Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

if i have made some sort of huge mistake you should, like, tell me about it!!

if i would criticize anything it would be the cpu. but a lot of more economical builds call for amd over intel because lower power, lower demand, lower price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Really Pants posted:

Treasure Adventure Game

no, really

Yeap. It's freeware, available from gog and probably elsewhere too.

They've also been working on a remake.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

if i would criticize anything it would be the cpu. but a lot of more economical builds call for amd over intel because lower power, lower demand, lower price.

will it not be able to run videogames? I don't know that much about computer parts, I had to get a guy to help me out, but from research it sounds like the new ryzens at least are somewhat comparable to intel

plus please note i'm coming at this from gaming on laptops so like, even a 3.0ghz cpu would probably be an improvement. i'm ok with playing games on lower settings and stuff, and i didn't want to spend too much. i just want to play the witcher 3 drat it

e:

homeless snail posted:

stock coolers are fine, they run a little hot but if you aren't overclocking it should be fine

yeah i know that if i want to actually overclock stuff i need a nice cooler, i don't plan to do that at this time

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 21, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

like i am assuming it'll be able to do a lot better than this:

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I apologize if this is the wrong thread for my question. I know virtually nothing about the state of modern gaming, and I am just doing research.

So , my question: I have recently been talking to a person who is planning to crowdfund a comic book project. His goal is not to sell physical copies, but to distribute digitally through games. "Digital distribution inside games is the core of our strategy", he told me, but then got hostile when I asked for details.

I have never heard of a marketing strategy like this, but as I said, I am behind the times. Is this a thing? Do people buy comic books and other non-game products this way? I'd be grateful for an explanation, or links to any resources on this topic.

Thank you. I have always loved you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

your friend is nuts

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

your friend is nuts

not emptyquoting buuuut

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Most books are written using minecraft blocks these days

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

does... does he mean like he wants to draw comic book art for video games

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

It sounds like he wants to draw the comic book art, but have it be sold through in game stores. It is unclear if the comic books would be related to the games they are sold in.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Can't wait to start getting comic book pages in my loot boxes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

will it not be able to run videogames? I don't know that much about computer parts, I had to get a guy to help me out, but from research it sounds like the new ryzens at least are somewhat comparable to intel

it's more on the operating system side of things. maybe something looks for an intel onboard graphics card because it's stupid. maybe something OS-side is designed to run specifically on an intel chipset. but it's not like the weird differences you get in gpus where one game will run great on an nvidia but will run like poo poo on an amd because of proprietary features.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Might be some crazy Second Life thing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's like when The Darkness had whole movies you can watch in game he just wants to scatter his comic books around so you can read them

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kanfy posted:

Can't wait to start getting comic book pages in my loot boxes.

Better than profile icons, at least.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/3243/

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Cowcaster posted:

I BELIEVE the idea is that he will produce a comic book that can be purchased digitally, like any digital edition of a Marvel or DC book, and that it will be sold through a feature available somewhere within the game, like a pop-up or the in-game store?

Since I don't understand these things well, it sounded weird to me. But then I thought maybe people can already purchase albums or other digital merchandise this way. If not through the game, then as something bundled when you buy the game through the online retailer.

Does something like that sound logical?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Final Fantasy X is the best FF game

I'm sorry, it's still FF14.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Death Ray posted:

Does something like that sound logical?

Not to be a dick about it but no, it doesn't.

Like if you want to distribute stuff digitally, you can do so through Amazon for what I understand is not a lot of money at all. I mean, it would be possible to distribute a comic through a game but that seems like something that most people wouldn't really be down for and like what game is he even hoping to do this with? Like does he want to make his own game that will literally ask people to pay money for a comic that most games would give away for free (for reference, Overwatch has regular comics and while you can buy a physical copy of them if you really want, they also freely distribute them digitally}. Like I'm trying to wrap my head around it but the very kindest thing I can say is he should focus on making a good game with a world and character that people invest themselves in enough that they want more, then he should think of doing a comic to expand it. At best he seems to really be putting the cart before the horse here.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sometimes you can buy a game in a bundle with its soundtrack, but I don't think anyone is banking on it like your friend is

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

i've heard nothing but awesome stuff about these games, unfortunately this fan translation patch really is loving huge to the point that you need to specifically use bsnes to use it so it's kind of a pain to set up. the guy who translated mother 3 got very excited about it though

https://twitter.com/ClydeMandelin/status/921788534612156416

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how many cultures could a culture parody parody if the culture parody parodies a parody of its own culture

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

how many cultures could a culture parody parody if the culture parody parodies a parody of its own culture

ate

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the aristocrats

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I might try playing that Far East of Eden game when I'm done playing the game I'm currently playing, which I will not name because someone here would (intentionally or unintentionally) spoil it for me

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Olive! posted:

I might try playing that Far East of Eden game when I'm done playing the game I'm currently playing, which I will not name because someone here would (intentionally or unintentionally) spoil it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWVtZ9O0Yc&t=6s

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

gently caress

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Olive! posted:

if you don't save kaufmann you'll get the bad ending

also this is how one of the later far east of eden games opens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkrsryCp6Fk

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think I might actually beat Berseria in time for Mario. For context I just beat the part where you were forced through an illusion where in the end you had to rekill your home village. It seems like I'd only have a few sections left but with JRPGs, who knows?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm trying to finish FFXIV before Friday and I think I'll be able to do it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wasn't it established for me that ff 14 is the mmo? how do you finish an mmo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think I might actually beat Berseria in time for Mario. For context I just beat the part where you were forced through an illusion where in the end you had to rekill your home village. It seems like I'd only have a few sections left but with JRPGs, who knows?

iirc you've got like fifteen hours left (the last dungeon is really annoyingly long though and you're not quite there yet) (also there's a post-game dungeon but you should just look up the scenes at the end of that one after you beat the game because it's really long and boring)

Cowcaster posted:

it's pretty heavy on story content afaik

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

its ff first and mmo second

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

it's got a plot and a final boss and stuff

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

iirc you've got like fifteen hours left (the last dungeon is really annoyingly long though and you're not quite there yet)

Okay, well we'll see then. If I don't beat it I have no problem putting it aside for a bit, especially because Mario games are the only games that I tend to just plow the gently caress through.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It's a dressup game actually

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are also a handful of end-game sidequests, i'd recommend turning the difficulty down to simple and doing all of them because they're really well written and resolve some stuff for a bunch of party members and at that point it won't take you long to go through them, but the boss fights get really awful

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's got a plot and a final boss and stuff

i guess that makes sense but like, so does diablo 3

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i guess that makes sense but like, so does diablo 3

Not any more it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

chumbler posted:

It sounds like he wants to draw the comic book art, but have it be sold through in game stores. It is unclear if the comic books would be related to the games they are sold in.

This strategy would make him zero dollars. Make sure he understands that.

• Locked thread