Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Jo3sh posted:

Aberlour A'Bunadh

It's like Christmas cake. Deep fruit and spices, soaked in sherry.

Last night I went out with a buddy to my favorite whiskey bar in Baltimore - Birds of a Feather - and bought this because your comment stuck in my mind as something I should remember. It's like toffee, caramel, spice, and booze soaked pannetone. Probably the sweetest scotch I've ever had. The aroma is absolutely lovely and two people to my immediate left commented on it when the dram was poured. Really delightful, but definitely a sipper. I don't know if I'd buy a bottle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Last night I went out with a buddy to my favorite whiskey bar in Baltimore - Birds of a Feather - and bought this because your comment stuck in my mind as something I should remember. It's like toffee, caramel, spice, and booze soaked pannetone. Probably the sweetest scotch I've ever had. The aroma is absolutely lovely and two people to my immediate left commented on it when the dram was poured. Really delightful, but definitely a sipper. I don't know if I'd buy a bottle though.

Do buy a bottle, I have one and it's totally worth it. Especially with a drop of water to dilute and open it up.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Yeah, it's a cask strength bottling, so it can be as high as 60% alcohol. A little water definitely doesn't hurt it.

Just looked in my cupboard - mine is batch 52, at 60.5% abv.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 11, 2017

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

So mad at myself for waiting so long to try Rittenhouse. It's absolutely delicious... and such a gorgeous color.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

So my uncle who works for Nintendo sent me this 2015 Limited Edition Yamazaki. Didn't think anything of it, thought it was more of that cheap NAS stuff
Turns out they go for 4-500 bucks???

Anyways, it's nice. Smooth and complex.
Not worth 500 bucks, but nice.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Japanse whisky is hella overpriced and I hope that bubble pops soon.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

spankmeister posted:

Not quite yet please. I've been out of work since June and I'm surviving by auctioning off various bottles. A Karuizawa that cost me £150 went for nearly £1000 a few weeks ago.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

biglads posted:

Not quite yet please. I've been out of work since June and I'm surviving by auctioning off various bottles. A Karuizawa that cost me £150 went for nearly £1000 a few weeks ago.

Good luck in the job search! I'm sure we're all rooting for you, but I admire your whiskey savvy. I bought a bottle of JW Blue from a friend who is out of work for $150 last week so he could take some money without feeling like charity. Then I made him sit on his couch w/me and drink the whole bottle. It was decent whiskey (that wasn't even worth the price I paid 😎) but he was stressed because he has a baby on the way in about 5 months and his wife brought me a cherry pie not for the money (she didn't know) but for comforting her husband. Win all around!

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I got a bunch of money recently as well as a promotion so I'll buy this immediately. What else is good for fans of Highland Park, Macallan and other sweet/sherry flavored scotch? I remember liking the Glenmorangie different barrel series a few years back but they seem to have gone up in price so I want something new. Is Highland Park 15 or 18 worth the premium compared to the 12?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

krustster posted:

I got a bunch of money recently as well as a promotion so I'll buy this immediately. What else is good for fans of Highland Park, Macallan and other sweet/sherry flavored scotch? I remember liking the Glenmorangie different barrel series a few years back but they seem to have gone up in price so I want something new. Is Highland Park 15 or 18 worth the premium compared to the 12?

Glenfarclas 17 comes to mind, or French oak Glenlivet 15, if it still exists.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

krustster posted:

Definitely GlenDronach 15yo

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Definitely GlenDronach 15yo

That has been discontinued for 18 months or so and is very hard to get hold of. There are still stocks of the 18 and 21 around and the single cask releases are (were?) reasonably priced.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh, welp.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/latest-news/16384/port-ellen-and-brora-to-reopen/

So Diageo are going to re-open Brora & Port Ellen. Brora was pretty much all in-situ when I was there are couple of years ago. Port Ellen had all the buildings there but no 'kit' and was all taken over for the maltings and warehousing Lagavulin.

Plenty hugely hyped and expensive NAS from there by 2025.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

I'm doing some cleaning today and decided I need to drink more, still have 4 of these bottles left from my first post in this thread.

Abelour is batch 41 and 59%.
Whistlepig is bottled for Total Wine & More barrel 8 at 117 proof.
Bookers is batch C07-A-12 at 65.3%/130.6 proof.
Blantons is bottle 195 from barrel 131 at 93 proof.

