody lighting. I've seen a lot of movies kinda like this, but when I think about it not many of them were made before it, so I guess you'd have to consider 13 Ghosts to have been pretty influential in the genre.

The Devil's Backbone

I wanted to love this, but I ended up only liking it. I think it's because I've seen almost every other Del Toro film before this one. His style is a lot more developed in some of his later stuff, obviously Pan's Labyrinth comes to mind as a comparison, but here I wasn't as impressed just on a visual level as I usually am. The story was on the predictable side too, although there are some solid performances. Worth checking out but not top-3 Del Toro in my opinion, which may put me in the minority.

Completed:1.The Wicker Man, 2. Deadly Blessing, 3. Night Creatures, 4.Shock Waves, 5.Slugs, 6.Venom, 7.Maximum Overdrive, 8.Christine, 9.The Tingler, 10.The Masque of the Red Death, 11.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, 12.The Funhouse, 13.Poltergeist, 14.Lifeforce, 15.Invaders From Mars, 16.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, 17.The Seventh Curse, 18.The Mummy, 19.Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, 20.Hellraiser, 21.Hellbound: Hellraiser II, 22.Child's Play, 23.Cult of Chucky, 24.Leviathan, 25.Pumpkinhead, 26.Phantasm, 27.Murders in the Rue Morgue, 28.The Abominable Dr. Phibes, 29.The Devil's Candy, 30.The Visitor, 31.Prince of Darkness, 32.Critters, 33.Killer Klowns From Outer Space, 34.Horror of Dracula, 35.Brides of Dracula, 35.Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, 36.A Nightmare on Elm Street, 37.A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge, 38.A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, 39.Horror Express, 40.Road Games, 41.13 Ghosts, 42.The Devil's Backbone

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
#50. The Borderlands (2013)

The Vatican sends two priests and a tech guy up to a Northern English church to investigate the local priest's claims of miracle noises and shaking. Current protocol demands they keep cameras on at all hours of the investigation, including internet based ones strapped to their heads. As they investigate, things get more and more sinister...

You know, it really bothers me that by picking random obscure newer horror movies, I basically wind up with a 1 in 4 chance of NOT finding a found footage movie, you know? Anyways, I think that by having this be all headcams and surveillance, they at least dodged the "why are they still filming??" pitfall that far too many of the FF films go for. This was a slow but not terrible religious potboiler of a film, and I seem to always have a soft spot for them. I will say the ending is kinda weird and I had to look up a plot summary to figure out exactly what happened. So, be forewarned.

I give The Borderlands :witch::witch::witch: out of Five

#51 Seasons of the Witch (2016)

This presents itself as a story being told by a grandmother to her granddaughter. Once upon a time there was a kingdom and in that kingdom there were a king and queen. They had 2 daughters and a son, and the king also had a daughter whose mother was a white witch, which made her an outcast to the queen. Meanwhile a trio of black witches turn a random man into a Beast to provide them with human sacrifices. Eventually he is unhappy and wishes to become the king himself, so the witches bestow him the power to overthrow the kingdom and imprison the royal family. Now it is up to the witch princess to defeat him and save her loved ones...

Well. This was my very first experience watching a film from Nigeria, whose booming movie industry is nicknamed "Nollywood". I'd seen trailers for films, and little shorts before, but I guess I expected a little MORE quality from a full length film, which I picked as the first hit on google for Nollywood Horror Movies. Turns out it is actually a multipart story, and I'll have to watch part 2 to get the whole thing. Nollywood is...interesting. Like, just because Nigeria is an impoverished nation where resources are hard for the common man to acquire doesn't stop them from making tons of movies. It does however make the output akin to a Sophomore College Student Film in production values. Everything is filmed on digital camcorders, seemingly just wherever they could secure locations rather than on any built set, with .gif explosions and blood splatters superimposed for the average special effects. Plus the actors all seem extremely amateur. That said, the entire industry is strange and bonkers at the same time. I'll eventually watch more, but I'm probably going to wait a little bit first.

I give Seasons of the Witch :witch::witch: out of Five

#52. Godmonster of Indian Flats (1973)

Bonanza is a crooked town just a quick jaunt north of Reno Nevada. The mayor is a major tycoon that basically owns the town and has his own goon squad to back him up. A representative of the world's biggest mining company has approached him to buy out everything, which the tycoon stonewalls, while simultaneously the town is celebrating it's annual heritage festival which turns things into an old west type carnival. Meanwhile, a sheep farmer just outside of town has a strange phenomenon occur: One of his sheep gives birth to a monstrous mutant, which is then taken to a local scientist to study. Eventually the mob and the monster will have to meet of course.

