Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

financially racist posted:

awww yeah this is totally my poo poo. also lmao i remember that terrible single from this album and thinking 'what the hell is jewel thinking with this poo poo'.

i wonder what other artists are primed for this series.

Didn't Jewel try to claim that the whole thing was "satire" when the predictable backlash hit?

What a weird era of pop music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I was away for a bit and had to binge some Jim Sterling stuff, and I have to say, I am getting tired of some of his industry critiques. Good thing he's diversifying into Commentocracy and other types of entertainment.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What are some prime targets for Todd's new series?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mraagvpeine posted:

That's actually a good question. I can think of a lot of acts who had terrible albums that tanked their mainstream appeal, but still had long careers after that.

I almost wanna say The Killers since Sam's Town almost instantly wiped out the goodwill from their debut album, but those fuckers are still chugging along today.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Isn't Cut the Crap by the Clash a notorious big failure that ruined them? I'd guess that'd be one of them. Wonder if Weezer will make an appearance although they've revived their career since failures like Make Believe.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
You could probably do a whole series on those mid-2000s bands everyone thought would be The Next Big Thing and then ... weren't. (remember Franz Ferdinand?)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Would Chinese Democracy count?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Alacron posted:

Would Chinese Democracy count?

On a technicality, I'm sure

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
On a different note, Movies With Mikey does Hot Fuzz

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
It's good. Todd is often good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCzxas0ZZuE

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yup, it was a quality video. I'd like it if Make Believe by Weezer was something he'd cover because Jesus that killed their credibility for years. Also he should do Smashing Pumpkins but he could cover at least three albums there.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It was as wonderful as expected! I always has this idea that Jewel was, you know, good. But Todd shows that she ain't that deep, so her fall out of popularity isn't so surprised. Also if her second and third album weren't as popularity as her first then I totally get the desperate attempt to appeal to the pop crowd.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I didn't know about Todd in the Shadows at all until this page of this thread, but this was probably the right time for me to find out about him because I've started to actually listen to the radio on the way to work and I actually know the songs he's reviewing. I'm enjoying this channel quite a bit.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Combo Post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzrr08ARq2I

Can we talk about Angry Joe? I wanna talk about Angry Joe. Coz I like him. I dunno why because he can irritate the gently caress out of me sometimes, but I find his enthusiasm and energy endearing.

Why does he keep doing "Reviews"? Coz they ain't reviews really, are they? To the best of my knowledge he has never released a review video in time for it to be useful for people wondering whether to purchase a game (He literally says in this video "So. Is it all worth it? If you haven't already bought the game." :/ ). Maybe it's because :corsair: but I thought that was the purpose of a review. By the time he gets them out they're retrospectives. Albeit really high quality produced, in depth and fun retrospectives.

Anyway - Joe. Dude. Check what Jim Sterling is doing. Stop doing reviews, do editorials. I know there's a shitload of stuff you wanna talk about and you can do it by framing it around a dissection of a game. It's what you're doing already but with a wider range of games and a lower time restraint.

Hell, he has the ability to make a livestream rant entertaining to follow and somehow he manages to make the over-angry hyper-reaction fresh (IMHO). (I always refer to his DC Legends Mobile Game Rant for this)

Sure he's not the most insightful guy out there, but hell, he's fun, and I want him to keep going. :)

KayTee fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 21, 2017

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
reviews aren't necessarily purchasing guides, joe's more of a reviews as criticism type, with a bit of purchasing advice thrown in, but he does his due diligence and makes sure he's had enough time with the game

I don't necessarily like his style and I think he's critical instincts are fairly basic, but he's...fine, I guess

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mr.Radar posted:

Dan Olson is currently Tweeting as he's watching The Book of Henry and taking notes for his upcoming video on it:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/921156191295868929

THE BOOK OF HENRY is what happens when everyone wants to work with a director they think is going to be the next big thing and none of them stop to question the insanity he's getting on film.

DoubleCakes posted:

Isn't Cut the Crap by the Clash a notorious big failure that ruined them? I'd guess that'd be one of them. Wonder if Weezer will make an appearance although they've revived their career since failures like Make Believe.

Oh The Clash were already imploding by then. 2 members of the group were fired, one of whom basically wrote most of their music. Their manager took over production of the album and...it was all bad. The Clash were done before they even started recording it, they just didn't realise it until the damage had been done.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Didn't Joe try to take a break from reviews and his fans had such a shitfit he felt obligated to start them again? That may be the answer to 'why does he keep doing x'.

Dude's not really my bag but he always seemed like a pretty genuine and nice guy, my boyfriend's into him and sometimes shares the especially good videos he puts out. Like already said I like that he seems to try to give games a genuine shot even if he's not super into them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Joe's fanbase really loves his reviews, to the point where they will harass him online if he produces too much content that is not reviews.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MiddleOne posted:

Joe's fanbase really loves his reviews, to the point where they will harass him online if he produces too much content that is not reviews.

that's a real fuckin bummer.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

Didn't Joe try to take a break from reviews and his fans had such a shitfit he felt obligated to start them again? That may be the answer to 'why does he keep doing x'.

I thought his break was literally like, a month, and he started back up like he said he would in the first place. Basically his fans were throwing shitfits over nothing.

internet.txt basically.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Joe probably could have handled that situation better on his end too. He'd be better off if he was a bit more open towards his fans as opposed to being antagonistic. In my experience with things like this, you start off with bits of criticism here and there ("hey, where's the videos?") and then there's three places to go: Ignore it, explain the current situation, or have a go at the critic for being entitled or whatever because you put in work on this poo poo and so on. There may be times when you feel like doing the third thing but it usually just results in escalation and people getting shoutier and more abrasive (and obviously if you have a following like Joe's people will notice).

Like, if Joe was feeling the burn and wanted to take a break, probably best to make a video saying that. "Hey guys I'm going to chill the burners for a bit, catch me on Twitch for some streams and so forth and I'll be back in the game shortly - here's some cool poo poo I've got coming up"...sure you might get some dicks but for the most part people will be cool.

He certainly does work his arse off by all accounts, but I kinda worry about how he plays the game a little. I always think "Get a Patreon, relying solely on ad revenue's gonna gently caress you up" or "Maybe get a second channel for some of this stuff? People will go there".

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s23MomcbSgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrtehmzSTbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTJFChB5wyY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urfXuVboH3k

Thoughts on Saint, the lets player of obscure videogames?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Kim Justice posted:

Joe probably could have handled that situation better on his end too. He'd be better off if he was a bit more open towards his fans as opposed to being antagonistic. In my experience with things like this, you start off with bits of criticism here and there ("hey, where's the videos?") and then there's three places to go: Ignore it, explain the current situation, or have a go at the critic for being entitled or whatever because you put in work on this poo poo and so on. There may be times when you feel like doing the third thing but it usually just results in escalation and people getting shoutier and more abrasive (and obviously if you have a following like Joe's people will notice).

Like, if Joe was feeling the burn and wanted to take a break, probably best to make a video saying that. "Hey guys I'm going to chill the burners for a bit, catch me on Twitch for some streams and so forth and I'll be back in the game shortly - here's some cool poo poo I've got coming up"...sure you might get some dicks but for the most part people will be cool.

He did that, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3cYWOEp-3o

It was the commentariat response to that announcement that made him do a response video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeywxF_nUhU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ah ok, I wasn't aware of that. I still think he could stand to be less antagonistic mind - but that's kinda the way he's always been.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Joe is an expressive person, yes, but he was literally giving his fans a notice that not a lot of content creators give when they go on hiatus (and he even stated he was able to do it since there were like no games coming out in that period of time in the first place).

Then they decided to be entitled little shits who don't like their idols getting vacations ever, especially when they are getting their content for free.

If anything, Joe was still holding back on his frustration at their reactions to his notice. And yes, those types of fans need to be called out on their poo poo.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I think, looking through the timeline, another problem that people had is that he hadn't done an Angry Game Review for a couple months already before announcing the "vacation". When it already looks like you've been taking it easy...

