Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Nordic Netflix has City up to episode 18 right now. Is it technically season 3-4 if one counts from 2012 onwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Xelkelvos posted:

Idk if it's true with Terrace House, but with the American version of those shows, alcohol was basically on tap all of the time and people were either pushed into drama or edited to appear as such.
That's true in the Japanese version too, a lot of people are almost always seen drinking but they rarely ever show people out-of-control drunk and usually just show the house guests drunk if they've built up the courage to ask someone about a relationship. In season 2 they only even showed/implied two couples having sex but it was done very tastefully and not like big brother where you see a night vision cam of blankets moving up and down.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Champ becoming a luchador is great. He really is the best character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SunshineMoonRX/status/920084634205122562

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/SpecialForm12/status/920123269767974914

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's on the Western side of things, but starting on the 24th, an officially licensed Power Rangers tabletop RPG is going to be streaming on Twitch. There's going to be a special extension that will allow slight audience participation, and the cast includes, Peter Sudarso, the Ninja Steel Blue, Paul Schrier, Bulk, and voice actress Christina Vee.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

about 20 episodes deep into Agito. This is my second Kamen Rider experience(Faiz/555 was my first) and I'm enjoying the similarities. Its a lot like the Ultramans during the "dark" period where they couldn't reference the original material so they kept retelling the same Ultraman story but with different twists.

Houjo is a real dick and I cheer every time he almost dies.

The 3 Kamen Riders are tragically batshit in 3 different ways and I dig that.

coconono fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 19, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

coconono posted:

about 20 episodes deep into Agito. This is my second Kamen Rider experience(Faiz/555 was my first) and I'm enjoying the similarities. Its a lot like the Ultramans during the "dark" period where they couldn't reference the original material so they kept retelling the same Ultraman story but with different twists.

My condolences

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Xarbala posted:

My condolences

I'd read the mangas summarrizing the first Kamen Riders and dug that. I was prepared for moody boys but the Faiz boys. Yeesh. Those riders couldn't decide whether to throw down or make out.

I mostly liked the world building. It really made me want to write my own Kamen Rider story for funsies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm 73 episodes deep in the original Kamen Rider.

I'm going to be up front here, I never thought I'd like Hongo all that much.

There's a symptom in Toku, and in hero franchises in general, where the first hero is the most boring and safest one.

Ultraman that's sort of true- the human alter ego, Hayato, is just the most boring human being alive. He has no personality, no wants or desires, and he's not even like the most competent member. That'd be Fujiko, who can do everything he can do and also run communications. Ultraman HIMSELF, the alien, is a far more fascinating character because he is a giant rear end in a top hat and needlessly creepy and inhuman, but he's only ever around for like 3 minutes at most.

GoRanger that's super true, but Sentai in general didn't really figure out how to write characters that were much more than The Good Guys With Archetypical But Toned Down Quirks until WAY late.

Kamen Rider? Kamen Rider is the total reverse of that. Hongo, Kamen Rider Ichigo, is a fantastic goddamn character and has quickly shot up to be one of my favorite Riders of all time. The dude is always on his feet, always super serious, right up until he gets to throw down with Shocker. At that point he's all laughs and just spends most of his time loving with the villains as hard as he can. He is a total troll who originates the 'gets the villain to look for him by making a noise' thing that Stronger would come into later on

Only instead of singing or anything, he just laughs at the fuckers until they realize where he is. At which point he is a nightmare to behold.

Fun fact, do not bring swords to try and fight Hongo with. He will steal them, he will dual wield them, and he will stab the poo poo out of you with them. Hongo is also just hyper competent and badass, pushing through things that would put Ichimonji, Kamen Rider Nigo, down for the count. At one point Ambassador Hell has Hongo dead to rights in a base that explodes, and Hell KNOWS FOR A FACT that Hongo got out and it's not even worth checking the base for his body. The second movie is entirely Ambassador Hell and Hongo going I Know You Know I know You Know I KNOW YOU KNOW at each other until everything explodes

This is in comparison to poor Ichimonji, who is just...boring.

As a Rider, he's always super serious and doesn't play around with the villains at all, despite the fact that he's the one that started the posing to transform and posing in the middle of battle.

He's also just frequently caught off guard or isn't as competent as Hongo.

it does not help that Ichimonji's run on the show was generally kind of terrible, with boring flat episodes that were too safe and too kid friendly for the tone the show adopted before and after. There were multiple episodes of Ichimonji's run that were Kid A Day plots where no one died except the bad guys and SOME TIMES NOT EVEN THEN

Hongo is almost always having to deal with actual Shocker plans, or Shocker attempting to kill him.

