Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Arsonide posted:

Been reading the Total War subreddit and they are absolutely pissed about that campaign start screen. It's a campaign start screen...I mean how good can it get.

I think it's just like, communal outrage trickling over from yesterday's outrage about the Mortal Empires map size.

When Mortal Empires hits they will be upset about Norsca, then when Norsca hits they will be upset about the color of one of the Norscan hats. It will always be something.

It looks dumb, and has less information then the WH1 screen.

We've lost lore, character information, and now have a loving scroll wheel. It's just going to get worse as more races are added as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Blinks77 posted:

Ohhh, i don't think it's a problem. I mean, it's vs the AI. Once your on multiple tier 4 minor settlements you've basically stabilised and it's just seeing out the game. I just find the results funny, this isn't even using agents or actually really optimising. I may need to check to see just how far i could get it actually. Maybe with Tiranoc or something.

Interestingly seems that the public order bonuses can flip. Naggarond's actually gaining public order for having so many slaves and they never decrease. I don't think they're increasing though, tricky to check.

It is a bit funny that it scales so hard with them, I don't think anything else really approaches that level of snowballing so if it turns out its making the DE AI loving insanely strong I'll have to address it probably. So far so good though. I think Naggarond is a bit of special case because the Naggarond major settlement tree has a bunch of stacking multipliers as well.

The public order things sounds hilarious, let me know of any weird overflow problems though if they start breaking. Although the tier 4 only adds like 500 slave capacity over the tier 3s, so it shouldn't really be breaking anything that wasn't already broken.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I just realized how important chevrons are in multiplayer. Basically every melee unit below 1000 gold should have at least 1-2 pips of vet on it at a minimum.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Rookersh posted:

We've lost lore, character information, and now have a loving scroll wheel. It's just going to get worse as more races are added as well.

I agree, it sucks that it doesn't have that lore and especially map start position info. And the scroll wheel is gonna be a pain with so many lords. I preferred when it was organized by faction, but I guess it's easier to compare?

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
So I have played Skaven and Dark Elves. Both are pretty sweet, but have serious loyalty issues, which is in keeping with the lore I guess. Right after finishing the tutorial for each race, I am two turns from having a revolt in my capital. The tips/advisor geezer points out the loyalty is a thing, and that I should deal with it, but he never explains how to deal with it.

Is there some pre-emptive measure I can take, or do I just wait for the revolt and then crush it. Are revolts a big thing, or not a big thing? Should I worry about them, I guess is what I mean...because none of this is explained in game.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Arsonide posted:

So I have played Skaven and Dark Elves. Both are pretty sweet, but have serious loyalty issues, which is in keeping with the lore I guess. Right after finishing the tutorial for each race, I am two turns from having a revolt in my capital. The tips/advisor geezer points out the loyalty is a thing, and that I should deal with it, but he never explains how to deal with it.

Is there some pre-emptive measure I can take, or do I just wait for the revolt and then crush it. Are revolts a big thing, or not a big thing? Should I worry about them, I guess is what I mean...because none of this is explained in game.

They are a source of free xp and magic items. Crush those rebels.

In the first game you'd want to instigate rebellion by raiding your own provinces, regardless of faction, due to how lucrative they'd end up. That is no longer the case, due to the penalties for raiding, unless you are Skaven.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Arsonide posted:

The way revolts work is that when the public order of your province hits -100, an enemy army spawns. Each turn the army will muster, gaining more troops, but each turn they muster the province gains 20 public order as malcontents join the rebellion. What this means for you is that it’s often best to wait one or two turns for the public order to go down, and then crush the army for exp/loot/slaves/food.

Obviously you can’t keep an army constantly babysitting each province, to keep public order from dropping that low you can build public order buildings. You can also garrison an army in any town in a province, and the public order will increase from the military presence (the stronger the army the more public order increases)

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Arsonide posted:

Loyalty and Public Order are two different things. All races have to deal with rebellions if public order gets out of hand.

What's unique about Skaven and Dark Elves is that their generals can also desert you if their loyalty gets dangerously low. Basically you keep loyalty high by giving them soldiers/items and letting them win battles, as well as your LL being stronger than they are. Forcing secondary Lords to sit around doing nothing, not giving them soldiers/taking soldiers away, forcing them into losing battles are all things that can cause loss of loyalty.

