Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked Inquisition more than most people here and I still think 'real good' is a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its easy to look good when your sibling is Dragon Age 2.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DA:I fails every single aspect it attempts to do well, from story to representation to combat mechanics to crafting and it’s fascinating to witness in the sense I spent 85 hours trying to see just how poorly they would screw the pooch. The super slow reused herb pickup animation should have been given an award for just how cruel it was.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Inquisition isn’t amazing but if a game manages to hold my interest for that many hours it’s at least edging on pretty good.

The vanilla game ending was so garbage it made me laugh though

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

Silent Hill Origins is what happens when a publisher goes 'here's a bunch of CGI the last guys spent two years making, we want a finished game in six months or you don't get paid' to a developer.
Climax seriously worked some magic making that game as decent as it was.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Team Four Star is teasing a second season of FFVII Abridged, no no no why are you doing this stop.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

A good cat

CJacobs posted:

Silent Hill Origins is really good because you can carry infinite portable TV sets in your pockets and chuck them at shadow monsters

edit: It also is the only game in the whole series where bare-knuckle brawling with monsters is possible and a legitimate strategy, as opposed to Downpour where you have the strength of an anemic child

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Fallout New Vegas has some problems gut given what it had to build off of it’s a miracle it’s so amazing.

I’m spending my weekend playing Stardew Valley and Fire Emblem Warriors and they both rule, South Park looks like it will be good too. Too bad about Shadow of War.

Can you play FE Warriors co-op on two separate switches if you want, or does it have to be same console split screen?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Inquisition definitely holds up better now since Andromeda stunk up the room.

Like, still has god-awful open world mechanics but at least the character writing and world-building isn’t the borefest that ME:A’s was.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Olive! posted:

Goomba

Gloomba

Galoomba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMmrNtibsXY

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My french press broke >:[

First world problems but dammit this is only the second time I've used it.

Maybe that's why it was on sale for 7 bucks at Ross Dress for Less.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I love everything about this picture. Also, I haven't seen it in a while. What's the source anyway?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

raditts posted:

Can you play FE Warriors co-op on two separate switches if you want, or does it have to be same console split screen?

I haven’t seen options for anything other than splitscreen. I played some splitscreen and it’s fun but choppy (espescially compared to performance mode.)

Handheld play is amazing though, wireless local play would be great.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

FirstAidKite posted:

My french press broke >:[

First world problems but dammit this is only the second time I've used it.

Maybe that's why it was on sale for 7 bucks at Ross Dress for Less.

I really need to buy some coffee paraphernalia. I’ve been wanting an electronic grinder and a french press for a long time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Silent Hill Origins is really good because you can carry infinite portable TV sets in your pockets and chuck them at shadow monsters

edit: It also is the only game in the whole series where bare-knuckle brawling with monsters is possible and a legitimate strategy, as opposed to Downpour where you have the strength of an anemic child

Are we not counting Book of Shadows?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nina posted:

I really need to buy some coffee paraphernalia. I’ve been wanting an electronic grinder and a french press for a long time.

Aldi has coffee grinders if you have an aldi near you. They tend to be good generic brands of existing devices.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

new vegas is SO much better than 3 and 4 though that it's the rare case of "the elitist nerds are totally right"

that said, skyrim is about as good as new vegas imo, but for vastly different reasons

skyrim is irredeemable

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

skyrim is irredeemable

its been game of the year for 6 years im pretty sure its good

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The older I get the more I detest open worlders and heavily branched RPGs and the like

I'll happily take the theme park over the sandbox any day of the week

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

The older I get the more I detest open worlders and heavily branched RPGs and the like

where do old rear end CRPGs fall in this categorization system, eg the gold box games, baldur's gate, ultima, more recently divinity original sin

I'm finally getting around to playing serpent in the staglands and that is exactly the kinda game that I feel like playing right now, in this moment, in my final stage of open world rpg ennui. their next game looks rad also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDsRs-r93As

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Those games have one thing in common for me, and it's that I've tried to play them and never successfully really had fun with any of them, going right back 25+ years of gaming I can remember

Same with Planescape Torment, to my eternal and undying shame because I'm told that the writing and everything related to said is 100% fantastic and good writing is something I dearly enjoy

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 22, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

fact that I just realized: the last RPG of any sort that I played through and enjoyed 100% of the time was Undertale, a game with virtually zero actual sidetracking

I guess I'd be the kind of guy who likes VNs. I wanted to take a look at that Literature Club game that's making the rounds, but one of the central conceits of that one is, uh... not safe for me to mull over (which is insanely frustrating btw)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

al-azad posted:

Are we not counting Book of Shadows?

I haven't played it but it looks truly incredible from what I've seen so sure we'll count it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I haven't played it but it looks truly incredible from what I've seen so sure we'll count it

It's actually a decent Diablo-clone that was savaged for spitting in the eye of Silent Hill. And 5 years later the series would continue strong, respected by its parent company.

