Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

lightpole posted:

Besides, as a civilian, the military is accountable to me, not the other way around, the troops should be thanking me for paying my taxes.

But sometimes those taxes and votes are used to send the military to dumbass wars.

Civilians, stop sending the military into lovely wars tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

But sometimes those taxes and votes are used to send the military to dumbass wars.

You can't be the dominant alpha unless you beat the poo poo out of someone once in a while. Civilians show their dominance by paying tax dollars for troops to get the poo poo beat out of them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

lightpole posted:

What does the national anthem have to do with the military I don't get it.

Besides, as a civilian, the military is accountable to me, not the other way around, the troops should be thanking me for paying my taxes.

Thank you for your taxpaying.

Gonna blow my paycheck on single mothers on the pole now.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lightpole posted:

What does the national anthem have to do with the military I don't get it.

Thank you for subsidizing my tinnitus you tremendous rear end in a top hat.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
Trump is loving fantastic. Not just in the I don't live in the US level fantastic, but 11 dimensional chess fantastic.

The poo poo he comes up with is not aimed at us. His rhetoric is aimed directly at the people it needs to be aimed at, we are not its audience. The scary thing is it is effective, I hope beyond hope someone really smart and charismatic does not step into his shoes and runs an 8 year agenda using his tactics.

E: I could run a sandy vagina effort post on this, but I don't think I need to here.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 21, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

mlmp08 posted:

please help me balance this my country is dying

"Spend less on wars."

no

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stultus Maximus posted:

The national anthem is a pretty lousy song, tbqh.

Yeah. JJ Abrams should totally spice it up a bit.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Also, real talk, if they would promise me that I would serve the length of my recall deployed and actually doing ill war poo poo, not dumb rear end Army gently caress gently caress bullshit, I'd go. Give me a good position, a 240 with ammo stockpiled at my position, I'll loving mow down Norks like it's vintage Korea.

Who cares if they are surrendering, they were coming right for me.

its loving october we're gonna end up invading in the middle of winter

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
With that executive order poo poo letting them call you all up, what's to stop you smoking a crack rock immediately prior to in processing and spidering around the joint to prevent you being declared fit?

Genuine question.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah. JJ Abrams should totally spice it up a bit.

Yeah we should get a cool one like Canada:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByKu8BwT5K4

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

its loving october we're gonna end up invading in the middle of winter

And Korea gets REALLY COLD in the winter too. Up in the training grounds it was way below zero.

laffo if you're still in

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Russia's national anthem is on point.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Spacman posted:

With that executive order poo poo letting them call you all up, what's to stop you smoking a crack rock immediately prior to in processing and spidering around the joint to prevent you being declared fit?

Genuine question.

They'd probably pull your retirement benefits, or atleast try to

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Kawasaki Nun posted:

They'd probably pull your retirement benefits, or atleast try to

I get that, but they don't have a leg to stand on as it isn't codified from my reading of the amendment.

So just yell at you while you laugh at them?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

LingcodKilla posted:

Thank you for your taxpaying.

Gonna blow my paycheck on single mothers on the pole now.

This makes me happy considering where my tax dollars could be going.

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Thank you for subsidizing my tinnitus you tremendous rear end in a top hat.

Join the club.

Inability to say anything bad about the military and say maybe they aren't the greatest at everything and maybe we shouldn't just dump more money into our troops has led us here and noone in the civilian world wants to talk about it as they will just get shouted down.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Spacman posted:

I get that, but they don't have a leg to stand on as it isn't codified from my reading of the amendment.

It's pilots in the crosshairs, which is kind of tricky - many of them are airline pilots, so they can't jackass it up in any way that might endanger their FAA flight physical. So drugs, etc. are out, as are real or professed mental disorders. You could maybe say that you've become a conscientious objector in your retirement? That has some really weird ramifications though, I knew someone who got out as a CO and they got jerked around for years before the military let them out.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
A quick Google search says you can only be stripped of retirement benefits if you're convicted of a national security violation under the Hiss Act.

