Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Nobody did that

What are you on about

EDIT: VVVV Ah, welp.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Psycho Landlord posted:

Nobody did that

What are you on about

corvinus very considerately edited his post and i appreciate it

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Sorry Cowcaster, I sometimes get a little too aggressive about that country/era combination.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Corvinus posted:

Sorry Cowcaster, I sometimes get a little too aggressive about that country/era combination.

no big deal and i get it was a joke on the internets and everything i just don’t want terror billy to get the wrong idea

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I hope our boy bj blazcowicz punches a tank with his power armor

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Is there co-op or pvp in this game? it doesn't look like it but I wanted to make sure.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cowcaster posted:

that feature reveal actually worries me because it sounds suspiciously similar to what shadow warrior 2 tried to do and that game was hot poo poo from a butt

I wouldn't say SW2 was a bad game--I enjoyed it--but it certainly wasn't a game for everybody. That being said, that revealed "feature" was only a small part of what defined SW2--and not really one of the core ones--so I doubt that if TNC has that feature as well, it would somehow ruin your enjoyment of the game.

Now if the reveal was the "procedurally generated maps and socketed loot" of SW2, that may have been a pretty big red flag...

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

that feature reveal actually worries me because it sounds suspiciously similar to what shadow warrior 2 tried to do and that game was hot poo poo from a butt

Shadow Warrior 2's big issue is that it tried to replace the linear levels from the first with three big areas that it forced you to repeat over and over for 12 hours. This is still a bunch of linear levels like TNO with that feature being there to mop up collectibles and get extra upgrades. And I guess also there as pseudo-combat arenas for people who liked them in TOB. You don't really have to bother with it.

Also from the stream, in the hub area an arcade machine with Wolfenstein 3D is there and you can play seemingly the entire game. Except its called Wolfenstone 3D and you play as a Nazi Soldier/Elite Hans shooting Kreisau Circle members and fight ~~Terror Billy~~ instead of Hitler.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

GUI posted:

Also from the stream, in the hub area an arcade machine with Wolfenstein 3D is there and you can play seemingly the entire game. Except its called Wolfenstone 3D and you play as a Nazi Soldier/Elite Hans shooting Kreisau Circle members and fight ~~Terror Billy~~ instead of Hitler.

jesus loving christ game of the goddamn millennium

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
im gonna punch the poo poo outta that machine until it breaks

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

GUI posted:

Shadow Warrior 2's big issue is that it tried to replace the linear levels from the first with three big areas that it forced you to repeat over and over for 12 hours. This is still a bunch of linear levels like TNO with that feature being there to mop up collectibles and get extra upgrades. And I guess also there as pseudo-combat arenas for people who liked them in TOB. You don't really have to bother with it.

:lol: that owns! Also lol that Max is a video game savant

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

texaholic posted:

Is there co-op or pvp in this game? it doesn't look like it but I wanted to make sure.

That's a negative, all of the Machinegames Wolfenstein games are single player only.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Cowcaster posted:

i thought that shermans were crappy things

This word is really the crux of the argument, I think. They were disposable, but that's the point of armor - you pay with armor instead of lives. However, they were good at their jobs, as opposed to any number of actually crappy tanks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Corvinus posted:

Edit: A lot of common beliefs about WW2 were influenced or even created by surviving germans/nazis, such as the so-called superior German tanks vs inferior American/Soviet tanks.

And of course German tanks literally didn't have guns big enough to take out Soviet KVs early in the war.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mordja posted:

And of course German tanks literally didn't have guns big enough to take out Soviet KVs early in the war.

Also note one of the first documented (by the Germans) encounters with the T-34.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Unreal_One posted:

This word is really the crux of the argument, I think. They were disposable, but that's the point of armor - you pay with armor instead of lives. However, they were good at their jobs, as opposed to any number of actually crappy tanks.

Yeah a crappy tank violently erupts when struck, killing everyone inside or mechanically fails so much it can't be effectively utilized on the battlefield.

'Runs and protects the people inside' are not qualities that I would ascribe as 'crappy' for a tank.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A lot of the popular impression of the Sherman is coloured by the book Death Traps, a memoir by a guy who was part of a tank maintenance battalion. It did a lot to portray Shermans as, well, death traps, and was quite popular for a while.

The thing is, though, that since the guy's job was to retrieve and repair damaged and destroyed Shermans, that'd be basically the only kind of Sherman he'd see. So you'd have a pretty massive sampling bias right there. Also, he was a liaison officer, mostly responsible for conveying loss reports and suchlike from the armoured units back to the maintenance unit, so he didn't have all that much insight into the technical side of things either (which did not keep him from making sweeping, and wrong, statements about that aspect, mind). Last but certainly not least, long stretches of the book have been straight-up ghostwritten to make things more exciting, and those parts are full of just completely wrong or hugely overblown statements.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xenomrph posted:

That's a negative, all of the Machinegames Wolfenstein games are single player only.

I'd love to see more Wolfenstein multiplayer. RtcW MP was incredible amounts of fun.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

GUI posted:

Okay. Okay. I cannot loving wait for this game holy poo poo. Jesus Christ release it already holy gently caress

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GUI posted:

Ahahahaha gently caress yes :allears:

I can't wait 'til Thursday night!

Anyone know when pre-loading for this becomes available on PS4?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

Shadow Warrior 2 was very good. :colbert:

But their loot system was not so good

Rookersh posted:

meanwhile if you hit a german tank with a faust it was all crew dead, tank in multiple pieces, all nearby nazis also dead from the explosion.

Sounds like the german tanks are also good :v:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

The question now is how does BJ compare to a tank? He is armored by the equivalent of 20 stahlhelms as evidenced by his maximum armor capacity. A 1918 stahlhelm is approximately 1 cm thick, therefore A armored BJ is equivalent to a tank with 200 mm armor plating according to Google a M4 Sherman has 76mm armor on the front glacis, putting BJ well ahead there.

But what of the Nazi tanks? A Panzer IV is the most produced Nazi tank of the war, and has 80mm front armor, well behind BJ. “But TaurusTorus” I hear you say, “that’s from the ‘30’s, what about the late war tanks?” Well to answer your question, a Panzer VIII Maus, the largest Nazi tank, has 220mm front armor, edging out New Order BJ by 20mm. Notice I said New Order, in Old Blood BJ can acquire up to 125 armor or 25 stahlhelms, or 250 mm armor, handily beating the Maus.

But a tank is more than its armor, it also has to kill things, and so does BJ. Let’s compare: a 76mm HVAP round from a Sherman can penetrate 178mm armor, a King Tiger’s 8.8cm gun can penetrate 238mm of armor. BJ’s armaments are more difficult to find statistics on, so let’s start with an easy one, in Wolf ‘09 BJ uses a Panzershreck, capable of penetrating 160mm armor, good but not exceptional. Luckily for BJ he has more in his arsenal, like the Lichenfaust. Now this, I’ll admit, is a bit of a stretch, but experimentally the Lichenfaust is the only weapon that can oneshot the Altered enemies, which can survive at least two Panzershreck rockets, to me that sounds like it is at least twice as good, placing BJ’s armor defeating capabilities at 320mm, besting the Tiger.

Other posters have pointed out that there are logistical components to a tank’s qualities, so let’s compare reliability and mobility through harsh terrain. On the first point, Tigers had a notoriously unreliable final drive requiring constant maintenance. BJ on the other hand requires only dog food for maintenance, and is capable of operating with no logistical support, and, as is seen in New Order, can kill Nazis while unconscious, waking up running them over.

As to terrain, as the Nazis discovered on the eastern front, mud is a powerful enemy to tanks, miring them, neutralizing them. BJ has never been defeated by mud, and in fact is capable of operating underwater and in space, a feature demonstrated by no tank on either side of the war.

In conclusion, the Allies had the supreme tank of WWII: BJ Blazkowicz.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

psychoJ posted:

im gonna punch the poo poo outta that machine until it breaks

I'm gonna break that machine using a nazi's head.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair, between the occult stuff and the super-science stuff, it was the occult stuff that almost succeeded in both Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Wolf09 - were it not for a certain Polish-American curb stomping every Nazi in a 20 mile radius, of course.

SirSamVimes posted:

The occult stuff may have almost succeeded, but the super-science stuff did succeed.

Xenomrph posted:

Sure, but Deathshead in RtCW and Wolf09 didn't know that. Deathshead in 1946 and onward had reason to be smug and talk down to his occult counterparts, Deathshead in 1944-1945 did not.

To chime in on this a couple pages late, I think Wolf09 had the best melding of the science and occult. In RtCW, Strasse and Helga were working on two completely different ideas, whereas in 09, Strasse was using the occult to achieve superscience superiority. I guess the failure there is what made Strasse completely give up on the occult, but maybe how close it came in RtCW was what gave him the idea?

Strasse was a good villain. I'm hoping they can make Engel as interesting. We'll see in LESS THAN A WEEK!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Humerus posted:

To chime in on this a couple pages late, I think Wolf09 had the best melding of the science and occult. In RtCW, Strasse and Helga were working on two completely different ideas, whereas in 09, Strasse was using the occult to achieve superscience superiority. I guess the failure there is what made Strasse completely give up on the occult, but maybe how close it came in RtCW was what gave him the idea?

Strasse was a good villain. I'm hoping they can make Engel as interesting. We'll see in LESS THAN A WEEK!

I liked Engel . She was a weird but mix of genuine scary nazi menace and Elsa shewolf of the ss.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

TaurusTorus posted:

The question now is how does BJ compare to a tank? He is armored by the equivalent of 20 stahlhelms as evidenced by his maximum armor capacity. A 1918 stahlhelm is approximately 1 cm thick, therefore A armored BJ is equivalent to a tank with 200 mm armor plating according to Google a M4 Sherman has 76mm armor on the front glacis, putting BJ well ahead there.

But what of the Nazi tanks? A Panzer IV is the most produced Nazi tank of the war, and has 80mm front armor, well behind BJ. “But TaurusTorus” I hear you say, “that’s from the ‘30’s, what about the late war tanks?” Well to answer your question, a Panzer VIII Maus, the largest Nazi tank, has 220mm front armor, edging out New Order BJ by 20mm. Notice I said New Order, in Old Blood BJ can acquire up to 125 armor or 25 stahlhelms, or 250 mm armor, handily beating the Maus.

But a tank is more than its armor, it also has to kill things, and so does BJ. Let’s compare: a 76mm HVAP round from a Sherman can penetrate 178mm armor, a King Tiger’s 8.8cm gun can penetrate 238mm of armor. BJ’s armaments are more difficult to find statistics on, so let’s start with an easy one, in Wolf ‘09 BJ uses a Panzershreck, capable of penetrating 160mm armor, good but not exceptional. Luckily for BJ he has more in his arsenal, like the Lichenfaust. Now this, I’ll admit, is a bit of a stretch, but experimentally the Lichenfaust is the only weapon that can oneshot the Altered enemies, which can survive at least two Panzershreck rockets, to me that sounds like it is at least twice as good, placing BJ’s armor defeating capabilities at 320mm, besting the Tiger.

Other posters have pointed out that there are logistical components to a tank’s qualities, so let’s compare reliability and mobility through harsh terrain. On the first point, Tigers had a notoriously unreliable final drive requiring constant maintenance. BJ on the other hand requires only dog food for maintenance, and is capable of operating with no logistical support, and, as is seen in New Order, can kill Nazis while unconscious, waking up running them over.

As to terrain, as the Nazis discovered on the eastern front, mud is a powerful enemy to tanks, miring them, neutralizing them. BJ has never been defeated by mud, and in fact is capable of operating underwater and in space, a feature demonstrated by no tank on either side of the war.

In conclusion, the Allies had the supreme tank of WWII: BJ Blazkowicz.

:yeah:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I beat TNO last night. It's a great game overall, I really like a lot of the guns, and I'm really looking forward to TNC. Trying to decide if I'm going to get it right away or not, since I just bought Destiny 2.

There was a bit more gore/body horror than I'm really comfortable with, but that's more of a personal preference/comfort level than anything. Same with the jump scares.
One thing I really liked was how I never felt defeated, even when I died multiple times. There were a few sections that took me multiple tries to beat, but each time I just picked myself up, dusted myself off, and tried a new approach. The hallway in the last level with all the mech enemies was a real pain, but it was really satisfying to figure out how to beat it!

I did the Wyatt timeline, but I think I missed conversation with J about race that everyone itt was talking about.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Underslung rocket launchers, liberal use of grenades, and one shotting Ubersoldiers with the LKW.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
In a way, TNO AND TOB make you feel like BJ. You may be beaten in to the ground, but you will not, cannot rest until you've killed every single nazi rear end in a top hat in your way.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I like that they just find new ways to maim, pummel and kill BJ Blaskowicz but he just keeps coming back and he has single-handedly killed more Nazis than probably the entire Allied powers combined. He's the Nazis' boogeyman. He's the Jason Voorhees of Nazi scum.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

...A 1918 stahlhelm is approximately 1 cm thick...

You're way off, by like a factor of ten.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
If War Thunder taught me anything, a T-34 might as well be the Terror-Billy and/or :black101: DOOM SLAYER :black101: of tanks.

loving T-34s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The doomslayer is more like a Yak-9T. Fast, agile, and a big loving gun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GUI posted:

oh my god day one purchase it is

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

King Vidiot posted:

I like that they just find new ways to maim, pummel and kill BJ Blaskowicz but he just keeps coming back and he has single-handedly killed more Nazis than probably the entire Allied powers combined. He's the Nazis' boogeyman. He's the Jason Voorhees of Nazi scum.

I was going to stick to nothing but horror games for the month of October like I usually do each year, but I'm using the same rationalization to play Wolf TNC on release day - it's still a horror game, it's just that *I* am the scary one. :killing: :unsmigghh:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Xenomrph posted:

I was going to stick to nothing but horror games for the month of October like I usually do each year, but I'm using the same rationalization to play Wolf TNC on release day - it's still a horror game, it's just that *I* am the scary one. :killing: :unsmigghh:

same. id get evil within 2(heard its amazing) but i'll wait for Christmas.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Living in America is a horror game at this point!

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'll be really sad if the plotline of BJ having kids on the way doesn't lead to a Commander Keen reboot.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BJ Junior

BJJ

I expect some Nazis getting slide tackled and their necks snapped by Junior's thighs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

All I remember with difficulty in TNO is the drat bridge level and having to crank down the difficulty because those big bastards would unfailingly wreck me. What the heck was the strategy there?