Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Vargs posted:

This is interesting info. Though even with this cheat sheet I'm not sure it's worth bothering with treasure hunts, because chances are you just end up getting one of these many garbage events with nothing noteworthy. Not sure what they were thinking with these 500-1000g rewards. That doesn't even pay for the turn of upkeep your army just spent screwing around with this. The ritual currency might be nice if the race actually mattered, but it doesn't at all.

Treasure hunting should be a hero action, not an army thing. Even then finding gold would barely cover upkeep, but at least you'd presumably be getting some exp as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lol if you don't have an army that's just a single Lord running around nabbing 10k treasure turtles and wax-sealed rations (-10% upkeep factionwide) out of a skull filled with gold or whatever.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Here's a novel idea, inspired by Elf nobles farming influence:

Have dwarf thanes have a skill called 'settle minor grudge' which interacts with a settlement. It has a chance of success, which lowers your grudge meter a little. It also has a small chance of critical success, which settles a random grudge currently in the dammaz kron.

You could use this ability to keep grudges under control, especially for one difficult to resolve.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Or, they can reduce public order by 3.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Har har. That passive isn't terribly useful for Dwarves or most races that don't spread corruption, especially on harder difficulties. At least pairing it with high corruption you can have an impact, but even that is pretty slow.

Dwarves can be prone to grudge spirals and with more races spreading corruption its going to be a bigger problem. Having multiple ways of managing it would help.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Tyrion clears his throat, and then BY ASURYAN LETS GET THAT FUCKTARDED EMO KING

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

dead comedy forums posted:

Tyrion clears his throat, and then BY ASURYAN LETS GET THAT FUCKTARDED EMO KING

A gaggle of elves from 3 factions are currently face-banging me in my skrolk campaign after I (foolishly) started the first ritual. They all have multiple stacks and one has begun settling the razed settlements I took the time to demolish.

It's kind of an annoying quirk of a skaven campaign. You either have a surplus of food but not a large empire and you constantly re-raze settlements to keep various ai factions from settling there, or you run an irritating food deficit.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

In my helves game I taken about 3/4 of the circle and while I was busy dealing with norscans and delves in the north the other helf kingdom pretty much wrecked Canada elves all by themselves. I would say if its your first time playing them, go with Tyrion. It might be annoying fighting other hat elves for the first half of your campaign but it teaches you how they work. If you played other total war games you probably have a certain mindset - these are my line troops and these guys are my ranged auxiliaries. In helf case it is the other way around. Archers are the core of your army and everybody else is a screening force to let them do their jobs and the AI actually knows this. It changes somewhat when you get dragons but not really all that different.

Basically when your armies lock in melee its not about who's spears poke hardest. Their job is to stand there poking while your archers do actual killing. Helf melee stats are almost irrelevant, their main job is to last long enough for archers to get around to killing their opponents. Someone previously posted that they go with 2 archers for 3 spearmen - this is wrong, you should have parity or even more archers than melee troops.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

While I'm all for adding more women to games, Neferata would mean another drat vampire legendary lord. It'd be nice if she played substantially differently, but still. So that leaves Allariele, Khalida, Helberon, and...Valkia I guess. I imagine she'd be a game three character though.

Are there no female ogres? The maneater with the rolling pin doesn't count.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Tried VH Teclis and he actually has things to do, it's amazing. Swordmasters are gross infantry blendes and overcasted nets of armyntok backed by 10 archers is absolutely revolting. If anyone hasn't used the Invocation of Vaul rite for the helves, I highly recommend using the Invocation of Vaul rite for the helves. Holy gently caress, I made three full units disappear.

It's a pity Teclis's phoenix thingo doesn't seem that good, I think I've gotten the same thing from an item and that was lacklustre as well. Goes forever but doesn't do a whole lot of damage, but it's free and I can drop it after a net with kindleflame to buff so I guess I can't complain.

My sailor lord found a triangle of skull islands about a turn apart north of the fortress of dawn :shepface:

They're not exactly an exciting army to play early on, and it's a pity Tyrion is even more not exciting, but drat if they're not effective.

e: oh yeah and Vaul gave me an item that gives +15% missile damage map wide, because I needed it.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 21, 2017

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Aurubin posted:

While I'm all for adding more women to games, Neferata would mean another drat vampire legendary lord. It'd be nice if she played substantially differently, but still. So that leaves Allariele, Khalida, Helberon, and...Valkia I guess. I imagine she'd be a game three character though.

Are there no female ogres? The maneater with the rolling pin doesn't count.

Also Ariel who, I assume, is pretty much a lock if they ever add a third WE LL.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Panfilo posted:

Have dwarf thanes have a skill called 'settle minor grudge' which interacts with a settlement. It has a chance of success, which lowers your grudge meter a little. It also has a small chance of critical success, which settles a random grudge currently in the dammaz kron.

