Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah proxy into sleeve is whatever for me on stuff like this. I proxied an entire second set of core set cards because I'm not buying a second one and have no real issue with it. It's not like I need to take these things to tournaments and need legit cards.

Note that I am not suggesting print-n-playing entire expansions or anything, that's pretty bogus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The whole 'second core set' thing still gets on my nerves as a concept. They know 60% of the cards in every group's 2nd, 3rd and 4th core set will never be used. They'd rather print a shitload of unnecessary cardboard (and all the tokens and rulebooks) than just release a slightly cheaper box of just the core investigator cards. You can still get people to buy multiple sets but it cuts out the insane waste.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 20, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Don't like the idea of the book exclusive cards, even though I most likely was gonna get them. I don't mind having the cards out early like Lambeau but being totally different cards feels a bit lame.

As an aside, I really wish they'd reissue the arkham minis they did before. I'd definitely pick up a full set of the heroes even though they're not all released in the LCG yet.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

The whole 'second core set' thing still gets on my nerves as a concept. They know 60% of the cards in every group's 2nd, 3rd and 4th core set will never be used. They'd rather print a shitload of unnecessary cardboard (and all the tokens and rulebooks) than just release a slightly cheaper box of just the core investigator cards. You can still get people to buy multiple sets but it cuts out the insane waste.

C'mon down to Steve's Dead Horse Lot. We have a fine variety of dead horses that you can beat on to your heart's content.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PJOmega posted:

C'mon down to Steve's Dead Horse Lot. We have a fine variety of dead horses that you can beat on to your heart's content.

I'll stop beating them when I stop being right, yo.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

alansmithee posted:

As an aside, I really wish they'd reissue the arkham minis they did before. I'd definitely pick up a full set of the heroes even though they're not all released in the LCG yet.

One of these days I'll get around to listing/selling the two(?) complete sets of pre-painted FFG Arkham minis sitting in giant wooden chests in the bowels of my store's stockroom. Last I checked they were absurdly expensive, though.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Got a new job, splurged on our mutual friend The Arkham Horror card game on a whim. Then I noticed it's not playable with three people, so I bought an expansion. But I accidentally bought an expansion for the Arkham Horror board game instead, which I don't own, and apparently buying one of the LCG expansions doesn't really let you play with three anyway, so the plan was bad to begin with. And I can't return said expansion because I took off the shrinkwrap.

So, being impulsive and illiterate and a poor decision-maker, I'm the ideal horror protagonist and I expect great things from this game. Is hard mode good for a second playthrough, or is it bullshit?

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Ragnar34 posted:

Is hard mode good for a second playthrough, or is it bullshit?

I find that the easy/normal difficulties are challenging enough. Increasing the likelihood of skillcheck failures doesn't seem that fun to me.

Luckily, it's really easy to tweak the difficulty to find a sweet spot. Like, in the future I might try a game with an easy/normal token count but with hard mode rules for special tokens.

Personally, the branching paths of the campaigns and the fun of building and testing new decks make replays enjoyable.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ragnar34 posted:

Got a new job, splurged on our mutual friend The Arkham Horror card game on a whim. Then I noticed it's not playable with three people, so I bought an expansion. But I accidentally bought an expansion for the Arkham Horror board game instead, which I don't own, and apparently buying one of the LCG expansions doesn't really let you play with three anyway, so the plan was bad to begin with. And I can't return said expansion because I took off the shrinkwrap.

So, being impulsive and illiterate and a poor decision-maker, I'm the ideal horror protagonist and I expect great things from this game. Is hard mode good for a second playthrough, or is it bullshit?

This game has great replayability.

And just proxy extra cards if you need them.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ragnar34 posted:

But I accidentally bought an expansion for the Arkham Horror board game instead, which I don't own, and apparently buying one of the LCG expansions doesn't really let you play with three anyway, so the plan was bad to begin with. And I can't return said expansion because I took off the shrinkwrap.

Buy Arkham Horror now to use the board expansion you bought; go mad deciphering the rulebook

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Buy Arkham Horror now to use the board expansion you bought; go mad deciphering the rulebook

I considered it. For a few seconds after realizing my mistake, I considered it. But I need that money to fund all the AH:LCG expansions I now see I'm going to need.

I'm probably getting Carcosa next, because I want Akachi. Do I need to get Dunwich first?

ConfusedUs posted:

This game has great replayability.

And just proxy extra cards if you need them.

Didn't think of that. Good thought.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm probably getting Carcosa next, because I want Akachi. Do I need to get Dunwich first?

No but the entire Dunwich cycle is fantastic. Carcosa is great so far, but it's just getting started.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ragnar34 posted:

Hard mode is the most fun mode once you grasp the game. Expert mode is there if you want the full bullshit experience.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Soothing Vapors posted:

It gets hard to defend FFG sometimes.