The key is seeing how important Taki, the FBI guy, is. During Ichimonji's run, Taki is basically his equal, saving his life as much as Ichimonji saves his. Taki can't fight the MOTW effectively, but otherwise he picks up a lot of slack for Ichimonji and saves the day quite a few times.

In Hongo's run, Taki is barely any better than one of the foot soldiers who either accomplishes nothing, might as well have not even been there, or is actively a danger to Hongo and others. He also gets captured A *LOT*.

Its no wonder Ishinomori came up with a new character to be Kamen Rider V3- Taki would have just gotten kidnapped a dozen more times.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If you're looking at it from a western perspective, consider Takeshi Hongo is Japan's Tommy Oliver and it makes way more sense.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Related:

https://twitter.com/MistressDove/status/913289759472136192

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hyper RPG is talking more about their official Power Rangers RPG and these are some suits.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 21, 2017

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Setting the rpg in the timeforce police academy is actually a pretty dope idea.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It would be hilarious if these were the suits for Patoranger and we didn’t know it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://clips.twitch.tv/PatientSweetTildeYee

There's even a theme song. If anything, you need a closer look at Paul Schrier's loving muttonchops.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They should have just continued to call him Bulk. Just amend the canon and say that at some point in life, Bulk travelled to the year 3000 and became a Power Ranger.

It’s not like it’s any less ridiculous than what Bulk has done in life already.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Why couldn't the movie suits look like that

Those are some nice suits. They manage to show respect to the Zyu/MMPR designs while still having a bit of their own flavor. Also, the return of fat yellows/debut of fat yellows in the west is a cause for celebration! Everybody eat curry tonight!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They were designed by Peter Sudarso, the Blue on Ninja Steel and the Red on this.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The vertical jagged two-tone design reminds me of the Dekaranger/SPD suits.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OnimaruXLR posted:

Why couldn't the movie suits look like that

Those are some nice suits. They manage to show respect to the Zyu/MMPR designs while still having a bit of their own flavor. Also, the return of fat yellows/debut of fat yellows in the west is a cause for celebration! Everybody eat curry tonight!

Because they wouldn't work for a big budget movie we've gone over this

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngBMNsM79is&t=134s

:psyduck:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Wow. That's a thing they did.

ARE YOU READY!?

W!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, I’m not tuned in enough on this fandom to know why that video is notable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Have you...not seen W?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

they modded(?) the build belt to take the W USB drives and return the sounds for the W fullbottle set

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

You should watch W. It's very good. You should also watch Build. It's pretty okay so far.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Motto posted:

they modded(?) the build belt to take the W USB drives and return the sounds for the W fullbottle set

Apparently they remodeled the Memories themselves to have Full Bottle parts on the back. That's what they said in the comments anyway.

I wonder if we'll see the actual Rider Bottles debut in the next movie.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl8UdXklW04

He also did a remodel to make it light up in a more appealing way. Dude is a wizard.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Waffleman_ posted:

Have you...not seen W?

It's on my list, but Ex-Aid was the first thing I watched and these shows are almost 50 episodes long with a shitload of extras. Presently between season 1 and 2 of Amazons, and taking a break for KR The First/Next films before going into that. And in the meantime there's Build/Kyuranger so yeah.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

holy poo poo

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm watching KR The First right now, and man I see what you guys meant about Inoue.

I like that these robot guys stored both of their motorcycles somewhere on this boat though.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Craptacular! posted:

Build is almost a tribute to Double in many, many ways.

e: the biggest difference is that W enemies were akin to drug addictions and Build were people who were forced into taking drugs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

In the middle of Build, but they've basically confirmed that Sento is a bodyswapped Katsuragi at this point.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RealFoxy posted:

Build is almost a tribute to Double in many, many ways.

e: the biggest difference is that W enemies were akin to drug addictions and Build were people who were forced into taking drugs.

No the biggest difference is there's comparable very little homo-romantic overtones between our two protags.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Build is so fuckin' good, y'all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No the biggest difference is there's comparable very little homo-romantic overtones between our two protags.
'Fewer homoromantic overtones than W' isn't saying much. You could change every instance of 'partner' in that show with 'boyfriend' and it would change absolutely nothing.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
I love the fireworks every time night rogue transforms.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

By the way, the date of Akihito's descent from the throne and the end of the Heisei era is set for March 2019, which is a fair bit later than what was originally thought. This means that Build will still be the final Rider series to air entirely in the Heisei era, but that the next series will be about half and half into each period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Waffleman_ posted:

By the way, the date of Akihito's descent from the throne and the end of the Heisei era is set for March 2019, which is a fair bit later than what was originally thought. This means that Build will still be the final Rider series to air entirely in the Heisei era, but that the next series will be about half and half into each period.

The final Heisei rider is incapacitated midway through the show and is replaced by the first rider of the new era in basically the same suit.