This is a really strange movie. Like, it's about a weird 50s style monster, but that is much more the "B" plot to the film, with action much more focusing on the back and forth of the mining deal and how the townsfolk definitely don't like the representative. What's even weirder is it feels like the filmmakers want it to be racial (the representative is the only person of color in the movie) without ever actually saying it. At one point the goons even try to lynch him. Like I said, a weird movie.

I give Godmonster of Indian Flats :witch::witch::witch: out of Five

#53. Absurd (1981)

After an incident where a man impales himself on a wrought iron gate, it is revealed that he is a biochemistry experimental subject who has gained an ultra healing ability (think wolverine). This has also affected his brain however, and he's psychotic, wanting nothing more than to kill at random. So the police, and a Greek priest who helped create him are hot on his escaped trail, as he stalks a home where a babysitter and two youths, one in traction, sit unawares...

Don't let the description fool you, this isn't anywhere near as rad as it sounds. I was thinking about things today, and I decided that for the rest of the challenge (and probably beyond) I would try to finish out watching the movies on the British Video Nasties list I hadn't yet seen. This was the first one alphabetically so there I go. In some markets this film was titled "Anthropophagus 2", as it was by the same creator and with the same actor playing the antagonists in the two films, but they otherwise have no connection. This is probably filmmaker Joe D'Amato at his best...which is to say it's very mediocre and blah. It's a bog standard home-invasion, stalk the babysitter style film, but there is a bit of extreme gore throughout, including simulated open surgery. I'm sure that's what got it on the list. It's also got a kinda cool ending in my opinion.

I give Absurd :witch::witch: out of Five

#54. Axe (1974)

Three crooks go on a rampage, and then stop at a farmhouse to hide out for the night. Living there are a young woman and her paralyzed grandfather, who seem like easy pickings. But appearances might be deceiving when it comes to this mysterious girl...

This is a weird one. It's short but it moves very slowly. It's a bog standard home invasion/revenge tableturning plot, but it's filled with soft filtered, dreamlike tone. It's hard to put a bead on this one, and I can see why it was one of the choices for the great book Nightmare USA to highlight.

I give Axe :witch::witch::witch: out of Five

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
14. The Void

Had some high hopes for this one, but it ultimately fell flat for me. If you're being generous, you could call this the third-best Hellraiser movie.

15. Prometheus

A rewatch. I liked it a little better this time, trying to watch it on its own merits and disregarding its connection to the Alien franchise.

16. Alien: Covenant

Liked this one even less than Prometheus. Hated all the characters except the androids, which might have been the point Scott was trying to make.

17. Strip Nude for Your Killer

I love The Editor, and this is one of the gialli its directors called out, but it's definitely a weaker entry of the genre.

18. Society

Decent, but not amazing. With the slow build up early on, the film needs to be carried by its main character, and he's not really up to the task. The payoff is definitely worth seeing, but the ending pulls its punches again.

19. The Devils

Ken Russel's a treasure, and this film is a visual feast. Vanessa Redgrave and Oliver Reed are both fantastic. And I need to watch the rest of Ken Russel's films I haven't seen yet.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 20, 2017

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
20. Drácula a.k.a. Spanish Dracula, 1931

Back in the 30s when sound movies was new, no one thought about subtitles or dubbing, so they'd sometimes make the movie with the English speaking cast during the day, then do the same scenes with the Spanish speaking cast during the night. Sometimes the Spanish version would just be better. And that's the case with with one of the most important horror movies ever made. It's just a better made movie. The camera work is way more creative and everything looks so much better. There's no toy bat hanging from a very visible string and Dracula just feels more like threat. It's also a longer movie because the dialog is more fleshed out. The only thing that stops this from being an more iconic film is the lack of Bela Lugosi. Carlos Villarías is still good as Dracula, just that you can't beat Lugosi. That being said, both feel like Dracula and they both got similar style despite that they never met. This one is just as much a classic as the English version.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Made a paranormal comedy double feature last night out of Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters. Both still a ton of fun, as well as complimenting each other nicely in their mixing of the supernatural with the mundane, with Beetlejuice leaning a bit harder into the former and Ghostbusters into the latter.

Movies Watched (20): It, Werewolf (MST3K), Army of Darkness, Frankenweenie, Corpse Bride, Paranorman, Coraline, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Shining, Room 237, Teenagers from Outer Space (MST3K), Little Shop of Horrors, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Cannibal! The Musical, Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th Part II, Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, Psycho, Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters]

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
16. The Void (2016)

This getting a mixed reaction on CD and I can see why. This film really, really wants to be a big Lovecraftian horror flick and I love the monster design but a combination of a low budget and creative missteps (like the cult obviously being a mystery in the script but lacks the ambiguity that makes it work) make it a decent film that could have been great.