I mean, I'm sure they'll try, but saying a retiree shouldn't have done enough drugs to melt the urinalysis cup because they should have known they were going to be drafted is probably a stretch.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I can't find it but there's an edit of this where sarge says "You know we died at Chosin, right?"

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Prop Wash posted:

It's pilots in the crosshairs, which is kind of tricky - many of them are airline pilots, so they can't jackass it up in any way that might endanger their FAA flight physical. So drugs, etc. are out, as are real or professed mental disorders. You could maybe say that you've become a conscientious objector in your retirement? That has some really weird ramifications though, I knew someone who got out as a CO and they got jerked around for years before the military let them out.

Ahh cool,

So you are now a member of the society of friends. I'm a Quaker like Nixon seems a good response to me!!!

Additionally, I'm a chopper pilot and gently caress me if I wouldn't piss hot and chill out on my pension if the fuckers tried to call me up again.

E: gently caress the Army, I paid in various levels of general fuckery and years of service to earn my freedom after them training me to fly death machines.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 21, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Spacman posted:

Once your recalled, you're on AD and the UCMJ applies. Art. 92, 112a, 115, 134. Punitive retention, less pay, less rank. Or suspend the punitive discharge and dangle the carrot of keeping your retirement based on your good behavior.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

McNally posted:

A quick Google search says you can only be stripped of retirement benefits if you're convicted of a national security violation under the Hiss Act.

I mean, I'm sure they'll try, but saying a retiree shouldn't have done enough drugs to melt the urinalysis cup because they should have known they were going to be drafted is probably a stretch.

This is the USAF we're talking about. They are absolutely willing to drop the hammer out of spite.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

joat mon posted:

Once your recalled, you're on AD and the UCMJ applies. Art. 92, 112a, 115, 134. Punitive retention, less pay, less rank. Or suspend the punitive discharge and dangle the carrot of keeping your retirement based on your good behavior.

There is no way that poo poo flys in a court. You have done your ROSO, and now have the rights normal people have again, no way the CinC can abrogate those rights without your consent.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Spacman posted:

There is no way that poo poo flys in a court. You have done your ROSO, and now have the rights normal people have again, no way the CinC can abrogate those rights without your consent.

False. Retirees are legally subject to recall for life, though DOD policy is that it shouldn't happen over 60 or after 5+ years. Shouldn't. Not won't.

Edit:

10 U.S. Code § 688 - Retired members: authority to order to active duty; duties posted:

(a)Authority.—
Under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Defense, a member described in subsection (b) may be ordered to active duty by the Secretary of the military department concerned at any time.
(b)Covered Members.—Except as provided in subsection (d), subsection (a) applies to the following members of the armed forces:
(1) A retired member of the Regular Army, Regular Navy, Regular Air Force, or RegularMarine Corps.
(2) A member of the Retired Reserve who was retired under section 1293, 3911, 3914, 6323, 8911, or 8914 of this title.
(3) A member of the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve.

DoD Directive 1352.1, Management and Mobilization of Regular and Reserve Retired Military Members posted:

(presented in order of callup)
E1.1.3. Military Retiree Categories

E1.1.3.1. Category I. Non-disability military retirees under age 60 who have been retired less than 5 years.

E1.1.3.2. Category II. Non-disability military retirees under age 60 who have retired 5 years or more.

E1.1.3.3. Category III. Military retirees, including those retired for disability, other than categories I or II retirees (includes warrant officers and healthcare professionals who retire from active duty after age 60).

Cat 3 can be recalled but..."The nature and extent of the mobilization of category III retirees shall be determined by each Military Service, based on the retiree's military skill and, if applicable, the nature and degree of the retiree's disability. Category III retirees generally should be assigned to civilian jobs, unless they have critical skills or volunteer for specific military jobs. Age or disability alone may not be the sole basis for excluding a retiree from active military service during mobilization."

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 21, 2017

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
they should recall them and make them fly drones.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Godholio posted:

False. Retirees are legally subject to recall for life, though DOD policy is that it shouldn't happen over 60 or after 5+ years. Shouldn't. Not won't.