You could use this ability to keep grudges under control, especially for one difficult to resolve.

See, I think that grudges would interact very well with Dwarven rites. Summat like:

Rite of Grugni - Only usable when grudges at the lowest level - Expensive, but gives the artefact choice like rite of Vaul with some banging items, plus bonus income from mines and some random gyrocopters or something
Rite of Valaya - Usable when grudges are at the lowest or second lowest level. +Growth, +taxes, really cheap.
Rite of Gazul - Usable anytime, expensive, gives +untainted and +public order
Rite of Grimnir - Usable only when grudges are on the highest meter. Expunges your worst/longest standing grudge, but gives a public order/growth/attrition hit.

Rewards you for keeping your grudges under control, but also gives you a safety valve for the infuriating "assassinate this random loser" grudges.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Only if a critical failure adds a grudge :colbert:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gitro posted:

Tried VH Teclis and he actually has things to do, it's amazing. Swordmasters are gross infantry blendes and overcasted nets of armyntok backed by 10 archers is absolutely revolting. If anyone hasn't used the Invocation of Vaul rite for the helves, I highly recommend using the Invocation of Vaul rite for the helves. Holy gently caress, I made three full units disappear.

It's a pity Teclis's phoenix thingo doesn't seem that good, I think I've gotten the same thing from an item and that was lacklustre as well. Goes forever but doesn't do a whole lot of damage, but it's free and I can drop it after a net with kindleflame to buff so I guess I can't complain.

My sailor lord found a triangle of skull islands about a turn apart north of the fortress of dawn :shepface:

They're not exactly an exciting army to play early on, and it's a pity Tyrion is even more not exciting, but drat if they're not effective.

e: oh yeah and Vaul gave me an item that gives +15% missile damage map wide, because I needed it.

The Overcast version of Fiery Convocation is like 3 times as powerful as the non-overcast version that Teclis has. It goes from having basically no AP damage to twice as much damage as the regular version and pure AP. Would be nice if CA evened out the two versions a touch.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Arcsquad12 posted:

So what QOL features are there in this game that improve upon WH1? Is the combat feedback better? Warhammer 1 was big on spectacle but I felt like the actual melee was a bit floaty and not as crunchy as Medieval 2 or as slicey as Shogun 2.

i think the blood DLC actually helps this a lot which is why im kinda sad its taking so long to get in.
if a splash of blood appears you know your soldier at least successfully hit theirs, whereas in TW its often pretty difficult to tell a miss from a wound or a knocked down from a killed.
also a pack of soldiers turning into pink mist when a cannonball hits them is pretty clear.

I wouldn't mind TW:arena style damage numbers either, but until now I'll take the edgy gore dlc.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Wondering if they'll put TW:W1 on sale when Mortal Empires is released? I'm looking to pick it up a bit cheaper.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Gitro posted:

My favourite use of the invocation of vaul is waiting for an enemy lord to climb up a ladder during sieges and then instantly sniping them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mukip posted:

My favourite use of the invocation of vaul is waiting for an enemy lord to climb up a ladder during sieges and then instantly sniping them.

My favourite is accidentally murdering my own phoenix with it.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Got the dwarf/gobbo DLC for TW:W1. God it's weird going back to the first game. It just feels so empty and flat...dwarves are boring and bad? They were my first race and felt unmovable and unkillable but in the Belegar campaign they just feel so weak. I think I miss the content of interesting hero chains, and having stuff to do on the map. The badlands really are a tarpit if you go down there to clear, esp with the 50% penalty on your armies.

Will he carry over to TW:W2 when the combined map lands? I feel he'd be more fun if all the heroes, lords and building chains were a bit more fleshed out.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, Belegar is still there on the combined map. Queek is now also focused on taking Eight Peaks as well.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

winegums posted:

Got the dwarf/gobbo DLC for TW:W1. God it's weird going back to the first game. It just feels so empty and flat...dwarves are boring and bad? They were my first race and felt unmovable and unkillable but in the Belegar campaign they just feel so weak. I think I miss the content of interesting hero chains, and having stuff to do on the map. The badlands really are a tarpit if you go down there to clear, esp with the 50% penalty on your armies.

Will he carry over to TW:W2 when the combined map lands? I feel he'd be more fun if all the heroes, lords and building chains were a bit more fleshed out.

