Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

It's time to admit the first one wasn't that good and 2014 was just a dire year where people were desperate for games.

Who was desperate? I was busy getting the Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns platinum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think I played Reaper of Souls for most of 2014.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dark Souls II also came out that year and I played like 150 hours of it even though it's a not great dark souls game. I think it did at least

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The second greatest fighting game of all time, Guilty Gear Xrd, launched in 2014. It would take a few years to reach the quality it has now but vanilla XRd is a monumentally better game than LOTR assassins creed

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've always maintained that Fallout 3 and New Vegas are both really good. I mean New Vegas should of been better in about every way but I don't think Obsidian is actually that good at designing open worlds, or at least not as much as Bethesda. Bethesda is really good about designing maps that have a lot things to see in almost every nook and cranny. They design with the intent that the player will want to go almost anywhere they can see. Obsidian by contrast designed New Vegas heavily around the hub areas. There's not much of interest in the outskirts and it doesn't reward exploration as much, especially when there isn't a quest involved. The structure of the world is also just flat out inferior; Fallout 3 is a mostly open map with basically no barriers outside of the city ruins. New Vegas has a much more constrained map that has a lot of empty areas and inexplicable invisible barriers. It was much less satisfying to explore since I was constantly running into them.

Of course the writing in Fallout 3 is trash compared to New Vegas, but I was still able to have fun roleplaying with it. Fallout 4 didn't grab me the way either Fallout 3 or New Vegas did though. I just couldn't enjoy being forced into the character role they assign to you. I tried my best to ignore it but the reality is its just much more limiting from an RP standpoint which makes repeat runs so much less interesting.

In Training posted:

Dark Souls II also came out that year and I played like 150 hours of it even though it's a not great dark souls game. I think it did at least

Actually its the best Souls game.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

In Training posted:

The second greatest fighting game of all time, Guilty Gear Xrd, launched in 2014. It would take a few years to reach the quality it has now but vanilla XRd is a monumentally better game than LOTR assassins creed

neither of those games have FRCs though

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yardbomb posted:

Most game leaks came from there first.

This has never ever been the case. Leaks come from reddit or 4/2chan.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i really liked fallout 3 while i was playing it up until the point where i played new vegas and realized what a poo poo game fallout 3 was

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i really liked fallout 3 while i was playing it up until the point where i played new vegas and realized what a poo poo game fallout 3 was

Pretty much.

I still have a soft spot for Oblivion, though I probably wouldn’t play it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the thing most people give fallout 3 poo poo for, aside from the writing, is that it's a bunch of samey industrial areas with lots of tunnels and sewers, and it's like, actually that's one of the things the designers got right, it's one of the few games where exploring a blowed up city/tunnels felt v. cool

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

Who was desperate?

giant bomb

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Man Tekken 7 is such a drat good game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My 2017 top 5 so far, so not counting Mario since it will wind up in the top 5, in no order:

Tekken 7
Under Night In Birth EXE Late [ST]
Splatoon 2
Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone
Nier Automata

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is also p. spoopy

I can see why someone called it a walking simulator, there's a lot more focus on scripting the environment for shock moments and less on engaging systems.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

I mean, Nitroplus Blasterz was a better fighting game than Street Fighter 5 but guess what got all the prestigious gamer awards in 2016?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Tekken 7 is a pretty good walking simulator if you like walking backwards and sideways in quick succession

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Saint Freak posted:

It's time to admit the first one wasn't that good and 2014 was just a dire year where people were desperate for games.

I admit nothing! It was fantastic! SUFFER ME NOW! :black101:

The original was and is a great game, though the sequel really has outdone the orc sim aspects of it by an absurd degree. Everything it lacks in gameplay depth and all the rough edges that SoW has are way overshadowed by the scale and scope of it all.

