Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Milky Moor posted:

The animatronic Wc3/4-era Kilrathi weren't really flaws, though? They're like a meme flaw. The kind of thing everyone goes 'haha that's bad' but they were good at the time, and certainly better than the movie-era Kilrathi that came afterward. Unsurprisingly, if that's the flaw Ben points to, then he's not actually capable of looking at WC's flaws with a realistic, critical eye.

I seem to remember those puppets as being fine at the time.

I also want to say I remember a very steep downward curve in their appearance in the Prophecy game.

And of course in the movie, they were the worst of them all.

I think the further Chris Roberts had to stray from Larry Niven and the art for his books, Roberts’ “vision” only got worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/mIe6R4g.gifv

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

The NMS people are going to feel like real chumps when they realize that they secret to success was only having a single planet with nothing on it.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMtShnoOvck

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

KM Scorchio posted:

I can’t decide what’s worse, Derek or Star Citizen

Luckily it's possible for 2 things to be equally retarded.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Clip into the floor and get launched back into space without my ship

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Virtual Captain posted:

Sounds likely to me. Could also explain why magnetic boots were working in 2014, then mysteriously stopped working ever since. I don't have a strong grasp on the "gravity zones" timeline but I remember it was a technical hurdle that any backer will tell you was solved a long time ago.

If the short term fake-it-for-now solution was to make each gravity object (station, ships, bennyhenge, etc) a floating 2d plane; it may have displaced the more complex logic that controlled anchoring a player to an arbitrary surface. A year or two passes and now it's too difficult to take out the short term solution because every ship seemingly takes months to implement thanks to whatever horrible manual process they have.

This is a good example of the CIG MO.

1: We have a problem
2: We sort of identity the problem, somebody explains how easy it is to fix and how they break new ground
3: Problem does not get solved
4: Nobody talks about the problem again
5: Somebody talks about another problem based off of solving the first problem as if they solved it
6: Goto 1

The whole step 5 part is what kills me. And people seem to think it’s completely solved because CIG acts like it is.

Like this weird ongoing struggle with doors. loving doors, man.

Or this constant talk of an MMO when they can’t even get 16 people in a stable environment; and those 16 people aren’t even near each other. There’s no loving MMO in sight.

But CIG pretends like there is, or perhaps I should say lies like there is. They sell ships that require more players than the game can support.

Now they have “base building” but there’s not even housing for people like community apartments. There’s the hangar “module”, and that’s been promised as being something your friends can visit you in since like 2012.

Some day, backers may realize they’re being blatantly loving lied to. Constantly. CIG can sell anything but they can build nothing into your game. They don’t even have basic flight dynamics working well and the game is supposed to be about loving space ships.

Remember a long time ago when Star Citizen was a space game about flying a ship in space? With your pet and a highly customizable space ship?

Remember that?

That was of course before they realized they couldn’t code anything that works. Like I said in my July blog 200 years ago, once CIG came to terms that the best they can hope for now is a very pretty, indie studio grade gameplay, version of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare everything is focusing on how much junk they can fill an FPS game in a FPS CryEngine level now. Space is just a janky module attached to it as a method of traveling between different FPS maps.

Funny enough, back when there was a “race to release first”, Star Citizen naturally failed, and CoD:IW has been out nearly a year now in another month. I’m sure SC it right around the corner now though, especially since it’s got a jank filled, early access poo poo, alpha release of 3.0 with virtually nothing 3.0 was supposed to have.

Any day now.

Any loving day. :golfclap:

For proof of how far along CIG is in development, ask anybody on their forums or reddit sub how trading, LTI, ship repairs, or character death is going to be handled. These are some of basic loving foundations they’ve been selling since day zero, and nobody has a clue. Yeah, it’s almost done though!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The Titanic posted:

2: We sort of identity the problem, somebody explains how easy it is to fix and how they break new ground
5: Somebody talks about another problem based off of solving the first problem as if they solved it

The whole step 5 part is what kills me. And people seem to think it’s completely solved because CIG acts like it is.

Or this constant talk of an MMO when they can’t even get 16 people in a stable environment; and those 16 people aren’t even near each other. There’s no loving MMO in sight.

