Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pendent posted:

Oh man, I remember that guy. That was a really funny conversation looking back.

Hello

Also, you can get a High Elf noble named Guderian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Have the Dark Elves been dominating the ritual race for anybody else? In every single campaign I've played they end up significantly ahead by turn 100 or so if I don't deal with them. I'm Teclis in my current playthrough and Malekith has actually almost entirely taken Ulthuan by turn 130 or so- it really looks like autoresolve loves them something fierce.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Pendent posted:

Have the Dark Elves been dominating the ritual race for anybody else? In every single campaign I've played they end up significantly ahead by turn 100 or so if I don't deal with them. I'm Teclis in my current playthrough and Malekith has actually almost entirely taken Ulthuan by turn 130 or so- it really looks like autoresolve loves them something fierce.

It is High Elves for me. Tyrion confederates Ulthuan by turn 75 or 100 then grabs Loremasters and turtles.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gonkish posted:

Weird, the game just straight-up crashes all of a sudden, even with every single mod disabled. I also tried outright deleting the mods I had installed, to ensure they weren't still being loaded by the game, and it STILL crashes as soon as I try to load into a campaign or custom battle. Not sure what's going on.

I validated files and such, everything seems fine. EDIT: Looking into it, it seems like the W10 update is loving with things?
I'm using Win10pro with the latest update and can load both the campaign and the battle map fine. So the main cause is probably something else.
Is there an update for your graphics drivers available?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Xae posted:

It is High Elves for me. Tyrion confederates Ulthuan by turn 75 or 100 then grabs Loremasters and turtles.

In my HE game I'm ready start the second to last ritual, and the only other faction that has even started the previous ritual was DE. And that couldn't be allowed to happen, of course. Getting the two waystone sites on Ulthuan early, to the north and south, gave me a very significant advantage.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
As someone who doesn't know too much about the lore or tabletop, looking at game 3's likely faction list sounds depressing, it's got two Chaos factions and I really don't find them cool, especially after batshit insane ratmen and dinosaurs.

I just hope the Ogre Kingdoms are cool. Unironic grimdark factions are the worst.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
T4s definitely aren't needed as much as 1, they slimmed the trees down. Only a couple buildings out there that really benefit from it, but it's not that hard to make (okay the garrison parts really suck since it's an entry per unit per factionbut I'm mostly pass that). Don't mind keeping it going.

Still haven't fully decided if I just want to add walls directly to the buildings this time around, still leaning no.

Also stilll thinking about naval combat additions and probably rite stuff for ME but gonna wait for ME first.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I still don't understand why people get so angry about people cheating in single player games. If it makes the game more enjoyable for you, then do it! Don't listen to uptight people who think their way to play the game is the only way!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

deathbagel posted:

I still don't understand why people get so angry about people cheating in single player games. If it makes the game more enjoyable for you, then do it! Don't listen to uptight people who think their way to play the game is the only way!

The only time cheating in single player is an issue is if those same people then piss and moan about the game being too easy and the devs get wind of it but don't realise that the pissers and moaners are cheating.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

MadJackMcJack posted:

The only time cheating in single player is an issue is if those same people then piss and moan about the game being too easy and the devs get wind of it but don't realise that the pissers and moaners are cheating.

I really can not think of a time when this has ever happened. The closest thing I can remember is x-com 1 having a bug that after the first day set the game to easy so when they made terror from the depth, the devs had made the game much more difficult.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Third World Reggin posted:

I really can not think of a time when this has ever happened. The closest thing I can remember is x-com 1 having a bug that after the first day set the game to easy so when they made terror from the depth, the devs had made the game much more difficult.

There were times when I got close to doing exactly that, not really considering how disruptive lord skill mods were.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BillBear posted:

As someone who doesn't know too much about the lore or tabletop, looking at game 3's likely faction list sounds depressing, it's got two Chaos factions and I really don't find them cool, especially after batshit insane ratmen and dinosaurs.

I just hope the Ogre Kingdoms are cool. Unironic grimdark factions are the worst.

There are no unironic factions in warhammer

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Raygereio posted:

I'm using Win10pro with the latest update and can load both the campaign and the battle map fine. So the main cause is probably something else.
Is there an update for your graphics drivers available?

Yeah, I grabbed the latest version of the Radeon drivers and outright nuked the ones I had installed with DDU. That didn't fix it, I still can't load into campaigns or custom battles at all. It loads up to 50% and dumps me back to desktop. It seems a lot of people are having this issue, but there's no consistent answer for it.

Some have said uninstalling a security update fixes it, some have said reinstalling steam AND the game have fixed it, some have said updating drivers has fixed it... and yet literally every one of those answers has multiple people saying it did nothing. So I don't know what to believe.

EDIT: Alright, so I tried nuking my Steam install, since that's nice and easy, and it seems to have worked. I can load into custom battles where just a few minutes ago that was impossible.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 22, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There are no unironic factions in warhammer

Well, there weren't at first, and honestly it's probably a blessing that fantasy died before the current generation of writers could dramatically miss the point the way they are with 40K :v:

Also glad to see sassassin's low effort crusade against a couple of mods he doesn't like or use is back, thread feels like home again.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

BillBear posted:

There is nothing grim, nor dark, about Ogres. They are literally a tremendous good time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Helion posted:

There is nothing grim, nor dark, about Ogres. They are literally a tremendous good time.

Emphasis on tremendous.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

New Butt Order posted:

I've literally never done anything to intentionally gain or lose loyalty and don't even know what causes it and I've beaten both Skaven and Delf campaigns without a single general turning against me. I think it can be safely ignored.