:spooky::spooky: / 5

Oh yes, I'm going to be going through a lot of films on my days off to get this done.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 20, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

28 (38). Fragiles (2005)

Calista Flockhart stars in an English production by Spanish director Jaume Balagueró (REC) in an odd little mix for a classic story of a ghost that torments a children's hospital.

I picked this one for the 31 Years thing but I was hopeful that there was some decent talent behind it. I want to like this film much more than I did. I love a good ghost story and there is one in here but ultimately I think the movie tries to do too much. There’s a totally unnecessary subplot about Flockhart’s nurse character being traumatized by letting a child patient die to make her care more about these kids and feel guilty, when she could have just cared about sick kids in danger. There’s a totally unnecessary romantic subplot between her and the doctor to make him care about her and believe her when he too could have just been invested in sick kids in danger and the nurse who cares about them. There’s a whole side plot where Flockhart follows another nurse who saw the ghost and visits some psychic ladies who just tell her stuff she didn’t really need to know or could have figured out on her own. And there’s a whole extended backstory and search for the origin of the ghost and even a bit of a fakeout when it really could have just been a scary ghost. There’s a day nurse played by Elena Anaya that seems to be unnecessarily having things going on that ultimately serve no real purpose. Its just such a busy film for a slow, moody ghost story.

Still, there’s a heart here. The end credits dedicate the film to someone named Madeline and while I can’t find anything on who that is it felt like a movie that had a lot of personal stuff in it. The ending sequence is really very strong and actually choked me up a little. Flockhart risks her life to face the ghost to save Maggie, Maggie sadly dies anyway, Flockhart dies as they frantically try to save her only for Maggie’s spirit to wake her with a “love kiss” like the Sleeping Beauty film they watched together earlier. Its all very sweet and sad and a little foreboding in a way as well as you’re left to wonder what happens to Maggie’s spirit if she lingers too long. If the whole movie had just focused less on that other stuff and more on Amy and Maggie’s relationship I think it could have been a really strong showing.

Still, flaws and all its a moody piece that Balaguero puts together well with setting, lighting, and sound, a decently creepy ghost at its core, and a solid final act that tugs on my heart strings. Not a scary ghost story, but a sad one. And there’s a place for those too.

29 (39). Green Room (2015)

An underground punk band runs afoul of a bunch of skinheads and have the most nightmarish night of their lives.

This was tense. Like, the sort of tension that just sits in the pit of your stomach and in the back of your head. Not ghost story tense. Not serial killer tense. It felt real in a way that was scary. I’ve known some bad people in my life. Not skinheads and nazis per say, but not that far off. I’ve known rockers and punks and the band felt like real people. Their situation felt real. The people they ended up around and the slight uncomfortable feeling of “should we really be here?” felt real. I’ve been in a few bars or clubs that felt a lot like that. Like if you were here on the wrong night… if you pissed off the wrong person… Maybe we should just go home.

Hell, I frequented a bar that one night after i was there had some dude let his pitbull loose to maul people.

There’s no crazy death game. No deranged serial killer. No supernatural threat. Just bad people with no qualms ending a life doing what they think they have to do. They’re not crazy. They’re just cold blooded and determined. What happens when the wrong person is in the wrong room at the wrong time. gently caress, I’m sitting here typing this in the comfort of my own home and I’m STILL feeling it. I’m not scared of ghosts. I’m not scared of demons. Zombies, vampires, werewolves. Not even serial killing slasher or deranged sadists with weird torture games. But is there part of me that’s scared of cutting off the wrong person in traffic? Of stepping on the wrong shoes in a bar? Of just finally making that one wrong turn that leads to tragedy and a nightmare?

gently caress. This poo poo got under my skin not in the way that’s going to be afraid to turn off the lights or close my eyes, but just leaves me unnerved and thinking about how the real world is a mad one.

Just gently caress.

October Tally - New (Total)
- (1). V/H/S (2012) / - (2). V/H/S/2 (2013) / 1 (3). Let Us Prey (2014) / - (4). The Crazies (2010) / 2 (5). The Boy (2016) / 3 (6). Beyond the Gates (2016) / - (7). Child’s Play (1988) / - (8). Jennifer’s Body (2009) / 4 (9). Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015) / - (10). Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) / 5 (11). The Void (2016) / 6 (12). Nightbreed: The Director’s Cut (1990) / - (13). Grave Encounters (2011) / 7 (14). Grabbers (2012) / 8 (15). Get Out (2017) / 9 (16). Society (1989) / 10 (17). The House of the Devil (2009) / 11 (18). Hell Baby (2013) / 12 (19). Ghostwatch (1992) / 13 (20). Let Me In (2010) / - (21). Child’s Play 2 (1990) / 14 (22). Splinter (2008) / - (23). Child’s Play 3 (1991) / 15 (24). Apollo 18 (2011) / - (25). Bride of Chucky (1998) / 16 (26). Seed of Chucky (2004) / 17 (27). Friday the 13th (1980) / 18 (28). Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) / 19 (29). The Babysitter (2017) / 20 (30). Curse of Chucky (2013) / 21 (31). 31 (2016) / 22 (32). Cult of Chucky (2017) / 23 (33). Fido (2006) / 24 (34). Hell House, LLC (2016) / 25 (35). The Devil’s Chair (2007) / 26 (36). Shallow Ground (2004) / 27 (37). Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016) / 28 (38). Fragiles (2005) / 29 (39). Green Room (2015)