Also...I dunno, it's not much of one if you're still releasing content. I think that Joe needs a 2nd channel for the movie/TV review stuff he does (which is more just chatting with his friends about it Half In The Bag-style but not as good). I think it frustrates him a lot that people don't really go for that stuff and are just there for the Game Reviews, but that's the way it is. Joe and his mates chatting about movies gets around 300-400k tops. He released a review for Shadow of War today and made those numbers in 7 hours. His Destiny 2 vid has 3 million.

Just my thoughts, anyway. Those game reviews are just about always hot poo poo, so it's best to not gently caress that up, even if it means playing the game a bit.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mraagvpeine posted:

The Beginning pretty much killed the Black Eyed Peas didn't it?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Zedd posted:

Yeah, that album was loving dire. The E.N.D was pretty awful for the most part also but the Beginning is almost irredeemably bad.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADLGtyc3-jk

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Some goon articulated it better than I ever could, but Angry Joe's reviews/criticisms pushed a message (if you don't like something, be angry and ragey about it) to an audience receptive to it. The audience took that lesson to heart when he did something different.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Zedd posted:

That, plus the infamously bad Super Bowl performance. At that point we as a society decided that we'd finally had enough of them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Benne posted:

That, plus the infamously bad Super Bowl performance. At that point we as a society decided that we'd finally had enough of them.

I actually watched that superbowl! It really was bad. Then later they came up at a bar's playlist and I told my friend they were such hacks, and she told me to stop talking about it because it was making her mad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Super Bowl appearance may have been the worst live music I have ever heard. It was embarrassing.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I check him out every once in awhile. He's not great as a Let's Player but he covers games that no one else does, like &&, Central Station, and others.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Every once in a while I watch an Angry Joe video to be reminded why I don't watch him regularly. Last one I watched was his Alien: Covenant review. He didn't like the movie (so he's on the right side of history with that one :smug:), but he got to a point where he said (paraphrasing): "and if you watched this movie as a fanboy and you just loved it, that's fine. But I watch movies as a CRITIC, and I judge critical stuff like CINEMATOGRAPHY and SCREENPLAY and etc etc." Basically he mentioned a list of buzzwords that he never has anything interesting or insightful to comment about, but by mentioning them, it makes him a real critic. At this point I was like "oh yeah, that's why I don't watch his stuff"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Remember The Escapist? Probably not, it's been a while since anyone thought about them. Anyway, they apparently gutted almost their entire paid staff and the website is on life support with only volunteers left running the joint.

Yahtzee is still there for reasons.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Benne posted:

He's basically the only reason anyone's gone there for eons anyway, so they'll eek by for a while longer I imagine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Every once in a while I watch an Angry Joe video to be reminded why I don't watch him regularly. Last one I watched was his Alien: Covenant review. He didn't like the movie (so he's on the right side of history with that one :smug:), but he got to a point where he said (paraphrasing): "and if you watched this movie as a fanboy and you just loved it, that's fine. But I watch movies as a CRITIC, and I judge critical stuff like CINEMATOGRAPHY and SCREENPLAY and etc etc." Basically he mentioned a list of buzzwords that he never has anything interesting or insightful to comment about, but by mentioning them, it makes him a real critic. At this point I was like "oh yeah, that's why I don't watch his stuff"

Alien Covenant is on point visually, and everything with David's character is really great and a lot more interesting than someone rehashing Cameron's Aliens again. Which is what he wants. By wearing a loving Colonial Marine costume during it lol.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Benne posted:

Remember The Escapist? Probably not, it's been a while since anyone thought about them. Anyway, they apparently gutted almost their entire paid staff and the website is on life support with only volunteers left running the joint.

man, remember when the escapist had people putting out videos every day, and hosting like, original 'creative' content and doing a film festival

well, at least i found loading ready run that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I was thinking more about another popular gaming site that's going down the toilet, but hey-ho

• Locked thread