But CIG pretends like there is, or perhaps I should say lies like there is. They sell ships that require more players than the game can support.

Now they have “base building” but there’s not even housing for people like community apartments. There’s the hangar “module”, and that’s been promised as being something your friends can visit you in since like 2012.

Some day, backers may realize they’re being blatantly loving lied to. Constantly. CIG can sell anything but they can build nothing into your game. They don’t even have basic flight dynamics working well and the game is supposed to be about loving space ships.

Remember a long time ago when Star Citizen was a space game about flying a ship in space? With your pet and a highly customizable space ship?

Remember that?

That was of course before they realized they couldn’t code anything that works. Like I said in my July blog 200 years ago, once CIG came to terms that the best they can hope for now is a very pretty, indie studio grade gameplay, version of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare everything is focusing on how much junk they can fill an FPS game in a FPS CryEngine level now. Space is just a janky module attached to it as a method of traveling between different FPS maps.

Funny enough, back when there was a “race to release first”, Star Citizen naturally failed, and CoD:IW has been out nearly a year now in another month. I’m sure SC it right around the corner now though, especially since it’s got a jank filled, early access poo poo, alpha release of 3.0 with virtually nothing 3.0 was supposed to have.

Any day now.

For proof of how far along CIG is in development, ask anybody on their forums or reddit sub how trading, LTI, ship repairs, or character death is going to be handled. These are some of basic loving foundations they’ve been selling since day zero, and nobody has a clue. Yeah, it’s almost done though!

3.1 will fix everything, my friend, just you wait

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

illectro posted:

Paying for my own flight and hotel, but, I factored in that I was able to get a tour of SpaceX and JPL so it's worth it.

I'm actually on 2 different panels, tomorrow at 2:30 I'm talking about science and games.

I know you hear this a lot, but you’re awesome and I’ve always loved what you do. You’re one of those guys who I’m glad is successful in the YouTube community and I hope for more people like you.

:glomp:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/921792277558722563

quote:

3.00.13] | 17-10-XX

- Minor improvements

Note: This build will replace your existing UCCONFIG.INI file with a new one with default settings.

- Added support for new resolutions: 2560×1440 (QHD, WQHD, Quad HD, 1440p) and 3840×2160 (UHD, Ultra HD, 4K, 2160p) More info

- CC power now checked before accessing TACTICAL, PERSCAN, & TACOPS computers from bridge command menu. NOTE: Logistix is special case. See explanation in known issues

Audio revisions:

* Changed NPC gun sounds playback to ON|OFF setting in CONFIG.
* Minor revisions to personnel & MOTHER audio feedback
* NPC weapons fire and explosions will no longer play for regions player is not in. e.g. if you leave a battle in Earth space region, and go to the planet, you will no longer hear weapon and explosion sounds from the space battle

- In TACOPS using ENTER key to toggle 3D object rendering is now only enabled in cheat mode

- Updated in-game docs. Also added new cheat commands. Locate and run the UCCE30_steam_shortcuts.exe file in your install folder to update stand-alone PDF files.

- FIXED: Some UI anomalies in assets (e.g. Engstrom carrier) with more than 8 support craft. See explanation in known issues

- FIXED: CC was able to dock with a planetside MFB

:allears:

This was a bitch to find. I had to call my friend over at CIG, seeing as they have great planetary tech :grin:

quote:

- When switching the focus location to a different one from where your ship currently is (e.g. CC in space observing a planet using TACOPS), the solar reactor stops producing power until you return the focus to your ship’s area.

This happens because the CC is located in space where the solar energy is collected. Remote viewing a planetary region involves moving the current solar vector position there. And it could be different from the position of the Sun due to how the TOD works on surface locations. And since the solar energy is not stored in a battery, it is lost when that vector location is changed from space to planet via remote viewing. It works normally when remote viewing space regions because the vector remains unchanged in space.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 21, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Daztek posted:

3.1 will fix everything, my friend, just you wait

What I'm trying to say is, the fix is in

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

The only way to fix SC is to do the following:

Open Notepad

Type "Derek Smart was RIGHT"
ctrl+a
ctrl+c

Open the code

ctrl+a
press delete
ctrl+v

save

You're welcome, Chris.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Xaerael posted:

The only way to fix SC is to do the following:

Open Notepad

Type "Derek Smart was RIGHT"
ctrl+a
ctrl+c

Open the code

ctrl+a
press delete
ctrl+v

save

You're welcome, Chris.