Ciaphas posted:

fact that I just realized: the last RPG of any sort that I played through and enjoyed 100% of the time was Undertale, a game with virtually zero actual sidetracking

I guess I'd be the kind of guy who likes VNs. I wanted to take a look at that Literature Club game that's making the rounds, but one of the central conceits of that one is, uh... not safe for me to mull over (which is insanely frustrating btw)

Is that conceit anime? If that's the conceit you're missing out on a lot of great stuff like the Phoenix Wright games which sound like you'd disappear into.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Those games have one thing in common for me, and it's that I've tried to play them and never successfully really had fun with any of them, going right back 25+ years of gaming I can remember

Same with Planescape Torment, to my eternal and undying shame because I'm told that the writing and everything related to said is 100% fantastic and good writing is something I dearly enjoy

To be fair, the most fun way to play planescape torment from my experience is to just cheat up your levels from the beginning and play through the game without having to worry about the combat, instead getting to focus entirely on the wonderful writing, worldbuilding, and characters.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

Is that conceit anime? If that's the conceit you're missing out on a lot of great stuff like the Phoenix Wright games which sound like you'd disappear into.

No, it's (spoiler starting at end of act 1 of DDLC, as I gather it) depictions of suicide. I wanted to play (read?) it to see if its depiction of depression is as accurate as I've heard, but I got to the art for that bit (which heavily implies that it was not a clean or painless hanging) and had ti forswear the game from that point, having been informed that it gets worse

You're right about the PW games though for sure, but I think I got badly stuck on some investigation bit in the second game or had to start a case over or something and never got back to the series. And nowadays I don't have a DS or particularly want to deal with tiny screens for gaming anymore, so v:v:v Great writing though.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 22, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

I suspect the issue is probably that doki doki literature club goes into matters of (heavy spoilers) suicide, self-mutilation, mental health

e: seems I was right lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i was gonna wait but i got silent hill 2 working on pcsx2 and now i want to replay it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually if they ported the PW games to a console or the switch or PC then yes I would very probably disappear for several days for each one like I did with Ghost Trick

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

No, it's (spoiler starting at end of act 1 of DDLC, as I gather it) depictions of suicide. I wanted to play (read?) it to see if its depiction of depression is as accurate as I've heard, but I got to the art for that bit (which heavily implies that it was not a clean or painless hanging) and had ti forswear the game from that point forward

You're right about the PW games though for sure, but I think I got badly stuck on some investigation bit in the second game or had to start a case over or something and never got back to the series. And nowadays I don't have a DS or particularly want to deal with tiny screens for gaming anymore, so v:v:v Great writing though.

Understandable. That is indeed worse than anime although some people would tell you otherwise. Those people do not understand what it means to live!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Colonel posted:

i was gonna wait but i got silent hill 2 working on pcsx2 and now i want to replay it

When I tried to get it running on emulation it was busted as all hell- FMV cutscenes were totally gouged, the fog was missing a layer or two, and it slowed down whenever more than one monster was within 500 miles of me. I had a much better experience with the PC port (with the patch that fixes it for resolution and performance, the PC ports of the Silent Hill games are equally busted).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

No, it's (spoiler starting at end of act 1 of DDLC, as I gather it) depictions of suicide. I wanted to play (read?) it to see if its depiction of depression is as accurate as I've heard, but I got to the art for that bit (which heavily implies that it was not a clean or painless death) and had ti forswear the game from that point forward

If you got that far, then you would have already seen the bits talking about depression. Also, yeah, later in the game it is entirely possible to see some dialogue about how she hosed up and instead of decapitating herself like hanging is supposed to do, she spent her last moments desperately clawing at the noose with her fingers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Why do you not want to play the game because characters kill themselves in it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

^ (ed) because i do not handle that very well at all ^

FirstAidKite posted:

If you got that far, then you would have already seen the bits talking about depression. Also, yeah, later in the game it is entirely possible to see some dialogue about how she hosed up and instead of decapitating herself like hanging is supposed to do, she spent her last moments desperately clawing at the noose with her fingers

Yeah mission accomplished in that sense :v: Still wanted to see where else the game was going though because it was also getting Weird With A Capital W and I eat that stuff up, but had to turn away 'round then, so hey yo

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 22, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ciaphas posted:

I think this has less to do with you getting old and a lot more to do with the market being saturated with open world games. They've become increasingly common with very few actually making meaningful additions to the standard formula in any way.

In Training posted:

Why do you not want to play the game because characters kill themselves in it

People with mental health issues usually don't like to be reminded of that stuff during what is supposed to be a leisure activity.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On the opposite side of the spectrum from story driven is highly actiony poo poo like Shadow of Mordor, one of a very small number of exceptions to my distaste for open world games (insofar as SoM can be considered open world, I suppose)

Which is convenient because I juuuust realized Shadow of War is a) a thing and b) is out, and c) is apparently extremely good :eek:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

People with mental health issues usually don't like to be reminded of that stuff during what is supposed to be a leisure activity.

People without mental health issues generally don't either.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

chumbler posted:

Well a lot of people find interest in playing games that tackle those uncomfortable subjects. There are a lot more horror games about that kind of stuff nowadays. People actively grappling with those issues are more likely to be looking for an escape from them though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think maybe it's ok to turn away from something when something depicts depressed teenage girls in hosed up positions dying in horribly hosed up ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chumbler posted:

Well yes but that statement feels a little useless because people don't like being reminded of any unsafe topic, it's why you as a human being feel emotions

edit: Like, nobody LIKES being reminded of suicide, but you not liking it is why it's so effective. So it feels kinda pointless to tack that on. Either way, the more familiar you are with a subject, the more it will affect you in all aspects of life, so it makes sense to me that it might make someone more uncomfortable because of that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 22, 2017

• Locked thread