Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Edit: holy poo poo that was a bad way to start a new page, have a Netflix Punisher trailer instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMW_dPtm7Bo

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cool little detail on Flash's "home made" movie suit:

The lightning is pretty clearly 3d printed with an FDM machine. Most likely not a production screwup because they'd use resin or sintering for actual props you're supposed to think are real since you don't see the lines with those technologies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

Cool little detail on Flash's "home made" movie suit:

The lightning is pretty clearly 3d printed with an FDM machine. Most likely not a production screwup because they'd use resin or sintering for actual props you're supposed to think are real since you don't see the lines with those technologies.

Can you elaborate a bit on the significance? Is it that Barry Allen used an open source 3d printing tech?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Barry Allen is a huge loving nerd.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I think the idea is that they fabricated the prop in a way that visibly indicates a technology that would actually be available to Barry in making his suit. They put thought into the fact that, unlike Superman whose suit was made by Kryptonian future-tech or Batman who presumably had his made by Indonesian children, Barry had to make his by himself.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sir Kodiak posted:

I think the idea is that they fabricated the prop in a way that visibly indicates a technology that would actually be available to Barry in making his suit. They put thought into the fact that, unlike Superman whose suit was made by Kryptonian future-tech or Batman who presumably had his made by Indonesian children, Barry had to make his by himself.

Exactly. A film production easily could have made that lightning bolt perfectly smooth and shiny using a mold, or simply by sanding it down a little bit. But they made it look like it was built by a cosplayer, which is kiiiiinda sorta true in the film's universe.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

Exactly. A film production easily could have made that lightning bolt perfectly smooth and shiny using a mold, or simply by sanding it down a little bit. But they made it look like it was built by a cosplayer, which is kiiiiinda sorta true in the film's universe.

Ooo okay. I thought you were highlighting FDM printing for some reason beyond the home made look of the actual print out.

I've liked Barry's movie suit since they first showed it off.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Thanks for pointing that out, bring back old gbs. I love details like that. I don't remember any of them for BvS, but Man of Steel had a number of stories about the amount of work that went into sometimes invisible bits of production design, like the lettering on the Kryptonian body suits, or the Kryptonian text behind the council of elders.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Thanks for pointing that out, bring back old gbs. I love details like that. I don't remember any of them for BvS, but Man of Steel had a number of stories about the amount of work that went into sometimes invisible bits of production design, like the lettering on the Kryptonian body suits, or the Kryptonian text behind the council of elders.

Superman's shield in Batman v Superman which features a Joseph Campbell quote in Kryptonian. "Where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McCloud posted:

Superman's shield in Batman v Superman which features a Joseph Campbell quote in Kryptonian. "Tell that to his snapped neck."

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

McCloud posted:

Superman's shield in Batman v Superman which features a Joseph Campbell quote in Kryptonian. "Where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world."
Wonder Woman’s shield :eng101:

Her sword has the quote “Life is killing life all the time and so the goddess kills herself in the sacrifice of her own animal”.

Superman’s suit also has the Joseph Campbell quote “And where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence; where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.” embedded into its design.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I think he was referring to Superman's chest emblem as a shield, because it is. :ssh:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
No he meant Superman's shield. It was a big deal when Faora shattered it in the Smallville fight, but I bet Bruce repairs it for JL climax.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So does Flash's emblem break ever time he runs?

And why would a Kryptonian suit have an Earth person's quote?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Davros1 posted:

MY IMMERSION

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Turns out Kryptonians have been probing our anuses and stealing our quotes for centuries!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Turns out Kryptonians have been probing our anuses and stealing our quotes for centuries!

Who the gently caress they think they are? Klingons?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So is Green Lantern acknowledged in this JL/DCU or not?

Anyone know? A voice in the trailer clearly says "No Lanterns, no Kryptonians".

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

i think you just answered your own question homeboy

e: unless you mean specifically that ryan reynolds movie in which case, lol no way

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

Rumor has it that a Lantern shows up in a flashback

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Five bucks says it's Abin Sur or Sinestro.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Davros1 posted:

Well, let's say the Kryptonian who made the suit was sent to Earth as a child...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Brother Entropy posted:

i think you just answered your own question homeboy

e: unless you mean specifically that ryan reynolds movie in which case, lol no way

That's exactly what I meant. Is it just a throwaway line, an acknowledgement of the previous film or a hint at something else? That line is the first I've heard mentioned in the DCU so it caught my attention. Sorry for wondering about it.

Homeboy.

Finally saw SM: Homecoming and was really underwhelmed. Maybe I got my hopes too high since so many people raved about it but, to me, roughly 1/3 of it might as well have been called Spiderman: Iron Man, Jr.