Re: Public Order. The values for public order in each province can range all the way from +100 to -100. -100 is the point where rebel armies spawn, but camping an army in a settlement for a few turns to get it up to +100 can give you a good buffer if you need to leave the settlement alone for a while. Mostly though you will need to manage public order with buildings. Not just buildings that increase public order but potentially buildings that reduce corruption as even moderate levels of corruption can cause serious public order problems on top of throttling your economy.

madmac fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 22, 2017

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Something like the Attila faction select screen seems like a no-brainer with so many lords and sub-factions. Right now it looks like selecting a Street Fighter.

Race
-> Faction
--> Legendary Lord

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

possible hints to the freelc skaven LL and maybe skaven economy updates/changes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfLCuHSZ-U

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

what the gently caress

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I really wish I would of had a single skaven or dark elf army have low loyalty and rebel since I think it is neat but I have yet to have anything get close thanks to all the pop ups and giving items or winning fights

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Third World Reggin posted:

I really wish I would of had a single skaven or dark elf army have low loyalty and rebel since I think it is neat but I have yet to have anything get close thanks to all the pop ups and giving items or winning fights

I've literally never done anything to intentionally gain or lose loyalty and don't even know what causes it and I've beaten both Skaven and Delf campaigns without a single general turning against me. I think it can be safely ignored.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I can only imagine loyalty becoming an issue on Legendary where you can't reload after losses.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

madmac posted:

Loyalty and Public Order are two different things. All races have to deal with rebellions if public order gets out of hand.

What's unique about Skaven and Dark Elves is that their generals can also desert you if their loyalty gets dangerously low. Basically you keep loyalty high by giving them soldiers/items and letting them win battles, as well as your LL being stronger than they are. Forcing secondary Lords to sit around doing nothing, not giving them soldiers/taking soldiers away, forcing them into losing battles are all things that can cause loss of loyalty.

Re: Public Order. The values for public order in each province can range all the way from +100 to -100. -100 is the point where rebel armies spawn, but camping an army in a settlement for a few turns to get it up to +100 can give you a good buffer if you need to leave the settlement alone for a while. Mostly though you will need to manage public order with buildings. Not just buildings that increase public order but potentially buildings that reduce corruption as even moderate levels of corruption can cause serious public order problems on top of throttling your economy.

Could you game the system with loyalty by having a lovely little tier 1 settlement that a disloyal lord can just hang out in and raid to drive down public order until he can fight the rebels?

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010

Mukip posted:

I just realized how important chevrons are in multiplayer. Basically every melee unit below 1000 gold should have at least 1-2 pips of vet on it at a minimum.

I usually just spend whatever odd cash I have leftover on pips. I know they make your guys a bit stronger but Is there some specific reason I should be investing more in xp?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Winning a fight just have a chance to gain loyalty, its not 100% guaranteed, same with giving them items or recruiting units etc. Also its possible that in the same turn you gain +1 loyalty from recruiting you also lose 1 loyalty from the natural (but random) decay.
I can't confirm if its true but it feels like loyalty has a greater chance to decay in low public order province, but it may just be coincidence(they game doesn't mention this afaik but it also neglects to mention a ton of things in general).

Having lords with low loyalty(I think 3 and lower) has a decent chance to trigger pop up event which has a dilemma that either will net you a point or lose one depending on your choices.
Also those events often have some real fun/cool flavor text in em and sometimes they will even tempt you to sacrifice loyalty by giving you cool stuff like campaign buffs/money/scrolls by taking that option.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

sassassin posted:

How am I supposed to fight skrolk stacks? He melts units down to 1/3 hp (and men) instantly, his catapults fire even when being melee'd, and his infantry doesn't break.

I have nowhere near this trouble with any of the other LLs.

Bring your own artillery and an eagle or two. Bolt throwers set to anti large do work on skaven siege engines. Having enough artillery forces AI combatants to come at you which gives you an opportunity to drop an eagle noble or regular eagles or dragons on his engines to bust them up.

Bolt throwers for both elves are still solid. They aren't war crimes good like skaven artillery, but they are still solid multi purpose arty.

Use your magic as well. Teclis out casts skrolk once he gets levels under him, chain lightning murders rats by the dozen.

His units don't have that much leadership and his scary units like monks are soft and don't have shields and will get shot the gently caress up by your archers.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Pokeylope posted:

I usually just spend whatever odd cash I have leftover on pips. I know they make your guys a bit stronger but Is there some specific reason I should be investing more in xp?

Mainly because they reduced cost to upgrade them, between 3-5% per pip most of the time. This means the most valuable attribute (morale) is cheaper to get. It especially helps with cheap, low morale troops since the bonus to morale is usually +1 per level (sometimes +2), so the cheaper the upgrade (based on base cost of the unit) and the worse their base morale was to start off with, the more noticeable the effect will be on the upgraded unit in sticking around longer in a fight.

