Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
hightower does end, when I get autobooted to make room for server VIPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I'm still using chris' maxquality config from like 2012 https://chrisdown.name/tf2/ and the framerate is dropping by half in busy parts of the new maps :/
what's a good eyecandy config for someone aiming for 120+fps at 1080p?
or is that just a pipe dream in 2017?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
dang i figured the maintenance last night was going to make matchmaking better, but i've still been in queue for 20 minutes with no sign of that changing. and hearing that the fps drops/stutters are still happening is also pretty unfort

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"
Pretty underwhelming buggy update that broke casual and huds... :(

But hey contracts for badly designed maps hi5

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The really sad thing is that their matchmaking servers apparently can't handle this frankly not that big load. Matching up perhaps 1000-2000 players queuing at a time shouldn't take this long. As long as it's this bad the game won't be able to have a resurgence for that alone.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

noice

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont really get the Dragon's Fury's reload text. it says something about hitting consecutive shots giving you a bonus reload speed but i dont remember needing to ever reload

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Countblanc posted:

i dont really get the Dragon's Fury's reload text. it says something about hitting consecutive shots giving you a bonus reload speed but i dont remember needing to ever reload

Delay between shots. If you airblast there is a long delay until you can shoot it again, if you shoot and miss there is a normal delay until you can shoot again, and if you shoot and hit there is only a short delay. My first interpretation was that it was an infinite ammo thing like the Cow Mangler.

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

so you agree that it's not overpowered, then

This is TF2 still right? Where the Soldier is be far the best class in the game in every situation but no one wants to touch him because comp players will throw a big blubbery fit?

This new gun is a mid range rocket launcher with no reload, faster firing speed, and a projectile so loving big you can't see poo poo while its shooting at you.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

:eyepop:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
So I think I killed someone by air blasting their dragon's fury poof back at them. I dunno.

also, if I'm in a game, and I complete a contract goal. can I switch to another contract and activate that to start working on that one until the round ends?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

QwertySanchez posted:

So I think I killed someone by air blasting their dragon's fury poof back at them. I dunno.

also, if I'm in a game, and I complete a contract goal. can I switch to another contract and activate that to start working on that one until the round ends?

You have to wait until the end of the round, otherwise it doesn't save your progress for that contract.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bob Locke posted:

This is TF2 still right? Where the Soldier is be far the best class in the game in every situation but no one wants to touch him because comp players will throw a big blubbery fit?

This new gun is a mid range rocket launcher with no reload, faster firing speed, and a projectile so loving big you can't see poo poo while its shooting at you.

it doesnt splash

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the new pyro weapon has basically zero similarities to the rocket launcher beyond "it's a projectile"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also soldier is not the best class in the game, and certainly not the best in every situation

in terms of who is the most powerful, who has the most impact to swing a game(normal or comp or whatever), it's medic.
scout is the best 1v1 duelist, demo is best at area control/defensive play/damage dealing(but not finishing people off due to lack of a hitscan weapon), and soldier is a very good all-rounder

instead of complaining about how soldier should be nerfed it would make more sense to ask for buffs to certain other underpowered classes. like pyro! 🤔

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 21, 2017

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Or Spy perhaps? Who got mostly nerfs this patch for some reason.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

https://twitter.com/baraGodzilla/status/921874160833454085

weapon paint is good

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Broken Cog posted:

Or Spy perhaps? Who got mostly nerfs this patch for some reason.
yeah spy's still in a weird spot

I'll take what I can get in tyool 2017 though

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Jose Mengelez posted:

I'm still using chris' maxquality config from like 2012 https://chrisdown.name/tf2/ and the framerate is dropping by half in busy parts of the new maps :/
what's a good eyecandy config for someone aiming for 120+fps at 1080p?
or is that just a pipe dream in 2017?

turns out chris' configs are still all good i was just forcing two different types of AA on top of each other.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
what exactly does it mean to blast 15 people with the thermal thruster? just land on their heads after you boost up? because this poo poo is the hardest thing to accomplish right now :argh:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I like how the Loose Cannon contract has a bonus for sticky grenade kills. Way to rub it in, eh, Valve?

Edit: Also the Double Donk bonus objective doesn't work.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 22, 2017

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.