I just fought my way through a group of random named dudes who I killed a week and a half ago when the game first came out. There was zero indication that that was gonna happen when I fought them the first time, and there’s so many little things that your enemies remember when you fight them again that it just turns into this crazy awesome personalised experience.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

I mean, Nitroplus Blasterz was a better fighting game than Street Fighter 5 but guess what got all the prestigious gamer awards in 2016?

npb is amazing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm glad the game where super sonico, heart aina from arcana heart and homura from senran kagura beat each other up turned out to be a genuinely good fighting game

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It wouldn't start when I tried to play it so I'm going to have to give it a steam thumbs down, not recommended.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only thing I'm mad at in 2014 was that Dragon Age Inquisition usurped Bayonetta 2 / Rusty's Real Deal in most GOTY lists, which is massively hosed up. The tail end of that year was when PS4 actually got good poo poo but even by itself Shadow of Mordor was neat for the Nemesis System.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DLC Inc posted:

the only thing I'm mad at in 2014 was that Dragon Age Inquisition usurped Bayonetta 2 / Rusty's Real Deal in most GOTY lists, which is massively hosed up. The tail end of that year was when PS4 actually got good poo poo but even by itself Shadow of Mordor was neat for the Nemesis System.

Looking at the state of NeoGaf's politics and their understanding of critical theory that infests their "PoliGAF," I can't say I'm surprised that a Bioware game won.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Internet Kraken posted:

Probably Reddit :shepface:

I actually consider going to Reddit sometimes just because I know the communities there can be so much more active, especially when it comes to interaction with actual devs. The layout of the site confuses my old brain too much though.

Yeah, the way threads are organized on a forum like this just seems like the most intuitive way to have meaningful (to the extent that one can have that online) conversations. Maybe this is the threshold where I am gonna fuckin' age out of the internet

Reddit is good for skimming news but the comment structure doesn't make it easy to follow a thread of conversation. Twitter is completely schizophrenic and fragmented. Discords are pretty insular and the chat format doesn't have the kind of permanence where writing even a medium-sized paragraph flows well, and you can't search for someone's posts as easily as you can here

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Looking at the state of NeoGaf's politics and their understanding of critical theory that infests their "PoliGAF," I can't say I'm surprised that a Bioware game won.

Please continue.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The person who compared neogaf to gamefaqs 2.0 is pretty much on the money, it really does seem like a place that'd have Tali's Sweat or Lightning's Toe Hair posts

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

Lightning's Toe Hair posts

Do I even wanna know

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

Do I even wanna know

It is exactly what it sounds like, and no you do not

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/pwnmanexe/status/921957986314145793

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CJacobs posted:

Lightning's Toe Hair posts

tali sweat i know but what is lightning's toe hair because i get the impression you aren't just making this up :justpost:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Okay I guess you do want to know

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/681990-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii/68490517?page=1

gamefaqs.png

edit: and according to other responses in that thread it was the second time that dude's posted that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Frontal Cleft of the Venus Area

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I take back everything I said about the possibility of meaningful conversations on this forum.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

homeless snail posted:

The Frontal Cleft of the Venus Area

November Games Chat Thread: Lightning has no hair in her ear.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008

Olive! posted:

Has Neogaf ever been relevant? This isn't my hot take or anything, I genuinely can't remember a time where Neogaf was a popular and renowned site.

It used to have insiders, leaks, and NPD data. On the OT side it had a pretty good political community (PoliGAF) although they went crazy in the tank for Hillary.

I'll miss it. Glad I remembered I had an old account here though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
november games chat: for those that have watched bible black take a character like imari as an example

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah gaming podcasts on occasion would discuss news that "someone posted on NeoGAF"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

is it true that silent hill origins inexplicably makes lisa a giant rear end in a top hat i don't think i'll get around to that one for a long while

Silent Hill Origins is what happens when a publisher goes 'here's a bunch of CGI the last guys spent two years making, we want a finished game in six months or you don't get paid' to a developer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Silent Hill Origins is really good because you can carry infinite portable TV sets in your pockets and chuck them at shadow monsters

edit: It also is the only game in the whole series where bare-knuckle brawling with monsters is possible and a legitimate strategy, as opposed to Downpour where you have the strength of an anemic child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Taintrunner posted:

Inquisition was real good though.

• Locked thread