Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Wait isn't DePace married to a writer from the Daily Show? How the gently caress did that work out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cumshitter posted:

Wait isn't DePace married to a writer from the Daily Show? How the gently caress did that work out?

I think she was a director? Maybe? He used to get so pissed when they would point out that she had bunches of awards and Depace had to pretend that awards he bought for himself were just as good. :newlol:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

prefect posted:

I think she was a director? Maybe? He used to get so pissed when they would point out that she had bunches of awards and Depace had to pretend that awards he bought for himself were just as good. :newlol:

HAH he actually did this?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

cumshitter posted:

I wonder if the stuff he said on the show was a put on just because it's hard for me to believe DePace can he such a hardline conservative and be married to a producer on one of the most liberal shows on TV. Unless they just never discuss politics ever. I mean, I think at one point DePace said he would abort his child if he could find out he/she was going to be gay. How can someone be married to a person like that?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Two Kings posted:

I wonder if the stuff he said on the show was a put on just because it's hard for me to believe DePace can he such a hardline conservative and be married to a producer on one of the most liberal shows on TV. Unless they just never discuss politics ever. I mean, I think at one point DePace said he would abort his child if he could find out he/she was going to be gay. How can someone be married to a person like that?

Scott Depace is a terrible person, holy poo poo.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Two Kings posted:

I know people who truly believe everything DePace would say on the air. It's not an act for them. Not saying it might not be for him but there are definitely people who exist like that.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If it is an act (it's not) then he's still committed to his on-air bit w/r/t his twitter. So no, I don't think it's an act, he's just a very typical middle aged conservative white guy. Like Moniker said, there's a poo poo load of them in this country.

Another thing that's been bothering me as I've been on a kick listening to old show clips is how Gary fights. Holy poo poo he's so annoying. I noticed it especially when he had that blow up with Artie and the fake piss. When someone stutters he quickly jumps in mocking their stuttering and it comes off so douchey. I also love his hyper masculinity when he makes fun of Ralph for not liking baseball. Garys such a dork.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Ralph could probably throw a baseball way better than Gary

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLIyT8HExY

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haljordan posted:

HAH he actually did this?

He really did. They "won" some award that you got based on "will you give us some money for the trophy?", and he insisted that it was just as good.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

haljordan posted:

Ralph could probably throw a baseball way better than Gary

Nah. I love me some Ralphiecakes, but he is clearly a Catcher and not a Pitcher. ;)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

prefect posted:

He really did. They "won" some award that you got based on "will you give us some money for the trophy?", and he insisted that it was just as good.

loving classic. I bet DePace has like, twenty copies of those "Who's Who in <Industry*>" books

*Criteria based on anyone dumb enough to mail in a check

edit: You just KNOW DePace still thinks he came out ahead arguing with Franken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRZ5V91Q8Ac

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 21, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
DePace had some left leanings (he was pro-choice, didn't agree with it just didn't think he had the right to tell a woman she couldn't) but I'm curious how deep his conservatism went. He was smart enough to realize where he worked and lived and I think he knew enough to reel it in before he said something that might be bad enough to follow him around in his future. I think behind closed doors he might say some wild poo poo.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If he never dropped a n bomb on Xbox Live I'd be shocked.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

DePace had some left leanings (he was pro-choice, didn't agree with it just didn't think he had the right to tell a woman she couldn't) but I'm curious how deep his conservatism went. He was smart enough to realize where he worked and lived and I think he knew enough to reel it in before he said something that might be bad enough to follow him around in his future. I think behind closed doors he might say some wild poo poo.

In the clip I posted, Al Franken backs up everything he says with legitimate facts and references. Almost all of DePace's talking points are "Well, that's what Rush Limbaugh said". I think he's just a fuckin' nimrod.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Depace had zero left leanings, he just is a total coward and also Rush probably hadn't said anything on abortion recently so he wasn't aware what his opinion was enough to argue it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Depace had zero left leanings, he just is a total coward and also Rush probably hadn't said anything on abortion recently so he wasn't aware what his opinion was enough to argue it.

He literally says he's pro-choice.

3:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FIr5_NNbDU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
"Having one non-poo poo opinion out of literally every opinion a person has" is a pretty low bar for 'left leaning'.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

DePace once followed another car on the highway for many miles, waiting for the driver to take the off-ramp and stop somewhere so DePace could confront him, because the guy's car had an anti-GW Bush bumper sticker.

DePace is a typical white middle aged uninformed arrogant rightwing shithead and evidently 40% of the US population consists of angry idiots like him.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I wouldn't have mentioned it but I listened to that video in the background like yesterday at work so it was super fresh inside my head, plus actually hearing him say "I'm pro-choice" was pretty memorable in and of itself.

I still think he's a shitheel.

