Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’ve just never understood all the suspicion about the jfk shooting. The 6th floor museum in Dallas let’s you stand nearly exactly where Oswald shot from. I’ve hunted a few times in my life but I’ve never been an amazing shot. Just looking down from that vantage point to the “x” on the street, that shot with a scoped rifle would be so stupidly easy to make. Let alone make with a second or third shot while the target is near stationary during a turn. I get that he was well regarded president and there was a ton of peripheral players at the time, but sometimes the answer is just the simplest explanation.

If you’ve never been to that museum btw it is extremely good. And the bbq place across the street has the best loving butter rolls.

A lot of people find the idea that someone can just go off their rocker like that and stat killing something too terrifying to really comprehend. They state their has to be a reason the person did what they did. A popular president couldn't have been shot because of one nutso. A school full of children couldn't have been shot up by one nutso. Horrible event X couldn't happen because of one nutso. There has to be a reason...or it didn't happen and it was all faked. Either way the idea of some shadowy cabal pulling strings is more comforting to them than individuals can just snap like that and have so much power to destroy lives for no real sane reason.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Alkydere posted:

A lot of people find the idea that someone can just go off their rocker like that and stat killing something too terrifying to really comprehend. They state their has to be a reason the person did what they did. A popular president couldn't have been shot because of one nutso. A school full of children couldn't have been shot up by one nutso. Horrible event X couldn't happen because of one nutso. There has to be a reason...or it didn't happen and it was all faked. Either way the idea of some shadowy cabal pulling strings is more comforting to them than individuals can just snap like that and have so much power to destroy lives for no real sane reason.

Almost no one really wants to try to comprehend insanity.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mdemone posted:

Why didn't he fire when the motorcade was heading toward him, down the wide perpendicular avenue a tenth of a mile earlier? Much easier angle, longer time in the line of fire with no escape, no trees blocking the way.

He was delayed because the room he was originally going to fire in, when he got there, had an Android, a lower class British guy, a hyper evolved cat, and a smeghead, so he quickly had to find another floor

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I'm guessing the JFK stuff is (in Trumps view) intended to lessen trust in the CIA or FBI. Them knowing about trips to Mexico and not doing anything or something to that extent. This way when the agencies come down on him/his family/administration they can say theres some sort of bias or that their info is bad.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

titanium posted:

I'm guessing the JFK stuff is (in Trumps view) intended to lessen trust in the CIA or FBI. Them knowing about trips to Mexico and not doing anything or something to that extent. This way when the agencies come down on him/his family/administration they can say theres some sort of bias or that their info is bad.

Nah it was already scheduled to happen and Trump is taking credit.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I've been to JFK memorial. Its a tough shot, but not impossible. But If wanted to shoot JFK from the book depository, I would get a better marksman than Oswald and certainly a better rifle than the crummy Italian thing he used

I'm partial to the conspiracy theory where Oswald was gunning for the Texas Governor rather than JFK, but missed

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Alkydere posted:

While all of this is absolutely true, the JFK hit was actually a triangle of fire set up to make Oswald one of the shooters and the fall guy, while having Euro pros make the frontal headshot, in an operation backed by the Miami mob boss Trafficante, New Orleans mob boss Marcello, and ex-CIA cowboys.

One of the bosses wound up spilling some secret pieces of it many years later while in federal prison, to an undercover FBI guy who had been installed to befriend him and learn old dirt. Can't remember the name of that project at the moment.

They had guys set up in Chicago and Miami during the JFK trip, to do exactly the same thing. One of them hosed up and got arrested in Chicago with a bolt-action rifle on the day of JFK's motorcade there, so they backed off and did it in Dallas.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’ve just never understood all the suspicion about the jfk shooting. The 6th floor museum in Dallas let’s you stand nearly exactly where Oswald shot from. I’ve hunted a few times in my life but I’ve never been an amazing shot. Just looking down from that vantage point to the “x” on the street, that shot with a scoped rifle would be so stupidly easy to make. Let alone make with a second or third shot while the target is near stationary during a turn. I get that he was well regarded president and there was a ton of peripheral players at the time, but sometimes the answer is just the simplest explanation.

If you’ve never been to that museum btw it is extremely good. And the bbq place across the street has the best loving butter rolls.

The second bullet ricocheted around in the car in a way that didn't make sense to people and they spun it into a conspiracy with the peripheral characters you mentioned.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Whoever made that chart is more competent than anyone currently in the White House.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
JFK was assassinated by Magneto, duh

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

haveblue posted:

Attempted assassination of Nixon

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

no, they wouldn't

there are layers and layers of redundant and expedited communications to prevent just that

they fought a loving ground war after both sides had nuclear weapons without the use of nuclear weapons

edit: which isn't to say it's not a concern, but A) lol not with a US launch, and B) they wouldn't love to nuke each other you moron

They fought a ground war because nobody had (again WW2/Japan is an exception) ever used one before. My and other people’s points is that once someone drops a nuke then everybody else will start justifying using nukes for every reason.

e: In other words, nobody wants to be the first. But once someone else does it then nobody cares anymore.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

haveblue posted:

You mean The Comedian, right?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://mobile.twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/921580727799607296

https://mobile.twitter.com/sarahsmithva/status/921563627957735424

https://mobile.twitter.com/virginianpilot/status/921555769786601472

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

mdemone posted:

While all of this is absolutely true, the JFK hit was actually a triangle of fire set up to make Oswald one of the shooters and the fall guy, while having Euro pros make the frontal headshot, in an operation backed by the Miami mob boss Trafficante, New Orleans mob boss Marcello, and ex-CIA cowboys.

