Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Hokuto posted:

Did the early ACE games have original protagonists and villains? I don't remember.

The first ACE game was just a silent no named pilot for Genspest and Cloudbreaker and the whole plot revolved around the lisenced series with the final battle being against Char if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hokuto posted:

The mass produced Grandzone turned into the mainline unit of the Earth Federation, and every Feddie pilot who rode in one was inspired to value their life, leading to them dodging or defending all enemy attacks occurring while main protagonists were on the map, and moving away from the enemy.

Please, the Grandzone was not designed for combat and it would break Sandle's heart to know one of his machines was used so callously.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Thanks for clearing that up the Shurouga stuff for me!

SRX + Irm Team (sponsored by Mao industries), ATX + Octo Squad, New Instructors and then the Kurogane Gang gives you about 10 units in each bundle once all the various small groups are spread around which sounds alright for a bunch of small groups spread thin dealing with lots of smaller stuff. Gradually merge the routes though so you don't go from 10 to 40 units in the space of a single stage because that always sucks. I think you'd have to do it like a big Protagonist style split instead of the standard route splits. Introducing everybody is rough though because there's so many dudes. Maybe the optional route split recap scene but with new people introducing themselves. Less dry and study-like than the intermission library.

Ryoga posted:

As much crap as the various animated OG series got, I really liked a lot of the new content they made for them. The MP Wildschwein looked so much better than the MP Huckebein, Kyosuke's Gespenst MK II Type S custom when the Alt was in the shop, DiSRX was interesting as a one off thing, despite being a joke Gravilion and Sol Gravilion were actually pretty badass for a DC made super robot not named Valsion, I also dug the Einst variant Cybuster that appeared at the end which if I recall was a recycled rejected design from the old days.

Don't forget the Guarbein Trombe which is certainly not just a Huckebein with a Guarlion hat on.

Schwarzwald posted:

Please, the Grandzone was not designed for combat and it would break Sandle's heart to know one of his machines was used so callously.

That's exactly why the pilots or defend or dodge against all enemy attacks. Truly, Professor Sandle is the nicest science boy around.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

OG is an opportunity to better integrate all the storylines since they own all of them, but boy have they been biffing it hard in that respect in the last few games.

Since OG2, and the tragedy of it is that the core of the series still revolves around a relatively small set of plotlines (the Balmar, the Zvorg, and the fading embers of the School, the DC, and Lord of Elemental) but they still keep throwing in other random crap that has nothing to do with anything and then not knowing what to do with them. The MX crew are complete nonpresences in literally the next game after they debuted, and the D team isn't faring that much better. Meanwhile the Einst and whatever Compatikaiser is about keep getting resurrected, increasingly laboriously, and the DGG project is filler of itself. There's no reason not to think that at the beginning of OG4, Touya casually shows up, introduces his girlfriends and his sacred god machine with time powers, and then never has another line for the rest of the game but they still take up space in the roster.

At this rate, never seeing the Trailers, Sphere Reactors, or Nine would be a mercy.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 18, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Introduce 4 new OG plots, each new protagonists joining one team, and then have the 4 routes only merge near the end.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Introduce 4 new OG plots, each new protagonists joining one team, and then have the 4 routes only merge near the end.

All new, or like, Mist Rex?

Edit: Okay, Hiryu Kai gets the Valhawk team. Ichitaka goes with Hagane. Cobray goes to the Aggressors. Kurogane gets Selena. Seems good?

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 18, 2017

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

EthanSteele posted:

Don't forget the Guarbein Trombe which is certainly not just a Huckebein with a Guarlion hat on.

I think it's more alarming that I didn't mention the great moment of, "I'm going to dock with the AM Gunner... with the boxer frame still on!".

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ryoga posted:

I think it's more alarming that I didn't mention the great moment of, "I'm going to dock with the AM Gunner... with the boxer frame still on!".

I desperately want Ring's reintroduction to be her doing that while hooting and hollering how she knows the cheat codes because she invented the drat things.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ryoga posted:

The first ACE game was just a silent no named pilot for Genspest and Cloudbreaker and the whole plot revolved around the lisenced series with the final battle being against Char if I remember correctly.

ACE 2 had its own original characters and subplot but it took a back seat to the main story. You resolve the original plot way before the actual final stage, which is DYRL themed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ryoga posted:

Little silly things like that are why I prefer The Inspector over Divine Wars. It's clear that Obari and his team were having fun with adapting OG2's clusterfuck of a plot, while the Divine Wars staff just made a low budget by-the-numbers adaptation with no real heart to it. Divine Wars hit the plot beats and did little outside of giving a couple of pilots their now canon pilot suits, whereas The Inspector had fun making jabs at the source material, like with the Guarbein being two jokes in one (a jab at Ratsel's hilariously thin disguise and a possibly mild swipe at whatever issues with the Huckebein line are). Hell, the color palette for Divine Wars was this ugly washed out and muted tone, and nothing like the usually vibrant color palette the OG games go for. Even if I wasn't all in on making Wendolo an Einst puppet at the end, The Inspector was still leagues better than Divine Wars could even dream of being.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

MonsieurChoc posted:

Only if they're basically their own games. A game of, like, 4 x 12-stage routes with a couple extra maps for the finale would feel astoundingly short, even if you were forced to play all 4 routes consecutively to reach the finale, because it would cover a much shorter in-universe timespan than regular games do. There wouldn't be much time for one plot, let alone four.

OG3.1 - 3.4 is sort of something I could get behind, though. I really don't think they should do another MD with like 70 units where I struggle to care about half of them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blockhouse posted:

My big secret is I don't like the OG games and am pretty much just into this series for the crazy crossover poo poo

Agreed, heck J and V are the only ones that really feel like the OG characters aren't a detriment to the game

Blockhouse posted:

I rather see the actual anime series than characters trying to imitate those series as hard as possible.

Agreed, I still overall feel OG characters are a waste of space and budget

Also honestly most OG mecha designs that SRW has had are either bland or hideous

Endorph posted:

You can have a licensed character basically be the main character - there are long chunks of Z2.1 where Lelouch is basically the protagonist and Crowe is just kind of hanging around - but there's a long walk between that and the licensed character literally being the main character.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done well, I'm saying they aren't allowed to do it.

Not sure why there has to be a specific protagonist/main character in the first place, just shift around the perspective to whichever series is the focus of that particular stage

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm definitely not in favor of ditching OG characters forever. I love that poo poo. I want it to be in more games.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

Edit: Okay, Hiryu Kai gets the Valhawk team. Ichitaka goes with Hagane. Cobray goes to the Aggressors. Kurogane gets Selena. Seems good?

Sounds good to me.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Only if they're basically their own games. A game of, like, 4 x 12-stage routes with a couple extra maps for the finale would feel astoundingly short, even if you were forced to play all 4 routes consecutively to reach the finale, because it would cover a much shorter in-universe timespan than regular games do. There wouldn't be much time for one plot, let alone four.

OG3.1 - 3.4 is sort of something I could get behind, though. I really don't think they should do another MD with like 70 units where I struggle to care about half of them.

I was thinking more of an Alpha 2/3/Z1 kinda thing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

I kinda feel like the Hagane and Kurogane get the short end of the stick there.

Mist of course shows up in every route.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Ardygun's have their own boat so they can carry the Aggressors around.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I kinda feel like the Hagane and Kurogane get the short end of the stick there.

Mist of course shows up in every route.

Mist is rewritten to be the final boss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Agreed, heck J and V are the only ones that really feel like the OG characters aren't a detriment to the game
the originals are the best part of W

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I really like the general idea of Sidereal in Z3 though. It almost comes across as like, an actual antagonistic counterpart to your entire team, a collection of disparate individuals from different backgrounds with totally different thematics even down to their grunts. If something like ZEUTH can exist with heroes from all sorts of dimensions coming together, why can't another group just like that come into conflict with them?

but it kinda doesn't have much impact so w/e

also I never know what to think about the Fury, they don't really seem like they fit in very well to me...but then, J never had much series integration to begin with, they didn't really pick shows meant for that. They very much went all-in on a theme of 'heroes who have to fight their own family' that everyone's kind of all over the place in the end and everyone can only resolve conflicts related to their own series. The requisite Combattler and Voltes crew hanging out a lot was the only instance I can really think of where characters had any meaningful interaction with anyone outside their canon.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The theme of SRWJ is bowing down to the might of the Zeorymer.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Kind of funny, considering how absurdly busted Calvina ended up being in OGMD.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

As someone who got into SRW and mecha thanks to OG1 and OG2 I love the originals.

Setsuko is one of my favorite video game protaganists.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Gyra_Solune posted:

also I never know what to think about the Fury, they don't really seem like they fit in very well to me...but then, J never had much series integration to begin with, they didn't really pick shows meant for that. They very much went all-in on a theme of 'heroes who have to fight their own family' that everyone's kind of all over the place in the end and everyone can only resolve conflicts related to their own series. The requisite Combattler and Voltes crew hanging out a lot was the only instance I can really think of where characters had any meaningful interaction with anyone outside their canon.

I was sure that the theme of J was Human offshoot/Human aliens/Human faction is space-racist against those who live on earth''s surface - Copy-paste 12 times.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 19, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The underwater people also were racist against those who live on earth's surface.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

The underwater people also were racist against those who live on earth's surface.

I included them in "Human Faction".

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Gonna be doing 2nd OG stream in a few minutes.

Edit: stream over

The face of failure right here :negative:

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 21, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Gonna be doing 2nd OG stream in a few minutes.

Edit: stream over

The face of failure right here :negative:

Truly a tragic stream.

Btw I checked the tapes, it was stage 43 you missed the sr point on.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The Ibis upgrade stage :argh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

The Ibis upgrade stage :argh:

Hoist upon your own shooting star.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MightyPretenders posted:

I was sure that the theme of J was Human offshoot/Human aliens/Human faction is space-racist against those who live on earth''s surface - Copy-paste 12 times.

The theme of J was people being forced to battle their friends, family, loved ones, "own kind" etc.

Like, take every plot used and you'll see this connecting thread.

Plot wise they didn't do a great job tying all the series together but the vast majority of the series have this theme.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Hoist upon your own shooting star.

Somehow I deserve this.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

In a way it's ironic the dream died due to not using Ibis enough.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ibis is like, the best/second best Real Robot pilot in OG2nd do it's your own fault. :colbert:

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
All times I told you to upgrade Ibis more, vindicated.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dr Pepper posted:

Ibis is like, the best/second best Real Robot pilot in OG2nd do it's your own fault. :colbert:

Look at the screencap above—She's my fully upgraded top ace and yet this still happened! How much more Ibis can you ask for?!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Whenever Ibis isn't deployed everyone should be asking "Where's Ibis?"

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hokuto posted:

Look at the screencap above—She's my fully upgraded top ace and yet this still happened! How much more Ibis can you ask for?!

You did not believe.

I have no idea how things went wrong for you I found that stage really easy when I played and even got the secret weapon tied to it without even trying.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think everyone was just focused with getting the weapon that they forgot the sr point wasn't done yet.

Though clearly the issue was that Ibis just wasn't used enough.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Always Be Checking Skillpoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think everyone was just focused with getting the weapon that they forgot the sr point wasn't done yet.

Though clearly the issue was that Ibis just wasn't used enough.

That loving Mountain Dew Shooter, I knew it!

• Locked thread