Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Getting to play music and skipping the Army bullshit while earning a retirement without exploding my knees sounds cake as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I agree, but at the same time he should be thoroughly laughed at any time he tries to act hard.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My only experience with the Army band was one time happening upon a whole tent of SGMs in Kuwait and practically making GBS threads my pants (they were in the wrong transient tent) and the nearest one saying "relax dude we're in the band" so that was kinda cool.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you have the military credentials to back up any type of tough talk it's because you made foolish choices.

Id probably trust the band geek.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mr. Nice! posted:

In the navy the band is basically it's own little thing with a separate part of boot camp for them and most start as E5+ but basically just get assigned a band and stay there forever. Is the army basically the same?

Absolutely. I worked with one who left band to work for AFN (he went back so loving fast, it was my station) and he told us stories about faux-rockstar life style that was PT on your own, super laid back, drink and your poo poo. I did a few stories on bands (when we traveled to other countries, since music is a universal language) teaming up with other countries and playing. It's always the same and it actually helped me and my coworker because our commander in Australia was all "no drinking! No going out!" And it pissed everyone off, so he made it ok to drink on post at approved locations. Guess what was an approved location? The Australian Band house or whatever. So because I made good with the band (US), they invited me back to get poo poo faced and play drums a few nights a week. Everyone else either got in trouble for going out or didn't get caught.

Australians loving are the best hosts. They have such an awesome mentality in their armed forces (from what I saw anyways). Able to joke and kid but when the jobs on, the jobs on. They said we have too many loving rules.

My friend in particular partied with either the Backstreet Boys or N'Sync in the 90s in Mannheim. He was a cool dude.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 19, 2017

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Getting to play music and skipping the Army bullshit while earning a retirement without exploding my knees sounds cake as gently caress.

It depends on where you're at. If it's a TRADOC or MACOM band, life tends to be pretty great. If it's a division band, then you'll still have a ton a stupid Army poo poo to put up with. loving lol if you're at Korea.

Rank wise, Navy and Marines start as E3 and Army starts as E4 - unless you're going into a premiere band, which is a separate audition process and separate MOS. They all start at E6.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Did basic with a guy who was whatever the band MOS is.

He was.....special. Not quite as loopy as linguists, but never really felt like he was 100% in touch with what was going on around him.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

Did basic with a guy who was whatever the band MOS is.

He was.....special. Not quite as loopy as linguists, but never really felt like he was 100% in touch with what was going on around him.

So a good band person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwBhxBBa7tE&t=351s

This guy is one of my favorite drummer by day, possible murder by night people.

The band was cool at my last post. It was all historic and very ceremony-heavy, so they did a TON of gigs and worked a lot of weekends, but they also had a whole salsa/samba/all-the-others subset of the band that would play at local clubs for fun, a cover-band contingent, and all kinds of other side musical projects going both on base and off.

I knew a band player in college who was National Guard. He basically checked the "send me anywhere on short notice, IDGAF" box and got a bunch of really cool last-minute TDYs to various locales or overseas to cover down when someone couldn't play for whatever reason.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 19, 2017

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
One of my NCOs was previously in the band. He was stationed in Germany for nearly a decade because he was the ultimate smoozer. He had some great stories about touring around Europe as a jazz guitarist. He said pretty much everyone had at least a drinking problem, and a good 50% had drug problems. For some reason he thought giving that up to be PSYOP was a good idea. He was always super honest about being clueless though and only talked poo poo about being able to run fast since he was an avid marathoner. Everything else he just admitted he didn’t know or was outright bad at.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

He was always super honest about being clueless though and only talked poo poo about being able to run fast since he was an avid marathoner. Everything else he just admitted he didn’t know or was outright bad at.

How many rockers did they throw at him?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I secretly love DnC, but I hate forcing it on people, and loathe bad instruction.

I feel like a monster for even thinking about it. I just think that it looks good and is classic militaria.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

I secretly love DnC, but I hate forcing it on people, and loathe bad instruction.

I feel like a monster for even thinking about it. I just think that it looks good and is classic militaria.

You would have loved the military school I grew up in.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My uncle was a trumpet player in the Army during the 80s and got out in the early 90s with an early retirement deal of some sort which required remaining in the IRR; come 2009-2010 he got recalled and forcibly reclassed to Civil Affairs and sent to Afghanistan.

That's both my only band and biggest green weenie story rolled into one.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

spacetoaster posted:

You would have loved the military school I grew up in.

I went to NMMI and Texas A&M.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

Talk about a loving double whammy, holy poo poo.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

That explains a lot.

About both of us.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I only went for a year a piece

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Wasabi the J posted:

NMMI is one of these weird schools that let you get a commission in 2 years right? But then you have to finish school to keep it? Such a dumb idea.

