Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

If there were only turrets Receiver would still be difficult and tense but it'd be ultimately manageable even at the heavy counts you ran into. But yeah gently caress drones in their ear, the only answer to them is hallways and even then you get one chance to tag them before they zoom straight into you if they've followed you in.

Unexplored gets talked up a lot for its complicated random dungeon generator so it should be interesting to see how that plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

OP's choice

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Your summary of Receiver at the end seemed pretty on point. But then if it was made in a week for a game jam I can see why it wouldn't necessarily have much polish in it to make it fun.

Noir Syndrome seems like an idea that can't possibly work in a roguelite so I want to see how well it fails.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Noir Syndrome because I desperately want it to not suck.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
After that shitshow, the only reasonable course is to get WASTED.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

Noir Syndrome because I desperately want it to not suck.

I'm sorry but the random gen in that game is on the opposite end of the random gen complexity spectrum from Unexplored.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Unexplored seems promising.

Our own 7c Nickel did a full run of Receiver a while back and I wanted to hear what you thought about it. Guess I know now!

Galaxy-brained gun operation seemed like an interesting analogue to the kind of galaxy-brained stat and strategy optimization you'd need to get through other roguelikes.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Noir Syndrome

Dunno... Seems interesting.

NHO fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 24, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Unexplored, maybe I can stop being bad at it.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

My vote is to get

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I can't not vote for something named Noir Syndrome.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Party Bug posted:

Receiver

small brain: reloading a gun
big brain: reloading a gun in a video game
cosmos brain: reloading a gun in a video game by trying to chamber a round that isn't there before realizing you have to press E to eject a clip, then press tilde to put the gun away, then press Z 10 times to load the bullets, then press tilde again to equip the gun, then press Z to slide in the magazine, then V to turn off the safety, and then R to chamber a round, and then be killed by a drone because the loving thing jams anyway.

I just love how in the week you played this, you organically learned a bit about how to properly clear rooms from failing over and over :v:

Also, you may be a Gun Master now, but do you have the cannonballs that it takes to become a Gun God and reach the Nuclear Throne

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Noir Syndrome

The forum sleeps, but I never do. They call me Private Investigator Bug. I've been in this game for years, spent my life on this LP merry-go-round watching the same crimes play out year after year, like a jukebox with only one, sad song. The things I've seen keep me up at night. I've watched a million dark souls LPs, even made one. I've watched clownbirths live and die, seen onion memes debase the streets in broad daylight. Sometimes I wonder if what I do really helps people. Sometimes I wonder if people can even be helped. In the end I :justpost:

:siren:GAMES GAMES GAMES:siren:

Risk of Rain
Risk of Rain is an action platformer with roguelike elements. With permanent death as a primary feature, players will have to play their best to get as far as possible. Fight on a mysterious planet with randomly spawning enemies and bosses, either alone or with 3 friends in online co-op.

Asura
Asura is an indie, top-down, Hack 'n' Slash game set in a fantasy world inspired by the richness of Indian mythology. It features heavy rogue-like elements and a unique procedural skill tree which changes on every play-through.

Legend of Dungeon
Legend of Dungeon is a randomly generated action RPG Beat'em'up with heavy Rogue-like elements, striking visuals, and dynamic music.

Pick one! Steam says these are all good games, how could it not be true?

Nalesh posted:

Also, you may be a Gun Master now, but do you have the cannonballs that it takes to become a Gun God and reach the Nuclear Throne
I'm actually really looking forward to when we get around to Nuclear Throne.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

If there were only turrets Receiver would still be difficult and tense but it'd be ultimately manageable even at the heavy counts you ran into. But yeah gently caress drones in their ear, the only answer to them is hallways and even then you get one chance to tag them before they zoom straight into you if they've followed you in.

Glazius posted:

Our own 7c Nickel did a full run of Receiver a while back and I wanted to hear what you thought about it. Guess I know now!
:siren: gently caress DRONES :siren:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Noir Syndrome seems like an entertaining enough coffee break game. As ever I was hopeful for more, though.

Risk of Rain because I'm terrible at it and want to see it done competently. Hell, I'd be happy to jump in with you if you wanted.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That was... extremely lightweight and didn't tie together very well. Go places at random and hope to find clues. There were a man's fingerprints in this tailor shop that I randomly stumbled into! Our culprit must be a man!

...seems like a good base for how you could do the concept better though. It's got half of the idea, just... needs to tie it together better.

