Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

When I did my paladin his dueling style added 2 to hit, and none for damage, I did it backwards? Or do they get both?

e: This is really loving me up why would dueling do more damage instead of making your hits more reliable because of your skill?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Krinkle posted:

When I did my paladin his dueling style added 2 to hit, and none for damage, I did it backwards? Or do they get both?

e: This is really loving me up why would dueling do more damage instead of making your hits more reliable because of your skill?

https://open5e.com/classes/paladin.html

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think taking Expeditious retreat might be better. 10 minute spell which basically doubles your movement since you wouldn't otherwise be using your bonus action.

Expeditious Retreat would be good for that, but you'd be giving up a spell known and spell slots for it. It's not a bad idea if you're going all in on using spell slots to whip-smite, but might be costly if you want your Sorladin to do other stuff too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Krinkle posted:

It supposed to pretty much be a fighting style that makes one handed weapons, along with sword and board better at dealing damage. (Shields don't count as weapons, so you still get the plus 2 damage if you hold a shield.)

Also why would dueling make your hits more reliable rather then better at inflicting damge because of your skill? It can be explained ether way.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Splicer posted:

It is weird and dumb welcome to D&D. Death to ability scores.

You seem to be going 14 str 15 con 12 cha before modifiers. I'd switch that to 15 str 13(14) con and 14 (16) cha. Lot of paladin stuff keys off cha as does a rakeload of skills, you'll get more use out of it.

Take bless at level 2, spend your first round powering up like goku and feeding two of your party members attack buffs. Bit boring but they will love you for it.

That said, Scourge Aasimar doesn't mean evil, it also has aasimar infected by necrotic/demonic energies as a child as an origin. Backstory of some kind of big bad attacks your village or whatever, you catch magic sickness and oh no palette swap. Then play this chill, completely not grimdark dude because yeah you've got smoke for eyes and skelewings but that's not all you are, y'know? You don't let that, like, define you.

(death to ability scores)

That change leaves me with 2 left for the point buy so i can put 1 more in a stat or raise intelligence to 10. I guess put it in Charisma then bump str/cha to 16 at 4?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CJ posted:

That change leaves me with 2 left for the point buy so i can put 1 more in a stat or raise intelligence to 10. I guess put it in Charisma then bump str/cha to 16 at 4?

Some more Wisdom or Con would be useful.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also why would dueling make your hits more reliable rather then better at inflicting damge because of your skill?

Because disregarding D&D mechanics, duelling was hardly ever about killing until pistols made killing practically inevitable. It was far more likely to be about trying to make your opponent yield/submit, start bleeding, (actually or symbolically) fall down, or (actually or symbolically) run away.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Because disregarding D&D mechanics, duelling was hardly ever about killing until pistols made killing practically inevitable. It was far more likely to be about trying to make your opponent yield/submit, start bleeding, (actually or symbolically) fall down, or (actually or symbolically) run away.

That could work with being able to get in a wounding blow better.

Anyway I was just trying to point out it could be taken ether way.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Krinkle posted:

"I handle sword good" can be abstracted to mean both a better to-hit or a better damage roll, but making it damage is marginally better for "balance" purposes since to-hit is significantly more valuable.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Splicer posted:

At that point though you have a wizard who's almost as good at fightering as a fighter and also every bit as good at wizarding as a wizard. The base wizard chassis is so strong that realistically there's no way to dump enough fighter into it that it's both good at fighting and also not just better than a fighter in every possible way. If they wanted a gish they should have made a gish class, but they didn't because ???

Nah, Fighter stays on top in terms of frontline duty and direct melee damage through its class features. My proposed changes grant basic competence which leads to viability if focused on that route, but a fighterman will continue being better at fighting.