Not pictured, half a bottle of Glenfarclas 105 I had to put in a decanter because the cork broke in half.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

spankmeister posted:

In addition to that, I swear there's something in it that just doesn't agree with me. I can (and do) enjoy every other kind of whisky, but something about Japanese whisky is just completely unenjoyable every time I try it -- I've tried a bunch of different versions, too, and they've all done me straight in. Is there something unique to Japanese whisky that could explain that?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

In addition to that, I swear there's something in it that just doesn't agree with me. I can (and do) enjoy every other kind of whisky, but something about Japanese whisky is just completely unenjoyable every time I try it -- I've tried a bunch of different versions, too, and they've all done me straight in. Is there something unique to Japanese whisky that could explain that?

No. Typically they even use grain imported from Scotland, ex-bourbon barrels, and the same techniques and equipment as Scotch. Be thankful you happen not to like it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vox Nihili posted:

No. Typically they even use grain imported from Scotland, ex-bourbon barrels, and the same techniques and equipment as Scotch. Be thankful you happen not to like it.

I guess. It just feels like I'm missing something, since I keep hearing such good things about it.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

It's aged closer to the Pacific ocean instead of the Atlantic? Try Kavalan and see if it does the same thing to you.
But yes basically everything used to make it, besides the water, is imported. I'd challenge you to pick out a Japanese whisky a blind test though. Perhaps you're just a racist, as your custom title implies.
Someone finally made a Japanese whisky using Japanese grain, and they're shooting for release next year.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 14, 2017

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I had some Yamazaki 12 a while back and it was fine. It just tasted like regular scotch comparable to Glenlivet or whatever. I'm sure part of its cachet is that it's more obscure and exotic compared to the other stuff.

Also sometime over the past year I seem to have lost my taste for bourbon and replaced it with a thirst for rum. I recommend this to all because you can get some world class stuff for not a lot of money, comparatively.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

zmcnulty posted:

It's aged closer to the Pacific ocean instead of the Atlantic? Try Kavalan and see if it does the same thing to you.
But yes basically everything used to make it, besides the water, is imported. I'd challenge you to pick out a Japanese whisky a blind test though. Perhaps you're just a racist, as your custom title implies.
Someone finally made a Japanese whisky using Japanese grain, and they're shooting for release next year.

I don't think it's the water or racism, because I love sake. Maybe it's just a coincidence -- I've tried 4 or 5 examples, which isn't a lot, so it's not out of the question that they could have just been whiskies that I didn't enjoy. I don't want to give up on it entirely, but on the other hand, money and drinking time are limited. I'm glad that I pushed through my initial dislike of sherry and bourbon, which I now very much enjoy, but I'm just not sure if it's worth trying with Japanese whisky given my past reactions.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Hullo goons,

I absolutely love Lagavulin 16. It is a fantastic Scotch. It is a peat-y beast so I know it wont stand with most non-scotch drinkers. I'm looking for something that would be approachable but great tasting for casual to non Scotch drinkers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

At some point, for a special occasion, I was thinking of having a pour of Macallan 30. Of course, that's going to run me $400 after tip.

Is it life changing experience or just overpriced mediocrity like Johnny Walker Blue?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

TopHatGenius posted:

Hullo goons,

I absolutely love Lagavulin 16. It is a fantastic Scotch. It is a peat-y beast so I know it wont stand with most non-scotch drinkers. I'm looking for something that would be approachable but great tasting for casual to non Scotch drinkers.

I'd suggest a Balvenie. Pretty much all of their stuff is incredibly smooth and easy to drink. Keep away from the recent peated expressions though. Try a 12 y/o Doublewood.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

zmcnulty posted:

Would any US goons be willing to trade a bottle of Suntory Toki for something of equivalent value from here in Japan? Maybe Chita? Suntory doesn't sell Toki in Japan, but they don't sell Chita outside of Japan.

