Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Lincoln posted:

Are the new bands the ones that show up at my house before I leave?

Yes, you choose the colors/names online and they will send them about 2 weeks-a month before you leave and will be automatically good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
The bands are also insanely easy to link to your account on your own via the mydisneyexperience app. You just have to find the bands tab and type in the number on the back of the rfid fob.

But yeah any cm can do it in ten seconds flat.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Lincoln posted:

Are the new bands the ones that show up at my house before I leave?

Disney sends solid color ones automatically with each ticket, select those in the MDE.

If you get a custom one from the app or website it'll ship to your house and you'll either link it online or bring it with you to do at the park.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody know if Trader Sam's is still selling the HM tikis? My friend went the day before they went on sale and then flew home and I'm so goddamn pissed

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Question about Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party: do you need a regular park admission ticket in addition to the extra event ticket? Or do you just need the event ticket and can't get in to MK until 4PM or whenever? Wife and I are APs, but her mom is in town (and my mom will be in December) and we want to take her. Just trying to figure out if we need to buy a regular admission ticket plus the event tickets.

Also, question for other APs: how do you handle out of town visitors who want to come with you? Do you set up an entry for them in your MDE, buy the ticket in their name and set up their FPs?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Omne posted:

Question about Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party: do you need a regular park admission ticket in addition to the extra event ticket? Or do you just need the event ticket and can't get in to MK until 4PM or whenever? Wife and I are APs, but her mom is in town (and my mom will be in December) and we want to take her. Just trying to figure out if we need to buy a regular admission ticket plus the event tickets.

Also, question for other APs: how do you handle out of town visitors who want to come with you? Do you set up an entry for them in your MDE, buy the ticket in their name and set up their FPs?

The ticket gets you into the park at 4, you do not need to buy a regular ticket if you're just going to the party.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Working with my new director this week, dinners at Jiko then Citricos are spoiling me.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

All I want is a pair of rose gold ears. This is apparently impossible.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Braksgirl posted:

Hah, we've been trying to get 3 pair for gifts for a while too. I'll let you know if we get any (and can snag you a pair too if needed).

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I would love it if you could. I'm desperate enough to use one of those personal shoppers and I really don't want to do that. I just want a pair to give to my daughter for Christmas.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Braksgirl posted:

I feel like a dirty human being buying them from an overpriced e-bay scalper for my gf. On the other hand, she's going to loving flip when I give it to her and seeing her reaction is going to be worth it.

You could get pretty good replicas off of etsy as well as a stop gap for a little bit. When we were there a few weeks ago we were asking everyone where they got theirs from, and a huge number of people had etsy replicas that looked just as good as the real thing.

KabukiJoe
Nov 19, 2002

Renegret posted:

I feel like a dirty human being buying them from an overpriced e-bay scalper for my gf. On the other hand, she's going to loving flip when I give it to her and seeing her reaction is going to be worth it.

You could get pretty good replicas off of etsy as well as a stop gap for a little bit. When we were there a few weeks ago we were asking everyone where they got theirs from, and a huge number of people had etsy replicas that looked just as good as the real thing.

We made our own pairs for our recent trip and noticed that a lot of folks seemed to have done the same thing. I'm sure they sell the ears in-park at the price they'll move, but good lord we made 7 pairs for the price of one in-park that were pretty high quality imo.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Does Disney not do dining package times past 3:30p? Or am I just too slow?

On the nights I want to do Tiffins 3:25p is the latest time slot available (after waiting forever for them to finally show up for my dates), and same thing for mama melrose at HS for Fantasmic. Can't determine if they just don't let you eat dinner at a reasonable hour, or if every one of the good time slots have been taken already.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

No, that's just pretty much how it is. It's weird.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Braksgirl posted:

No, that's just pretty much how it is. It's weird.

I believe this is the point: it's an incentive to get people to eat in the dead time between traditional lunch and dinner. Given that's how I like eating on vacation anyway, works out great for me. Last two Disney trips we did fantasmic dinner at 3:30 and couldn't have been happier.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Lincoln posted:

Wow, I just checked WDW website on a whim because my wife & I were texting about needing a vacation -- found a water-view room at the GF for 25% off in February. Booked it instantly with a deposit, then texted the old lady with, "hey...how about Disney World in February? I'll get you a view of the lagoon." Great idea, she said. Whew.

So we'll be there the week of Feb 5. That's almost a 3-year gap since our previous visit, and we used to go like every 18 months. It's gotten so drat expensive to stay at any monorail hotel, we just can't do it as often, and we always wait for a room rate discount or free dining.

VERY EXCITED. We need this trip real, real bad.

edit:Hey, what's the best way to get a special magic band for my wife to use while we're there? If we just show up with our own magic bands (not the plain ones they mail to us), can we use those instead? No idea how that system works.

When I was in the park they still had 45th anniversary tiki room bands. They make good colors. You can get them from the shop parks app. I got the orange Epcot 35 one too. Weirdly, the Epcot one made effects at the entrance touchpoint amd fp+ touchpoints where the tiki one only made the effects at the fp+ touchpoints.

Dren fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 22, 2017

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

FINALLY! Snagged two fastpasses for Flights of Passage for today, so impromptu trip to AK for a bit

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
How many days out can we book fast passes?

Also, can FPs be cancelled (and then re-booked for a different park) if we decide to go to a different park on a given day? We have no idea what parks we're going to on each day... or what part of the day we'll be in a given park (we park hop a lot)... and won't know any of those things when our FP window opens several weeks before our trip... and honestly we don't want to have to make those decisions weeks beforehand in the first place. Basically, there's a 100% chance our actual park touring will not accommodate the schedule of FPs we pick ahead of time -- so can we cancel & re-select Wednesday's FPs on Tuesday evening when we decide we'd rather go to AK tomorrow instead of MK?

UNRELATED QUESTION: Magical Express now works with Southwest Airlines, right? We're using SW for the first time (to WDW, I mean) because they now have much better departure/arrival times for us, and because we had quite a few miles piled up. In fact, this will be the least-expensive trip we've ever taken to WDW. Both round trip tickets combined was about $200 (we had to pay for wifey's outbound flight), and we got 25% off a water-view room at the G-Flo. Less than $3,900 for five nights with park-hoppers & airfare. Normally that would be a little more than the cost of just the room. gently caress, the Floridian is overpriced.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Lincoln posted:

Also, can FPs be cancelled (and then re-booked for a different park) if we decide to go to a different park on a given day? We have no idea what parks we're going to on each day... or what part of the day we'll be in a given park (we park hop a lot)... and won't know any of those things when our FP window opens several weeks before our trip... and honestly we don't want to have to make those decisions weeks beforehand in the first place. Basically, there's a 100% chance our actual park touring will not accommodate the schedule of FPs we pick ahead of time -- so can we cancel & re-select Wednesday's FPs on Tuesday evening when we decide we'd rather go to AK tomorrow instead of MK?

While I also prefer to be spontaneous (and at Disneyland I do vacation mostly spontaneously), the reality is if you don't pre-plan at least the big things at WDW, you're going to miss a lot. Why? Because a huge chunk of the other guests have already planned out where they are going to be and what they will be doing 60-90 days out, and they will have already taken most of the FastPasses (and dining reservations, and rooms, etc., etc., etc.).

I'll just say it's better to work within the system than work against it.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Lincoln posted:

UNRELATED QUESTION: Magical Express now works with Southwest Airlines, right? We're using SW for the first time (to WDW, I mean) because they now have much better departure/arrival times for us, and because we had quite a few miles piled up. In fact, this will be the least-expensive trip we've ever taken to WDW. Both round trip tickets combined was about $200 (we had to pay for wifey's outbound flight), and we got 25% off a water-view room at the G-Flo. Less than $3,900 for five nights with park-hoppers & airfare. Normally that would be a little more than the cost of just the room. gently caress, the Floridian is overpriced.

I think you can start booking fast passes 60 days out from your check in date for the duration of your stay, so you'll be getting the later days of your trip in advance of 60 days.