The downside is that they reduced melee attack bonuses from veterancy, but increased melee defence bonuses slightly, so cheaper units end up having more morale and defence but won't be much more killy. This makes them cost effective for line holding.

A cheap unit like Skinks is very moddable at their base cost of 300 gold. You could add 2 pips for 31 gold, which makes them a tad more reliable at no appreciable cost increase. Or you can bump them up to morale 60 (from base 55), which costs 82 gold and 5 pips of vet. That just puts them into the mediocre tier of performance for a holding unit in terms of morale, but it's still not too expensive. You could even go all the way up to 9 pips of vet and get +10 morale, putting them at 65 leadership. This makes them comparable to the reliable Dark Elf Bleakswords in terms of staying power (and slightly more expensive than them at 468 gold). Skaven Clanrats also benefit a lot from the morale.

Although some expensive units benefit too. Seems like there's little reason not to pay the 30 gold on Saurus Warrior for at least 1 pip of vet, since they get +2 defence straight away. White Lions get +2 attack and +3 defence for 2 pips f vet, so I'm tempted to do that with them for 61 gold per unit, especially since veterancy continues to work after martial prowess deactivates. Swordmasters get pretty nice bonuses per level, too, if you're made enough to pay the gold.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
And then half the unit gets vaporized by ranged or magical firepower.

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
Thanks for elaborating. I haven't done a ton of multiplayer but leadership is definitely much more important online. I'll have to pay more attention to it next time I play.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I can only imagine loyalty becoming an issue on Legendary where you can't reload after losses.

Not only that, but there are negative traits for repeatedly losing battles, failing agent actions, getting intercepted /ambushed too oxygen, and so forth. If you can't easily save scum your legendary Lord can get bogged down with this stuff which would take time and effort to neutralize.

Spending too long in each type of corruption also gives negative traits that give 2 maluses and 1 little bonus. You have to spend a long time in uncorrupted areas to fix it.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Somebody on Reddit was posting theme forces and how ridiculous they can get. For instance, nothing but Ellyrian Reavers, a lord on a horse, banners that increase speed and so forth just dancing around the field all battle. Or 8 plague catapults and pad the rest out with skaven slaves.

It doesn't seem cheesy because it's such a one trick pony and easy to counter (what's all that cav going to do in a siege) but anyone else do something similar? I'm looking for fun ideas after I wrap up the HE campaign and do Skaven next.

Or Vampire Counts. Or Dwarves. Or Bretonnia...

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just alt tab, force close the game with the task manager and open it again. I've been save scumming legendary since it came out since the autoresolve is a douchebag and I'm lazy. And since random cannonballs one shot my ships in FoTS due to the engine block being completely unarmoured.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Replace final battle skybox with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBLdQ1a4-JI

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Skaven campaign trip report: I read someone say they had the best artillery in the game (better than Dwarves and Empires? no way) and had to try it out. Beelined for the artillery structure and rolled around as suggested, with mostly slaves so I don't feel too bad about the artillery blowiing them up.

Well I don't know if I agree they're the best artillery yet, and I was expecting the warp lightning cannon to be a little more...lightning-ey and less of a plasma gun. But I can't deny that swarming an enemy army with and endless tide of rats and then nuking that maelstorm is both hilarious and effective.

That said, I got absolutely stomped when I tried to put down a skaven rebellion and they had like 8 rat ogres against my all slave army. I blasted about half of them but the rest had enough health to just rampage through everything else, including the artillery line.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

bollywood westerns are so good

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

I would use this mod.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Is there some way to get a breakdown of how much of each trade good you're selling? I'm pretty sure I could do that in 1 and I tried but failed to find a financial breakdown more detailed than my overall per turn/total income and spending. It'd be nice to know when there's a point in upgrading my resources buildings.

I barely squeaked out a win when skrolk plus a near-identical stack jumped Teclis. Turns out robed priest rat is actually very vulnerable to concentrated archer fire and plagueclaw catapults aren't very dangerous when they just take potshots at a phoenix or sit in a forest doing nothing(?). Pestilent breath still collapsed a flank, and if I hadn't been able to drop a clutch armyntok and shoot off skrolk he'd probably have rolled me up.

I like how Malekith's first quest battle can be handled with the standard druchii militia force of spears and darkshards, but Teclis's is gently caress you, rats everywhere (a fair microcosm of his campaign experience at least), now there's bats in your archers and here's a Terrorgheist. Well I don't even want his stupid crown, so there.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Haha that quest battle was great, I had no idea what was going on.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Gitro posted:

Is there some way to get a breakdown of how much of each trade good you're selling? I'm pretty sure I could do that in 1 and I tried but failed to find a financial breakdown more detailed than my overall per turn/total income and spending. It'd be nice to know when there's a point in upgrading my resources buildings.