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 20, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

14. Maniac (2013)
A remake (?) of the 80's movie, it lacks some of the original's raw griminess (I'm not sure if anything made now can match the griminess of late 70's/early 80's NYC) but makes up for it with some first person camerawork that puts you right into the action, so to speak. This was a rewatch for me, but I didn't recall it being quite this graphic when I watched it previously. The first person really gives a lot of impact (especially in some of the more voyeuristic moments where you hear Frank's heavy breathing, great soundwork). I think the final act doesn't quite stick the landing but still an extremely creepy, occasionally gruesome movie. Elijah Wood as the killer Frank puts in a good performance, especially with you typically only seeing him in reflections or other indirect ways.

4/5

15. Scorned
A woman catches her boyfriend cheating on her, then plans revenge. Not much really to recommend here, it never seems to go quite far enough to be truly scary, not enough humor to work as a dark comedy, and the characters and plot as a whole don't have much going for them to really stand out. Just kinda there.

1.5/5

16. Nocturne
Graduating kids decide to have a final party. While there, they decide to have an impromptu ouija board session. Not a bad movie for what it was, there's actually a decent amount of tension that builds early before the serious happenings start occurring. Reminds me a bit of Unfriended, without the only on computers gimmick but with better acting and a better supporting story in general. The ending was surprisingly grim. Much better than I expected (which wasn't much to be honest)

3.5/5

17. The Boy
A woman from Montana takes a job as a nanny in the UK. The couple instructs her on the rules of the house before leaving, curiously treating a doll as their child. Decent supernatural movie with a twist that's fairly obvious in hindsight. I'm not sure if the film ever really develops the characters enough to give the psychological impact the movie needs to really work well through it's early parts, but the plot keeps things moving along decently, the doll is suitably creepy, and the house is impressively grand and gothic. Could have been better, but it's a decent enough movie.

3/5

Total: 17 (12 new)
2 Jennifer [1.5/5] Gifts From Strangers [3.5/5] The Alchemist's Cookbook [4/5] Roadgames [3/5] The Gateway [3.5/5] The Thing [10/5] Phantasm II [3.5/5] Gerald's Game [2.5/5] Purge: Election Year [2/5] The Phoenix Tapes '97 [2/5] The Visitor [3/5] We Go On [3.5/5] American Psycho [3.5/5] Maniac (2013) [4/5] Scorned [1.5/5] Nocturne [3.5/5] The Boy [3/5]

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
#1 (Watched 9/23/17)
Friday the 13th
I had never seen this before. I had never seen any Friday the 13th before. I consider myself "into" horror, so I wanted to take the leap and just digest this giant franchise. This film has a lot of simplistic charm. It feels very well executed for its budget and uh... concept. It's pretty obvious it's trying to be a Halloween ripoff. I don't really think that's a bad thing. I think there are some interesting choices, like hiding the identity of the killer from us until the end, but also not having the killer be a person we've seen at all. I was pretty on the fence about this film until the very, very end. The quad-frame slow motion when the final girl picks up the machete was so great. I loved the effect so much it sold me on the entire film. Oh, I guess there's a scene after that, which I also really like, the final serene lake -> jump scare bit.

#2 (watched the same day, back to back)
Friday the 13th: Part 2
This one was basically tied with the first one, for me. It's the first one with adult Jason as the killer. It starts the every-growing expansion of the mythology of Jason. While killer in the first film is Jason's mother, exacting revenge for the death of her son, this story posits that Jason didn't die, and actually witnessed the death of his mother at the end of the first film. :psyduck: that's great! they're avenging EACH OTHER. This one looks better in general. I like Jason's shrine to his mother. One big criticism I have of both films so far is that, despite having Harry Manfredini scores, they have no concept of using music for suspense or tone. The musical score isn't used effectively to enhance the emotional energy of the films. This is poo poo that was figured out way, way before these films were made, and was obviously used to great effect in Halloween, which they are aping. We again get quadruple frame slow motion during a climactic moment, but it's not pulled off as well. It starts too soon and doesn't give the same impact as in the last film. Again, tied with the first one, does a great job building on the premise, improves the overall look.

overall, I'm surprised how much the franchise grew on me. I think I watched all the movies in 2 weeks.

Snak fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 20, 2017

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

#30 The Lure - The Little Mermaid but the mermaids eat people. The plot and characters get a bit muddled in places but it's got one hell of an aesthetic and the commitment to that makes it a joy to watch. 4/5

#31 Cronos - Rewatch, probably would have done something better for number 31 if I had realized. Early Guillermo del Toro that's decent and has in places some really great imagery. Ron Perlman in a ridiculous suit+turtleneck. 3/5

Total: 31
Re-watches(5): The 'Burbs [5/5], Hellraiser [5/5], Hellbound: Hellraiser [5/5], Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth [3/5], Cronos [3/5]
First time(26): Butterly Murders [4/5], Candyman: Day of the Dead [1/5], The Fog [4/5], Demons [5/5], Demons 2 [4/5], Prom Night [2/5], The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [5/5], In the Mouth of Madness [4/5], Inland Empire [3/5], Vampyr [4/5], Scanners [4/5], The Manitou [4/5], Crimson Peak [4/5], Planet of the Vampires [3/5], Raw [5/5], Friday the 13th Part 3 [2/5], Entity (2012) [1/5], Nosferatu [3/5], Poltergeist [4/5], Re-Animator [4/5], Cemetery Man [4/5], Halloween II [3/5], Creepshow [3/5], Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter [3/5], The Entity [4/5], The Lure [4/5]
Letterboxd list

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Cronos is one of the first Criterion Blu Rays I bought. I love that movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

20. Hell House LLC

Decided to check this out based on the reviews in here, and you guys were all pretty on point. As described it's got ok but not great acting, but a really cool setup and atmosphere, and it gets genuinely scary at points. Not the best but I'd recommend it (I do for some reason really like Found Footage so ymmv)

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 20, 2017

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Is Hell House LLC on American Netflix?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

33. Undead: Put it on while fiddling with a project and the first few minutes were so bad that I was going to turn it off once I had my hands free. But it got watchable from there. I'm not going to recommend this cornball movie but liked it well enough.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 1, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I watched it on Amazon Prime.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

American Amazon and Canadian Shudder I know for sure

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Retro Futurist posted:

It's on U.S. Shudder too, just showed up this week.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Retro Futurist posted:

Good to know. I watched the last of my unwatched DVDs (Phantasm II) the other night and there’s nothing I want to see on Netflix so I need another source for new movies. Looks like I’ll be hitting up the free trial this weekend

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
2. TCM: The Beginning
3. Halloween (2007)
4. Friday the 13th (2009)
5. Hollywood Ghost Stories (1986)
6. Halloween 2 (2009)
7. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
8. Scream 4
9. Texas Chainsaw 3D
10. Mother!
11. Never Sleep Again
12. Lurdiak's Scream Stream 10/06
13. Scream Stream 10/07
14. Scream Stream 10/08
15. Crystal Lake Memories
16. Dracula (1931)
17. The Limehouse Golem
18. Frankenstein (1931)
19. The Mummy (1932)
20. The Invisible Man

It's hard to know where to start with this film. It's a picture that starts so simply, then slowly and wildly grows in scope as the implication of it's premise is exposed. It's one of the great sci-fi films, exploring it's fairly ludicrous premise to it's stone faced natural conclusion. In a way that filmmaking could have been considered somewhat homogenised by the restrictions put upon them at the time, it takes quite a bit of ingenuity to keep audiences like me in suspense and in surprise about the directions it goes.

Same as Dracula starred Bela Lugosi and Frankenstein had Boris Karloff, this film has Claude Rains carrying it on it's back. And much like Bela and Boris, he is more than admirably carrying it with ease (and a little bit of haminess). Though where Dracula is portrayed as the outsider who merely emulates us, and Frankenstein is a being completely alien to us, the titular Gentleman is supposed to be a reflection of common man. One who has let something deep inside him, something that holds inside all of us, consume him. And he holds a similar spot in the pantheon of Monsters as Frankenstein, being both incredibly destructive but also arguably innocent of the crimes that he committed. That he is a victim of a process that could have made any right minded, god fearing man just like him. But he's uniquely dangerous that he is lucid enough to be knowledgeable of his ability, but is anarchic enough to cause as much death and mayhem as possible. And so what makes this film so different is it's unique fear of both the corruptibility of man and of his capability to cause horror from his shadows.

But what it is that makes this film so unique isn't just that it excellently sets up that premise, but that it beautifully pays it off in a world that naturally reacts to it. From the general disbelief, to the overall hysteria when the Monster is proven to be real. And both the reaction is both equally affecting as it is comedic. It almost straddles the line of Horror Comedy, and perhaps would with a tweak of it's formula. And perhaps this is most evident in the investigation, having highly intelligent men stumble around trying to figure out any way stop him. Especially walking from one end of a room to the other with a giant net, just to see if he's watching. And it works so well when they just nearly capture him, only to evade capture. It makes him seem both realistically human, yet believably unstoppable.