I tried that. But it didn't compile. So I had to add the header files

#include "bullshit.hpp"
#include "dreams.hpp"
#include "handwaves.hpp"

#ifdef IS_30
#include "planet_tech.hpp"
#endif

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Virtual Captain posted:

Yeah true.

2012:

2013:

31,000 and 21,000, isn't that like about 10% of the number of backers at the time?

Edit: a later post informed me it was some 5% of backers.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

#include <cryengine.hpp>

double enableJesusPatch = ( IsITTime >= '2042.4242' && *isItTime <= 'fidelity' ) ? ( IsITTime - 44 ) : NotYet;
if (enableJesusPatch <= 2000)
{
fixAllBugs();
}
else
paarp();

should work

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

10 PRINT "Derek Smart WAS RIGHT ";
20 GOTO 10
RUN

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

biglads posted:

10 PRINT "Derek Smart WAS RIGHT ";
20 GOTO 10
RUN

https://i.imgur.com/Q9yv8YH.gifv

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

AutismVaccine posted:

Dont want the spotlight.

Also, CIG posted the wrong chartversion. The corrected one draws a dire future for 3.0

I think this one's more realistic:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I feel like Derek killed my joke. :(

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Xaerael posted:

I feel like Derek killed my joke. :(

Future Chris Roberts quote.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Scruffpuff posted:

Future Chris Roberts quote.

I don't think Chris can blame his marriage on Derek.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Crash to desktop, most likely.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

synthetik posted:

You have never worked in healthcare or with M/Mumps/Cache or you wouldn't make this joke.

You are correct, because I am only a super entry level-programmer who knows very little about even the one language I have experimented in.

Some basic best practices yelled into me by someone who was once an ASIO programmer lead me to believe that these are things that shouldn't be done though, save for specific use cases that are usually few and far between.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was funny, on this, a comedy forum :(

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

McGiggins posted:

I thought it was funny, on this, a comedy forum :(

you obviously don't understand healthcare development :colbert:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Very clearly indeed.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, I would hazard a guess that the severely important nature of medical programming requires redundancy and code that a 5 year old could read written in essentially long-form English so anyone looking at it and having to work on it knows exactly what the gently caress it does and exactly how the gently caress it does it?

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

McGiggins posted:

I mean, I would hazard a guess that the severely important nature of medical programming requires redundancy and code that a 5 year old could read written in essentially long-form English so anyone looking at it and having to work on it knows exactly what the gently caress it does and exactly how the gently caress it does it?

Hahaha

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Check out the coding horrors thread, they have such sights to show you

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

McGiggins posted:

:laffo:

I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, but if you've ever been to the doctor or had your blood drawn at any time in the US, your private healthcare details are being stored in a database that only has the string datatype.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
No to either of those, but holy poo poo. Also, going to look for the coding horrors thread now.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
How else are you supposed to store numbers that start with XO or have 2 decimal points?

Healthcare coding sucks.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Incitatus posted:

Why doesn't the government just print more money to pay the national debt?

The debt is held by the paper mill, and the government is not getting another sheaf until it pays up.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 22, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Tippis posted:

The dept is held by the paper mill, and the government is not getting another sheaf until it pays up.

The secret origin of the US using cloth, not paper, for its money... revealed!

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
is the game out?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Remember that?

Any day now.

This is the good poo poo :five:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

serious norman posted:

is the game out?

Hang on, let me check.......................

No.

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

Dooguk posted:

Hang on, let me check.......................

No.

Tane.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Was that space COD any good? (that is, was it just another COD?)

Seems like no-one really talked about it much after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sillybones posted:

Was that space COD any good? (that is, was it just another COD?)

Seems like no-one really talked about it much after the fact.

The campaign was really fun! I liked it a lot as a here’s all the horrible ways you can die in space slideshow shooter.