Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm quite partial to "Hurt" and "Hurtmore" myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

codenameFANGIO posted:

That is a Galoomba. They are different.

I reject this revisionist history!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i love all different kinds of spell name callouts. but my personal favorite will always be unnecessarily long-winded spell names. dark star fall. el psy congroo. iirc legend of mana has really stupid and flowery names for each different spell shape for every element and they only appear for a second in the corner in really tiny text as you charge the attack. wild arms is very guilty of spell names that are too big for their britches, and it's my favorite thing.

TEMPEST GALE (raises REA by 20%)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The best spell name is PK ______

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In Tales of Berseria I find it really funny that the swimsuit outfit you can unlock for Velvet (the one you can get in game, not the one they want you to pay actual money for) is significantly more modest than her default outfit.
For reference this is her swimsuit outfit

and this is her normal outfit

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think you will find that her normal outfit is the waiter uniform, actually.

Though I'm still puzzled by a lot of the things in Velvet's outfit like the chain from the belt to the opposite leg that isn't doing anything.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
velvet is cool!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

velvet is cool!

Velvet is cool but her outfit is dumb and I'm now just wearing the swimwear because I like it better (though with Demon horns to remind everyone that she's a demon)

If you're gonna have a stupid outfit you can at least go creative like Magilou with her skirt made of tomes and her combination witch/jester hat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

Though I'm still puzzled by a lot of the things in Velvet's outfit like the chain from the belt to the opposite leg that isn't doing anything.

Velvet wasn't really paying attention when she threw that outfit together, some things just got lost.

Also, you're right about the waiter uniform.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
all questions about velvet's outfit can be answered with "it's how mutsumi inomata draws clothes"

almost every party member in berseria has a different character designer so that's why they're not all dressed like that. magilou was designed by daigo okumura and i can't really find any examples of stuff he's done for the other games

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 21, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Colonel posted:

all questions about velvet's outfit can be answered with "it's how mutsumi inomata draws clothes"

almost every party member in berseria has a different character designer so that's why they're not all dressed like that

I mean, technically speaking, those ARE different types of cloth that covers a net surface area of the human body. But they seem a bit like they were designed by an alien that does not quite grasp why humans wear clothes

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I have not played tales of berseria but I think I can safely say the pirate outfit is the best because she gets a parrot

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CJacobs posted:

I mean, technically speaking, those ARE different types of cloth that covers a net surface area of the human body. But they seem a bit like they were designed by an alien that does not quite grasp why humans wear clothes

otoh she created the design for one of the best characters in the series, a loud guy with a huge laser cannon and a weird pet alien cat who wants to rule the world but is also a really cool and nice guy

half of his lines are just him laughing really loudly and shouting about how they're going to beat up the bad guy and take over the world. he also has a subplot about making up with his wife who left him to travel the world painting landscapes

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 21, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the way i read that sentence it was the alien cat who wanted to take over the world but was a normal cool guy

i should bed

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's ok i worded it poorly because i need to sleep right now too

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm quite partial to "Hurt" and "Hurtmore" myself

This except Grandia's 'WOW!', 'BOOM!', 'BOOM-POW!' and 'BA-BOOM!'

True Blue Triumph
Apr 10, 2009

Can anyone tell me how to be good at Berseria's combat? It's really fun but I think I'm extremely bad at it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm playing the first Evil Within (just finished Chapter 6 I think with the daytime graveyard area) and I think I kinda like that game! I do have one question: is getting the glasses for the dude from the dog optional? Or is that a forced objective?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

True Blue Triumph posted:

Can anyone tell me how to be good at Berseria's combat? It's really fun but I think I'm extremely bad at it

Mash away until like the last boss when it finally stops working, then quit and watch the ending online.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Taintrunner posted:

I'm playing the first Evil Within (just finished Chapter 6 I think with the daytime graveyard area) and I think I kinda like that game! I do have one question: is getting the glasses for the dude from the dog optional? Or is that a forced objective?

It's not optional. Defeating the dog when you go back in is, though. Generally speaking, if the game wants you to run from an encounter, you can stick around instead and to kill whatever is coming after you to get lots of gel.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

True Blue Triumph posted:

A big thing that was hard for me to get into the combat was setting up combos. So, I can talk about what I ended up doing that worked pretty well.

What I did was try to put same element attacks on the same button combo. Since each each element works with a specific status effect and debuff (enemies weak to fire are weak to burn and burned enemies get arte attack down more easily), try to group those together. Also, I would try to keep elements grouped to same button across characters (except for characters that didn't get an element) so that it was easier to switch between them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf9zPeN2va4

New mario bros world record, it's down to such a science now that it has to be measured in hundredths of a second, soon to be thousandths

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Bought Persona 5 today :getin:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Nice. Enjoy the ride

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

just watch out for those scary gay rapists!!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

Nice. Enjoy the ride

this takes a new context in light of this

corn in the bible posted:

just watch out for those scary gay rapists!!

:ohdear:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bought a Nintendo Switch. :////////

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

I said come in! posted:

I bought a Nintendo Switch. :////////

Mario Odyssey is gonna own

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah, then what? What other Nintendo exclusives are in the pipe?

Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which looks like “Women Are Literal Objects: Boob Window RPG” which doesn’t make it bad, just ehhh scratch that, I thought the female lead WAS the MCs weapon, just transformed? I was misinformed.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 21, 2017

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

I have no interest in playing a game with a shirtless pedophile in it. Splatoon 2 is great though and i'm excited for Xenoblade 2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:raise:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

LawfulWaffle posted:

Yeah, then what? What other Nintendo exclusives are in the pipe?

Skyrim and Doom, obviously.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

“It’s-a me, Mario! Do I have-a your consent to capture your body and subjugate your-a will, possibly using you to-a harm your friend and family? I am legally re-a-quired to disclose my history of Yoshi abuse-a.”

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pop up book Yoshi

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Somehow the game where they give Mario a gun is the second most terrifying Mario game of 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Greetings, I'm Mario's visible hog bulge

edit: Also, I bought Sonic Mania and it's really great, but I'm still bummed that it's been 25 years and the 2D Sonic games still reward exploration like they always have instead of skilled platforming

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 21, 2017

• Locked thread