One of the bosses wound up spilling some secret pieces of it many years later while in federal prison, to an undercover FBI guy who had been installed to befriend him and learn old dirt. Can't remember the name of that project at the moment.

They had guys set up in Chicago and Miami during the JFK trip, to do exactly the same thing. One of them hosed up and got arrested in Chicago with a bolt-action rifle on the day of JFK's motorcade there, so they backed off and did it in Dallas.

:yikes:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Boris Galerkin posted:

They fought a ground war because nobody had (again WW2/Japan is an exception) ever used one before. My and other people’s points is that once someone drops a nuke then everybody else will start justifying using nukes for every reason.

e: In other words, nobody wants to be the first. But once someone else does it then nobody cares anymore.

So what you're saying is that if we use a pre-emptive strike against North Korea, then apparently using nukes will be the new norm?

I think enough people know about how devastating a nuke is that they wouldn't use it easily

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Withnail posted:

Yeah Mexico is gonna get mad about ancient JFK docs, not 'you're all rapists so we are building a big beautiful wall to keep you out'.

my guess is he was trying to make contact with soviet agents or some poo poo and they told him to screw. oswald was weird pityfull little poo poo who wanted to be big and important. its why he did it. my guess is they hosed up stuff in the investigation and it probably has details about how we checked and double checked with soviet spies to make sure they didnt do it.

Alkydere posted:

yeah. they need a bigger reason, then oswald killed him because oswald was dipshit with compensation issues and ruby killed him because everyone in america wanted oswald dead.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

Anyone who has information that could be helpful to police should call 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.

lol

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

oohhboy posted:

If you are absolutely insistent on dropping a nuke use a stealth bomber. An ICBM sets off so many alarms that before it lands poo poo has already hit the fan.

Trump would tweet before hand saying 'sending in a stealth bomber to deliver HUGE nukes. NK is sad!'

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

So what you're saying is that if we use a pre-emptive strike against North Korea, then apparently using nukes will be the new norm?

I think enough people know about how devastating a nuke is that they wouldn't use it easily

How does using a nuclear weapon without immediate negative consequence not send the signal that the US considers using a nuclear weapon not as big a deal as people make it out to be?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So there's been no follow up anywhere about that alleged East Asian newsletter saying to get your stuff out of Korea so I'm kind of suspicious about it existing at all.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He was delayed because the room he was originally going to fire in, when he got there, had an Android, a lower class British guy, a hyper evolved cat, and a smeghead, so he quickly had to find another floor

The real origin of Jeff K.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So there's been no follow up anywhere about that alleged East Asian newsletter saying to get your stuff out of Korea so I'm kind of suspicious about it existing at all.

As far as I'm aware, no

Plus, it wasn't an official order

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzyw7AcHbuY

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

GreyjoyBastard posted:

no, they wouldn't

there are layers and layers of redundant and expedited communications to prevent just that

they fought a loving ground war after both sides had nuclear weapons without the use of nuclear weapons

edit: which isn't to say it's not a concern, but A) lol not with a US launch, and B) they wouldn't love to nuke each other you moron

I think you'll find that ~INDIANS~ and ~PAKISTANIS~ are bloodthirsty savages and only hold back from aimlessly launching nukes across their shared border because of how tough America is.

Plus, they have a history of war with each other and a complex border situation. Nothing like more responsible nuclear powers like, say, France and the UK.

E: my bad.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 21, 2017

QueenAnnesDead
Apr 17, 2016

GreyjoyBastard posted:

no, they wouldn't

Thank you so much for saying that.

Every time there's talk of escalation with NK this thread demonstrates a sick fascination with/ dismissal of the suffering and death of dehumanized masses, who aren't the same kind of thing as American, or White, or Western individual lives. loving look back a few pages, compare the discussion of one US soldier lost, or 17 people dead in a flood, with the language and affect around any number from hundreds to millions of non-American lives. The past couple of times people were playing strategy games with increasingly obscene excitement, and pooh-poohing each-other's estimates of loss of life, I just took a break. This time it's even worse, honestly. 'Nah it's not that bad because no-one would nuke US back, nobody would dare! Mwahaha,' Jesus gently caress.

Enough has been written by very clever, worried people about the pull that a threat or promise of spectacular violence exerts, over all our imaginations, when the overwhelming power is directed away from 'us,' and the morally defensible position of horrified witness is slyly offered. Opposition to war, whether it's defined broadly as any military intervention abroad, or minimally as nuclear first strike, is an ideological position. You have to work it out with rigor and commitment, and hold to it even if you think 'performing' as anti-war in your daily language feels ridiculous or too 'precious'. Not indulging in playing 'war-war' EVEN 'just for fun' or 'just for now' should be a political sticking-point. It is a consistent, absolute opposition--people chose to go to prison and suffer social ostracisation for it. If you play these games--if your films and games and jokes and hobbyist reading are allowed to turn this into a casual, social pleasure, outside of the realm of Politics--you are prepared to accept other scenarios, other justifications and re-tellings of war, that the state will spin up for you. It may feel superficially clever to have 5 pages of combative displays of knowledge over just where NK bunkers are, and just what thickness of concrete will reduce birth defects three generations down by 20%--but it's not.

"They" would just love to nuke each-other, "over there". As compared to the only nation that has used nukes in the past, has a brutal neo-imperial history encompassing everything from assassination to invasion, whose kill-count grows with every revelation of crimes in 'over there' places like Guatemala and Cambodia, which refuses to stop stockpiling nukes, won't join international treaties and conventions on disarmament, is arguably governed by fascists, whose over-powered executive is repeatedly and publicly hinting at nuclear action, and whose military leaders are rising to international prominence as the figures behind the throne. If the US were 'they,' Americans would have invaded by now to install democracy.

Stop loving talking about other peoples in imperialistic generalizations, either of savage violence or unimportant mass death.

Been reading this thread for 4000 pages but I'll have to leave it again until the tactics-frenzy dies down or the US actually nukes some place.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Aren't we all just unimportant mass death waiting to happen?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Rudoku posted:

Aren't we all just unimportant mass death waiting to happen?

Yes, but QueenAnnesDead is right about the easy slide into dehumanization sometimes seen in here. Every time someone tried to use the cutesy-poo "Norks" to describe North Koreans, I shudder.

e- And I know that was roundly rejected by the majority of everyone here, I'm just pointing out the most glaring example.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 21, 2017

Kale
May 14, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trump is once again taking credit for something he has nothing to do with

More like trying to make it look like he's doing significant stuff besides just twitter bitching at his foils

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JoelJoel posted:

I think you'll find that ~INDIANS~ and ... are bloodthirsty savages and only hold back from aimlessly launching nukes across their shared border because of how tough America is.

Plus, they have a history of war with each other and a complex border situation. Nothing like more responsible nuclear powers like, say, France and the UK.

Please don't use that second term, even in jest, tia.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Willo567 posted:

I really don't know why everyone in this thread is now scared of nuclear armageddon

I've been worried about this for months, yet people have told me to calm the gently caress down about it

Drama?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Willo567 posted:

I really don't know why everyone in this thread is now scared of nuclear armageddon

I've been worried about this for months, yet people have told me to calm the gently caress down about it

:):hf::stonk:

We cured Willo!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KickerOfMice posted:

:):hf::stonk:

We cured Willo!

now let's get nuked for maximum irony

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/MarkMazzettiNYT/status/921790785623937024

Surely all the right wingers who suddenly cared about sexual harassment post-Weinstein will condemn Bill O'Reilly, right?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Wonder if Trump will try saying that if there was a Mexico wall in 1963, Lee Harvey Oswald wouldn't have been able to get back into the US?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

HappyHippo posted:

https://twitter.com/MarkMazzettiNYT/status/921790785623937024
Surely all the right wingers who suddenly cared about sexual harassment post-Weinstein will condemn Bill O'Reilly, right?

Bill O'Reilly posted:

“It’s politically and financially motivated,” he said of the public outcry over the allegations against him, “and we can prove it with shocking information, but I’m not going to sit here in a courtroom for a year and a half and let my kids get beaten up every single day of their lives by a tabloid press that would sit there, and you know it.”
Ah, the good ol' "You'd be amazed at how much irrefutable proof I have of my innocence... but it's just too much hassle to show you this proof, so I'll pay tens of millions of dollars rather than actually showing this clear evidence that I'm not guilty" defense.

We've been seeing that a lot lately.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So it turns out, as usual, to be dumber than originally suspected.

Trump not only failed to call all gold star families, but the white house didn't have an accurate count of fallen soldiers.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

RE: Nuclear war in Korea: I found this video about nuclear escalation and it seems pretty credible to me? Like, India and Pakistan escalating I guess is a concern, but we've been over that. I wasn't so worried before, but considering it, I don't think that the thread so far has really considered how Isreal will react to a US first strike situation. It's bad news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Caros posted:

So it turns out, as usual, to be dumber than originally suspected.

Trump not only failed to call all gold star families, but the white house didn't have an accurate count of fallen soldiers.

I'm not really that interested in the situation so I haven't read about it massively in-depth, but it sounds like calling gold stars wasn't even something past presidents did, so why did Trump make out like it was some presidential duty? He really is a self-basting turkey.

• Locked thread