Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Last time someone tried to bully me off the road with their car when I came to a stop he started ranting and raving poo poo like 'you don't even have a motor roads are for cars!' while his jowls flapped inside his ridiculous tadpole trike roadster thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

James Baud posted:

I thought this guy (blowhard, but) came up with a pretty decent model - not the only person with something similar, but it's all in one single convenient since-deleted page.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140716005447/http://michaelochurch.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/the-3-ladder-system-of-social-class-in-the-u-s/

Hmm... Ladder theory eh?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

Do you want a shovel, Bill? You'd have a much easier time digging that hole for yourself.

https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/921437727320625152

Everyone wants to be Trump.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

https://www.straight.com/cannabis/984371/group-richmond-residents-trying-postpone-cannabis-legalization

guys who knew the Most Interesting Policy debate of Our Times could be so divisive?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

https://www.straight.com/cannabis/984371/group-richmond-residents-trying-postpone-cannabis-legalization

guys who knew the Most Interesting Policy debate of Our Times could be so divisive?

you could probably make a sweet bong out of a pumpkin you "helped yourself to"

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

large hands posted:

you could probably make a sweet bong out of a pumpkin you "helped yourself to"

DIY pumpkin spice weed.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

namaste faggots posted:

"Racist" really is the n-word for white people, isn't it?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Leofish posted:

"Racist" really is the n-word for white people, isn't it?

No, because white people can't call each other racist.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Argas posted:

No, because white people can't call each other racist.

That's racist.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Leofish posted:

That's racist.

I'm not white.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Argas posted:

I'm not white.

Reverse racism.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

kill whitey imo

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Argas posted:

I'm not white.

What you mean you're 1/64th Cherokee

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

https://twitter.com/brent_bellamy/status/920454624859115521

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

:discourse::canada:

Though "underground garden" isn't very far from "dank grotto". Something like that would need some pretty huge maintenance and utility bills to keep from getting gross real quick.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 22, 2017

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Had literally the exact same thought.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Butcher posted:

:discourse::canada:

Though "underground garden" isn't very far from "dank grotto". Something like that would need some pretty huge maintenance and utility bills to keep from getting gross real quick.

Fountains and foliage disappeared from many office buildings and malls over the years because of maintenance costs and anti-insect sentiment. This place would have met the same fate.

Also, as one person commented on that tweet thread: Never Believe the Renders.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
One of the buildings connected to the underground does have a waterfall thingy with plants but I think they're all plastic.

These days with the 80% reduction in insect populations observed over the past 30 years I'm p sure nobody would mind the bugs.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't think most people know about that until you point out the fact that 20+ years ago driving in the summer would coat the front of their car with insects and now it almost never happens.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
People are genuinely creeped out around here because we had a mosquito free summer in this part of Manitoba. We're talking not even bothering with bug spray on hikes in the whiteshell.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Buddy when I see a bumble bee I get super excited I see maybe two or three for an entire summer. Before they'd be all over the place and twice the size they are now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

EvilJoven posted:

People are genuinely creeped out around here because we had a mosquito free summer in this part of Manitoba. We're talking not even bothering with bug spray on hikes in the whiteshell.

They must have moved east then because in SW Ontario the bugs were terrible. Not Toronto but whenever I went up north. I've never experienced them like that anywhere.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Glad to see the bugs are thriving somewhere. This summer all we got were wasps and now those Asian lady beetles that are like rear end in a top hat ladybugs that bite.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Glad to see the bugs are thriving somewhere. This summer all we got were wasps and now those Asian lady beetles that are like rear end in a top hat ladybugs that bite.

Racist.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
We've been seeing less and less of most every kind of bug out here on the outskirts of Ottawa. Except box elder bugs. Those motherfuckers have been goddamn thriving and I hate them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I can't say I miss the mosquitos but it is drastically down.

Taz was too effective!!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

James Baud posted:

I thought this guy (blowhard, but) came up with a pretty decent model - not the only person with something similar, but it's all in one single convenient since-deleted page.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140716005447/http://michaelochurch.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/the-3-ladder-system-of-social-class-in-the-u-s/

Well this maps scarily into the Trump era.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just read a depressing article about that Toronto Muslim preacher who got fired from his TA job at Ryerson for a video where he gave a supplication translated as hate speech against the jews. Guy went to the Jewish community to learn and take anti racism workshops, which is nice to hear. The Sun and Rebel Media were naturally the ones to run the story about his hate speech in the first place, effectively wrecking the guys life in a week and a half.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Yeah I don't know what is up with all these drat imposter ladybugs everywhere.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just read a depressing article about that Toronto Muslim preacher who got fired from his TA job at Ryerson for a video where he gave a supplication translated as hate speech against the jews. Guy went to the Jewish community to learn and take anti racism workshops, which is nice to hear. The Sun and Rebel Media were naturally the ones to run the story about his hate speech in the first place, effectively wrecking the guys life in a week and a half.

That's what you get for not kowtowing to god's chosen people

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Amazon isn't going to set up an HQ in Canada.

The amount of people I've met who've told me something along the lines of "did you hear Amazon is thinking about setting up an HQ in Calgary?" is insanely mind boggling.

Amazon hasn't announced poo poo. There has been no indication whatsoever about anything they're considering. There was one independent study that said Calgary and Denver are the most feasible locations. That's it. But somehow the idea of a megacorp setting up shop here has melted peoples brains into thinking that it's destiny.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Arcsquad12 posted:

Read it last night. Even though he used some questionable generalizations, it's scary that wackos edited his video and purposefully mistranslated bits to make it look he was calling for the killing of all Jews :stonk:

If you ever saw that video of some Dutch (?) researchers that can manipulate audio and video feed to make any subject appear to say whatever they like. It's :tinfoil: material.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Read it last night. Even though he used some questionable generalizations, it's scary that wackos edited his video and purposefully mistranslated bits to make it look he was calling for the killing of all Jews :stonk:

If you ever saw that video of some Dutch (?) researchers that can manipulate audio and video feed to make any subject appear to say whatever they like. It's :tinfoil: material.

What were the questionable generalizations?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Postess with the Mostest posted:

What were the questionable generalizations?

He didn’t want to slay all Jews, just to “cleanse Al-Aqsa mosque from the Jews’ desecration of it”.

That Star writer needs an editor. It’s a really badly written piece.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/alert-cutbacks-1.4220160

quote:

Environment Canada scales back climate measurements at Alert due to staff shortage
Cuts to atmospheric, snow and ice measurements leave gaps in climate change data, scientists warn

whenever i feel like i'm losing touch with common hardworking middle class canadians i like to read the cbc comments

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

He didn’t want to slay all Jews, just to “cleanse Al-Aqsa mosque from the Jews’ desecration of it”.

That Star writer needs an editor. It’s a really badly written piece.

I went and found the article, 2017 is bizarre. Thank god he didn't misgender the jews at least.

quote:

Elkasrawy also was not referring to Jewish people when he said “slay them one by one,” a line from the Hadith that is often invoked as a cry for divine justice. This line was misunderstood as being part of his prayer about Al-Aqsa mosque; in fact, it was the closing line in a previous supplication that he made on behalf of suffering Muslims around the world, Hachimi said.

As for “Purify the Al-Aqsa mosque from the filth of the Jews,” a more accurate translation is “Cleanse Al-Aqsa mosque from the Jews’ desecration of it,” according to Nazir Harb Michel, an Arabic sociolinguist and Islamophobia researcher at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C.

https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/gt...hole-story.html

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A line from the Hadith posted:

Slay them one by one.

Islam is a religion of peace? :thunk:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CRISPYBABY posted:

The amount of people I've met who've told me something along the lines of "did you hear Amazon is thinking about setting up an HQ in Calgary?" is insanely mind boggling.

Amazon hasn't announced poo poo. There has been no indication whatsoever about anything they're considering. There was one independent study that said Calgary and Denver are the most feasible locations. That's it. But somehow the idea of a megacorp setting up shop here has melted peoples brains into thinking that it's destiny.

I think a lot of people are looking forward to how they can use their high school degree and fifteen years of O&G middle management experience to work for Future Walmart doing data science.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

McGavin posted:

Islam is a religion of peace? :thunk:

OTOH

"Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey." (1 Samuel 15:3)

e: whats with bigots and their fake affinity to religion trying to holier than thou other religions when they don't even know their own drat books :thunk:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Risky Bisquick posted:

OTOH

"Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey." (1 Samuel 15:3)

e: whats with bigots and their fake affinity to religion trying to holier than thou other religions when they don't even know their own drat books :thunk:

oh no you've given him an opening for "actually i'm an atheist :smuggo:"