Imagine if you played X-Wing and the only way to get several extremely useful upgrade cards for tournament play was to drop $100 on a giant spaceship that would collect dust on your shelf because the only use for it is a casual gameplay mode that nobody ever uses. Shelling out $15 for an equally useless book of lovely tie-in fiction is a bargain by comparison.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Orange Devil posted:

Hard mode is the most fun mode once you grasp the game. Expert mode is there if you want the full bullshit experience.

I think

Don't know what you are doing and limited card pool = easy

Add 1 for bigger card pool, one for more skill and one if you want the game to be actually hard

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Played the intro mission a few times with different characters to get a feel for the different styles. I think I'm still bad at this, and I don't grasp how anyone works except defenders and investigationers. It feels like survivors and mystics are the jack-of-all-trades classes, where the mystics are high risk and reward, and survivors are for bullshitting their way out of situations or something? And rogue feels like defender plus more evasion, except that's also what survivor does.

I like how this game handles narrative. After I settled on Skids and Agnes for the second mission and kicking around town for a bit, activating the masked hunter was awesome and flavorful. Eight health, too much damage, and the clock is ticking. Run, motherfucker! But I got too focused on killing it and ran out of time just as I beat it, which I think is a big reason why mission three ripped me in half. And you better believe I was scrying like a motherfucker to find Lita and throw her to the big guy, not that it helped. I have no clue how to do 14 damage. Maybe it helps to advance to act deck, since I never placed a single clue before the agenda ran out.

Maybe next I'll bring Daisy and Skids, and if that doesn't work, I guess I'll cave and use Roland even though he's my least favorite. This game rules. I don't know yet if I want to kick it down to easy for my second go-round. Either way, drat, I can see this is going to get pricey.

Is it reasonable to try to win the core set campaign without a defender character? I want to try Wendy + Daisy but I'm not sure how to make that happen. I guess they could just evade everything and take every story path that doesn't require fighting elites.

Bottom Liner posted:

No but the entire Dunwich cycle is fantastic. Carcosa is great so far, but it's just getting started.
Huh. Interesting. Do these cycles form larger stories made up of smaller campaigns? I guess I'll go see what a full cycle costs.

e: Like $70-80 on a drip feed. Not horrible, I guess.
e2: You need Fantasy Flight's written permission to flip their products on Amazon?! :psyduck: Fine. Does anyone want a copy of the Arkham Horror expansion "The King in Yellow"? Pay for shipping and it's yours, or just pick it up by hand for free if you live near enough to meet up. Actually, poo poo, where should I be asking that? SA Mart seems like the wrong place.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 23, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ragnar34 posted:

Huh. Interesting. Do these cycles form larger stories made up of smaller campaigns? I guess I'll go see what a full cycle costs.

Yep, the game is made up of campaigns that are released in chapters. Each "chapter" is a unique scenario with it's own story and mechanics that can be played as a standalone, but also fits into a bigger story. They have also released 3 stand alone print on demand scenarios that are one-off stories.

The core is a 3 story campaign.

Dunwich Legacy is a big box expansion that has the first 2 chapters of a new campaign, followed by 6 small box expansions that finish it out.

Carcosa is the new big box expansion that starts the new campaign.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

Imagine if you played X-Wing and the only way to get several extremely useful upgrade cards for tournament play was to drop $100 on a giant spaceship that would collect dust on your shelf because the only use for it is a casual gameplay mode that nobody ever uses. Shelling out $15 for an equally useless book of lovely tie-in fiction is a bargain by comparison.

Did this sort of thing ever bite them in the rear end. It seems there's a level of grift that gets too much in the wargaming industry and if you aren't Games Workshop people aren't as willing to look the other way when they feel like they are being taken advantage of regardless of the game's quality.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

X wing makes more money than all their other games combined, so no.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I love the flavor text on this new survivor card.

What are everyone else's favorites?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, getting sick of losing at the core campaign. Do you have to get super lucky to get the best result using only the core cards, or am I just bad at this? Do I have to use Roland?

That should be an ally. :colbert:

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 26, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Ragnar34 posted:

Okay, getting sick of losing at the core campaign. Do you have to get super lucky to get the best result using only the core cards, or am I just bad at this? Do I have to use Roland?

That should be an ally. :colbert:

Do you have two cores?

I was able to reliably beat it on hard with two cores prior to dunwich. I always used Roland with Daisy or Agnes though.

Normal is beatable with one core.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just the one core. The thing that really annoys me about this game is the expectation that I'm going to buy two of the same thing so I can play it properly. There are what, 240 cards in the box? I want another 20 to 40 of them. I keep wondering if there's a way to buy those cards separately.