Edit: Chita won't blow you away, if there's something else you have in mind in the 3000-5000 yen range that's fine too

Any other recommendations? (Check my next post). I would be willing to do a swap, mainly because I have a extra Toki in the cabinet right now.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm looking for recommendations for other Japanese Whisky. I've been luck enough to find a few local stores that keep a good selection in stock, but I'm looking to expand a bit from here. Only enough my favorite still is Hibiki.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Does anyone know of any good high end whiskey pages for buying/selling? I'm looking to get my hands on some stuff but Craigslist seems too sketchy

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

TopHatGenius posted:

Hullo goons,

Any Speyside (like the balvenie) is pretty tame intro for first time scotch drinkers.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jerome Louis posted:

Does anyone know of any good high end whiskey pages for buying/selling? I'm looking to get my hands on some stuff but Craigslist seems too sketchy

The bourbon secondary market Facebook group is extremely active, and allegedly swarming with counterfeiters!

I've used Craigslist to arrange local trades or sales in the past, it's no shadier than any other black market transaction. Which is to say, it's going to be shady no matter which avenue you choose.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be using Craigslist to trade down a Pappy 23 for a number of "lesser" bottles in a few months, or alternatively I'll be robbed of an allegedly $1,800 possession and left to bleed out in a parking lot.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 20, 2017

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

The bourbon secondary market Facebook group is extremely active, and allegedly swarming with counterfeiters!

I've used Craigslist to arrange local trades or sales in the past, it's no shadier than any other black market transaction. Which is to say, it's going to be shady no matter which avenue you choose.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be using Craigslist to trade down a Pappy 23 for a number of "lesser" bottles in a few months, or alternatively I'll be robbed of an allegedly $1,800 possession and left to bleed out in a parking lot.

Ok got it.. makes sense. I also plan on trading down a Pappy 20 and a George T. Stagg in the next few months but wasn't sure where to do all of this

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I went nuts and bought the Aberlour A'bunadh and it is pretty weird and good. I love that it's cask strength, as that forces you to take your time with it and whatnot. Such a wide variety of different flavors. I always love crazy high proof stuff like Bookers, Thomas H Handy Sazerac and green Chartreuse (yeah yeah whatever) because they seem to have so much going on so I'm open to other suggestions in that realm as long as it's not overly smoky "burnt rubber and markers" type stuff like Lagavulin. One though that I didn't care for was Elijah Craig barrel proof, even though I absolutely love the original it was just too hot for me to enjoy. Felt like my throat was closing up on each sip.

Also I'm finally revisiting Talisker, the very first high quality liquor that started me down my path to financial ruin more than 10 years ago, and it's actually a lot more intense than I remember. I guess I've been doing beer and rum and tequila and sherry cask stuff for so long that it was kind of a shock. But that sharp, briny/oceanic flavor is really something else. It's close to the edge of being too much, but it's balanced just enough that you get the full effect of the peat without it being gross or overwhelming. Threading that needle,,,,,,

Jerome Louis posted:

Ok got it.. makes sense. I also plan on trading down a Pappy 20 and a George T. Stagg in the next few months but wasn't sure where to do all of this

I'll give you some hazy IPAs for the Stagg

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Reminder that there's ridiculous amounts of Stagg available this year.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

kidsafe posted:

Reminder that there's ridiculous amounts of Stagg available this year.

I'm pretty sure I saw a bunch of it at costco last week. Is it worth picking up? I usually get russell reserve

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Thanks for the heads up. Does Costco have Stagg Jr or George T Stagg?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Symetrique posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Does Costco have Stagg Jr or George T Stagg?

I honestly can't remember. I've never seen either at Costco before but I'll double check today

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
That was probably Stagg Jr. If it’s in a squat bottle, it’s Stagg Jr. If it’s in a tall bottle it’s George T. Stagg.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

the spyder posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for other Japanese Whisky. I've been luck enough to find a few local stores that keep a good selection in stock, but I'm looking to expand a bit from here. Only enough my favorite still is Hibiki.

Nikka Coffee Grain

NAS Yamazaki Distillers Reserve

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

kidsafe posted:

That was probably Stagg Jr. If it’s in a squat bottle, it’s Stagg Jr. If it’s in a tall bottle it’s George T. Stagg.

It was in fact stagg jr. I've never seen it here before and I guess I wasn't paying much attention

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mandalay posted:

Nikka Coffee Grain

I thought this one was absolutely horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Just broke the seal on a several years old bottle of Green Label purchased around the time they announced it was going to be discontinued. Tasted really mild compared to what I remember, so I went out and bought a more recent bottling. The more recent bottling is closer to what I remember, but still a little too Speyside and not the earthy/dank whisky I remember.