Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009
So I got Comanchería about two weeks ago and I gotta say I love it. Fortunately my significant other didn't really mind it cluttering up the dinner table for 7 consecutive days (she thinks I'm crazy to be playing board games alone though) as the Comanche culture was destroyed four times within the first 50 years of Spanish colonisation and once about a 100 years in. The mechanics feel like a perfect blend of actual history and enjoyable gameplay, while being respectful to the culture of the people whose story they are attempting to tell. You only have a couple of different Operations to choose from each turn, but all of them tend to affect your later turns in such a way that there's often an argument to be made for picking any one of them at any time. Because of this there is no obvious order of operations you keep repeating before each Passage of Time as could have happened if the game wasn't designed as well as it is. It's quite an elegant system where every choice you make tends to have some small effect on everything consequent. Of course sometimes the actions of the Enemy force you to act in a certain way to stay in the game, but because of how the enemy instruction table works this is usually a situation that you could've seen and prepared for in advance. I missed Navajo Wars when it was released, but if this is any indication of what its like I've got to get it on the next reprint and start keeping an eye on whatever else Joel Toppen is working on.

Have you guys played Comanchería or Navajo Wars and how do you feel about them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I love both of them and unfrtunatunately I have the same problem that I can’t keep them set up. Really good games overall.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well drat I’m going to start clipping counters. That makes a lot of sense.

E: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37769/how-clip-your-counters

I did not realize people also removed counters from the frame via exacto knives. That’s a lot of wear :stare:

Ee: looking at my copy of USE, the madman who owned it before me must’ve carefully shorn the hundreds of counters. This must be the true art form behind wargaming

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 21, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

lol @ the reasoning clipping prevents wear. No wargamer actually plays wargames.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

lol @ the reasoning clipping prevents wear. No wargamer actually plays wargames.

I actually have a conundrum because I have a friend who wants to play historical games (so mostly wargames) with me but I know he has acid fingers. I don't know what it is but he wore down the printing of some of my games to the point where they showed white on the first play. And he keeps bugging me about it but for now I've been dodging the requests by saying I've been busy.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

lol if you dont make people wear latex gloves when they play your games

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

someone make generic wooden infantry blocks so i don't have to risk my chits to early wear and tear kthx

alternatively, start making meeple tanks and infantry with stats printed on them.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Make acid fingered dude use those long bent tweezers.
I like using those to tap things out and it makes me feel all sciencey

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sleekly posted:

Make acid fingered dude use those long bent tweezers.
I like using those to tap things out and it makes me feel all sciencey

I've always wanted to play a wargame in this manner

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've wanted to do that with napoleon's triumph. What are those things called? Alternatively, I might just buy a couple wooden rakes they make for those tiny zen gardens for your office.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Croupier sticks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Siivola posted:

Croupier sticks.

Thanks! Searching for this actually led me to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhKuO8LJEX0

I know they do those star trek command bridge events at large cons. Do wargaming conventions have anything like this? It looks amazing :allears:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks! Searching for this actually led me to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhKuO8LJEX0

I know they do those star trek command bridge events at large cons. Do wargaming conventions have anything like this? It looks amazing :allears:

Oh fun ! I'm just setting up RAF on my big table.

I had not heard there was a new edition in 2009, they added 2-player and a solo German campaign. I'll have to add that to my wishlist.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40209/raf-battle-britain-1940

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

tomdidiot posted:

Anyone played Musket and Pike? I don't know why I have such an interest in poking around pre-WWI/WWII tactical stuff but seem to think any tactical ww1/2 stuff is the devil's work.

Yeah, it's very much in the vein of Great Battles of History but adapted to the organization/tech. of the times. (It's a better treatment than when GBoH tried to get into the period, anyway.) A lot went into the research of how firearms were actually deployed and troops shuffled around in response. The designer notes and play advice sections are gold for insights into the era.

The biggest thing that usually throws people is the cavalry interception stuff. There's plenty of examples out there by now that should help that along though. Also there's some marker fiddleyness involved and a high amount of wristage. Overall it's solid grog but if you can handle ASL or LaBatt etc. it shouldn't be a problem.

Croupier Stick chat: The closest I've gotten was TSR's Battle of Britain.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

Ee: looking at my copy of USE, the madman who owned it before me must’ve carefully shorn the hundreds of counters. This must be the true art form behind wargaming

You don't have to go through all that trouble. Buy a laminate rounder and go to town.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I really want to like Thunderbolt Apache Leader but it’s such a kick in the nuts every time I get it out to play. The rules are vague and the playbook could have been laid out coin style to clear a few things up.