I'll vote Asura for an uncommon theme.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Risk of Rain because I love that game.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Risk of Rain because that's guaranteed to be a fun watch.

Tenebrais posted:

That was... extremely lightweight and didn't tie together very well. Go places at random and hope to find clues. There were a man's fingerprints in this tailor shop that I randomly stumbled into! Our culprit must be a man!

...seems like a good base for how you could do the concept better though. It's got half of the idea, just... needs to tie it together better.

Yeah if it had more robust and coherent random generation for the plots and clues, it'd be more impressive, but as it is I found it seriously lacking in replay value.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I'm intrigued by Legend of Dungeon.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Risk of Rain. If possible, 360 no-scope it.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Surely something as generically named as Legend of Dungeon couldn't be bad. Right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Asura seems like an interesting twist. Let's see how it goes.

Where does game-to-game progression come in in Noir Syndrome? Can you stock up lockpicks over multiple runs?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Risk of Rain

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Asura sounds interesting.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Asura

I like Receiver. Nice game to play once or twice a month. gently caress drones.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Receiver gets a bit more fun with the gun mod, which adds a couple more guns to play with. Still, gently caress drones.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
:ghost: SPECIAL HALLOWEEN EVENT :ghost:

Tomorrow, on the 31st, I'll be doing a short stream of survival-horror roguelite Monstrum at 6:00 PM PST/9:00 PM EST over at https://www.twitch.tv/pbug/. I'll drop the video as next weeks update for those who actually have cool things to do on this dumb fake holiday.

Also Risk of Rain won, from what I've seen I'll be bad at it and need the extra time to practice.

Glazius posted:

Where does game-to-game progression come in in Noir Syndrome? Can you stock up lockpicks over multiple runs?
Every game is pretty much a fresh start. There's really not much to the game, besides getting like 30 in-game achievements or whatever.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Secret to Risk of Rain is to only ever play the Miner, maximum mobility, also dual-wielding Pickaxes to give monsters impromptu lobotomies.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
The secret to Risk of Rain is to only play co-op

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Atomikus posted:

The secret to Risk of Rain is to only play co-op

This is what I was thinking. I've watched people have fun in co-op but when I tried single player it was bad. Hopefully party bug has a friend.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You might also give Golden Krone Hotel a try. It's pretty far to the Lite end of the spectrum, but there's still some Rogue in there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

wiegieman posted:

You might also give Golden Krone Hotel a try. It's pretty far to the Lite end of the spectrum, but there's still some Rogue in there.

Wait, what? How is it lite? It's a full-blown roguelike by every metric I can think of.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Secret to Risk of Rain is to only ever play the Miner, maximum mobility, also dual-wielding Pickaxes to give monsters impromptu lobotomies.
Any class but Sniper can become a whirlwind of death once the skillset clicks with you, that being said Miner is actually one of the harder characters to play. My favorite would be Acrid and watching the enemies drop dead of plague by entire screenful.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait, what? How is it lite? It's a full-blown roguelike by every metric I can think of.

I should say that it's a very refined roguelike then. There aren't any gear decisions to make, spells are deliberately limited in scope and availability, potions are called out and self-identify.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I should say that it's a very refined roguelike then. There aren't any gear decisions to make, spells are deliberately limited in scope and availability, potions are called out and self-identify.

...Ahhhh.

It's a roguelike, it fits the genre.

Within the genre it's more like Sproggiwood and the like - simplified, but no less fun.

Sorry for the nitpicking, but if you spend too long around roguelikes/roguelites, well, you get sensitive to these labels. :v:

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Yo people play Risk of Rain for fun? For real?

Maybe I really will force someone to play this game with me.

edit: Enforcers broke as poo poo god drat

wiegieman posted:

A GAME WITH A GRID? IN THE ROGUELITE THREAD!?!??

crypt of the necrodancer has a grid too but it owns

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 2, 2017

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I certainly play Risk of Rain for fun. Haven't touched it since they supposedly fixed it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I haven't played Risk of Rain, but I did watch part of an LP and it looked terrible. But to each their own.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Risk of Rain is really, really good and I played it for fun. I'll be interested to hear why you hate it in the upcoming update!

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Risk of Rain is good and fun but also I completely understand hating it. It's really god drat hard. I got the achievement for dying 50 times before I managed to win once. And ofc it took me a lot longer before I could win reliably. And then only on normal, I still can't reliably win on Monsoon with every character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

It's hard but it looks like if you know what you're doing you gain steam enough to become an awesome power of destruction. I never figured out how to know what I was doing though. :saddowns: