Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Methanar posted:

There is at least one in Edmonton

I meant their only store in Vancouver is in Richmond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Kind of saw that NCIX thing coming for a while now. They order processing times have completely gone down the drain, and their customer service is pretty much non-existent at this point. Their stock levels on items have been bottoming out lately as well, and it really looked like they were not bothering to restock items as they sold out.

BUT, Memory Express and NCIX are the same company, so they probably just transitioning all assets and infrastructure to the ME name. If you've ever been in the ME store in Richmond as well, the place is loving massive inside, but they were only using about a third of the floorspace with the rest empty and roped off. Definitely had that vibe that they were waiting for "something" to happen to fill the space. I got the feeling it might have something to do with NCIX shuttering a while back, since as I said they're sister companies and NCIX has been loving up for a while now.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
drat. I haven't used NCIX since Newegg opened a Canadian finger, but I never imagined that they'd poo poo the bed like this.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

BUT, Memory Express and NCIX are the same company, so they probably just transitioning all assets and infrastructure to the ME name. If you've ever been in the ME store in Richmond as well, the place is loving massive inside, but they were only using about a third of the floorspace with the rest empty and roped off. Definitely had that vibe that they were waiting for "something" to happen to fill the space. I got the feeling it might have something to do with NCIX shuttering a while back, since as I said they're sister companies and NCIX has been loving up for a while now.

Where are you seeing this? I'm trying to look it up, but I can't find anything to indicate they're the same company.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Coxswain Balls posted:

Where are you seeing this? I'm trying to look it up, but I can't find anything to indicate they're the same company.

NCIX, Memory Express, Direct Canada, Best Direct, and NXSource are all the same company.

Although just doing a bit of research, I think Memory Express may have been spun off into its own entity at this point. They were related several years ago when last I checked, but they seem separate now. That may have been a move to sever ties after ME started to get successful, and NCIX started to poo poo the bed.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
As someone who might be in the market for a new PC soon, any worthy goto in Montreal? Or is Newegg the default answer?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

drat. I haven't used NCIX since Newegg opened a Canadian finger, but I never imagined that they'd poo poo the bed like this.

I had some reason to use NCIX for some parts when I built my PC last year. Maybe Newegg Canada didn’t carry everything I wanted.

E: All I know is the only thing I ordered from Newegg was my power supply and display.

zergstain fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 21, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

I bought from a lot of vendors along Broadway back in the day and NCIX was definitely my preference.
Are you me?
I had no idea NCIX was falling apart like that. I remember first buying from them in the mid 90s (and ATIC) when I got back into Windows PCs and built my P200 on Windows 95. I have actually been a customer of theirs right up until my last build. I'll be sad to see them go.

Where are you guys shopping nowdays? ME?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

Are you me?
I had no idea NCIX was falling apart like that. I remember first buying from them in the mid 90s (and ATIC) when I got back into Windows PCs and built my P200 on Windows 95. I have actually been a customer of theirs right up until my last build. I'll be sad to see them go.

Where are you guys shopping nowdays? ME?

Laff, I went into ATIC once and the service was so bad I never went back. There were a few other ones in the general area that were ok, and one in yaletown too (new type computer or something). I haven’t even looked around, I wonder if there are small pc stores around there anymore or if it is all dead due to high rent/competition from newegg/ncix/amazon. I haven’t lived in the area for years so I assume it is massively different.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I only used ATIC for price matching. The only thing I remember buying there was a Voodoo1 card (that gives timeframe I guess).

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Aw man. I haven't had to build anything for a couple years now but NCIX was always my goto and I always had such good service ordering from there. RIP

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

If amazon.ca ever gets anywhere near to .com it will be my choice for sure. Prices are good and next day delivery with my wife’s prime account? Hell yes.

Sadly their selection is extremely hit or miss with a lot of 3rd party storefront crap as well.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

priznat posted:

If amazon.ca ever gets anywhere near to .com it will be my choice for sure. Prices are good and next day delivery with my wife’s prime account? Hell yes.

Sadly their selection is extremely hit or miss with a lot of 3rd party storefront crap as well.

They are just trying to respect the Canadian tradition of paying more for everything. :laugh:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

.ca has gotten WAY better the last couple years tbf

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

.ca has gotten WAY better the last couple years tbf

Care to list any examples besides only the newest of the new and most mainstream of game releases?

Because otherwise America is usually still cheaper, even after currency conversion and shipping + import fees.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Care to list any examples besides only the newest of the new and most mainstream of game releases?

Because otherwise America is usually still cheaper, even after currency conversion and shipping + import fees.

Well, everything but games? I don't buy videogames anymore. I buy everything from phone cases to over the counter drugs to kitchen stuff. It's always in stock at a local centre and cheap as hell, with prime free shipping. I rarely have issues anymore.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Well, I keep running into the same problem every time; no selection of what I want, or if they have it, it's two to four times retail msrp.
And it's not like I'm going out of my way to find esoteric poo poo, either.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well, everything but games? I don't buy videogames anymore. I buy everything from phone cases to over the counter drugs to kitchen stuff. It's always in stock at a local centre and cheap as hell, with prime free shipping. I rarely have issues anymore.

The most common thing I encounter is the following:

US Amazon: Product X, Product Y, Product Z. All of them fulfill the same purpose. X is the cheapest of the bunch, and has earned a 4 rating. Y and Z are a bit pricier, but Y also has a 4 rating, compared to the 5 rating Z has earned. Z also has a company rep replying to certain questions.

CA Amazon: Product X and Product Y exist, but Product Z is nowhere to be found. X and Y are the same price, both about twice as expensive as their US pricing.

It's really weird and dumb. There can also be some variants, where Product Z exists, but is sold by a third party and is 2.5 times the US price, or where Product Z exists, but is a licensed product name, not the original, and is in fact a completely different product inside the package.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It definitely has gotten better and my wife actually really enjoys having prime but I find it so restricted compared to .com.

The worst is having the location set to the states in the app or web page then realizing that no, none of this stuff is actually available here :smith:

And since amazon still keeps killing off other etailers on both sides of the border the online options sometimes seem worse than they were a few years ago.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

EoRaptor posted:

It's really weird and dumb. There can also be some variants, where Product Z exists, but is sold by a third party and is 2.5 times the US price, or where Product Z exists, but is a licensed product name, not the original, and is in fact a completely different product inside the package.

My favourite is Product Z exists but is not 2.5 times the price, but 9 times the price asking for $315 for a set of $35 bluetooth earbuds. You wonder if it's a pricing error but you keep seeing inflated prices from third party sellers all over the site, over and over again.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

8ender posted:

My favourite is Product Z exists but is not 2.5 times the price, but 9 times the price asking for $315 for a set of $35 bluetooth earbuds. You wonder if it's a pricing error but you keep seeing inflated prices from third party sellers all over the site, over and over again.

Are they bots? Are they confused asians pricing in Hong Kong dollars? Are they criminals gambling on idiots just hitting "1-click purchase" and not noticing on their credit card bill? :iiam:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8ender posted:

or $60 for an $8 oil filter.

left is canadian, right is US the $8 canadian option has $25 shipping from kentucky. The Us listing has a $9.33 prime option.

How about oil

Almost 4 times the price, but free shipping! Or 6 times the price buying in bulk!

So what is a $95 oil change off amazon.com is $329.56 off amazon.ca, if you have prime.

It seems outside of the super mainstream stuff, the bulk of amazon.ca listings are american companies, shipping from the US that just double the price, then apply the exchange rate. It's just some dude near the border who orders it off amazon.com as soon as you order it from him on amazon.ca and ships it to you once it has been shipped to him.

There are no good canadian online shopping options, the majority of people polled still say they perfer B&M shopping, yet retail is dying out. Maybe housing costs being over 50% of income where the majority of the population lives is causing a problem?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Powershift posted:

It seems outside of the super mainstream stuff, the bulk of amazon.ca listings are american companies, shipping from the US that just double the price, then apply the exchange rate. It's just some dude near the border who orders it off amazon.com as soon as you order it from him on amazon.ca and ships it to you once it has been shipped to him.

There are no good canadian online shopping options, the majority of people polled still say they perfer B&M shopping, yet retail is dying out. Maybe housing costs being over 50% of income where the majority of the population lives is causing a problem?

However could that be a problem? Because, you see, my house...