Open the diplomacy screen, all trade goods you are exporting and importing are shown in the bottom left below your treaties/wars. Hovering over them shows a tooltip that tells you how much you're exporting/importing, and if exporting, how much you're making from it.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Staltran posted:

Open the diplomacy screen, all trade goods you are exporting and importing are shown in the bottom left below your treaties/wars. Hovering over them shows a tooltip that tells you how much you're exporting/importing, and if exporting, how much you're making from it.

Oh thanks, I never thought there was more to that than just showing what the trade goods were.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

i've been listening to the 10 hour version on repeat for quite some time what is wrong with me

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I'm having trouble with my mazdamundi legendary campaign. Invariably I get bogged down around the 4th ritual; with my relatively modest province count starting to hamper my economy to the point where all I can reasonably do is fend off the endless doomstacks that come from whoever happened to declare war on me.

Is it reasonable to try and blitzkrieg Lustria in the early game, or learn to love less expensive troops?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

crime fighting hog posted:

Somebody on Reddit was posting theme forces and how ridiculous they can get. For instance, nothing but Ellyrian Reavers, a lord on a horse, banners that increase speed and so forth just dancing around the field all battle. Or 8 plague catapults and pad the rest out with skaven slaves.

It doesn't seem cheesy because it's such a one trick pony and easy to counter (what's all that cav going to do in a siege) but anyone else do something similar? I'm looking for fun ideas after I wrap up the HE campaign and do Skaven next.

Or Vampire Counts. Or Dwarves. Or Bretonnia...

Saurus oldblood on carnosaur and 19 feral carnosaurs.

:getin:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Gitro posted:

I barely squeaked out a win when skrolk plus a near-identical stack jumped Teclis. Turns out robed priest rat is actually very vulnerable to concentrated archer fire and plagueclaw catapults aren't very dangerous when they just take potshots at a phoenix or sit in a forest doing nothing(?). Pestilent breath still collapsed a flank, and if I hadn't been able to drop a clutch armyntok and shoot off skrolk he'd probably have rolled me up.

I like how Malekith's first quest battle can be handled with the standard druchii militia force of spears and darkshards, but Teclis's is gently caress you, rats everywhere (a fair microcosm of his campaign experience at least), now there's bats in your archers and here's a Terrorgheist. Well I don't even want his stupid crown, so there.

Teclis' quest battle was the one where I eventually figured out that seaboys default to skirmish. I spent the first half of the battle furiously shouting at my army to stop being dicks and running away, then ended up just having them all smash into melee when I twigged.

All the while my sword masters just quietly went around blenderising rats while I forgot about them.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Aurubin posted:

I'm having trouble with my mazdamundi legendary campaign. Invariably I get bogged down around the 4th ritual; with my relatively modest province count starting to hamper my economy to the point where all I can reasonably do is fend off the endless doomstacks that come from whoever happened to declare war on me.

Is it reasonable to try and blitzkrieg Lustria in the early game, or learn to love less expensive troops?

I did a combination of blitzkrieg and confederation. Since the other lizard factions had taken half of Lustria it allowed me to focus on the other half. Of course, I played on Hard, so it might not work on Legendary where there's probably some bullshit rule where asking for a confederation causes all factions to declare war on you.

Also, PIRATES!

Arsonide posted:

Been reading the Total War subreddit and they are absolutely pissed about that campaign start screen. It's a campaign start screen...I mean how good can it get.

I think it's just like, communal outrage trickling over from yesterday's outrage about the Mortal Empires map size.

When Mortal Empires hits they will be upset about Norsca, then when Norsca hits they will be upset about the color of one of the Norscan hats. It will always be something.

People like that will bitch about the smallest things. They'll still play the game though, fighting back the tears as they crack their mouse with rage-fueled strength.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 22, 2017

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I've already done two full campaigns in this game, and at 36 hours it means I've almost played as much as I did of 1 and spent much less!

The new campaign and factions are really fun. Laser lizards are the best thing in any warhammer game.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I feel like Morathi needs a buff or two. Maybe I just suck with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been away from Warhams II for ages.

Is the workshop working now? What are the best mods?

Are the goonmods who did great stuff in Attila and Warhammer I doing stuff in II?

Is Steel Faith any decent?

Has Radious produced Immortal Skavens by now?