I hated all the tech suit poo poo and Peter having to learn it instead of inventing it himself and overcoming the odds that way. The effects, the action, the script, the acting and everything else were all really good but Spiderman himself seemed more like Tony Stark's toy than anything else and Peter mostly lacked any real agency. I could see where they tried to break him out and make him his own thing but the constant AI voice overs and all the HUD interfaces seemed out of character and I found myself getting tired of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Davros1 posted:

Flash, speed-themed wizard, etc.

And it was actually ancient humans who visited Krypton, and taught them the secrets of space flight.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Davros1 posted:

The same reason Shakespeare is better in the original Klingon

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw1T6KYM_4I

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hodgepodge posted:

Well, let's say the Kryptonian who made the suit was sent to Earth as a child...

In Smallville, Jor-El hung out on Earth in like the 50s or 60s or whatever, trying to scope out a suitable family to send Kal-El to. He picked the Kents deliberately.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's some precedents for that in the comics as well, with varying levels of specifics. Jor-El obviously chose Earth because its dominant species resembled Kryptonians almost exactly and thus Kal would be accepted and blend in easier, possibly a rural area specifically because they'd be hardy enough to deal with him, and occasionally the Kents specifically.

Of course, plenty of aliens in the DC universe look suspiciously human, but that kinda goes with the territory. Gets funny with the Lantern Corps also having the most alien aliens they can come up with to contrast. Tameraneans (Starfire's species) are basically Kryptonians with orange skin, more lasers and less sunlight dependence, and also apparently they're actually felines taxonomically. The New Gods are generally humanoid, though given they're almost allegorical characters that might have some relation to humanity. It's weird.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Don't forget the Daxamites. Basically Kryptonian but allergic to lead

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

BiggerBoat posted:

I rewatched the first JL trailer and noticed something I'd missed the first time. Someone says "No Lanterns. No Kryptonians...This world will fall."

I didn't know they were acknowledging Green Lantern at all in this but it'd be cool if they worked him in somehow.

The same trailer has Alfred acknowledging an unseen character who's going to help the heroes. Smart money's on a resurrected Superman, of course, but my bet is it's a stealth Green Lantern insertion. That character's way more important to the Justice League than both Aquaman and Cyborg, and the John Stewart Lantern is probably the most popular incarnation to the average movie-goer.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

Wonder Woman’s shield :eng101:

Her sword has the quote “Life is killing life all the time and so the goddess kills herself in the sacrifice of her own animal”.

Superman’s suit also has the Joseph Campbell quote “And where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence; where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.” embedded into its design.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Superman%27s+shield

Cambridge Dictionary posted:

an object shaped like a shield that is used as a symbol or badge:
The blazer has a shield sewn on the pocket.

:eng101:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rough Lobster posted:

the John Stewart Lantern is probably the most popular incarnation to the average movie-goer.

I couldn't tell you a single thing about the John Stewart Green Lantern, or Green Lantern in general, outside of that I'll never forget Ryan Reynolds snarling GREEN LANTERN'S LIIIGHRARRRRGHHHHHT in one of the trailers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He was the black guy in the good cartoon who was a Marine, annoyed by the Flash and also best friends with him, hosed Hawkgirl and has a future son with her who hangs with Batman Beyond.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Timby posted:

I couldn't tell you a single thing about the John Stewart Green Lantern, or Green Lantern in general, outside of that I'll never forget Ryan Reynolds snarling GREEN LANTERN'S LIIIGHRARRRRGHHHHHT in one of the trailers.

The green lantern break down:

John Stewart: The black green lantern, was in the JLA animated series. Was in the marines but also an architect. Because of hybris, he hosed up caused the death of an entire populated world. No nonsense, usually they lean into his military background.

Hal Jordan: The silver age lantern. Bit stupid, once went mad, destroyed the green lantern corp and tried to recreate reality, but got better.

Kyle Rayner: The replacement for Hal. Got randomly given a ring, and has a chip on his shoulder because he doesn't see himself as worthy of the ring, and that he can't measure up to Hal.

Those are the 3 lanterns that matter. There are several others, but they don't really count ouitside of comics

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Kyle Rayner : Lantern in Morrison's JLA, therefore cool
Jon Stewart : Lantern in Animated Series, therefore cool
Hal Jordan : murdering pyschopath was the only time he was interesting

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yall gorgot Guy Gardner, Space rear end in a top hat

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, the time Hal Jordan went crazy is probably the most interesting one to use for a movie, and so won't be.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy Gardner is the best Red Lantern.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

Guy Gardner is the best Red Lantern.

It sucked, but I liked how the unaired Justice League TV pilot had a character that was Hal Jordan but dressed like Kyle Raynor and named Guy Gardner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I enjoyed reading it at the time, but Geoff John's realisation that most elements of Green Lantern would be improved by it taking on the model of a saturday morning children's TV show doesn't reflect well on Green Lantern as a concept.

• Locked thread