Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Crabtree posted:

USSR just used the tactic of let morons go into their expansive territory and then raise everything to the ground, it probably would have taken a little longer once the Germans stopped fighting in their area and the Russians were coming towards them, but yeah, it was a foregone conclusion the Nazis would have lost. It could have taken maybe even into the 1950 depending on how well Germany and the Nazi leadership could have weathered even more than 4 years of war, but if they were fighting Germany or even the Axis alone it would have taken a little while longer to bleed the Reich out.

About the only real chance that the Nazis had against the USSR was a Japanese invasion happening in Eastern Russia that could force the USSR into fighting on two fronts, but that possibility evaporated as soon as Pearl Harbor happened and the US started directly threatening Japanese holdings in the Pacific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Xenomrph posted:

For those of you playing Wolf09 and having a good time, I highly recommend Singularity. It's made by the same studio and it's basically Wolfenstein: 1950s Soviet Edition

I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times: Raven Software is legit one of the best developers of the last 20 some odd years, having done great work on Hexen, Wolf09, Stars Wars Jedi Outcast and Academy, Singularity, Quake 4, etc.

Too bad Activision bought them up and they've been wasted on making Call of Duty poo poo the last like seven years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

precision posted:

Are any remotely sane people actually making a stink about this game? I thought it was just terrible comment section stuff

no, just anime nazis and sometimes fullmac the worst hotaking critic. so yeah, idiots and crazies.

Wanderer posted:

Rogue Warrior, by Richard Marcinko.

He didn't fabricate much of anything about his career... until it was over, he'd done a stint in prison, and he made a fair bit of money writing what's essentially fanfiction about himself. The Rogue Warrior novels are compelling in much the same way as looping .gifs of major disasters.

i remember reading about that game early in development, it was supposed to be a rainbow six/ghost recon type squad tactics and all that poo poo. something went wrong and we got that.

Pendent posted:

It turns out methheads don't make good leaders. Who'd have thought?

yeah, wasnt he on pretty much every drug because his fat goon of doctor basically got him addicted to everything and he also had syphilis eating his brain.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, wasnt he on pretty much every drug because his fat goon of doctor basically got him addicted to everything and he also had syphilis eating his brain.

His doctor was a complete quack and random new chemical compounds and pharmaceuticals that had been made available by advances in chemistry were all the rage, so he was basically fed a smorgasbord of random toxic poo poo which certainly didn't help his physical or mental well being, he also had a fairly poor diet. With his brain missing doing a proper analysis of it is difficult but footage taken from late 1944 into 1945 showed strong evidence of the onset of Parkinson's disease. Later analysis of the poo poo he'd taken provided more insight into the shape he was probably in. A lot of it is now illegal for human consumption due to it's harmful side effects.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

FAUXTON posted:

He's a cyberdemon, not a shyberdemon

Well now he's a Dieberdemon because he's loving dead.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

David D. Davidson posted:

Well now he's a Dieberdemon because he's loving dead.

Whyberdemon

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

precision posted:

Are any remotely sane people actually making a stink about this game? I thought it was just terrible comment section stuff

Since its not out yet, no. But there was plenty to criticize about TNO.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

blackguy32 posted:

Since its not out yet, no. But there was plenty to criticize about TNO.

I think my post covered all possible criticisms, and any other ones are wrong. :smug:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The New Order came to an end at some point, I wasn't too crazy about that part. I feel The New Colossus may suffer from the same design flaw but the rest of it should be pretty great.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Only real complaints I have about TNO:

-sound mixing is off a bit so guns can sound wimpy as others have said
-the underwater section was boring (but thankfully brief)
-shotgun guys were kind of BS on the higher difficulties, even with the LCW scope
-boss fight kind of sucks
-some of the challenges to unlock perks are not really feasible without farming them (looking at you, enemies killed by dropped grenades)
-I prefer Fergus to Wyatt but J was way cooler than Tekla
-the sequel isn't out yet and I really want to play it

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

aside from the sound mixing the guns and grenades where also just kind of really plain and boring.

except the auto-shotgun with shrapnel shot. That owned.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I feel like there's room for a story where the Nazis develop super-tech... and still lose the war because, yes Nazis are that incompetent.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Klaus88 posted:

I feel like there's room for a story where the Nazis develop super-tech... and still lose the war because, yes Nazis are that incompetent.

They'd build super tech and it would be, like, a huge zeppelin and it gets shot out of the sky by a wing of mustangs.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think my biggest issue with TNO was the last level being kind of a slog on the hardest difficulty. I only played the game once but I have vivid memories of that drat multi level hallway with the mechs in it. By the time I got to the last section of the final boss I had run out of patience and just looked up a guide on what to do.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FAUXTON posted:

They'd build super tech and it would be, like, a huge zeppelin and it gets shot out of the sky by a wing of mustangs.

Mustangs from the 332nd Fighter Group of course.