It might not have that same production style as Frankenstein may have had, but makes up for it with intelligence and riveting storytelling. It may be the most atypical Universal Monster Movie, but it may be my favourite for it.

21. The Bride of Frankenstein

Another excellent Movie. I've heard of it as the greatest Sequel ever made, and I don't think I could argue that distinction. It does an amazing job following up the first, further exploring it's themes and evolving the character that it honestly feels like the second half to the story. With the only sure thing being the titular Bride, it takes a wild journey to get to that point, acting to further muddle the character of the Monster. In this film he is inherently more Homicidal, committing more wanton murder even when the situation doesn't call for it, but increasingly more sympathetic. It is in this film that he becomes more of the anti-hero he is somewhat colloquially known as, becoming more human, learning to talk, and starting to communicate the pain of his existence. He's starting to understand, and he is only learning of the curse of being a monster.

And for the look, my god this film is beautiful. Incredibly artificial, heightening both the beauty of the natural world and the cold emptiness of the man made laboratories. It's a look that further takes the artistic falseness of Expressionism to further extremes. It's a look I wish carried over to the other films, but as is it just makes the Frankenstein films more special.

The only thing I can say against it is that it's pacing is somewhat off. It's a film with a wide scope (for the time), and jumps between different parts of it's world to the exclusion of others. And as beautiful as the scene with the blind hermit is, at that point I was starting to feel sleep coming on even though I enjoyed it. Not that I think it ruins the film, I just think it just shows the age of this film.

As is, as much as I liked Invisible Man, this film may be my favourite of these films so far. Being a perfect encapsulation of, and cap to, the story of Frankenstein's Monster. Filled with a beauty and emotion that a lot of films never manage to grasp.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

I haven't seen it and I'm in the lower 48, as for item three, I'll consider it, at least if it's available on streaming somewhere

Check your PMs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

27: The Witch (2015)

I think this movie suffered from trying to be the folktale of the subtitle. I really would have liked it better if it had left it ambiguous as to whether it really was a witch or a combination of religious hysteria, cabin fever and Thomasin's deteriorating state of mind. We would have been left wondering if Thomasin had abandoned Sam and lied about it, flaunted herself at Caleb causing him to run away in shame then die of exposure, and killed Jonas and Mercy in the goatshed before succumbing completely to madness and believing the Devil was speaking to her. Instead the story was based on tales of how these things happened; but in making them a visual adaptation rather than a narrative the presumed explanations created through a screen of ignorance and fear become presented as fact. We the audience know a witch took Sam, that the forces destroying the family come from without, and ultimately that the Devil was real. It's still an excellently made and acted movie, but in my eye that detracts from the drama.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

18/31, Residue:

This cosmic horror film is a lot better than it has any right to be - there's a solid grounding in lovecraftian lit here that works in spite of the small budget, and the actors do a passable job for such a low budget feature. It's worth a look, and I'm going to keep the writer/director in mind, watch for his future projects.

4/5 oozing old books

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
17. Shocker (1989)

This was a lot goofier than I expected. Horace Pinker is a serial killer who dies in the electric chair and gains the power to possess people. The film is pretty absurd like when Pinker gets this power from a TV ghost or something. Though Pinker plays such a repugnant character it makes the film memorable and I miss when horror films had Alice Cooper in the soundtrack.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

October 20 - The Girl With All the Gifts

Frankly, I don't get how this movie ties into the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy at all.

There is a secure facility where every day children under heavy guard are carefully strapped into chairs completely restraining their movement and taken to classes. The children are brilliant and the military guards and teachers are clearly terrified of them. They've never been outside, their captors do not touch them, and the slightest personal effects are not allowed. Melanie is student #4 and is the teacher's pet. One night a doctor asks her to pick a number and student with that number disappears the next day. So when the doctor asks her for another number, she picks 4.

Okay, I'm being a bit oblique since the first half hour of the movie presents the scenario as a mystery, but if you've watched the trailer, check out the movie poster closely, or are just mildly clever you can already guess what's happening. I appreciate that the movie gives a pretty morally ambiguous view of the scenario. The surface reading is, "How can these people do these horrible things to this child," but then the mask drops and you realize that they're not comfortable with it, the child isn't quite the child she often appears to be, and maybe the actions are justified.

Really minor spoilers regarding the film's concept here: Zombie movies are so played out and stale at this point that even the rare well done ones like Train to Bussan don't thrill me. This movie, OTOH, really brings something fresh to the table by giving us a sympathetic zombie who still needs to die for humanity to live.