And there *is* a gish class. It's called Paladin.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
New DM here, how do you handle loot? Is it just random from the DMG or do you choose specific items for each PC class? My group relies on a monk to be up front and a ranger to cure wounds so I'm thinking I try to shore up those aspects with items so they don't die immediately.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Well, as a DM you balance challenges and encounters as per the party's capabilities, so you shouldn't be under pressure to boost specific aspects of them. Perhaps if they're just plain playing wrong you throw them an item or two as a crutch to make this balancing easier, but other than that it's perfectly fine to just drop random magical loot.

That said, getting completely useless items kind of sucks (ie magical shield on a party that absolutely doesn't and will never use shields) so either skip those results to give something else, or give them a chance to trade them for more useful stuff at a magical bazaar or auction or from other adventurers.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Any given game's sample size (of rolls on random loot tables) is small enough that people end up being certain that their random-roll game either gives out heaps of X or very little X, regardless of what specific kind of look X might be. I would guess that if you worked it out statistically, the chances of a player receiving class-specific loot would be very low regardless of the makeup of the party.

If I for some reason decided not to choose items that characters will find useful, I would randomly roll way too much magic loot, and then take most of it off them again. It's easy to do that by setting the cost of <thing they need> to "more gold than you have, or a big magic item and three little ones".

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Well, as a DM you balance challenges and encounters as per the party's capabilities, so you shouldn't be under pressure to boost specific aspects of them. Perhaps if they're just plain playing wrong you throw them an item or two as a crutch to make this balancing easier, but other than that it's perfectly fine to just drop random magical loot.

That said, getting completely useless items kind of sucks (ie magical shield on a party that absolutely doesn't and will never use shields) so either skip those results to give something else, or give them a chance to trade them for more useful stuff at a magical bazaar or auction or from other adventurers.

At that point just kill them.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Schwza posted:

My group relies on a monk to be up front and a ranger to cure wounds

Interesting. How's that working out?

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
They are almost level three, routinely run low on hp, and have been really lucky with some key rolls. They have really taken to the murder hobo way of life.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

e: Never mind, the question I had was answered and the advice I was giving was irrelevant.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Level 1-3 combat is very swingy so that's normal; even full HP is low HP at those levels, and part of why people recommend starting at level 3.

They don't need magic items.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

They might like magic items though, give some cool ones out and see.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Give them a bag of holding, cinched closed.

Don't tell them it's full of animated skeletons.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Eversmoking bong.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I used that idea in a boss fight. The party was fighting an aarakocra lich and figured "it's just one bird what can it do?" Then it opened a bag of holding and dropped a bunch of skeletons on them.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Schwza posted:

New DM here, how do you handle loot? Is it just random from the DMG or do you choose specific items for each PC class? My group relies on a monk to be up front and a ranger to cure wounds so I'm thinking I try to shore up those aspects with items so they don't die immediately.

My gut says to go with random as per the DMG to start with, but with changing weapons/armor to stuff they can use or are fond of. So if your barbarian is a fan of swinging his axe, and you roll for a +1 Quarterstaff, make it into a +1 greataxe, for example. Remember that you can always use magic to change stuff, rather than outright "You find an X". Magical ray hits his axe? Now it's a +1 axe, to continue the example.

Down the line, I'd recommend, again gut-feeling here, to see what they might like. Is one player enjoying being sneaky? Give them something to tangentially help with that, not a Gem of Brightness. This is player-wise, rather than just character-wise, although obviously there's some overlap (the player who enjoys being sneaky will be more likely to be playing a rogue than a barbarian :v: )

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Soylent Pudding posted:

I used that idea in a boss fight. The party was fighting an aarakocra lich and figured "it's just one bird what can it do?" Then it opened a bag of holding and dropped a bunch of skeletons on them.

Well that seems kind of lacking in Foresight. If it's a lich it's a very powerful caster.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If you know your players and where they want to take their characters, give them relevant items to their class or play style. Ask them for a list if you're stuck, pick from random at that.

Then sprinkle all kinds of silly things that anyone can use. Go nuts, give them those throwing spheres that are basically pokeballs, that glue that lasts forever, a bag of holding or two*, maybe a portable hole.