Jose Mengelez posted:

turns out chris' configs are still all good i was just forcing two different types of AA on top of each other.

Comanglia's config has been updated a lot more recently than Chris', might get better results with that too.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
thanks, i'll try them out later.

for anyone having trouble with the 10 points in a single life challenge (tried with the vaccinator, made me real unpopular) just set up a decent engie nest and turtle for a while, the pyro stampede will get you to 10 points in no time at all.
its not like a spy will get anywhere near you when 8 of your teammates are wildly spraying fire in every direction.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Soldier isn't best at much, but is 2nd or 3rd best at everything. In a league where 3/4 of your team had to be the same class, the winning choice would far and away be soldier. This bothers some people, makes perfect sense to others. (A matter of taste?) Calling soldier "the best class" is accurate in a very real sense, but if I were god of TF2, making changes to soldier wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Man, it's tough to come back to TF2. Had a blast for about 10 minutes, then I was reminded that random crits still exist.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Random crits are cool and good, namaste

(except on rapid fire weapons that get the 1-second of crits thing)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I am pretty OK with random crits

I wouldn't like them in a competitive setting bit come on man, this is tf2, stop caring about dying

When I was a teen I played almost exclusively on a 30% crit server and if they hadn't of added 20 other nonsense mods to the server I might've never stopped

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Reflecting a crocket back and hitting the soldier, his medic, and the two other schmucks walking by is one of the greatest feelings.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

I wouldn't like them in a competitive setting bit come on man, this is tf2, stop caring about dying

Yes, it is TF2, a fun game, which I would like to play instead of staring at a respawn screen

ZombieSupaStar
Mar 30, 2007

this steam overlay looks like a WebTV gui from 1998 now...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Random crits are cool and good, namaste

(except on rapid fire weapons that get the 1-second of crits thing)

Even then, they're mostly fine

The only weapon where crits are a real problem is the miniguns, since the crits remove damage falloff and suddenly everyone in the Heavy's line-of-sight is dead

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Crits help break stalemates so I'll never vote to be rid of them in pub servers. And they reward good players more than bad ones since the crit chance changes depending on how much you're damaging and healing. They wouldn't work in most other shooting games or in a comp setting but they fit perfectly here, I think they were a genius idea. Random Crockets are a gaming icon imo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they suck and are bad

it's not good that random crits are given more often to players who are doing better because that just leads to people steamrolling worse players harder. but it's a moot point because every aspect of random crits is awful

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Crits are cool in pubs because you kill more and you get more crits and then you crit more and kill more and then god kills you for your hubris by granting a crit to some righteous warrior seeking to topple the blood-crown death king reigning fire over their server.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

I like how the Loose Cannon contract has a bonus for sticky grenade kills. Way to rub it in, eh, Valve?

Edit: Also the Double Donk bonus objective doesn't work.

It only works on Ubercharged enemies. Dead serious

Also I've heard several people say the Thermal Thruster's "500 afterburn in one life" only tallies when using the Backburner, which is consistent with my own experiences but I can't factually confirm

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

re: crits I kinda feel like the #1 reason they still exist is because Valve would have to rebalance a lot of weapons where that is the only downside

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm liking how the jetpack works in theory for the Pyro, but jeez louise, nothing but trouble with the Dragon's Fury

everyone's using one and holy poo poo what were they thinking with this dang thing

it's definitely a cool weapon because it's heck of strong and is going to suck horribly once they get around to nerfing it two years from now

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Jinh posted:

Crits help break stalemates so I'll never vote to be rid of them in pub servers. And they reward good players more than bad ones since the crit chance changes depending on how much you're damaging and healing.

this means they do the opposite of what you said they do

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

nerdbot posted:

re: crits I kinda feel like the #1 reason they still exist is because Valve would have to rebalance a lot of weapons where that is the only downside

i think crits still exist because the only way the 4 engies huddled up in the corner on Badwater are going to die is to a crit roller landing at their feet, since no way in hell are people going to play medic, let alone organize a good uber push in 80% of servers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay after seeing this I'll agree that the new Pyro weapons are probably OP. (Skip to around 19 minutes.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJeY5UGIgmQ&t=1157s
Absolutely tearing through MvM with it.

The only counter against a posse of pyros is to catch them at range before it's too late?