The key with Belegar is to really exploit the fact that you start with Four Ghost Dads. The spectral heroes are immune to being wounded on the strategic map and have immense damage resistance in battles. Belegar's campaign works differently than the other Dwarves; it feels much more like a guerilla war toward liberating Karak 8 Peaks than a gradual expansion and defense of your reclaimed empire. Many people like to rush K8P because the upkeep penalty is so steep as well as the grudge meter eventually getting maxed out causing other problems. Some abandon Karak Izor entirely. I like to take my time, the Dwarf way of slow and steady wins the race. Understand Karak 8 Peaks is guarded by 2 full stacks of Crooked Moon Munitious Gits and it is unlikely other Dwarves or Greenskins will be of much help dislodging them. You need to pull together a force big enough to finish them off, and I like to establish a staging ground in say Valaya's Sorrow or Black Iron Mine to that end. Once you capture it though you get some nice bonuses; global exp bonuses to every army each turn and a unique building that eventually lets any army in the province have all their units count as having magical attacks.

Having a Ranger-centric army is also fun. Less armor/ammo than quarrelers, but stealth and vanguard deployment give you a lot of flexibility in setting them up. I don't think Bugman's Rangers are worth the cost increase just to have them get regeneration, but some mods like SFO boost them up to make them worth the price point.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Panfilo posted:

The key with Belegar is to really exploit the fact that you start with Four Ghost Dads. The spectral heroes are immune to being wounded on the strategic map and have immense damage resistance in battles. Belegar's campaign works differently than the other Dwarves; it feels much more like a guerilla war toward liberating Karak 8 Peaks than a gradual expansion and defense of your reclaimed empire. Many people like to rush K8P because the upkeep penalty is so steep as well as the grudge meter eventually getting maxed out causing other problems. Some abandon Karak Izor entirely. I like to take my time, the Dwarf way of slow and steady wins the race. Understand Karak 8 Peaks is guarded by 2 full stacks of Crooked Moon Munitious Gits and it is unlikely other Dwarves or Greenskins will be of much help dislodging them. You need to pull together a force big enough to finish them off, and I like to establish a staging ground in say Valaya's Sorrow or Black Iron Mine to that end. Once you capture it though you get some nice bonuses; global exp bonuses to every army each turn and a unique building that eventually lets any army in the province have all their units count as having magical attacks.

Having a Ranger-centric army is also fun. Less armor/ammo than quarrelers, but stealth and vanguard deployment give you a lot of flexibility in setting them up. I don't think Bugman's Rangers are worth the cost increase just to have them get regeneration, but some mods like SFO boost them up to make them worth the price point.

I don't know if this still would work because the game has changed a lot with more expansions, but what worked for me when it first came out, was to charge north, assimilate the dwarves north of you, kill skarsnik, then charge for K8P.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I am so hyped for Mortal Empires, if anything because how it will transform both the un-fun and fun starting positions.

Empire keeps getting harder, but on the other hand they are a great campaign for easily fighting every race in the game. Seriously, I don't think anybody else gets as many chances to fight as many different races and monsters as Empire. Some of the more nomadic races perhaps (Chaos/Beastmen) or taking it upon yourself to have a migration to another area (any race potentially). Having to fight so many different enemies though keeps you on your toes, and puts emphasis to have heroes and lords suited for each threat, be it changes to the stock game or mods (I particularly loved wizard lords since it gave you wizards so much sooner).

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

So, yeah. Tier 4 minor settlements interacts somewhat... curiously... with Dark Elves.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Eh, I'm pretty sure I've gotten more money from Naggarond than that without tier 4 minor settlements. You need to get a full 10 khainite assassins in there with the slave income boost skill, and High Elf slaves for them and the lord and any other heroes you might have there in the rest of the intervention defense stack.

e: Actually I might be misremembering, I can't find a save where I'm making more than about 33k in the province.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 21, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Will ghost dads getting immortality in me help

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Getting the tier 4 slave market in minors is a big plus to DE economics, but that's just the way it is. It was mostly the same for Dwarves getting tier 4 industry buildings everywhere. By the time Naggarond has that kind of slave income you are probably winning your game handily anyway, since you have to beat up basically everyone in the North to get the 15000 slaves it will take to fill Naggarond(7000)+2 tier 4(4000 each). And thats with just Naggarond receiving slaves.

It's really just letting you snowball faster, which is probably a good thing since past about turn 75-80 the challenge tends to fall off drastically and its just empire management tedium.

Staltran posted:

Eh, I'm pretty sure I've gotten more money from Naggarond than that without tier 4 minor settlements. You need to get a full 10 khainite assassins in there with the slave income boost skill, and High Elf slaves for them and the lord and any other heroes you might have there in the rest of the intervention defense stack.

e: Actually I might be misremembering, I can't find a save where I'm making more than about 33k in the province.

No, hes right in the sense that tier 4s allow tier 4 slave markets in all 3 regions, which is a big multiplier to slave profits. I just don't think it's problematic because its a late game bonus that the AI will rarely to never benefit from meaningfully since they don't optimize for that like any intelligent player will.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 21, 2017

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

It'd be cool if Bugman's Rangers were melee capable, making them into a Shade/Lothern Sea Guard-esque ranged hybrid for the Dwarfs. You don't see them much and it's a shame because they look rad as gently caress and why haven't we got Josef Bugman himself as a character?????

