Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL people, there are demos for Kirby Battle Royale and New Style Boutique 3 up on the eShop today.

NA people, you're not getting Kirby until next year and you may not get Style Savvy at all.

Argh I will have to avoid the new style boutique demo or else I will get sucked in again......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

irlZaphod posted:

Are NA really not getting Kirby Battle Royale till next year?! That's very odd.

What’s odd is that it’s apparently a retail release. I thought it was another eShop only game. Guess it’ll have a decent amount of content.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA people, you're not getting Kirby until next year and you may not get Style Savvy at all.

I was surprised with how they handled Fashion Forward, I thought the first 3DS game did well enough but physical copies of FF dried up super quick and was seemingly never reprinted.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week's drop

3DS
    Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth ($ ? / £34.99 / €39.99) [NA eShop] [PAL eShop]
    Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth chronicles the quest of a new adventurer as he or she attempts to reach the crown of the towering Yggdrasil Tree. For it is said that whoever braves the dangers of the dreaded Yggdrasil Labyrinth and reaches the summit will have their greatest wish fulfilled. Personalise your party to work to your advantage! With endless character customisation, adventurers will cast and create their own party from four unique races and 10 different classes to explore the uncharted labyrinth.

Galaxy Blaster: Code Red ($1.49) [NA eShop]
    In GALAXY BLASTER CODE RED, you must defend your ship from the oncoming alien ships. Move your paddle left or right then tap the screen to fire the blaster. Be careful, if the target enters your base, or you miss the targets too many times, it's game over!

New 3DS
    Fire Emblem Warriors ($39.99 / £39.99 / €44.99) [NA eShop] [PAL eShop]
    Clash with legions of soldiers and fierce monsters as Marth, Xander, Corrin, and other fan-favourite Fire Emblem heroes in Fire Emblem Warriors for Nintendo Switch. Unleash over-the-top-powerful Dynasty Warriors-style moves as renowned and original Fire Emblem characters, and issue strategic commands in the midst of battle as you fend off hordes of enemies with stunning attacks.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SelenicMartian posted:

The final story-related puzzle in Lady Layton is a 4-piece jigsaw.

Story-wise there's no point where the game tries to make you give a poo poo, even in a ham-fisted time-travelly way.

And the ending of the final case is idiotic.

How much crap is there near and under London in this series by now?

This is making me sad, I love Katrielle's design, but her game seems to be bad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s odd is that it’s apparently a retail release. I thought it was another eShop only game. Guess it’ll have a decent amount of content.

It has 10 different game types plus online play, it's a substantial game.

Fawf posted:

I was surprised with how they handled Fashion Forward, I thought the first 3DS game did well enough but physical copies of FF dried up super quick and was seemingly never reprinted.

Those games seem to do way better in Europe than NA for no particular reason.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm working my way through the last dungeon in FE Echoes now (just in time for FE Warriors...) The fight with Berkut was a bit ropey for a few minutes, I had to Turnwheel a couple of times with the Fiends and Dread Fighters (can I just say for the record, gently caress Dread Fighters. They are so annoying). Then, after I took out Rinea, it felt like a bit of a stalemate since the bits of damage I chipped away from him were being restored every turn. I managed to land a couple of crits which did a bit of damage. Oh, and I remembered also that I had Arts. :downs: Well, I remembered that I had them, but a lot of them would have resulted in me losing the unit had I used it.

Also, while the dungeon isn't quite a maze, it's kind of a dick move to have a path in there which just leads to a dead end. I was initially going down there, but after the cutscene with Celica and Jedah played I thought that was the way to go. So I turned around and went down the actually correct path, and fought Berkut. Since that fight was there, I felt that was probably the way to go, so I investigated the other way, only to find mostly nothing.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

I'm working my way through the last dungeon in FE Echoes now (just in time for FE Warriors...) The fight with Berkut was a bit ropey for a few minutes, I had to Turnwheel a couple of times with the Fiends and Dread Fighters (can I just say for the record, gently caress Dread Fighters. They are so annoying). Then, after I took out Rinea, it felt like a bit of a stalemate since the bits of damage I chipped away from him were being restored every turn. I managed to land a couple of crits which did a bit of damage. Oh, and I remembered also that I had Arts. :downs: Well, I remembered that I had them, but a lot of them would have resulted in me losing the unit had I used it.