Tuskegee Airmen

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
All my problems with TNO’s difficulty curve melted away once I realized you can recharge the laser mini guns at those stations that recharge the LCW and the sniper rifle alt fire.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

My biggest gripe with nu-Wolf is just the weapon design overall, I hate it so much.
All of the weapons kind of look the same and Wolf2 doesn't seem to fix that a whole heck of a lot.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm generally satisfied with most of the weapons, but I wish they had used more wood and/or colored polymers. But not too much, because I hated the look of the marksman rifle. Now the Bombenschuss, that was a nice looking rifle.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 21, 2017

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I hated having to push a button to pick everything up. The shotgun guys. The over focus on cutting fences with your laser and some of the base parts.

The Old Blood fixed A LOT of the problems I had with TNO.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The press and hold double tap to climb with the pipe shivs is really annoying though

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rookersh posted:

I think that's what he meant.

Even if America never joined the war, Nazi Germany wouldn't have survived. Their "blitzkrieg" only worked because they suddenly had SMGs and armored vehicles and got to use them on basically peasant militias using single shot rifles from preWW1. As soon as they ran into an enemy that could match their military might with it's own inventions, mixed with it's own war economy the Germans basically had no chance of maintaining a military state. I've seen more then a few stories about how most German tech at the time wasn't actually top of the line/"good", it was just the best when it came out because it came out first. There was that goon in the last Wolfenstein thread? ( or a CoH thread, god I don't remember ) that put up a huge bit about how tank design changed dramatically during WW2 to shaped/curved fronts to mess with shells, and the Germans were still using the horrible box design by the end of the war.

Add in a crazed demagogue that believed his people to be superior and would have never backed down against the Soviets and you have a melting pot of failure.

The idea of the superstrong German soldier using superpowerful German engineered weapons and vehicles that we barely beat with HEROISM and SACRIFICE came from the US/UK propagandizing after the war.

I mean there's some merit to the Nazis superior tech in some fields. Their rocketry was second to none, they were the first military to create viable assault rifles, their tanks were beastly (the problem was they were expensive to produce and difficult to maintain, whereas Shermans and the like could be spammed on the battlefield and overwhelm German tanks through sheer numbers), they had the first jet aircraft, etc.

A huge problem with Nazi R&D was it was totally directionless - you'd have competing research teams sometimes working on the same exact project, lobbying the Nazi higher-ups (and ideally Hitler himself) to divert funding and supplies from other research groups rather than cooperating with them, often because each group had no idea what the other groups were working on. It got even crazier in the later stages of the war where you have research teams throwing random stuff at the wall to see what sticks, as their supply lines are getting crippled and everyone is getting more desperate.
I mean their desperation spawned a lot of ingenuity but by the time things were entering the prototype phase, it was too little, too late.

Like they had a ton of crazy poo poo on the drawing board of which the vast majority didn't reach the prototype phase - my list in the second post of this thread has a big section devoted to the non-fiction side of WWII weird and crazy R&D.

Klaus88 posted:

I'm 100% sure such stories exist, I'd have to look over my list and see if anything pops out at me. Dean Koontz's 'Lightning' comes to mind off the top of my head. The comic book miniseries 'Time Bomb' probably counts, too.

The (dogshit) FPS called Mortyr sorta toyed with the idea - the game's premise is that the Nazis won the war using super-tech, and now it's 2044 and thanks to their lack of foresight, they've terminally hosed the planet up. You play a Nazi officer sent back in time to 1944 to ensure that the Nazis lose the war, because that will hopefully save the world.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

One thing I get annoyed by in these 'why Germany hosed up' is the overstatement of the idea their tech was good but too expensive.

Shermans were more capable than Panzer IVs and almost as much as the 10 ton heavier Panther. Strategically, they were far and away a better investment than Tigers. Not in terms of 'you have more tanks', but the fact you could rely on them to actually show up and do things. And the yanks could even give them better optics and stabilizers, and make them the least flammable tanks of the war.

Meanwhile, you compare the 262 to the British Meteor and American Shooting Star, the Germans actually had the worst of the lot. Which was why Russian cloned it before developing new better ones based on British designs

The point is, Wehraboos who claim 'German Steel uber alles' are divorced from reality, and I love how nu-Wolf has played with that

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, the Nazis had some pretty good high-concept technologies, but they were often actually rather bad at integrating those into something that's actually useful on a meaningful scale. For a war, you need to be able to field things that are reasonably easy to make and reliable in the field. If you have a great tank design that you can't really mass-produce, then it's not actually a great tank design. Some of their tanks had some really neat and intricate bits of engineering put into them, but those were only in there because their overall design concept was flawed in a way that necessitated those clever (and fragile) workarounds in the first place. That's how you end up with something like the Panther, a tank that performed quite well in actual combat, but that also needed a new transmission about as often as other tanks needed a new tank of gas.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

He's a cyberdemon, not a shyberdemon

:golfclap:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the Nazis had some pretty good high-concept technologies, but they were often actually rather bad at integrating those into something that's actually useful on a meaningful scale.