No poo poo, why would you sign that?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Because it's buried in a stack of retirement paperwork and you're just thinking about the pension.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

McNally posted:

I think this is just for state and federal convictions, not court martial convictions. It may also only apply to federal, not military retirement pay.

However, a conviction for

quote:

Whoever, with intent to interfere with, impair, or influence the loyalty, morale, or discipline of the military or naval forces of the United States:
advises, counsels, urges, or in any manner causes or attempts to cause insubordination, disloyalty, mutiny, or refusal of duty by any member of the military or naval forces of the United States; 
is one of the crimes that would cause you to lose your retirement anyway.

E: pretty sure the "can't take retirement away except for spying/disloyalty etc. is federal civilian retirement only. 5 usc 8312.

Military retirement can be taken away by a punitive discharge. 10 usc 12740.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 21, 2017

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Godholio posted:

Because it's buried in a stack of retirement paperwork and you're just thinking about the pension.

I am so sorry. Y'all gunna die on some lovely mountain in the DRPK with no name because of that. I'll hoist an apple juice for ya.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Its not like they're going to just bust into ATL or ORD and start shanghai'ing pilots though right?

Wait. Nevermind.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
You know some hack writer is working on "M*A*S*H: The Next Generation" right now.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

And Korea gets REALLY COLD in the winter too. Up in the training grounds it was way below zero.

laffo if you're still in

It's a bitch because the rainy season ends just before winter starts, so the ground is basically mud that has frozen rock solid.

It drat near killed my grandfather, and he grew up on a South Dakota dirt farm where it got 20 below zero during the winter. He thought he knew cold, then he spent Christmas of '51 in the mountains south of the DMZ.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

joat mon posted:

I think this is just for state and federal convictions, not court martial convictions. It may also only apply to federal, not military retirement pay.

However, a conviction for

is one of the crimes that would cause you to lose your retirement anyway.

Well, a court martial conviction tends to suggest you're not yet retired. I know they'll call up retirees to court martial them, but failing that, my (little) research suggests that a retiree can only lose benefits if convicted under the Hiss Act.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

LongDarkNight posted:

You know some hack writer is working on "M*A*S*H: The Next Generation" right now.

I have MASH on DVD and you can watch it without the laugh track.... Depressing as all gently caress, changes the whole show.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LongDarkNight posted:

Besides AfterMASH, Trapper John MD, and W.A.L.T.E.R.?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

McNally posted:

Well, a court martial conviction tends to suggest you're not yet retired. I know they'll call up retirees to court martial them, but failing that, my (little) research suggests that a retiree can only lose benefits if convicted under the Hiss Act.

Hiss Act applies only to civilian federal employees. It's in title 5 (fed employees) of the U.S. Code, not Title 10 (armed forces)
A punitive discharge makes you ineligible for retired pay.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

joat mon posted:

Hiss Act applies only to civilian federal employees. It's in title 5 (fed employees) of the U.S. Code, not Title 10 (armed forces)
A punitive discharge makes you ineligible for retired pay.

My Google Fu is weak.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Spacman posted:

I have MASH on DVD and you can watch it without the laugh track.... Depressing as all gently caress, changes the whole show.

I mean, there's a reason the theme song is suicide is painless. The show was depressing as gently caress. The laugh track just added a bit of levity to the story of the vietnam war based in korea.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
Yeah, but like the cock sucker major is actively sabotaging the efforts of the burned out doctors to help a kid with his guts hanging out because he is asian while the kid with the gimp hand (radar?) is dodging the powers that be and they are all drinking moonshine because their hands shake if they don't .

Better with the laugh track.

Kinda peak Army I guess

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Who likes Harvey Weinstein news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cXp8q2BoII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Jesus, listening to that made my skin crawl

The wheedling, the apologies, the pressure... it'd come off as creepily pathetic if it weren't for the fact that he's a big shot; because that gives the vague threats & intensely trying to separate a person from the rest of the herd at all costs come off as super sinister and dangerous.

• Locked thread