Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Wait what

Isn't it the opposite? He's using 100% full cowl and when she lets go it hurts because he's breaking himself.

So he carries her on his back so it doesn't hurt.

Doesn't seem that way from how they explain it. Eri doesn't know how to control her quirk so she now that she's using it she can't stop rewinding Deku as long as she's nearby, which would basically kill him. So Deku's plan is to continuously put massive strain on his body faster than her quirk works so it will continuously be rewinding that instead of erasing him from existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
That's not what i took from it, and i dislike that explanation so I'll live in the world of my explanation until the manga proves otherwise.
:shrug:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It might just be the translation but the words that are written are literally: "With Eri's quirk she can rewind humans. If you continue to hold her like that you'll disappear"

And later: "I understand! She continues to revert my body with blinding speed. In that case, if i'm constantly accumulating grave injuries at an even greater speed..."

Which yeah, means Eri is healing all his injuries from OFA but that's just to give her quirk something to do so he doesn't die while protecting her.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

I feel like you guys are being overly critical of the arc that gave us Best Boy Mirio Togata and by extension PHANTOM MENACE, but that’s just me.

you're right it's impossible for these chapters to be full of holes and criticize them

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Good news! The manga already did.

Or the translation is poo poo or her powers make no sense within the arc.

Oh wait...

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It might just be the translation but the words that are written are literally: "With Eri's quirk she can rewind humans. If you continue to hold her like that you'll disappear"

And later: "I understand! She continues to revert my body with blinding speed. In that case, if i'm constantly accumulating grave injuries at an even greater speed..."

Which yeah, means Eri is healing all his injuries from OFA but that's just to give her quirk something to do so he doesn't die while protecting her.

Yeah, as long as he's holding her. When he let go while using too much power, he collapsed from pain.
So,
option A: let go.
Option B: release full power and hold on

I took it not so much as "oh no i need to release full power to not die", but as "holy poo poo i can release full power if i Luke On Dagobah this poo poo."

Yes, Eri is Yoda.

There is no try, Deku.
Only do, or do not.
No "try".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah, as long as he's holding her. When he let go while using too much power, he collapsed from pain.
So,

I took it not so much as "oh no i need to release full power to not die", but as "holy poo poo i can release full power if i Luke On Dagobah this poo poo."

Yes, Eri is Yoda.

There is no try, Deku.
Only do, or do not.
No "try".

He collapsed from pain not from bones breaking or anything like how his OFA injuries usually manifest but from his body "being pulled apart from the inside". Because as immediately explained by Overhaul Eri is unable to control her power. Leading to the whole "If you keep holding onto her you will disappear" thing.

E: Deku even mentions that Eri already healed all his injuries from OFA before he had that fit of immense pain.

Double E: I think I misunderstood your point sorry. Yeah he's definitely taking advantage of her quirk to go into overdrive, but it just so happens that going into overdrive is also the only way for him to survive her quirk as well.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 21, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Why doesn't eri's power just reverse the chemical reactions in his cells :hydrogen:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed this chapter but all this bitching just killed the hype.

I've been saying this arc was bad since they started the raid with literally no plan, but I'm still happy to see a conclusion forthcoming.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the last two chapters killed the hype, not us

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Super saiyans are cool tho

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm guessing Eri's quirk also has to be for-real time rewinding because otherwise you'd still feel the pain from a broken bone snapping back into place

But then that goes back to not making any sense that the rewind quirk hurts at all when it's unraveling you

Shinjobi posted:

Super saiyans are cool tho

Doesn't matter when everything around the transformation is uncool.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sure, but I've always tried to give Vegeta a pass so I think this transformation should get the same leeway.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

I'm guessing Eri's quirk also has to be for-real time rewinding because otherwise you'd still feel the pain from a broken bone snapping back into place

But then that goes back to not making any sense that the rewind quirk hurts at all when it's unraveling you
Imagine the motion sickness a brain trying to cope with that would experience. All the sensory information being inconsistently experienced, unexperienced and re-experienced.

He'd be new jersey smashing the contents of his stomach all over Overhaul. Full Barf 100%

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah, I can't really think of any explanation for this that makes any sense. I don't really know what he was thinking introducing this particular interpretation of Eri's quirk.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why doesn't eri's power just reverse the chemical reactions in his cells :hydrogen:

also if hes being rewinded why doesnt he have like constant amnesia shouldnt his brain be getting rewinded too

maybe its nanomachines

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's baffling because this is literally Orihime's healing power in Bleach but done in a way that wants to be more specific but in the process is actually less comprehensible

If it was more clearly magic-y it would be easier to accept than this weird half-assed take

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think it's like Orihime's ability other than that it heals sometimes.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think it's like Orihime's ability other than that it heals sometimes.

Through various combinations of the six fairies, Orihime has the power to reject phenomena by denying or undoing events in various forms.

She can essentially rewind time/events.

Kild fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 21, 2017

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

So,

Yes, Eri is Yoda.

There is no try, Deku.
Only do, or do not.
No "try".

His plan is very specifically to counteract her power trying to Ctrl + Z him out of existence by adding a bunch of damage to undo. It just so happens he's an expert at self mutilation and it's beneficial in the situation to go all-out anyway.

There's not really any hairs to split on this one - he comments about being torn apart, Overhaul monologues to explain it's the out of control rewind, and Deku responds with the plan to self-harm.

Overhaul says Eri's quirk is a curse and Deku is very specifically trying to overcome that statement at the moment, in addition to punching dude in the face.

It's this page where it starts: http://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/157/4641/14

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 21, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

been a while since I read bleach but the way I remember it, orihime rejects events entirely rather than rewinding them. eri takes you back to a state before you were hurt; orihime just deletes the injury itself from existence. in practice it works the same way more or less but eri's seems a lot less impractical since you're not stuck in a bubble when she's healing you

Shinjobi posted:

Sure, but I've always tried to give Vegeta a pass so I think this transformation should get the same leeway.

dragon ball is a very different thing than mha and never made it a recurring plot point that destroying yourself is wrong

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Manatee Cannon posted:

dragon ball is a very different thing than mha and never made it a recurring plot point that destroying yourself is wrong

I mean, this is a bit of an edge case here.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Hey dudes, I just started watching the anime and I'm almost done season 2. What volume continues right after that? I wanna jump on the manga train as soon as I'm done.

Also, I'm sure this question has been asked a lot, so sorry if that's true! I read a bit of the thread but don't wanna get spoiled. Thanks!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I mean, this is a bit of an edge case here.

it makes sense for deku to do it because of the situation he's in but it doesn't make sense to write him into this situation in the first place considering everything that came before it imo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just the previous arc Deku learned a new technique to stop breaking his bones (y'know kicking) and then this arc he's going into full self-destruction mode and it's pretty silly, even if the consequences are gone. Not exactly new though because in the arc after he started getting a handle on his cowl he got put into a situation where he needed to destroy his hands again, except harder this time.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 21, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
What's actually hurting him is continuing to hold onto Eri, though. Going 100% is the only way to keep from dying.

He's putting himself in danger, sure, but he's not doing so unreasonably.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Unmature posted:

Hey dudes, I just started watching the anime and I'm almost done season 2. What volume continues right after that? I wanna jump on the manga train as soon as I'm done.

Also, I'm sure this question has been asked a lot, so sorry if that's true! I read a bit of the thread but don't wanna get spoiled. Thanks!

Season 2 ends a couple pages into Chapter 70.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vengarr posted:

What's actually hurting him is continuing to hold onto Eri, though. Going 100% is the only way to keep from dying.

He's putting himself in danger, sure, but he's not doing so unreasonably.

Manatee Cannon posted:

it makes sense for deku to do it because of the situation he's in but it doesn't make sense to write him into this situation in the first place considering everything that came before it imo

it's dumb to write it like this after so much has been put into him growing away from breaking himself. it doesn't matter that he's getting healed if he still has to break himself to do anything

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
One of the central running themes in Deku's development is learning to harness his power in a safe and manageable way and the plot has aligned in a way that not only rewards him for blowing himself to pieces irresponsibly, it basically demands it, and against a nothing of a villain. I really, really dislike that. What was the point of Deku developing Shoot Style and forcing himself to think about alternative approaches to problems if the very next time he's put in a desperate situation he immediately reverts to his original "blow himself to bits" approach?

I had a pretty good chuckle at the end panel remembering the discussion about child endangerment, though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It makes perfect sense in the context of the story. But it's still weird that a major part of Deku's development with OFA is learning not to overexert himself and go beyond his limits lest he seriously injure himself in a way not even Recovery Girl can help him with. But now he's in a situation where not only does he have to overexert himself to the greatest degree in order to continually cause major injury onto himself, there is seemingly little consequence to this as the damage will heal and not doing so would actually kill him.

And this isn't like a knock against Eri's quirk being too strong or whatever. I think it's largely fine, if a bit confusing because "rewind" is a strange way to utilise this kind of ability. But I think it's a strange direction for the story to go at this point. Then again similar situations have happened before in the manga so perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 21, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Manatee Cannon posted:

been a while since I read bleach but the way I remember it, orihime rejects events entirely rather than rewinding them. eri takes you back to a state before you were hurt; orihime just deletes the injury itself from existence. in practice it works the same way more or less but eri's seems a lot less impractical since you're not stuck in a bubble when she's healing you

I was more just making fun of Vegeta. My bad.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

TriffTshngo posted:

Season 2 ends a couple pages into Chapter 70.

Thanks!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I feel like the next chapter is gonna be him struggling to control 100% Full Cowl, where every little movement instantly launches him into orbit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:agreed:, it's going to be awesome.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He's gonna punch a giant rock dragon to rubble in a single blow and it'll be real great.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

His leg is going to explode and Eri will have to fix it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's going to win and then carry on into the next arcs using 20% or so and those villains will feel weak because he already used 100% to beat lovely Bane who is somehow more boring than Tom Hardy Bane

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think Deku's progression feels a bit...stagnant by now, mostly because whenever a real obstacle seems to show up Deku fails at surpassing it using his current skillset. I like shonen protagonists that aren't built up to be The Only poo poo That Matters but c'mon, if there ever was someone Deku could defeat without having to blow himself up again, I think Overhaul would be it. Give the boy a win that makes his own improvements mean something instead of being "nah, you still ain't poo poo" or "oh yeah you can self-destruct for massive damage".

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

No... Why start this plotline and end it with a two page spread after going nowhere with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It'd actually be cool as heck if they could actually embrace the fact they fancy each other, start dating and carry on with the plot while in a relationship instead of it being some stupid sort of forbidden love which is forbidden because ??????????????