Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Of the 3 DQ remakes on the DS which is the best? I've been hungry for some Dragon Quest but I don't wanna replay 8 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Never played 6 but you can't go wrong with either 4 or 5, they're both great games

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Of the 3 DQ remakes on the DS which is the best? I've been hungry for some Dragon Quest but I don't wanna replay 8 again.

V is usually the one that comes the most recommended.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, 5 is basically all the hyperbolic poo poo everyone says about the SNES era that’s actually true, it’s just a real well done game.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

In order, 5-4-6

5 is just friggin amazing and one of the few games I've ever played through multiple times.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it still has me shocked that it has been nearly 10 years and there isn't a game that has a battle system as fun as mana khemia

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dragonturtle posted:

For Legacy of Kain fans that might not have seen it yet:

https://twitter.com/CrystalDynamics/status/921167223263129600

Time to go back to the beginning and make another 2d zeldalike game ie Blood Omen

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

it still has me shocked that it has been nearly 10 years and there isn't a game that has a battle system as fun as mana khemia

atelier shallie's battle system is like 95% the same but it has less of being able to interact with delayed effects directly like card guy could in MK1

also shallie is less satisfying to me because upgrades aren't directly tied to crafting

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tired Moritz posted:

Atelier Shallie has the same system pretty much, and the upcoming one looks similar

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Time to go back to the beginning and make another 2d zeldalike game ie Blood Omen

A moba didn't work, let's make a team character-based FPS!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Legit, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (the 2D top down Zelda one), was one of my favourite games back in the day, and if it ever got the Breath of the Wild treatment I'd be so down.

Edit: Good Zelda game replacement.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 22, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't think I'd mind endless tutorials if they were read by Tony Jay; alas that he is no longer with us.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Really Pants posted:

I don't think I'd mind endless tutorials if they were read by Tony Jay; alas that he is no longer with us.

The Tony Jay soundalike they found for the World of Warcraft intros was really convincing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

The Tony Jay soundalike they found for the World of Warcraft intros was really convincing.

If it's inside a active game then that's not Tony Jay, that's Megabyte! :ohdear:.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kokoro Wish posted:

Legit, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (the 2D top down Zelda one), was one of my favourite games back in the day, and if it ever got the Skyward Sword treatment I'd be so down.

What would be the Skyward Sword treatment?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Electric Phantasm posted:

What would be the Skyward Sword treatment?

I actually meant Breath of the Wild. For some reason Skyward was on my mind, but yes, a full 3D open world for exploration with more or less no loading screens.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

What RPG main characters haven't (primarily) used a sword? I'd say fantasy only but even as Star Ocean shows, even "sci fi" series have the main character use a sword.

Estelle from Trails in the Sky and the main characters in the Suikoden games are the major ones I can think of.

Maya is both the co-main character of Persona 2: Innocent Sin and full main character of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and she only ever uses two pistols. (Weapons are worthless in those games anyway. Dunno why anyone would use anything but Persona skills. Plus her strength stat is abysmal while her magic stat is amazing.)

In Persona 3 FES the Male MC can use any type of weapon. I missed that feature in the later games.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Don't forget Yuri from Shadow Hearts who uses his fists!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing Dark Cloud 2, I'm on the second area (the forest) and it seems like everything is doing way too much damage to me and I'm doing way too little, is that just normal? I'd assume I was just supposed to use the Ridepod for tougher enemies but I'm locked to using the girl for the level I'm on.
I've been upgrading my weapons and I'm on I think the third tier wrench and second tier sword.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Sakurazuka posted:

Playing Dark Cloud 2, I'm on the second area (the forest) and it seems like everything is doing way too much damage to me and I'm doing way too little, is that just normal? I'd assume I was just supposed to use the Ridepod for tougher enemies but I'm locked to using the girl for the level I'm on.
I've been upgrading my weapons and I'm on I think the third tier wrench and second tier sword.

Sometimes you have to use the item that breaks the seal to have an easier time. You should probably upgrade you weapon more often too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool thanks but if I need to start grinding weapon levels already I'm probably not gonna bother at all.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Cool thanks but if I need to start grinding weapon levels already I'm probably not gonna bother at all.

Yea that is basically how Dark Cloud 2 works.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Well, it's less grindy and more shoving orbs into thema

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

I actually meant Breath of the Wild. For some reason Skyward was on my mind, but yes, a full 3D open world for exploration with more or less no loading screens.
An open world Legacy of Kain where you have the same kind of vampire transversal abilities that you had in the Nosgoth shooter would be sweet as hell.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

are you picking up health/defense upgrades?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've found a single defence upgrade so far

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Cyber Slueth isn’t really clicking yet. I’m only on the 3rd chapter or so but I’m not feeling really hooked into the story and my party feels like a rotating door with all the digivolutions and trade outs for space.

Does the story pick up? I’m sure my party will solidify more once stuff isn’t leveling up so fast and often.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Sakurazuka posted:

they're totally static based on story/georama progress but they show up in dumb places, i'd check a map

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Getsuya posted:

Cyber Slueth isn’t really clicking yet. I’m only on the 3rd chapter or so but I’m not feeling really hooked into the story and my party feels like a rotating door with all the digivolutions and trade outs for space.

Does the story pick up? I’m sure my party will solidify more once stuff isn’t leveling up so fast and often.

Things should start picking up a little by Chapter 7, but poo poo doesn't really hit the fan until 13 or so.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I wanted to contradict you with some minor NPC or maybe a villain, but no, as I thought more about WA5 I realized you are in fact correct and literally every single character in WA5 is ridiculously stupid. What a dumb, dumb game.

It made me so angry that they watched that bounty hunter get crushed by rocks and Dean still talked like he would come back.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

for the most part they pop up in the future as you build the towns

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For those of you who don't know the SMT game for the Switch is SMTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvyCAFV9MbM

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Goddammit you're using the Unreal Engine and everything, put it on PC!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Always like the classic title sequence

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

GrandpaPants posted:

Goddammit you're using the Unreal Engine and everything, put it on PC!

Index Digital Media's behavior in recent years has made it clear that it's joining the war against general-purpose computing on the side of the prosecution.

This will probably make for awkward talks with Atlus USA.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
two years ago i saw people saying we'd never get tales on pc because bamco doesn't do pc releases and now basically every japanese game company except nintendo and atlus do pc releases. it's hosed up

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I want to believe someone in Sega is pushing for Yakuza and SMT on PC

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

dont be mean to me posted:

Index Digital Media's behavior in recent years has made it clear that it's joining the war against general-purpose computing on the side of the prosecution.

This will probably make for awkward talks with Atlus USA.

What does this mean? They don’t want people to have computers?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What does index have to do with atlus anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Colonel posted:

two years ago i saw people saying we'd never get tales on pc because bamco doesn't do pc releases and now basically every japanese game company except nintendo and atlus do pc releases. it's hosed up

Nintendo at least has the excuse of owning their own console brand. Atlus are just dinosaurs, especially when their parent company Sega is more of a PC developer and publisher these days than a console developer and publisher.