The Girl With All the Gifts is a really melancholy film. I wound up more depressed than scared or disturbed by it, which isn't to say there weren't a fair share of disturbing scenes in it. It's obvious from the start that there's no sunshine or happiness coming in this film; it's just a question of if there might be a bit of hope in the end.

Which brings me to my biggest problem here, the way the movie starts out is with some really on the nose writing. The story of Pandora's box comes up with obvious implications. There's a writing exercise the children do with obvious connections to the plot. I don't know if that stuff is from the original novel, but it's pretty ham handed in what turned out to be an otherwise great movie.

I really have to mention that though the acting is generally good except for a few bit parts, Glenn Close is goddamned amazing. She took a part that could have easily been a mustache twirling villain and made it incredible.

This is still probably the best film I've seen this month. It's goddamned intense the whole way through. Even though you can tell it's a low budget affair, they also knew where to spend the money to give things a few big sequences.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
#28: Let the Right One In

It's funny, I watched this last night, the same day that the reviews for The Snowman came out and all but declared it one of the worst movies of the year, and I would not have expected that from the man who directed this movie. Beautifully shot snowscapes, great acting (especially from 13-year-olds!), and oddly touching, this one was a real treat. I'd heard a lot, and it definitely lived up to the hype. It plays on vampire lore in interesting ways, and puts a lot of work into exploring what a relationship between a human and vampire would be like. It also uses one of my favorite horror movie ideas, a transformation as an allegory for coming of age. I'm also a fan of how little actual vampire moments it has, so the horror moments have that much more impact. Really good movie, and I know I'll be revisiting it sometime in the future.

#29: Inferno (1980)

Argento's follow-up to Suspiria! It never lets you forget that, the film explains the connection at least 6 times. It also has very similar lighting and set design, and a bombastic prog soundtrack. So how does it hold up? Pretty darn well! The story's really disjointed, and the acting is very wooden and supplemented by bad ADR, but like a good amount of Italian horror from this era, these "flaws" work in conjunction with the audio and visual design of the movie to make a really creepy, dreamy vision of the world. There are some really impressive sets and visuals in this movie, especially the flooded room and the finale. Even when it feels like it's slipping into cheap B-horror territory, Argento injects enough weirdness to keep it interesting and fun. If you liked Suspiria, there's a strong chance you'll like this one too.

Completed: Beyond the Black Rainbow, Rabid, The Driller Killer, Phantasm*, Phantasm II, Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead, Phantasm IV: Oblivion, Phantasm V: Ravager, The Prowler, The House of the Devil, From Beyond, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Apt Pupil, Wait Until Dark, Gerald's Game, Hell House LLC, Black Swan*, Happy Birthday To Me, Pieces, Trollhunter, As Above So Below, The Devil's Candy, Antibirth, Chopping Mall, The Terminator*, Death Note, Ghostwatch, Baskin, Let the Right One In, Inferno

*denotes rewatches

X-Ray Pecs fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 21, 2017

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
21. Demonic Toys, 1992

Sometimes you just got to watch stuff you know is trash. Demonic Toys is a dumb movie that looks very cheap, is full of idiotic stuff and yet appears to take it self seriously. At least as seriously as it can take it self being about killer toys. A couple of police officers go undercover to arrest a couple of criminals. Before the sting, one cop confess to her partner, who is also her boyfriend, that she is pregnant. Then the partner get shot and killed and one of the criminals gets wounded. She chases them into a warehouse full of old toys and the wounded criminal bleeds all over where a demon got buried in the past. The toys becomes alive and starts killing people. This movie got just the entertainment value you want from this kind of b-movie. The special effects looks real cool despite how cheap the movie looks. Nothing genius, just cool. It's the same people who did the effects for Puppet Master, so there is a lot of similarities between those movies. They even did a Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys Movie in 2004, which makes no sense since Puppet Master is shown as a movie on a TV screen in this movie. So Puppet Master is a movie in this movie's universe, yet they somehow meet? Probably for the best to not think about it. My point is this is a fun lovely b-movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

30 (40). A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

A South Korean tale of an older sister who seeks to protect her recently returned and seemingly unwell younger sister from the strange going ons of her disconnected father’s home and her cruel new step mother.

This was an interesting little movie that seemed to really master the art of keeping its viewers spinning and unsure of exactly what is going on. I thought I had the twist sussed out pretty early on and then about halfway through when I thought I had figured out the actual twist a bomb is dropped that kind of keeps you second guessing and asking questions. I actually think there may have been a little too much of that. I sometimes felt like I was playing some kind of pin the tail on the donkey game where I was blindfolded and trying to find the donkey but every time I thought I was close someone grabbed me, spun me around, and left me somewhere else newly disorrientated. I thinks it pretty clear that was the film’s intention and to that end it works very well. But I also found it a little distracting and I never fully got sucked into the story as a result. I was too busy asking questions in my head and trying to understand what was going on to ever just lose myself in the movie. For viewers who like to guess the mystery and do that I imagine that might be a plus, but I’m not usually like that so it had me feeling a little off.