4ID just issued a policy barring cellphones from the field. We also have to wear IOTVs now instead of plate carriers. This is right before a 3 week field problem.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ashmole posted:

NMMI is one of these weird schools that let you get a commission in 2 years right? But then you have to finish school to keep it? Such a dumb idea.

It is now because we don't have a war killing 2LTs all day e'ry day.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

MurderBot posted:

Send Him a DD-214 blanket so the Drill Sergeants get hella jealous and make his life even more miserable.

lmfao, this poo poo made me google it and yes, there are blankets...lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

all apologies posted:

lmfao, this poo poo made me google it and yes, there are blankets...lol

For 50$ you can get your actual DD-214 printed on a blanket (black out SS#, duh).

https://photos3.walmart.com/category/145-blankets?design_code=standard.fullphoto#131-50x60-fleece-blanket|mww.themepack:50x60_fullimagefleece.blanket

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

You’ll need it for this latest executive order.

gently caress no. Not happening.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ashmole posted:

4ID just issued a policy barring cellphones from the field. We also have to wear IOTVs now instead of plate carriers. This is right before a 3 week field problem.

I wanna know what the rationale behind pushing IOTVs over plate carriers are beyond "they got big kevlar inserts so they're safer". Troop mobility is equally as important for survivability. Makes as much sense as forcing everyone to wear elbow pads because it's better to be safe than risk people hurting their drat elbows.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
At NTC we were originally allowed plate carriers for force on force and IOTVs for live fire but then it changed plate carriers for everything from the BDE commander.

I think for you guys it was just CSMs, the most useless rank I think in the Army, reminding everybody that they exist.

As a LTC or COL I can’t imagine every taking anything a CSM says seriously. All they care about is medpros, haircuts, and uniform standards.

If every CSM in the Army decided to off themselves the Army would be better off for it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Are plate carriers getting issued now or is this just guys buying their own poo poo?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

In my BDE it’s guys buying their own poo poo. We don’t really have a uniform standard other than wearing a plate carrier or IOTV

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
No uniform standard? Sounds like someone needs to talk to your CSM

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Maybe I’m crazy but I think a PSG has a harder job than a CSM.

I can’t help but roll my eyes whenever a CSM opens their mouth.

Yeah roger CSM, dudes not wearing their elbow pads is a big deal and we totally respect you for your position in the unit.

CSM I’m way more concerned about the uniform my guys wear instead of being able to properly employ a javelin or some other actually useful task.

I seriously don’t at all understand the existence of CSMs other than to make soldiers miserable.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mustang posted:

Maybe I’m crazy but I think a PSG has a harder job than a CSM.

I can’t help but roll my eyes whenever a CSM opens their mouth.

Yeah roger CSM, dudes not wearing their elbow pads is a big deal and we totally respect you for your position in the unit.

CSM I’m way more concerned about the uniform my guys wear instead of being able to properly employ a javelin or some other actually useful task.

I seriously don’t at all understand the existence of CSMs other than to make soldiers miserable.

Are we watching Mustang transition into Stage Three?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What happens when you go beyond stage three...

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think CSMs serve a vital role in the modern US army.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I think CSMs serve a vital role in the modern US army.

Modssssssss

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Hey CSM we know you’re a stupid son of a bitch so instead of doing some actual useful training for sgts time training that leads into next months field time we will do some dumb poo poo we’re never tasked to do because you feel really strongly about some mundane poo poo you have a huge boner for that no one else cares about

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Jesus Christ I loving hate sergeant majors

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I know it's bad, but I am feeling better just from witnessing Mustang's transformation.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
CSMs exist to be hated so that you hate them more than the people you are forced to spend all your time with.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I’m a dumb rear end LT and I’m pretty sure I can do a better job with sergeants time training than a useless CSM or some 1SG busy giving BJs to every CSM nearby.

I don’t understand why the response of every LTC or COL to their CSM isn’t “Bro you’re loving retarded”

The primary concern of some NCO that’s been in the Army for over 20 years is medpros and uniform standards? How the gently caress did this happen?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I spent today trying to loving army and now I'm so mad I can't unclench my jaw and I thought about how nice it would be to run over a bunch of people before driving off a loving mountain.

This is not a joke post. Thought about going to the hospital but what the gently caress would I say? I'm mad and want to hear people's bones break for making me mad?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Better start drinking at least I don't have apt test tomorrow wait hahaha gently caress I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

CSMs exist to be hated so that you hate them more than the people you are forced to spend all your time with.
Yeah, I was just gonna say that their one useful purpose is to act as a lightning rod.