Also, while the dungeon isn't quite a maze, it's kind of a dick move to have a path in there which just leads to a dead end. I was initially going down there, but after the cutscene with Celica and Jedah played I thought that was the way to go. So I turned around and went down the actually correct path, and fought Berkut. Since that fight was there, I felt that was probably the way to go, so I investigated the other way, only to find mostly nothing.

I got lost in that dungeon for ages, got so annoyed at all the random battles ended up consulting online maps. I also used the warp panels wrong and got sent to the opposite end of the dungeon....

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah when I got to the Warp panels I just looked it up on Serenes Forest. I took the wrong warp to get the lance though. Currently making my way back now. The random battles are a little annoying, but some of them can be avoided thankfully.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The dead end is actually where you get sent to if you mess up the teleporter panels, IIRC.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

So I finished Fire Emblem Echoes last night, and wanted to post some thoughts about it...

As I've mentioned already, I got it at launch, played it fairly solidly at first and got to Act 3. But then half way through Celica's Act 3, I put it down when I got a game over during the battle with Grieth. I only intended on putting it down for like a day or two because I didn't feel like replaying the map again immediately, but because I'm a terrible person it ended up being left for 3 or 4 months instead. :v:

Anyway, there was a lot of stuff I liked about it. The 2 different armies was a pretty good feature, although it would have been nice if you got a dungeon at the end where you could use both, rather than just the final battle. Celica's dudes don't really get a look in during Act 5. It's kind of cool also that you get a lot of villagers who you can class however you want, if that's your thing. I was boring, and just used the recommendations in the OP of the Echoes thread, based on their growth rates and spell lists. :v: The Promotion system was both good and bad, it was good that you should just promote as soon as the new class was available, but having to trek to a Mila statue to do so was a bit annoying.

Something which gets complained about a lot with the game is the map design, and I'd probably agree there. I think later on some of them become a bit more interesting, but the first few acts are just a lot of open areas with some terrain thrown in like trees or bushes or whatever. I think Celica's maps get a bit overblown though... the desert ones are a bit annoying and slow (one of the reasons why I didn't want to immediately replay Grieth's map was because the start of it just takes so bloody long). As far as I remember though, there are only 3 or 4 like that maybe. The Swamp ones aren't too bad either really, the first one is a little slow because there's a large section of swamp which you have to cross. I only felt there were 1, maybe 2, really bad ones there. The skirmishes and random battles in dungeons do get a little bit annoying too, sometimes you can avoid them but when you can't, fighting the same set of enemies on the same map over and over again feels like a bit of a drag.

The characters I liked a lot for the most part. The Support conversations were pretty nice little bits of development, although some of them seemed a bit pointless. The amount of VA though was great, having played a bit of Awakening and Fates where there's so much "Yes" / "Huh?" / "You have my sword" placeholder dialogue, it was really great that practically everything in Echoes was voice acted. I loved a lot of the Critical Hit snippets too, especially Delthea's "Seeya!"

Overall, I thought it was very enjoyable. There's some good stuff in there, and some bad stuff, but the good definitely shines through. I've played bits of Fire Emblem/Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones, Awakening and Fates, I think at some point now I'll go back and see about finishing those off (probably not quite now though, I feel like playing something a bit different after a solid few weeks of Echoes).

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Been thinking of grabbing a 2DS now they’re much cheaper, probably just going to play the odd bit of Pokemon or Phoenix.

Thing is a 2DS XL is £130, and that’s the standard price on its own. A 2DS is £75 and includes either NSMB2 or Mario Kart. Given it’s not going to have especially heavy use, would I be missing out on much if I opt to stick with the cheaper 2DS?

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Ludicro posted:

Been thinking of grabbing a 2DS now they’re much cheaper, probably just going to play the odd bit of Pokemon or Phoenix.

Thing is a 2DS XL is £130, and that’s the standard price on its own. A 2DS is £75 and includes either NSMB2 or Mario Kart. Given it’s not going to have especially heavy use, would I be missing out on much if I opt to stick with the cheaper 2DS?