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

I think I've actually posted this ages ago, but one of my favorite hypocritical DePace moments was during some sort of healthcare debate and someone asked him what would happen if he needed a million dollars for some sort of emergency treatment. He responded by saying he'd find a way to get the money. I love having the idealism of a million dollars actually being attainable if you really need it for the sake of retarded identity politics.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
In a society that coddles white men like Scott Depace it really makes sense to me that he'd be sure that if push comes to shove he'd be able to afford whatever medical issue arose.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There's a quote by someone that fits here. I don't know whose it is, but it's something like "I don't know what I need to do to make you care about someone else" and it was aimed at poo poo head republicans who were desperately trying to craft The Worst Health Care Bill Ever (tm).

I'm thinking that it will always be fitting to say with regards to Depace.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Or that time he talked about hitting his dog.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Reading this thread made me realize how much I actually hate DePace. :mad:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

He must have had the Southern accent really bad when he first started because that's what Fred would immediately go into on the then-rare times Scott was in the studio and he'd also play some stereotypical Cowboy music as well.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

BobbyK posted:

If it is an act (it's not) then he's still committed to his on-air bit w/r/t his twitter. So no, I don't think it's an act, he's just a very typical middle aged conservative white guy. Like Moniker said, there's a poo poo load of them in this country.

Another thing that's been bothering me as I've been on a kick listening to old show clips is how Gary fights. Holy poo poo he's so annoying. I noticed it especially when he had that blow up with Artie and the fake piss. When someone stutters he quickly jumps in mocking their stuttering and it comes off so douchey. I also love his hyper masculinity when he makes fun of Ralph for not liking baseball. Garys such a dork.

i still think its bullshit that everyone let gary deflect his getting caught taking a nap in his office to depace breaking his code of honor

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Law Cheetah posted:

i still think its bullshit that everyone let gary deflect his getting caught taking a nap in his office to depace breaking his code of honor

They didn't though, they crucified Gary for it and even after Gary deflected they even brought up that he was deflecting. The reason it dragged on is because Scott couldn't apologize and accept blame without attempting to shuffle some of it off to others. Doug apologized immediately and accepted fault and Gary said he only stayed mad at Doug for a day or two.

Scott dug that hole himself, he just couldn't shutup, and it's exactly why the fans and other staff railed on him harder than Gary by the end of it. Just shutup and take your medicine and all that never happens and it's just endless goofing on Gary.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Law Cheetah posted:

I think the fallout for that came much later as part of Howard's attempt to "organize" the show. Making Marci his boss and putting him in a room with an intern sound like direct results of Howard loving with him over sleeping.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I think the fallout for that came much later as part of Howard's attempt to "organize" the show. Making Marci his boss and putting him in a room with an intern sound like direct results of Howard loving with him over sleeping.

I think Gary double booking guests was another factor that led to "Getting Things Done" being implemented.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Richard stuck his cock inside Sal's mouth today

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I think what's so funny about those two as pair is that Sal's is in such deep denial about his gay/bisexual tendencies, whereas Richard is so completely accepting of himself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MrMidnight posted:

Richard stuck his cock inside Sal's mouth today

Wow. It finally happened (at least on-air).

This is a red letter day.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Squashy Nipples posted:

I think what's so funny about those two as pair is that Sal's is in such deep denial about his gay/bisexual tendencies, whereas Richard is so completely accepting of himself.

Richard is also in denial he always says his part of it isn’t the gay part

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

Richard is also in denial he always says his part of it isn’t the gay part

That's just him keeping up appearances. I think he knows better.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/i/moments/922841954563567617?lang=en

What could have been

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
It's no Larry Walters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7w_v9J7iOc&t=4s

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Jackie's book is out, here's a quick semi-review from someone who read a small part.

quote:

Bought it this morning and just had time to read one section (on him leaving the show). He seems pretty honest in that section about what went on and is pretty open with the salary figures.
He made 578K base the last year he was on (2000) (w/ additional bonuses were based on ratings, which he said actually went down slightly). He wanted a 5 year deal with an average of $1 Mil: 800K, 900K, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2. Final offer from Tom Chiusano was a 5 yr deal of 650K, 715K, 765K, 825K, 900K.
Jackie makes it pretty clear that Tom gave him 2 days to sign or the deal was off.
He didn't sign, stayed home (his one beef is that he told Howard that he wasn't coming in and Howard acted surprised on air). After two months he realized how much he missed it and reached out to Howard multiple times (this was before Artie was hired) and Howard responded but never committed to anything.
I can't speak for the rest of the book yet, but he came off as pretty self deprecating and honest with is own failures in that section. If the rest of the book is like this, I think it's worth the money.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jesus christ, that's a lot of money :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
He claimed the that "playing hardball" by not showing up was bad advice from his lawyer. It sounds like he regrets the whole thing, but I also don't blame Howard/the show for moving on. Clearly he was replaceable. Artie mentioned that he was making $900k a year a Sirius and it sounds like Gary was in the $1m range (2006+), so that deal he turned down would have likely put him at par with the rest of the core staff.