Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
god all the patriotic american wank trailers before blade runner made me want to walk out of the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMDVa4yoCWw
American Pie is 18 years old, so I guess the logical step is to make the same movie but for people in their 30s

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

kiimo posted:

Oh here we go with more Hollywood hot-washing the past. Sure yeah give that part to Margot Robbie, as if there weren't a hundred more deserving not-hot actresses out there to play the role of Tanya Harding. It's Monster all over again. #hotwashing #oscarssohot

Wasn't Robbie the person who bought the script originally, specifically to star in it? Or am I :thejoke:? I know she's one of the main (not figurehead) producers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was just making a joke because margot robbie is surface of the sun hot and playing tony harding. It wasn't the best joke.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Like literally the worst trend above the giant festering pile of bad trends in movies is the SLOW SOULFUL RENDITION OF A ROCK CLASSIC over trailers. I mean goddamn, it's so awful.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

god all the patriotic american wank trailers before blade runner made me want to walk out of the movie

True patriots are patriots for the people, not their own glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unzr9kiFScQ

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

AlexF posted:

So we got this one in yesterday and the whole company just stopped working for 30 minutes either laughing or being depressed about the fact we'll have to release that sucker in Germany:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Denciie5oA

American propaganda is loving pathetic.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad we can feel good about The Forever War again. Thanks, Hollywood!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
On the other hand... Michael Shannon.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I know this is unpopular here but I just do not see his appeal.

I mean, I don't have anything against him but he would never be the deciding factor for whether or not I watched something.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean, I don't have anything against him but he would never be the deciding factor for whether or not I watched something.

Well to be fair if I expected anybody to have this opinion it'd be you! :v:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:ohdear:

Oh man, how many bad opinions am I on your radar for at this point?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Also, the cinematography and action looks really good.

Like, it's not gonna be 13 Hours or Patriots Day good, but it might have legs.

And of course when you want to make a anthem-patriotic ooh-rah U.S.ofA. movie, you get a Dane to direct.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

American propaganda is loving pathetic.

Yeah, I don't want to hear anymore bullshit about Hollywood being antiwar ever again. The most pathetic (and alarming) thing about the resurgence of war propaganda in Hollywood is how it is a reaction to Trump's isolationist rhetoric (he's not even doing isolationist poo poo).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

viral spiral posted:

Yeah, I don't want to hear anymore bullshit about Hollywood being antiwar ever again. The most pathetic (and alarming) thing about the resurgence of war propaganda in Hollywood is how it is a reaction to Trump's isolationist rhetoric (he's not even doing isolationist poo poo).

If anything, it's timed for release right as we're ramping up new military investment in the region.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Huh, my memory totally inserted Theron into Heat. Guess I couldn’t think of any pre-Monster roles for her then.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Huh, my memory totally inserted Theron into Heat. Guess I couldn’t think of any pre-Monster roles for her then.

Judd and Theron have a similar look, I think. Both great tho; nice to see Judd in Twin Peaks.

Yeah, I'd never seen Theron in anything before The Italian Job.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

See, I'm the exact opposite. I'll usually give anything he's involved in a chance.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

See, I'm the exact opposite. I'll usually give anything he's involved in a chance.

For example, I'm very excited for The Shape of Water, but incidentally his presence in the film as another menacingly deranged authority figure seems kind of old hat. Not offensive just...predictable?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

But he plays deranged so goddamn well.

https://youtu.be/dngOH9G4UPw

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

But he plays deranged so goddamn well.

https://youtu.be/dngOH9G4UPw

It's true, he does.

I'm a bit more into the Gyllenhaal school of deranged.

Maybe it's the weird smiles.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

the trailer description posted:

In addition to overcoming mutual distrust and a vast cultural divide, the Americans—accustomed to state-of-the-art warfare—must adopt the rudimentary tactics of the Afghani horse soldiers. But despite their uneasy bond, the new allies face overwhelming odds: outnumbered and outgunned by a ruthless enemy that does not take prisoners

Can gritty underdogs The US Military manage to overcome the odds and defeat Afghanistan? Find out this January

(I'm sure the operation was very impressive :911:)

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Is this real?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

AlexF posted:

So we got this one in yesterday and the whole company just stopped working for 30 minutes either laughing or being depressed about the fact we'll have to release that sucker in Germany:

this is a waste of a subtitle with the most potential i've ever seen in a subtitle.

who the gently caress doesn't want to see "The Declassified True Story of the Horse Soldiers"? Just imagine a sequel to Animal Farm set during the Great Snowball War, with a group of brave horse-soldiers infiltrating the headquarters of the Evil Pig Overlords, and tell me that isn't a better movie than a generic war movie with a solid cast.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

:ohdear:

Oh man, how many bad opinions am I on your radar for at this point?

Man you don't even *know.*

Judd and Theron have a similar look, I think. Both great tho; nice to see Judd in Twin Peaks.

Isn't the Judd/Theron mixup kind of a common joke in Hollywood?

The Theron Between Two Ferns is one of my fave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83I_rQUbw8c

For example, I'm very excited for The Shape of Water, but incidentally his presence in the film as another menacingly deranged authority figure seems kind of old hat. Not offensive just...predictable?

And to complete the trilogy of BPWood quotes... I actually agree with you here. He's kind of settling into the "quiet guy with SUDDEN BURSTS OF FURIOUS RAGE" characters pretty regularly.

But still man... Take Shelter is just so drat good. He's kinda earned good will for life from me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BonoMan posted:

But still man... Take Shelter is just so drat good. He's kinda earned good will for life from me.

I liked Take Shelter, I think that was the first thing I saw him in. I watched that on an airplane...I really should give it another view.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BonoMan posted:

On the other hand... Michael Shannon.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo

same but you gotta watch the literal propaganda to find out

like i love shannon but no way ill watch this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

theyre riding horses on the youtube thumbnail

this is intensely hosed up

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ozmunkeh posted:

Is this real?

Nearly fell asleep during that trailer right before Blade Runner, christ.
My eyes just about rolled out of my head.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

AlexF posted:

A movie about how a group of brave but hopelessly outgunned americans have to kill a bunch of afghans to prevent another 9/11. Realeased in 2017. What the gently caress.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hedenius posted:

A movie about how a group of brave but hopelessly outgunned americans have to kill a bunch of afghans to prevent another 9/11. Realeased in 2017. What the gently caress.
Did you ever see this? Because this was also released in 2017 somehow :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rL4xYyaDjU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

I'll back you up on this.

If anyone was likely to draw me to the movie (they won't regardless) it would be Michael Pena and William Fichtner. Thems are some actors me likes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tyler Perry is making more than Madea movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NazF97Dol04

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AlexF posted:

Why Germany?

Re: Theron - she did The Astronaut's Wife and The Cider House Rules back to back in the late 90s.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The MSJ posted:

Looks intense, I'm def interested

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I don't hate him either. He's just not a draw.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
still should've beaten Heath Ledger
yeah I said it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Punkin Spunkin posted:

still should've beaten Heath Ledger
yeah I said it

Shannon can still beat Ledger if they dig him up

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Re: Theron, how could you all forget the timeless classics that are Mighty Joe Young and The Legend of Bagger Vance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

The MSJ posted:

:stare:

drat. Got my attention.

• Locked thread