But, yeah. I'm mostly lucky, until I'm not. Random loving $5 bit from .com or ebay.com is suddenly $300 from .ca of either. I really hope a Canadian city wins this amazon second HQ (like it would happen)

urf
Jul 12, 2009

I am pretty happy with this switch.
Still waiting for the other shoe to drop, it just doesn't seem real that I am going to end up paying 30bux a month for this.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

urf posted:

Still waiting for the other shoe to drop, it just doesn't seem real that I am going to end up paying 30bux a month for this.

Getting so burned in Calgary compare to you guys. Keep looking at new plans but it's really hard to beat me current 30 plan with teksavvy. Would murder for these sorts of speeds

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

urf posted:

how in the world do you only pay $30/mo for that

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

urf posted:

That's because this isn't real enough to be of use to anyone reading. Is this a bundle of condo deal?

urf
Jul 12, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

how in the world do you only pay $30/mo for that

Zigmidge posted:

That's because this isn't real enough to be of use to anyone reading. Is this a bundle of condo deal?

I was told it was a deal exclusive to my apartment building, something about trying to maintain a good relationship with the property management company.
I know Bell ran fiber in our building recently, so maybe that combined with upcoming third party access to fiber resale has Rogers worried maybe?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

NZAmoeba posted:

As someone who might be in the market for a new PC soon, any worthy goto in Montreal? Or is Newegg the default answer?

They opened up a Canada Computers downtown now (near Atwater station)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MemoryExpress here in Winnipeg is pretty much the king of everything. Great selection of everything good and the brands I want. Price matching with anything just owns. I saved quite a bit of cash last year building.

Shame to hear about NCIX but that's just how it is. Better than how it used to be with poo poo shops here charging a fortune and putting their crap all over your system. Apparently one of the stores here, Computer Boulevard, was a front for bringing in illegal immigrants. :3:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Having Memory Express in town is pretty much the best thing ever; I'm super spoiled by it.

Also still patiently waiting for that 250 plan from Telus in Edmonton...

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Shame to hear about NCIX but that's just how it is. Better than how it used to be with poo poo shops here charging a fortune and putting their crap all over your system. Apparently one of the stores here, Computer Boulevard, was a front for bringing in illegal immigrants. :3:

Ahahahah, is that why they closed down? I thought it was because there was no point in going there after Memory Express opened up shop.

Although that doesn't explain how Computer Avenue is somehow still open. It's probably a front for something, I just don't know what.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Computer Avenue just shut down earlier this year. That was one of the first stores I ever went to.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ncix is trolling twitter posting pics of 8700ks but they are of course sold out.

https://twitter.com/NCIXdotCOM/status/922918000528785408

They have the other series 8s though, it seems.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Vintersorg posted:

MemoryExpress here in Winnipeg is pretty much the king of everything. Great selection of everything good and the brands I want. Price matching with anything just owns. I saved quite a bit of cash last year building.

I've been shopping (and shamelessly pricematching) at MemX since it opened in Winnipeg, they have good stock on core components but I always have issues with slightly obscure stuff.

They also have some new employees that are just greasy salesmen that flat out lie about what their instore product replacement warranty covers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

They also have some new employees that are just greasy salesmen that flat out lie about what their instore product replacement warranty covers.

Future shop ex employees gotta go somewhere!

mewse
May 2, 2006

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

I don't go there very often but I've had 1 great experience with a young sales guy a few years ago, after that my best interactions were with a guy on the tech desk at the back of the shop. Couple visits I got the slimey vibe from the sales guys.. I got upsold on a drat 40mm fan of all things

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

priznat posted:

Future shop ex employees gotta go somewhere!

Pretty much man. I used to fix computers there and the memex by me is full of old people I worked with

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Huh. I had no idea NCIX was falling apart, but now that I think about it it's been years since I bought anything from them -- Canada Computers and NewEgg both have faster shipping, better websites (and when CC has a better website you have hosed up somewhere), and generally lower prices. And if I want to walk into an actual physical store the CC is a lot more convenient to me, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's funny, some other thread on the forums was trash talking Newegg as having gone to poo poo after being sold to a Chinese company who were running it terribly just last week. Their conclusion was to buy parts from Amazon.

That was in the US context, but my odd component orders in the last 2-3 years have almost all been to Amazon.ca