If you want to do the newer rides, especially Flight of Passage, you'll need a fast pass or to wait a couple of hours in the stand by queue.

You can cancel your fast passes at any time and create new ones. You cant split fast passes up across multiple parks though. You'd have to cancel all in one park to be able to create new ones in a different park.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lincoln posted:

UNRELATED QUESTION: Magical Express now works with Southwest Airlines, right?

Yup!

Also, to add onto to the FP booking posts, remember that while you can rebook at any time, there are only so many FPs made available for every time period. Booking a day out means you probably won't be able to get a high priority FP without significant luck.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Mobile ordering is really great. I expect it'll stay that way until other people figure it out it's great and start using it.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Dren posted:

Mobile ordering is really great. I expect it'll stay that way until other people figure it out it's great and start using it.

I'm hoping they figure out how to add the DDP before my next trip, I've heard positive things about it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I would like to use my Disney gift cards on my trip coming up - I see that you can combine then, anyone know if you can view them in the Apple Wallet app?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No because they have to be present. Disney’s Gift Cards are as behind the times as their ticket processing

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like they just introduced e gift cards three months ago

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thanks for the info - I found the site to combine them, so I guess I will just use that. Thanks.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Question that my niece made me ponder- Are the face characters given updated movie/show info every so often so they can interact with guests? My niece wants to meet Cassandra(who is not in the parks) from the Rapunzel cartoons. Now I'm wondering/afraid she'll ask Rapunzel where she is and the princess wont know what she is talking about.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Quixotic1 posted:

Question that my niece made me ponder- Are the face characters given updated movie/show info every so often so they can interact with guests? My niece wants to meet Cassandra(who is not in the parks) from the Rapunzel cartoons. Now I'm wondering/afraid she'll ask Rapunzel where she is and the princess wont know what she is talking about.

Flynn talked about recruiting my kids to join the royal guard so I believe they are current on their lore (or at least that Flynn was).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My friend plays Moana, part of her training was getting a dossier on small minutiae stuff like that. And they have canned lines to say about stuff they don’t understand

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I’m always curious how deep those cuts go. Like, can any given Goofy pop off a Perfect Cast on demand? Can Prince Charming talk about the time he jumped out a window? Is there a specific window on the castle that they’ve designated “the one the prince jumped out of?”

There’s no way to get to these answers as a guest without being a weirdo in a meet and greet, but I wonder.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SOME of them knew the perfect cast, but I think Disney recently made them learn how to do it. The Goofy we saw at AKl during the hurricane did the perfect cast and other goofy movie stuff

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I would love to see a goofy perform the perfect cast but would hate to be the person to request he do it.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Generally only the movie is truly canonical. A lot of them will incorporate them into their storylines but it isn't really required. I know we use a lot of stuff from Frozen Fever in the Haus and I'm sure we'll incorporate Olaf's adventure in too once it's out. They're not gonna waste time training Goofy in the perfect cast, but if someone learns it in their free time...

My friend tries to keep up with the Rapunzel show, at least in passing. Otherwise, it's deflect deflect deflect.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

At the airport flying to our stay at PO Riverside!

There was a gap between my APs so I have one but didn't renew. Do I need to still go to relations outside a park to activate it? If so, can I do it at Disney Springs? I know I can't at the resort but I want to take care of it in advance and I usually don't hit a park on my first night but I'd be willing to take the scenic boat to Springs and do it tonight

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you’re on the monthly payment plan you have to yes, otherwise you can pay in full or cal them.

Disney Springs guest services can do it

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any of you guys know what type of camera disney shoots Must Do Disney with?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTjqP1ZzhJA

A mix of DSLR handheld, Gopros for the POV ride shots, and cinema cameras on a crane for some of the higher production stuff.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that!

Do you know what dslr? I always liked the look of it. Impressive

E; derp I’m dumb

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

If you're still after them, pm me. I'll go looking for you. Because guess where I am :)

E: oh and all my pissing and moaning earlier on about Pandora was at least somewhat wrong. I'm not impressed at all by the "night time light up" bioluminecesnces whatever effects, but flight of passage is a premium as gently caress ride.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 26, 2017