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

It'd be cool if Bugman's Rangers were melee capable, making them into a Shade/Lothern Sea Guard-esque ranged hybrid for the Dwarfs.

Aren't quarrellers pretty much the same thing already?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Yeah, I mean Quarrellers can defend themselves, but Bugman's Rangers could have more impressive melee stats allowing them to cut through foes in melee quicker, on the account of them being all liquored up or something. Maybe it's not the most inspired idea, but some improvement would be welcome imo

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Have they said anything on when the new Norsca roster will make its way into WH2 and ME? I don't see any of the two factions on the preview map, so I guess they haven't built them in yet.

e: Also, name changes maybe for the generic names from WH1? ie. no more "Greenskins" and "Dwarfs". Though of course that's a really simple mod to make, but they already seem to have moved away from this in WH2, so it wouldn't really mesh well to have half the Old World factions still have those generic race names.

e2: I guess Bretonnia (led by king Louen) and the Empire still make sense to keep. Though ofcourse it would be fun if they did something like in Rome 2 and Charlemagne campaign for Atilla, where your faction name changes (in Rome 2 when confederating a tribe IIRC, and in Charlemagne when you absorbed Carloman's kingdom) upon reaching a specific threshold. Could make for kind of a fun thing if they actually finally do something about making Boris and Middenland playable. Boris is a pretender to the Imperial throne so you could have it that the Empire faction is now Reikland, and you can play either Franz or Boris and you become the Empire and get a load of bonuses (and maybe the ability to confederate?) after defeating your rival. Would be best if this worked somewhat differently from just outright conquest, a series of missions, some quest battles maybe, and the ability to confederate your rival Norsca style by defeating them in battle, or something else that's different from outright conquest.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 21, 2017

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Have they said anything on when the new Norsca roster will make its way into WH2 and ME? I don't see any of the two factions on the preview map, so I guess they haven't built them in yet.

Yeah Norsca was developed late into WH2's cycle so they couldn't work them into Vortex or ME. Think they're planned for the next major patch after ME, so probably same time Tomb Kings drop (guessing that'll be the next big patch/DLC).

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
In the stream they did about mortal empires showing off the Lord Select screen, it looks like Morathi starts with witch elves, xbow dark riders, and hydra, instead of just harpies and hydra.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

nopantsjack posted:

i think the blood DLC actually helps this a lot which is why im kinda sad its taking so long to get in.

Isn't it coming out alongside ME? I remember reading that somewhere.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Mazz posted:

Getting the tier 4 slave market in minors is a big plus to DE economics, but that's just the way it is. It was mostly the same for Dwarves getting tier 4 industry buildings everywhere. By the time Naggarond has that kind of slave income you are probably winning your game handily anyway, since you have to beat up basically everyone in the North to get the 15000 slaves it will take to fill Naggarond(7000)+2 tier 4(4000 each). And thats with just Naggarond receiving slaves.

It's really just letting you snowball faster, which is probably a good thing since past about turn 75-80 the challenge tends to fall off drastically and its just empire management tedium.

No, hes right in the sense that tier 4s allow tier 4 slave markets in all 3 regions, which is a big multiplier to slave profits. I just don't think it's problematic because its a late game bonus that the AI will rarely to never benefit from meaningfully since they don't optimize for that like any intelligent player will.

Ohhh, i don't think it's a problem. I mean, it's vs the AI. Once your on multiple tier 4 minor settlements you've basically stabilised and it's just seeing out the game. I just find the results funny, this isn't even using agents or actually really optimising. I may need to check to see just how far i could get it actually. Maybe with Tiranoc or something.

Interestingly seems that the public order bonuses can flip. Naggarond's actually gaining public order for having so many slaves and they never decrease. I don't think they're increasing though, tricky to check.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How am I supposed to fight skrolk stacks? He melts units down to 1/3 hp (and men) instantly, his catapults fire even when being melee'd, and his infantry doesn't break.

I have nowhere near this trouble with any of the other LLs.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

drat, those lord portraits are quality

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

dead comedy forums posted:

drat, those lord portraits are quality

Actually thats a streamer in a sega chair.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Been reading the Total War subreddit and they are absolutely pissed about that campaign start screen. It's a campaign start screen...I mean how good can it get.

I think it's just like, communal outrage trickling over from yesterday's outrage about the Mortal Empires map size.

When Mortal Empires hits they will be upset about Norsca, then when Norsca hits they will be upset about the color of one of the Norscan hats. It will always be something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It does look a bit tacky tbh.