If you just want Pokémon and phoenix wright then a 2ds will do the job. If you want to play any games which require a new 2ds or new 3ds (of which there aren't many too be honest, xenoblade, fire emblem warriors and SNES games on eshop) get the new 2ds XL.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just spend the extra money and get yourself the new2DS instead of the old model.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

nerd_of_prey posted:

If you just want Pokémon and phoenix wright then a 2ds will do the job. If you want to play any games which require a new 2ds or new 3ds (of which there aren't many too be honest, xenoblade, fire emblem warriors and SNES games on eshop) get the new 2ds XL.

You forgot Hyrule Warriors.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

nerd_of_prey posted:

Can’t say any or those New 2/3DS games appeal to me so the only thing that makes me ponder is the SNES VC. So do I spend an extra 70% to have a facility I might never use?

I might go and have a feel of both devices and see which is best for me ergonomically. It’s given me something to think about, cheers.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

Ludicro posted:

Can’t say any or those New 2/3DS games appeal to me so the only thing that makes me ponder is the SNES VC. So do I spend an extra 70% to have a facility I might never use?

I might go and have a feel of both devices and see which is best for me ergonomically. It’s given me something to think about, cheers.

The SNES virtual console is pretty anemic, so unless there are a few games you're really dying for on it I'd save the money.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

TheThirst posted:

The SNES virtual console is pretty anemic, so unless there are a few games you're really dying for on it I'd save the money.

Yeah I never had one as a child (first console was a PlayStation), so it’s not like there’s the nostalgia factor. The 3D effect gives me horrendous eye strain and headaches so unless I can find a cheap used one it’s a 2D in one form or the other all the way.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ludicro posted:

Just grab a regular 2DS. I think the New is only really worth it if you plan on installing homebrew.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I'd get the New 3DS normal-size on a Black Friday or something, there will probably be one for 100 bucks and you can make it look how you want

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Spellman posted:

I'd get the New 3DS normal-size on a Black Friday or something, there will probably be one for 100 bucks and you can make it look how you want

There was a deal last Black Friday to get the black or white Mario ones for $100, but I kinda doubt Nintendo is going to do something like this again.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They stopped production on the regular sized New 3DS.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

A shame since it’s probably the best version of the hardware over it.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yea, but I'd bet a lot of stores have some stock lying around, I'd check Amazon on that day

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

XL or nothing.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The regular New 3DS is on the Nintendo refurb store for $125. That’s the model to buy IMO, it has colored buttons

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's what the OG model should've been

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The regular size new 3DS is way more aesthetically pleasing because of the buttons, customizable faceplates, etc. but the XL has a bigger screen so :shrug:

Also I got the Fire Emblem Fates special edition one and I will never let it go.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Here's the thing though: 3ds games look like utter poo poo blown up on a larger screen

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Here's the thing though: 3ds games look like utter poo poo blown up on a larger screen

it's a good thing the XL is exactly the right size, then. any larger and they'd look bad.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
I like my new 3ds XL and I also liked the 3ds XL I had before it. XL all the way. The only thing I am not that keen in is actual 3D so if the new 2ds XL had come out sooner I probably would've got that

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sea Sponge Run posted:

They don't look great on any screen, thankfully they play great on any screen.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

They don't look great on any screen, thankfully they play great on any screen.

This guy gets it

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I didn't see it earlier but Nintendo of America put up a bunch of refurbished regular-size N3DS units up on their own online store for $125.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

edit: Wow, nevermind, my cold medication is making me read poo poo that is not there on the game case. I totally misread the Japanese game case for the Strange Journey remake and thought it was Nu3DS exclusive.

One thing is an actual fact, though, the game's releasing on Japan with a special 25th SMT Anniversary edition aside the standard release. No idea what the former comes with, though.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 22, 2017

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh yeah, also coming out this week in Japan, a Rune Factory 4 re-release in a cheaper packaging. They also decided to make a pack with Rune Factory 3 and some audio CDs.

It's available to preorder from Play-Asia and other places. And here I thought the company behind this series had died off years ago, guess someone got the rights.

Additionally, the new Style Boutique game or Girls Mode 4 is getting weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPKkhUKfH88

I can't imagine they will be localizing songs for the European release.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Guy that wanted a lovely old 2DS, why too that route when you can get this hotness?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KRDRQG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_iBC7zbR9MNZQW

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
SNES Edition 3DS XL is up for preorder on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Classic-Style/dp/B076KRDRQG

Comes with Super Mario Kart SNES VC!

Edit: and beaten, jeez.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

That is so hideous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

irlZaphod posted: