Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

flash wins a lost game vs soulkey. I think he kills 100 mutalisks with 4 wraiths.

https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3933&v=gRdpMZVgQDk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fanatic posted:

Yeah, I laughed when they were reminiscing about Tasteless' GomTV days and Artosis brought up the Panda Bear guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdfPsKWyQik :D

Edit: I forgot they had unit counts back then. I wonder what ever happened to that and why ASL was lacking even resources counts for so long (until HD came out), while GomTV had it 7 years ago.

love that video still getting play after all these years.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Antares posted:

mostly mid 20s yeah, Flash is 25. Stork is the oldest ASL player I can think of and he's 29.

I was thinking that Shine and Larva were older, but nope. It's an unforgiving game for older players, compared to SCII. I seem to recall it was kind of a big deal for a ~22-year-old JulyZerg to win his last OSL. I'm not sure who the oldest OSL/MSL winner was.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

are those their real ages or the dumbass ways koreans do age?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

are those their real ages or the dumbass ways koreans do age?

that's what they are on the english liquipedia so i assume it's gregorian, they have DOBs on there too so I'd assume age is a derived field

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jjULjQ_cqA

Another round 8 video just got posted. I haven't watched it yet but it's Bisu vs Baxter.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Yikes, that was more one-sided than I expected, Bisu's constant worker harassment is crazy.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

man, Killer got absolutely trounced

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

I think this set was shorter than the zvz set last week lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come there hasn't been a competitive game that comes close to as good as brood war.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come there hasn't been a competitive game that comes close to as good as brood war.

Counter-strike does.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nope. fps are terrible spectator games.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Nah, they're fun.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Fanatic posted:

Yikes, that was more one-sided than I expected, Bisu's constant worker harassment is crazy.

I love tastosis but instead of making jokes about quake circa 1998 they could have been explaining the probe a lot more

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
A game doesn't have to be a good spectator sport to be a good competitive game.

Maybe to be a good eSport, but lots of unwatchable games seem to succeed on that front so who knows.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

brood war makes for a drat good spectator sport though whereas I feel like games like Counterstrike are just a lot harder to watch

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think that was one of the most unsatisfying match ups I have seen in the recent ASL tournaments. It just felt like a foregone conclusion maybe a third of the way through game 2

Too bad

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

A game doesn't have to be a good spectator sport to be a good competitive game.

Maybe to be a good eSport, but lots of unwatchable games seem to succeed on that front so who knows.

you're quite right, i should've been more specific. i can only think of brood war and assorted fighting games as competitive games that also make good spectator ones. dota maybe? everything else is garbo that i don't understand having an audience.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Games like Counterstrike are great competitively but as a viewer you're constricted to one player's viewpoint at a time which kinda sucks, when in every other genre you can mostly see everything. That said, I find that I can't get into eSport games unless I've played them myself to some degree.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Overwatch seems to be doing well despite being unwatchable for all the reasons given above

(I have never spectated OW and don't want to)

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Overwatch at least has the benefit of being mostly about team fights so you can usually at least see everyone interacting together and additionally most of the important abilities in the game are super flashy and have distinct audio cues so even if you aren't spectating the right person you can tell when something important is happening. It's still not a great game to spectate but I think its better than most other FPSs.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I've tried to enjoy watching Overwatch tournaments, but it's just not fun to watch compared to CSGO since it's so focused on teamfights that just end up being a clusterfuck of particle effects.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
time for flash to 3-0 mind in less than five hours

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AtillatheBum posted:

Overwatch at least has the benefit of being mostly about team fights so you can usually at least see everyone interacting together and additionally most of the important abilities in the game are super flashy and have distinct audio cues so even if you aren't spectating the right person you can tell when something important is happening. It's still not a great game to spectate but I think its better than most other FPSs.

overwatch is not a well designed or balanced games and the maps are very bad. it might be the best example of "esports as marketing".

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

a cow posted:

time for flash to 3-0 mind in less than five hours

accurate

G1 and G2 were pretty good, but I do like me a TvT

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I have shamefully and solely following Zerg and protoss, loving terrans...

At least they had a good showing for once, caught them with their pants down a few times.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Elyv posted:

accurate

G1 and G2 were pretty good, but I do like me a TvT

Game 2 was a lot of fun. Mind really mixes it up, and the Tastosis was right to call it a 'brawl'. Mind could have won that game if not for trying to break that siege line halfway through the game, which lost him basically his whole army. Loving how creative these guys are getting.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Groovelord Neato posted:

overwatch is not a well designed or balanced games and the maps are very bad. it might be the best example of "esports as marketing".

I agree on all points except the maps where I'd say about a 1/3rd are dogshit and the rest range from passable to good. I still think it's a lot more fun to watch than hide and seek but with guns. Starcraft blows them both out of the water though.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Jaedong’s Terran play lookin pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD1CTpWjyXo

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Stop trying to be funny, Rapid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AtillatheBum posted:

I agree on all points except the maps where I'd say about a 1/3rd are dogshit and the rest range from passable to good. I still think it's a lot more fun to watch than hide and seek but with guns.

you are quite right, i'm just a big baby when it comes to poorly balanced and designed games getting competitive scenes solely due to developers using it as marketing (lol, smite, loving clash of clans, pretty much any multiplayer game now). fighting games, brood war, dota all had scenes naturally grow (and then were taken over by companies to use as marketing!).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rapid solo cast :chloe:

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome

Elyv posted:

Rapid solo cast :chloe:

ffffffffffffffffuck that

Between that and the results I'm glad I had other things to do last night

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

WDIIA posted:

ffffffffffffffffuck that

Between that and the results I'm glad I had other things to do last night

Game 1 is probably worth the watch but maybe on mute

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Yeah, I'll probably watch the Korean VoDs at some point to catch up

I heard the games were decent but I really wanted Larva to win, so it's going to be a bit heartbreaking

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

So is there any way hero wins vs bisu or flash? Not that larva's chances were good or anything but at least he had a cool beard and sunglasses

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Yeah the bisu/flash match bouta be hype, then a quick stomp in the finals almost assuredly.

But I'm glad Larva got as far as he did. He's fun to watch and I hope he continues to improve off-ladder, I love watching his stupid aggression

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Watching Bisu-Flash on the ASL2 account with FlashFTW, certainly not may favorite castor but less bad humor than Rapid

Game 2: Proof why you should always stasis the back tanks, not the front. Bisu walled himself off

Game 3: loving lmao at Flash going Deep 6 in a semi-final game, shame it didn't quite work but I enjoyed it

End of series thoughts: Pretty disappointing set from Bisu, of course Flash rules but a lot of Bisu's play just felt off in the clutch moments. Game 4 just felt kinda sad. Was hoping that things would have gone longer
I think that Hero may take a game off Flash, but Flash should be winning his second consecutive ASL. 3rd/4th place match between Bisu and Larva should be p. good I think

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 31, 2017

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Bisu made some weird mistakes but even if he hadnt he still seemed very far behind flash. Game 2 for example, even if bisu hadnt moved his whole army out of position to chase vultures then stasis blocked himself, flash's 3/2 push would probably still kill him. And that seemed like bisu's best serious game of the night. Idk though I've never played TvP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Flash is my hero for game 3 but what are you gonna do against that hot Bisu tech