I had two Grey Seers rebel a turn or two after hiring them on my Hard Queek campaign. I guess it makes sense with his loyalty penalty, but I wanted more caster lords. Luckily they hadn't had the chance to recruit more than a few units so they just wandered to one of my settlements and killed themselves on the garrison.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
I wish chaos and beastmen had settlements also , would make them more interesting. hordes are just weak. Black arks are bad also

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Thoughts on War Hydras versus Black Dragons for Dark Elf monster support?

I've been ignoring these things in the campaign so far, but it's about time to invade Ulthuan or go punch a dinosaur, and I'd like to start throwing in some monsters. What are the use-cases for these things? The stats on the dragon seem objectively better, but I've seen mention here and there for hydras being "the perfect monster" without much explanation as to why.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Kestral posted:

... I've seen mention here and there for hydras being "the perfect monster" without much explanation as to why.

It's got five heads and breathes fire.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's really hard to kill, does a fair bit of damage, scares the poo poo out of enemy units, and the fire breath is a wrecking ball.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is the Hellpit Abomination underpowered? That Melee Skill really hurts it it seems.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kestral posted:

I've been ignoring these things in the campaign so far, but it's about time to invade Ulthuan or go punch a dinosaur, and I'd like to start throwing in some monsters. What are the use-cases for these things? The stats on the dragon seem objectively better, but I've seen mention here and there for hydras being "the perfect monster" without much explanation as to why.

The dragon has some more offensive impact, but the Hydra has quite a bit more staying power. It's got more HP, and absolutely ludicrous regeneration. Those two combined can give it about twice the longevity as the dragon. Also, situationally the Hydra's breath can have more impact, since its flatter trajectory from the ground can let it burn through several units at once. Of course with the flip side that it's more difficult to disengage and properly position it to actually get the breath off in the first place.

Basically, take both. The dragon is great for diving in and killing priority targets very quickly. The Hydra is more for just slamming right into the enemy front line and loving poo poo up all day long without pause.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 22, 2017

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

deathbagel posted:

it's not even cheating, it's mods.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Dragons are better if you need to catch something that is flying. But you will be out dragoned and the enemy has a lot of archers.

Hydras are overall more useful as they have regen and are giant tar pit monsters.

Flying monsters also tend to have a pathing issue with charging.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
One thing about the Hydra that probably doesnt matter in SP but might in MP is that it has a weakness to fire like all regen units, so a couple dragon's breaths can gently caress it right up to the point of shattering before contact.

I prefer Dragons since flying is a gigantic advantage in sieges, but both are very, very good monsters.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
I was playing a Queek campaign and just realised Nagash's pyramid is insane. For vampires it gives 54 vampiric corruption and 27 in adjacent provinces, and as an added gently caress you to Kroq-gar it's adjacent to his home province because of some pointless little twist of mountains that could just as easily have been put in the orc/dwarf province. Hopefully they do something a bit saner with it when tomb kings comes out.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

If the Hydra could not attack in any way and solely existed to use its breath 3 times, it would still probably be worth it. If you take the time to line that thing up properly against a nasty enemy target, it is absurd. Dragon breath can't compare. I think the Hydra is my favorite single-model monster in either Warhammer game.

Dandywalken posted:

Is the Hellpit Abomination underpowered? That Melee Skill really hurts it it seems.

Seems like complete trash in my experience. Squishy, doesn't get many kills, and its lame bonus only (sometimes) activates when it dies.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

BillBear posted:

Ogres are cool and fun. Chaos dwarfs are not as bad as they might seem, since they’re cheesy old 90s Warhammer with absurd hats and skulls on everything to the point of parody. Demons of chaos are pretty lame and we’re absolute bullshit on the tabletop

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Still think game three will be chaos in the old world: the videogame. Which I think CA can do well, but it'd be a challenge to get it right and get it to sell.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Can someone make a cheat that changes every forest in the game to look like the desert forests? They're great, I can actually see what I'm doing.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Hell pits are garbage against infantry, you need to make use of their anti-large for them to be worthwhile. They're apparently really good against large single model units, their damage being 70% armor piercing is probably a big part of that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am playing radious mod, helfs and defls are the only one with extra units atm, and in vanilla it is like 75-100 turns for helfs to confederate and go agressive. But with radious it is turn 73 and they already have 1/3 of north america and all of ulthwan.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

tarbrush posted:

Still think game three will be chaos in the old world: the videogame. Which I think CA can do well, but it'd be a challenge to get it right and get it to sell.

Personally I would be stoked if it was a game where the Ogre Kingdoms are the Good Guys.

Odds are we'll get some custom eastern faction like nippon or ind to balance out the sheer chaos.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

tarbrush posted:

I don't hate aspected Chaos as much as people in this thread seem to (Vanilla game's warriors are kind of dull though) so I'd be down with it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The vortex campaign really bugs me. It's deeply annoying that full stacks just pop out of nowhere and sack your poo poo and there's not much you can do to defend even half of your territory. I like the idea to inject some difficulty into the late game it just doesn't seem very well implemented

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

terrorist ambulance posted:

The vortex campaign really bugs me. It's deeply annoying that full stacks just pop out of nowhere and sack your poo poo and there's not much you can do to defend even half of your territory. I like the idea to inject some difficulty into the late game it just doesn't seem very well implemented

It's much less good the third or fourth time through

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Opt out of the dumb vortex gimmick then

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Ammanas posted:

Opt out of the dumb vortex gimmick then

Then it's just bulldozing poorly constructed ai armies with your monster doomstacks. The game does need a difficulty spike mechanic, the vortex is just mechanically annoying. Realm divide was better honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Then it's just bulldozing poorly constructed ai armies with your monster doomstacks. The game does need a difficulty spike mechanic, the vortex is just mechanically annoying. Realm divide was better honestly

I'm glad, cause I think it's fixable by tweaking how the chaos and skaven guys spawn, and making the emergency kill the final ritual battle harder and less meaningful.