Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The new pyro cannon is just retarded. It'll 2 shot any class under 175hp, including other pyros. Anything above that is just an extra shot in the general direction of the enemy since the thing seems to have hit detection on par with the airblast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What the hell, every time the game I'm on votes next map to be Banana Bay, the server appears to shut down/crash when the map changes?

I'm also having the bug with items granted for a contract disappearing while the contract is still active.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 21, 2017

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Handy hint to anyone who just started the pyro campaign. do NOT go for the gas cannister thing before the flame thrower. It doesn't recharge like mad milk or just only get one use them you need to restock it. It's dependant on damage you do. and on servers full of pyros with only the flame thrower and no secondary. you almost never get a chance to use it. I'm gonna be stuck trying to clear this one for a while. :saddowns: ...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If for some hosed up reason you still use FrankenHUD it's been updated. Jesus christ, is this HUD really nearly seven years old?!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

QwertySanchez posted:

Handy hint to anyone who just started the pyro campaign. do NOT go for the gas cannister thing before the flame thrower. It doesn't recharge like mad milk or just only get one use them you need to restock it. It's dependant on damage you do. and on servers full of pyros with only the flame thrower and no secondary. you almost never get a chance to use it. I'm gonna be stuck trying to clear this one for a while. :saddowns: ...

I don't understand its recharge mechanic yet, but the primary part of the contract itself wasn't too difficult, and you need to finish it for the jetpack anyway.
It's a bit annoying having to juggle between different contracts depending on what the map can support, especially for the campaign contracts since you start out with Offense, Defense and Merc Park contracts (after the Free For All one). And most of the new maps are symmetric (KOTH and PLR) so you can't score on the Offense and Defense contracts at all, and obviously Merc Park contract depends on playing that map.

Is anyone else getting visual glitches like this on some of the new maps?

I tried doing a Verify Game Files in Steam but it doesn't seem like it repaired anything.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

nielsm posted:

Is anyone else getting visual glitches like this on some of the new maps?

I tried doing a Verify Game Files in Steam but it doesn't seem like it repaired anything.

No, but I've heard other people in chat complain about "polygons appearing" and I was very confused till now

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
If I hand in a contract without completing the bonus missions, can I go back to it later or is it closed forever? I haven't finished the first contract yet because I still need to get 10 points in one life 3 more times :suicide:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

If I hand in a contract without completing the bonus missions, can I go back to it later or is it closed forever? I haven't finished the first contract yet because I still need to get 10 points in one life 3 more times :suicide:

Yes. You can always re-activate a contract with incomplete objectives. I've done that several times already. You can also switch away from a contract with a partially completed objective, and resume it later.

When I played on Mossrock (CP attack/defend) previously, I switched between the Attack and Defense contracts between rounds, even if they weren't complete. Then when the next map was Banana Bay, which doesn't have attacking/defending teams, I switched back to the Free For All contract to complete the 10 points in a single life bonus objective, which is easy when you have a cart to push and pyros to mow down with a minigun :)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Do you actually get better rewards if you complete a contract with all the bonus objectives?

Also, I miss being able to work on two contracts at once :/

You know what the pyro absolutely needed? A way to outright destroy sentries from distance.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Do you actually get better rewards if you complete a contract with all the bonus objectives?

You get more stars, which allow you to unlock contracts that need multiple stars. In the pyro ones, just the banana contract.

I haven't tried the jungle contracts yet, but I imagine those bonus objectives also get you more 'blood money'.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

I'm enjoying Mossrock so far

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I found a way to cheese the 10 points in one life - go vaccinator medic and spam ubers in setup :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The new flamethrower is goddamn crazy. Good news, this game's still fun. Bad news, I still hate the stupid matchmaking system and much preferred when I didn't have to wait to play the video game I have limited amounts of time to play already.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
https://twitter.com/ValveNewsNetwor/status/921582891376824320

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
can't even connect to the TF2 game coordinator so i can't play a game because lol matchmaking mandatory

and apparently the game thinks i want to use a 360 controller in menus despite disconnecting it

gg valve

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ditocoaf posted:

You get more stars, which allow you to unlock contracts that need multiple stars. In the pyro ones, just the banana contract.

I haven't tried the jungle contracts yet, but I imagine those bonus objectives also get you more 'blood money'.

Nope, doing bonus objectives on jungle contracts still only gets you more stars. But you will need a lot of stars to unlock every contract to get all the blood money.

If you want to get to all the map contracts you have to first get through the 2fort contract (and the Merc Park contract).

Apparently also, those contracts that have 3 "Activate" buttons on them, what those do is you select one variation of the contract permanently. E.g. choosing the Heavy version of the Defensive Classes one, I can't go back and do Demoman instead.

Edit: One more thing: Yes, those two war paint cases you can buy for blood money, they also require a key to unlock. So to claim all of the limited items for yourself you will need at least 4 keys, in addition to the campaign pass. They become tradeable after 7 days, it looks like.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 21, 2017

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

:eyepoop:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
now the searching for game indicator is in...chinese? Japanese? I don't know them well enough to tell the difference but it's definitely an asian language

and i can't stop searching for a game

and when i joined a community server i couldn't actually select a class except heavy because it wanted me to select one with a controller that wasn't even connected

update status so far: raging garbage fire

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Slime posted:

now the searching for game indicator is in...chinese? Japanese? I don't know them well enough to tell the difference but it's definitely an asian language

and i can't stop searching for a game

and when i joined a community server i couldn't actually select a class except heavy because it wanted me to select one with a controller that wasn't even connected

update status so far: raging garbage fire

Tried deleting all your config files from the game?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

nielsm posted:

Tried deleting all your config files from the game?

I've cleared both the cfg and custom folders, no change, it's still hosed

use the gamepad is unchecked and it's still insisting i use the 360 controller

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Slime posted:

I've cleared both the cfg and custom folders, no change, it's still hosed

use the gamepad is unchecked and it's still insisting i use the 360 controller

My best suggestion then is to open Device Manager, turn on Show Hidden Devices in the View menu, and see if you can find any grayed out version of it there. If you can, try removing it. Also check the Controller settings in Steam itself, and the Game Controllers control panel in Windows.
Apart from that, make sure to click the "Submit a bug" button on the main menu and describe the problem.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Heh, the Ambassador is absolutely garbage now. 52 damage crits at medium range.
Never actually used it often, since I prefer stock or Diamondback, but still, this nerf seems a bit too harsh. They should at least have buffed it in some other area to make up for it.

I guess you can still use it to 2-shot unaware snipers using the Razorback at least.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Heh, the Ambassador is absolutely garbage now. 52 damage crits at medium range.
Never actually used it often, since I prefer stock or Diamondback, but still, this nerf seems a bit too harsh. They should at least have buffed it in some other area to make up for it.

I guess you can still use it to 2-shot unaware snipers using the Razorback at least.

What's medium range to you? I played with it a little and did 96 at a range well beyond what most classes can effectively fight in.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

King Lazer posted:

What's medium range to you? I played with it a little and did 96 at a range well beyond what most classes can effectively fight in.

Trying to fight against people on the mid to far end of the bridge on 2Fort while staying on my teams' side. Not exactly scientific, but it was mostly just for testing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

nielsm posted:

My best suggestion then is to open Device Manager, turn on Show Hidden Devices in the View menu, and see if you can find any grayed out version of it there. If you can, try removing it. Also check the Controller settings in Steam itself, and the Game Controllers control panel in Windows.
Apart from that, make sure to click the "Submit a bug" button on the main menu and describe the problem.

tried all that but given that i can't even seem to get into an actual match and the community servers i tried were horrible and had crazy lagspikes constantly i don't think there's much point reporting this controller bug

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Ok so I finally managed to actually get some games and...uh

afterburn is even more useless than before
the gas passer is like...ok it lets you hit people with afterburn i guess??? it's not really, uh...is it meant to be useless?
the flame particle effects are goddamn blinding and i have no idea how much damage the dragon's fury does because i can't see the damage numbers for the big ol' fireball

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is the fall damage sound effect new? It's a lot more crunchy than a remember, and also weirdly long.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ok, now I've been in the queue for an hour. Twice.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/recommended/440

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I think the match making server is over loaded.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

treat posted:

The new pyro cannon is just retarded. It'll 2 shot any class under 175hp, including other pyros. Anything above that is just an extra shot in the general direction of the enemy since the thing seems to have hit detection on par with the airblast.
so, it's weaker than a rocket launcher and doesn't give you quite as good mobility?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ariong posted:

Is the fall damage sound effect new? It's a lot more crunchy than a remember, and also weirdly long.
Yes, there's a new bone-crunching sound and the character will make an appropriate pain grunt.

Jippa posted:

Yeah I think the match making server is over loaded.
The game's gone from a regular average of ~51k simultaneous players to nearly 95k in the space of a day. Overloaded is probably likely.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

IronicDongz posted:

so, it's weaker than a rocket launcher and doesn't give you quite as good mobility?

Oh drat, you got me. Yup, it's a rocket launcher for the pyro. Man, you really catch the bullshit, don't you?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

treat posted:

Oh drat, you got me. Yup, it's a rocket launcher for the pyro. Man, you really catch the bullshit, don't you?

Except it has really short range and doesn't explode as such? It's just an alternate flamethrower that rewards precise single-shot aim and timing over decent tracking aim.

Too much Banana Bay :(

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

nielsm posted:

Except it has really short range and doesn't explode as such? It's just an alternate flamethrower that rewards] precise single-shot aim and timing over decent tracking aim.
You're loving kidding me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

treat posted:

so you agree that it's not overpowered, then

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Every TF2 weapon has the bizarre habit of being obscenely overpowered when everyone else is using it, and grossly underpowered when I'm using it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Remember that the new flamethrower does +300% damage to burning enemies.I think one of the reasons it feels so powerful right now is that everyone is pyro, so everything is on fire all the time.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 21, 2017

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Gas Passer is a really cool item idea on paper but sucks in practice. It takes far too long to charge to be useful.

I really dig the new maps. Banana Bay is an instant classic, Mossrock is cool but it has some busted particle effects and the train is very janky (you can't stand on it properly, compared to the Banana Bay one which works as it should)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

banana bay is the neon annihilator map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Banana Bay is all the fun of Hightower except it actually loving ends eventually