Exactly - my point was largely that the Nazi war machine had this problem both on a macro and micro level. The Allied war machine was a lot more results-oriented and focused, and knew when to halt or consolidate projects when it was obvious they weren't worth the resources or sustainable on a practical level. The Nazis let the whims of those in power devote time and resources to nonviable vanity projects. Yeah it makes for fun imagination fodder after the fact, but it's just one of a pile of reasons why the Nazis were doomed to fail.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein briefly calls attention to it - during one of the briefing cutscenes, one of the characters says something to the effect of, "if the Nazis want to waste time and resources screwing around in dig sites, who are we to stop them?"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the old blood is pretty good

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I did not enjoy the zombie bullet sponge levels TBQH. I would've preferred they stuck with a less surreal theme for the expansion. The rest was just as fun as TNO as far as I'm concerned though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Eh, I liked it as a capstone to the mystical stuff in previous Wolf games. Zombie skeleton mage Nazis are pretty awesome, but going in a new direction made it all fresh again. I did love how smug Deathshead was about the gently caress-ups of his magic counterparts.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

While robots are cool, it's just not Wolfenstein without something similar to zombies with knives for hands and guns in their chests.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I assume that's where the Hitler and Goebbels dual boss fight comes in.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

poptart_fairy posted:

Eh, I liked it as a capstone to the mystical stuff in previous Wolf games. Zombie skeleton mage Nazis are pretty awesome, but going in a new direction made it all fresh again. I did love how smug Deathshead was about the gently caress-ups of his magic counterparts.

Yeah, deathshead, never liked the occult poo poo and thought it was a dangerous waste of time.
And I am inclined to agree.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, deathshead, never liked the occult poo poo and thought it was a dangerous waste of time.
And I am inclined to agree.

To be fair, between the occult stuff and the super-science stuff, it was the occult stuff that almost succeeded in both Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Wolf09 - were it not for a certain Polish-American curb stomping every Nazi in a 20 mile radius, of course.

That reminds me of how underwhelming the final boss in RtCW was; you pretty much just shoot him until he dies, it felt really uncreative from a gameplay standpoint.
That said, I like it when bosses get visibly fatigued and damaged as you punish them over the course of a fight, and I don't even really mind it if they gradually get easier as you kick their rear end. The Ubersoldat boss and the final boss did that, and it was really refreshing to see the Spider-Mastermind in Doom2016 do it, too.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You could kill Heinrich by dropping the giant suspended rock on top of him, which I always thought was a nice touch.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I-- wait what? I didn't even realize there was a suspended rock.

Now I'm going to have to play through that game for like the 27th time.

Oh who am I kidding, like I need an excuse for wanton Nazi murder. :skeltal:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Paingod556 posted:

Shermans were more capable than Panzer IVs and almost as much as the 10 ton heavier Panther. Strategically, they were far and away a better investment than Tigers. Not in terms of 'you have more tanks', but the fact you could rely on them to actually show up and do things. And the yanks could even give them better optics and stabilizers, and make them the least flammable tanks of the war.
The point is, Wehraboos who claim 'German Steel uber alles' are divorced from reality, and I love how nu-Wolf has played with that

Here's a good discussion on how hosed up German tank production was. One key fact, an M4 Sherman took about 10,000 man hours to produce; a T34 about 40,000, and a Tiger 300,000. The Tiger had 250 modifications to the base design in a 2-year, 1347 unit production run. These changes didn't get phased in in "blocks" or batches,, so about every 6 tanks (or 3 days) they'd change something about the design. A logistical and production nightmare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6xLMUifbxQ&t=1581s

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

mllaneza posted:

Here's a good discussion on how hosed up German tank production was. One key fact, an M4 Sherman took about 10,000 man hours to produce; a T34 about 40,000, and a Tiger 300,000. The Tiger had 250 modifications to the base design in a 2-year, 1347 unit production run. These changes didn't get phased in in "blocks" or batches,, so about every 6 tanks (or 3 days) they'd change something about the design. A logistical and production nightmare.

I definitely think a lot of the modern belief about superior German tanks and such comes from videogames, where logistics, reliability, and production. Talking from my own experiences, COH2 is especially egregious about this, where every loving Panther is an aryan Wunderwaffe, and even on the somewhat more realistic side of games like Men of War you never have to worry about your King Tiger's transmission overheating.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mllaneza posted:

Spoken like someone who doesn't appreciate artisanal tanks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mllaneza posted:

That's like the modern AAA game publishing mentality, "release a broken product, we'll patch it after release."

What I'm saying is modern game publishers are Nazis.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Spoken like someone who doesn't appreciate artisanal tanks.

Bespoke Panzerkunst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Mordja posted:

I definitely think a lot of the modern belief about superior German tanks and such comes from videogames, where logistics, reliability, and production. Talking from my own experiences, COH2 is especially egregious about this, where every loving Panther is an aryan Wunderwaffe, and even on the somewhat more realistic side of games like Men of War you never have to worry about your King Tiger's transmission overheating.

Well, the Germans weren't the only ones pumping out unreliable tanks. The T-34 used essentially useless engine air filters well into the T-34-85 which led to the engines quickly filling up with dust and grit, seizing, then requiring an engine replacement. The transmission was also a maintenance nightmare.

But it didn't really matter, because they still had 6 of those plus 3 lend lease shermans for every German cold pressed artisanal tank.