Still I’m planning on giving it another shot tomorrow.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I find arming each aircraft to be most tedious and off putting part. Once you get into Day 1 I find it really plays well but that initial loadout setup is my hurdle.

There are cheat sheets on BGG showing each aircraft and what it can carry to cut down a little on the constant cross crecking between card and chit. They help me get to the swoop around throwing ordnance everywhere part faster.

This video is good for general gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9RxcMgZwpo

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Sleekly posted:

I find arming each aircraft to be most tedious and off putting part. Once you get into Day 1 I find it really plays well but that initial loadout setup is my hurdle.

There are cheat sheets on BGG showing each aircraft and what it can carry to cut down a little on the constant cross crecking between card and chit. They help me get to the swoop around throwing ordnance everywhere part faster.

This video is good for general gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9RxcMgZwpo

I printer the cheat sheets out and set up an new game for the morning coffee. I also read through some of the rules again which should speed things up.

I also need to get through Colonial Twilight tomorrow before my wife returns from her road trip..

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Thanks for the Thunderbolt Apache Leader stuff. I've punched it and read the rules but I'm a little intimidated by the complexity.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Erghh posted:

Yeah, it's very much in the vein of Great Battles of History but adapted to the organization/tech. of the times. (It's a better treatment than when GBoH tried to get into the period, anyway.) A lot went into the research of how firearms were actually deployed and troops shuffled around in response. The designer notes and play advice sections are gold for insights into the era.

The biggest thing that usually throws people is the cavalry interception stuff. There's plenty of examples out there by now that should help that along though. Also there's some marker fiddleyness involved and a high amount of wristage. Overall it's solid grog but if you can handle ASL or LaBatt etc. it shouldn't be a problem.

Croupier Stick chat: The closest I've gotten was TSR's Battle of Britain.

I've never played ASL or LaBatt but understand and can sort of play GBoH; I really want to get into LaBatt, as I find Napoleonics more interesting, but the multitude of rule systems (XXX, Marie-Louise, as-written etc.) is really putting me off the game. Musket and Pike seems like a more approachable system that is still an interesting time period.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

I've never played ASL or LaBatt but understand and can sort of play GBoH; I really want to get into LaBatt, as I find Napoleonics more interesting, but the multitude of rule systems (XXX, Marie-Louise, as-written etc.) is really putting me off the game. Musket and Pike seems like a more approachable system that is still an interesting time period.

Battles From the Age of Reason is basically La Batt with unified rules (and not Napoleonics obviously). It’s very good.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I've only read the rules to M&P but it seems very well done. Someday I'll get around to playing my copy of Nothing Gained but Glory.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

Battles From the Age of Reason is basically La Batt with unified rules (and not Napoleonics obviously). It’s very good.

I've been eyeing Fontenoy for a while - it seems to be the only one not out of print and readily available across the Pond.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

I've been eyeing Fontenoy for a while - it seems to be the only one not out of print and readily available across the Pond.

I have Fontenoy, and it’s basically the gold standard BAR game. It includes a mini game (Melle) that’s good as an intro to the system.

Also, there’s a print on demand BAR Primer (google it) that works as a tutorial to introduce you to the system through programmed instruction and exercises. The final exercise is basically “play the battle of Melle”, and all of the other exercises use the Fontenoy map. So, if you’re going to get either the Primer or Fontenoy, they work well with each other :)

Also there’s a new game coming out soon - Mollwitz/Chotusitz, which is two one-map games in one box. Keep an eye out for that.

You’d think I’m a paid shill for Clash of Arms Games but I just love their products :)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Finished up the run through of Apache Thunderbolt Leader without to many fuckups. I need to use a marker next time so I don’t keep forgetting to roll for cover. It is a fiddly game but I enjoyed the time spent and have decided to keep it.

Colonial Twilight rule book is going on a business trip with me this week so I can to read through in the evening. I really need to move closer to some grognards one day.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

For some reason TAL gives you a pretty hard mission as the suggested first one. You need to be quite efficient to carry it out and I have no idea why they made that the first one.

I'm looking all over the city for Colonial Twilight. I'm really keen on that one.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

drat, I think I pissed someone off already in the first PBEM COIN game I joined. But I'm right, dammit!

Related: Does anyone want to play COIN games by email? twinxor at gmail if you are interested.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

someone make generic wooden infantry blocks so i don't have to risk my chits to early wear and tear kthx

alternatively, start making meeple tanks and infantry with stats printed on them.

Play with miniatures instead

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

drat, I think I pissed someone off already in the first PBEM COIN game I joined. But I'm right, dammit!

Related: Does anyone want to play COIN games by email? twinxor at gmail if you are interested.

This sounds like an entertaining story.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

You really shouldn’t skip the details on that...

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's not really that interesting, I was uh a little too assertive when pointing out that hidden Gauls are allowed to retreat in place when attacked by Rome. But it's true!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
just got a notice that my pre-order of Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition has shipped!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

just got a notice that my pre-order of Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition has shipped!

pictured: your new game

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Larry Harris is making a new game with pre-plotted moves, same general theme.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

pictured: your new game

So, Scheldt Campaign, by Brian Train has a combat system where you roll an amount of dice equal to your combat factors. Fives are one hit, Sixes are two hits. The ultimate game for triggering Tekopo. Otherwise great game, with a turn system similar to Bulge 20, where you pre-plan what general things you do the turn beforehand.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's not really that interesting, I was uh a little too assertive when pointing out that hidden Gauls are allowed to retreat in place when attacked by Rome. But it's true!

tbf I completely missed that rule until someone pointed it out here. Falling Sky has a lot of really fiddly wording that's easy to gloss over.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Welp, in Thunderbolt Apache Leader I destroyed one battalion with heavy stress and damage, and the second battalion killed the 3 pilots I sent against it. Mission failed (it's the Surge situation). Guess Saddam's 1991 army was tougher than I give it credit for.

I felt the business of picking aircraft, pilots, and weapons was awfully fiddly. I am guessing that with some more play it will get streamlined a little.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Welp, in Thunderbolt Apache Leader I destroyed one battalion with heavy stress and damage, and the second battalion killed the 3 pilots I sent against it. Mission failed (it's the Surge situation). Guess Saddam's 1991 army was tougher than I give it credit for.

I felt the business of picking aircraft, pilots, and weapons was awfully fiddly. I am guessing that with some more play it will get streamlined a little.

I get a lot of mileage from the aircraft who don't have to move each turn. A hover ability can be super useful in the right spot. I can't think of the names of the bombs but there are several that will attack everything in a hex which is nice if you can deploy enough of them. The modifiers on pilots really help too. I always try to have someone with +1 to the machine gun for when all else fails.

For Surge you really need a friendly Special Condition card and nice rolling. Most things you try need a quick payoff or mopping them up just takes too long. Its also easier with better toys so don't be shy about playing with a 2014 (or whatever is most recent) setup.

I'm with you on the whole loadout phase, some people go nuts for it but I've started just sorting and pretty much randomising. poo poo never goes to plan anyways. Checking the weight limit and SP is still annoying though.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sleekly posted:

I get a lot of mileage from the aircraft who don't have to move each turn. A hover ability can be super useful in the right spot. I can't think of the names of the bombs but there are several that will attack everything in a hex which is nice if you can deploy enough of them. The modifiers on pilots really help too. I always try to have someone with +1 to the machine gun for when all else fails.

For Surge you really need a friendly Special Condition card and nice rolling. Most things you try need a quick payoff or mopping them up just takes too long. Its also easier with better toys so don't be shy about playing with a 2014 (or whatever is most recent) setup.

I'm with you on the whole loadout phase, some people go nuts for it but I've started just sorting and pretty much randomising. poo poo never goes to plan anyways. Checking the weight limit and SP is still annoying though.

I'm watching that video you posted, and it looks like you're allowed to make multiple attacks on one target with an aircraft in one turn? That would have helped somewhat but I still am pretty helpless when the enemy spawns a couple of SAMs.

e: The weapon that attacks everything is the Mk 20 cluster bomb. You can also hover a helicopter in one hex to attack everything there with the cannon, even if the cannon on choppers is pretty crap.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 23, 2017

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

If you had to pick a heavy 3 player game would you choose Triumph and Tragedy or Churchill or something else? I think Tek has acknowledged both those games have flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm watching that video you posted, and it looks like you're allowed to make multiple attacks on one target with an aircraft in one turn? That would have helped somewhat but I still am pretty helpless when the enemy spawns a couple of SAMs.

e: The weapon that attacks everything is the Mk 20 cluster bomb. You can also hover a helicopter in one hex to attack everything there with the cannon, even if the cannon on choppers is pretty crap.

SAMs are nasty. And the infantry that can popup must all have stingers on them or something. As I understand it you can make one attack, but in that attack you can eclare all targets and must commit all ordnance up front.

The idea being you can buzz into a hex and shoot off a couple of sidewinders at a target/s then followup with one of those nice MK20s and move out en route to the next target, hopefully leaving a lot of burning wreckage behind you. Catch is that the ordnance you declared is considered spent even if you get lucky and make a kill before everything has been fired off (you still roll to keep the bomb if its one of those).

Also warthog lyfe :D