But I'll try Roland. Maybe I'm just not using the right tool for the job.

(The salt levels may rise but AH:Cards is still really good)

Does this game work well with three players? How different is it?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ragnar34 posted:

Just the one core. The thing that really annoys me about this game is the expectation that I'm going to buy two of the same thing so I can play it properly. There are what, 240 cards in the box? I want another 20 to 40 of them. I keep wondering if there's a way to buy those cards separately.

Preach, sister.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Quick Carcosa Big Box question: of basic weaknesses, I got Overzealous twice and the two others in just one copy. Is that how that's supposed to be?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Lichtenstein posted:

Quick Carcosa Big Box question: of basic weaknesses, I got Overzealous twice and the two others in just one copy. Is that how that's supposed to be?

Yep

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Speaking of Overzealous, I hate Overzealous. Every other weakness you see what's coming before turn one, scenario one, and can tweak your deck accordingly after that mission. Overzealous hits randomly every time, twice.

Maybe that's the point. :(

Edit: parts of this may not apply depending on how you resolve Indebted

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 27, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Overzealous does seem like the worst basic weakness to get.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Radish posted:

Overzealous does seem like the worst basic weakness to get.

I don't know, there are some combos that are really bad (like Drawing the Sign for Minh, which combos superbad with her signature weakness, as I've experienced). The thing with Overzealous is that it's super-swingy, from not that bad at all to you-just-lost-the-scenario bad. I imagine that Zoey won't care too much, for example, because she can cope with both will-tests and enemies. But overall, yeah, I think it's up there with the worst, and you get two copies to boot :(

Haven't played with it yet myself though, but I guess it's only a matter of time before it shows up :/

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Every single deck I've built has given me Paranoia. I'm now paranoid about drawing Paranoia.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Single Tight Female posted:

Speaking of Overzealous, I hate Overzealous. Every other weakness you see what's coming before turn one, scenario one, and can tweak your deck accordingly after that mission. Overzealous hits randomly every time, twice.

Maybe that's the point. :(

Edit: parts of this may not apply depending on how you resolve Indebted

Wait you put both copies of overzealous into your deck?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Wait you put both copies of overzealous into your deck?

Oh god no, they meant that since there are 2 copies in the collection, you're more likely to randomly get it when constructing your deck.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Oh god no, they meant that since there are 2 copies in the collection, you're more likely to randomly get it when constructing your deck.

No what I meant was Overzealous draws an encounter card - which gains surge. So you draw two encounter cards. That's the random effect twice.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yeah Overzealous seems a bit out of line with some of the others. Most of the others roughly are the equivalent of two actions to mitigate. Overzealous can be backbreaking.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm a cheating bastard and choose a thematic/more fun weakness for each of my decks instead of doing it randomly. Paranoia and Amnesia are just a little too punishing for most investigators to really be any fun.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I'm a cheating bastard and choose a thematic/more fun weakness for each of my decks instead of doing it randomly. Paranoia and Amnesia are just a little too punishing for most investigators to really be any fun.

I do this too. I think it gives your characters more personality when Skids is buried in debt or pursued by a stubborn detective, or Minh starts obsessively drawing the yellow sign, etc.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Someday I'll beat mission three. Statistically speaking, as I play the mission an ever greater number of times, the chance of drawing a +1 token 20 times in a row approaches infinity. And I WILL be playing mission three an infinite number of times, because when I'm in Hell they're going to make me play it for all eternity.

YancyQ posted:

I do this too. I think it gives your characters more personality when Skids is buried in debt or pursued by a stubborn detective, or Minh starts obsessively drawing the yellow sign, etc.
Stubborn detective is always pretty funny. Yesterday I was Wendy and I was fighting off four ghouls with a baseball bat and he popped up like, "I know what you did, you monster!" Now there's a man who's bad at reading the room.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Ragnar34 posted:

Stubborn detective is always pretty funny. Yesterday I was Wendy and I was fighting off four ghouls with a baseball bat and he popped up like, "I know what you did, you monster!" Now there's a man who's bad at reading the room.

I imagine him as Columbo.

*RAAAAARGH*
“I understand, you’re a very busy woman, but there’s just this ONE THING about the case I can’t quite figure out...”

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Are there any US sites that stock this and ship reasonably cheaply to the UK? Lost in Time and Space is either out of stock or ridiculously overpriced everywhere here. I thought FFG already issued the re-print?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Carcosa trip report - Encounter 1 - "Curtain Call":

Once we realized we were in no real danger of running out of time we went into XP farming mode. Thanks to some well-placed Mystic spells we walked out with 10 XP and a solved Strange Solution.

I've spent 9 already, and now Yorick can't wait to start recurring the Red-Gloved Man from my "graveyard".
:getin: