Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
DRAKENGARD

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well, the commander deciding to go down with the ship in a (at least partially) heroic manner was a pleasant surprise. I guess that's how silver linings work with Taro Yoko, "good news, the person you thought was evil and going to betray you actually isn't! Bad news they're going to die!".

Wonder where 9S went, I'm guessing 2B sent him to either Pascal's village or the resistance camp, those are the places most likely to be safe, or at least "safe".

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
The YoRHa forces switching their voice filters to the SHODAN setting made this part great. And we finally get the final reward for doing 6O's quest earlier.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the_simpsons_it_begins_but_barney_is_emil.avi

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The black "Developed by PlatinumGames" card is my favorite moment in the game. Hitting the opening credits sequence 20+ hours into the game right after most of your allies just died is pretty amazing. It's a 'Red Wedding'-type moment, where you understand that no one is safe while Yoko Taro is behind the wheel.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
6O's line is the biggest sucker punch there.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Wow is this seriously when we get the actual opening credits? They haven’t shown up yet?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

ManSedan posted:

Wow is this seriously when we get the actual opening credits? They haven’t shown up yet?
I think there were opening credits in both A and B, but this one is much more cinematic. This update's highlight video is essential viewing.

Edit:
I mentioned a couple pages back that I preferred the Japanese VA for one particular line read, and this is the update where it happens. After the Commander tells the duo that it is their duty to survive and the track "Crumbling Lies" begins playing, 2B pauses for a moment before shouting out in an attempt to convince the Commander to come with them. It's a heartbreaking moment. 2B is a loyal soldier of YoRHa and obviously has an enormous amount of respect for the Commander. When she has to abruptly deal with both the Commander and most of YoRHa's death all at once, 2B has a micro-freakout. The Commander reiterates her orders, and 9S manages to drag 2B over to the flight units for their escape.

In my head canon, 2B believed that everything would eventually work out as long as the Commander was safe.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 22, 2017

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

poo poo's finally getting real! :getin:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yoko Taro said there would be a happy ending, but he didn't say who would be happy at the end.

(It's the machines.)

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
The entire sequence for starting up Route C is amazing, right down to finally showing the opening credits to the game 20 hours in. Everything beforehand was just a warm-up, and now we're getting to the main event! And of course we get a moment where Yoko Taro punishes us for being completionists by giving 60 a brief moment of lucidity before blowing right the hell up with the rest of the Bunker and YoRHa.

Side note, Automata continues the trend of having side characters with fantastic voice actors. Listening to the Commander's voice tremble up until she gives her final order to 2B and 9S brings back memories of Ursula/the Lighthouse Lady from the original NieR and how much her performance during that side quest made me bawl.

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

I've beaten this game a couple times, got close enough to hundred percenting it, and my heart still pounds just reading this section. This game is so good and if you are reading this and haven't played, you need to fix that as soon as you have the ability to do so.

I know exactly what has happened and what will, and I still hang onto every word Id writes here.

ultrafilter posted:

Yoko Taro said there would be a happy ending, but he didn't say who would be happy at the end.

(It's the machines.)

The happy ending is for you, because Yoko Taro's nightmare has momentarily ended until he gets given another game. That's how all of his games have happy endings!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
And now you know why the flight unit sequences are going away.

...do you think the Commander is still floating in orbit perfectly intact, with a stern look on her face?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So you don't actually need to fight any YoRHa troops when you first take control of 2B in the City Ruins after the EMP attack. I didn't. :smith: I don't know why I thought it would matter, but I ran away from all of them and even during the crater fight just spammed perfect dodges instead of fighting back. I think there are locked doors on Bunker that bar you from progressing until you wipe out nearby infected androids so that was when I first started fighting. Being pursued by YoRHa fliers in was such a huge shock after 20 hours of nothing but innertube stubbies though.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Ooooh! This is so much f-f-fun! The virus we planted has blOSsomed into a b-beautiful flower.

F-flower? Fetch me my brown trousers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Sandman posted:

And now you know why the flight unit sequences are going away.

...do you think the Commander is still floating in orbit perfectly intact, with a stern look on her face?

Is there a different ending for self-destructing at this point?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Carlosologist posted:

holy poo poo

Well THAT was unexpected!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So how did deaths previously work "in universe"? Were you supposed to just respawn at the bunker if you got killed? Because now... yeah. Even the "saving" functionality doesn't seem like it makes sense anymore. The game from now on does not allow saving, and if you die you have to restart at the beginning of Route C.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I get the criticism that Route B is kind of repetitive and doesn't really show that much new but I still think the pacing of it just makes the entire first few hours of C, peaking in the late credit drop, even more shocking.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Flowers you say.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Holy poo poo. That 6O line is a serious sucker punch to the gut. I'd ben hoping she'd make it out. Guess this means 21O is gone, too. That whole sequence was rough, godamn.

And this is just the beginning of this route? Oh hell.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Oh sweet, the Nier LP finally started.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Coming up is the gameplay sequence I hate most of the entire game.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Serifina posted:

Guess this means 21O is gone, too. That whole sequence was rough, goddamn.
Was there a mom-sounding death rattle among the four dozen death cries?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Dark Id posted:

Did the virus infiltrate the Bunker itself?
Oooo! B-b-bingo AGAIN!
Operator, what—
That’s not the Operator. It’s—
We are your beloved machine lifeforms. We speak to you through the network and the virus.
How is that even possible!?
We’ve had a great deal of fu-fun watching you squiiirm. <crackle> But I’m afraid the end has come for this o-o-outpost. Ah ha! Aaaaaah ha ha ha! Ah ha! Aaaaaah ha ha haaaa! <crackle>

Everyone should at least watch the video long enough to hear this sequence. It loses something as just text.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
:yokotaro::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh:IT BEGINS!:unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::yokotaro:

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
Seeing the opening credits 20 hours in is one thing.

Seeing the opening credits after we've seen the ending credits at least twice is another thing entirely.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
This hurts. This hurts and it just started.

loving Drakengard.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It reminds me of D4 throwing in its intro cinematic twice, once near the start of the game, the next time when you discover that your partner is investigating something completely insane.

I kinda want Yoko Taro and SWERY to team up, now that I think about it.

Oh, and yeah. YorHa isn't winning this one...but that doesn't mean they've lost. Victory comes in many forms.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 22, 2017

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Oh no, the little oil-bearing Stubby is still trying. :smith:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kinda sad we don't get to see the commander outside of the black and white zone. RIP in peace.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Picayune posted:

Oh no, the little oil-bearing Stubby is still trying. :smith:

Happy Ending: The big brother Stubby finally wakes up as the world ends. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Given how 9S's run involved, in part, finding out that all the machine lifeforms are just playing at failure, I wonder if they couldn't just have done this whenever they wanted. I mean, we still have no idea how the gently caress a bunch of stubbies holding hands produced Adam.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rhonne posted:

Oh sweet, the Nier LP finally started.

I'm pretty sure everyone's reaction to starting route C is to play it all the way through to the end in one or two sittings. The first hour doesn't let up in the slightest, but even when it does the rest of the route is pretty jam packed, too.

The only reason I didn't do it in one sitting was because I beat route B just before midnight, and had to go to work the next day. Even just starting it I couldn't tear myself away till three am.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 22, 2017

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Flowers posted:

I've beaten this game a couple times, got close enough to hundred percenting it, and my heart still pounds just reading this section. This game is so good and if you are reading this and haven't played, you need to fix that as soon as you have the ability to do so.

I know exactly what has happened and what will, and I still hang onto every word Id writes here.

Extremely same.

Reading all the people who are experiencing it blind though, all I can do is just laugh maniacally.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone's reaction to starting route C is to play it all the way through to the end in one or two sittings. The first hour doesn't let up in the slightest, but even when it does the rest of the route is pretty jam packed, too.

The only reason I didn't do it in one sitting was because I beat route B just before midnight, and had to go to work the next day. Even just starting it I couldn't tear myself away till three am.

Oh cool, so I wasn't the only one who did that! :v:

It seriously cannot be overstated just how hard and how fast the game hits you with all this. Breaking it up into a SSLP over four updates or so makes it seem a lot longer than it is when really it all goes down in the space of 30-40 minutes, at most.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I always assumed 6O was one of the nameless operators you cut down during the escape sequence.

God, the Machine Network are sadistic little shits. They're loving this - you really need to hear the voice they use (which sounds like it might actually be 6O's voice, holy crap) to get the sense of just how much childlike spite they display in this sequence. If Pascal and co are innocence in a positive sense, the Machine Network are the dark side.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

:yokotaro: means I bet we're going to end up having to kill oil carrying stubby :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Suddenly, I'm hit!
Is this darkness or the dawn?
And your friends are gone.
And your friends won't come.
So show me where you fit.
Show me where you fit...

• Locked thread