Still, by the third act my attention was fully engaged and even after I had more or less made sense of things and felt I was following the action it still had my kind of intently watching what I knew to not even really be real as it became clear Su-Mi was just imagining all this. Still even after all is said and done and when the movie finally gets around to actually answering your questions and telling you what happened they hold onto one last disorientating surprise that does kind of work and does actually answer the one lingering question I had of why the epileptic houseguest had seen a girl in the kitchen and some of the creepier ghost elements of Su-Mi’s delusions. Ultimately the blend of the psychological aspect of Su-Mi’s delusions and identity disorder and the presence of either Su-Yeon or “Mum”’s ghost both feel like it answers all my lingering questions and is a unique mix of ideas I can’t think of too many uses of.

This was one of my “31 Year” selections and while that’s become a bit of a chore as I try to find movies to fit the remaining years I have (boy, you guys were right that the 90s are scarce) this is a movie I probably never would have noticed or gotten around to watching if it wasn’t the only available 2003 movie that looked like it had a chance not to suck. And that was what I was kind of hoping for from the “31 Year” challenge. To force me to look into places I wouldn’t have if I was just picking random movies and maybe reveal a few good ones I might have missed.

I’ve got my second big highlight/landmark of the marathon up next. I effectively set three challenges for myself in this. 31 movies, 31 new movies, and 31 years. I hit 31 overall awhile ago and am now at 40. My next new film will be the 31st new (and my main goal) so I have to pick something good out. And as far as 31 years go I’m down to 12 years left and have tentative movies slotted for each year so I think I should be able to pull that off before the 31st. I still have a lot of things I wanted to do. Explore the Friday the 13th franchise more and the Phantasm one. Lots of classic rewatches. A ton of more recent films I want to watch that I’ve been putting off to fill my years instead. Lots of old movies that predate my 31 years. Not to mention TV stuff I want to watch I haven’t found time for like a rewatch of Stranger Things before S2, Amazon’s Lore, and SyFy’s Channel Zero: No End House. A lot left to try and squeeze in but I slowed down a little the last week as I got busy and my baseball team went on a playoff run. Gonna be fun to see what I can fit in in the last 11 days.

October Tally - New (Total)
- (1). V/H/S (2012) / - (2). V/H/S/2 (2013) / 1 (3). Let Us Prey (2014) / - (4). The Crazies (2010) / 2 (5). The Boy (2016) / 3 (6). Beyond the Gates (2016) / - (7). Child’s Play (1988) / - (8). Jennifer’s Body (2009) / 4 (9). Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015) / - (10). Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) / 5 (11). The Void (2016) / 6 (12). Nightbreed: The Director’s Cut (1990) / - (13). Grave Encounters (2011) / 7 (14). Grabbers (2012) / 8 (15). Get Out (2017) / 9 (16). Society (1989) / 10 (17). The House of the Devil (2009) / 11 (18). Hell Baby (2013) / 12 (19). Ghostwatch (1992) / 13 (20). Let Me In (2010) / - (21). Child’s Play 2 (1990) / 14 (22). Splinter (2008) / - (23). Child’s Play 3 (1991) / 15 (24). Apollo 18 (2011) / - (25). Bride of Chucky (1998) / 16 (26). Seed of Chucky (2004) / 17 (27). Friday the 13th (1980) / 18 (28). Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) / 19 (29). The Babysitter (2017) / 20 (30). Curse of Chucky (2013) / 21 (31). 31 (2016) / 22 (32). Cult of Chucky (2017) / 23 (33). Fido (2006) / 24 (34). Hell House, LLC (2016) / 25 (35). The Devil’s Chair (2007) / 26 (36). Shallow Ground (2004) / 27 (37). Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016) / 28 (38). Fragiles (2005) / 29 (39). Green Room (2015) / 30 (40). A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

October 20 - The Girl With All the Gifts

Which brings me to my biggest problem here, the way the movie starts out is with some really on the nose writing. The story of Pandora's box comes up with obvious implications. There's a writing exercise the children do with obvious connections to the plot. I don't know if that stuff is from the original novel, but it's pretty ham handed in what turned out to be an otherwise great movie.

It's actually worse in the novel. It's the one flaw in what is otherwise a great book. Still, if it gets us a Netflix or BBC adaptation of The Devil You Know or The House of War and Witness it'll be worth it.

• Locked thread