*Autocorrect changed this to "bag of holding it together" which sounds like a great item.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well that seems kind of lacking in Foresight. If it's a lich it's a very powerful caster.

It happens. They also didn't expect half the skeletons to be orc skeletons for extra smashy.

Also throw in magic items that seem fun and give options for creativity. I once had a party escape a dungeon deathtrap through a very creative use of a speak with pants scroll they scavenged from the dumpster behind a wizard tower.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I'm playing in a level 4 Halloween oneshot. My character concept is "Van Helsing, but a turtle." I built a level 4 revised ranger with the tortle race (+2 str, +1 wis, 17 natural AC) with a focus on charging into battle with a shortsword and shield. Is there a better way to build this character - other classes I should dip, etc.?

ed: wis, not int

BinaryDoubts fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 23, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ability Scores are dumb, having only one class use Int is even dumber. I'm disappointed those turtles are +2 str/ +1 int, who would even use both of those besides a Bladesinger?

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ability Scores are dumb, having only one class use Int is even dumber. I'm disappointed those turtles are +2 str/ +1 int, who would even use both of those besides a Bladesinger?

It's +Wis, actually. So a little better.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

"bag of holding it together"

Rod of emotional security.

Deck of Delusions

Manual of mental health (DSM +4)

Boots of treppenwitz.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It would clearly be a Blanket of Emotional Security.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It would clearly be a Blanket of Emotional Security.

Maybe if you're not adventurous.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Apparatus of Coping.

Cloak of Displacement. (e: already a thing)

Hat of Protection Against Females.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Elminster’s Mansplaining Manual.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

Elminster’s Mansplaining Manual.

From the Well of Actually, Worlds module.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ring of neurotic resistance

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Portable Emotional Hole

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

I'm preparing for a 5th edition campaign run by my husband of all people and we're both really excited for the changes 5th makes over the impossibly bloated mess of Pathfinder/3.5, the tightly-wound clusterfuck of Fantasy Craft, and the "good for one-offs only" nature of Dungeon World and I keep seeing people in this thread saying 5th is bad off or possibly even the worst its been for a while.

Anyone mind explaining why to someone who's played a whole bunch of 3rd and Pathfinder but hasn't yet touched 5th? Everything I've seen seems to make it out to be really easy to homebrew and monsters, magic items, and classes are way more concise and don't have a million and one +s and abilities to keep track of. Advantage seems like a nice mechanic too if you don't have a party full of mother-may-I's trying to weasel it into every roll ever. What're the big problems with the system?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The saving throw system is a sham. Each ability score is its own saving throw, and classes are generally "proficient" at two of them. Except the vast majority of spells target either the Dexterity save, the Constitution save, or the Wisdom save, which means if you the Fighter are proficient in Strength and Constitution, or you the Bard are proficient in Dexterity and Charisma, then the Strength and Charisma saves are largely useless because you never get to use them!

It's like they really wanted to keep using Reflex (Dexterity) saves, Fortitude (Constitution) saves and Will (Wisdom) saves, but couldn't because they needed to be different, and then having already committed to tying it to the ability scores, they must have thought, gently caress it, let's include the other three as well! So you've got a Fighter that has good saving throws in Fortitude/Constitution and, quelle surprise, bad saving throws in Reflex/Dexterity and Will/Wisdom saves! Just like in 3e! But you have three other numbers that you have to keep track of anyway!

The combat mechanics are a step backwards. We're back to a gentleman's agreement between the DM and the Player to please not have all the Orcs run past the Fighter after he's used his one Opportunity Attack. They've only just recently begun making a dent in this with the Unearthed Arcana articles, but taking the Knight archetype (if your DM allows it) means you get to miss out on the interactivity of a Battlemaster's Superiority Dice anyway.

And speaking of the Battlemaster, how hosed-up is it that the Champion, whose one and only job it is is to swing at dudes and kill them, still cannot output more damage than a Battlemaster unless the DM is egregiously violating the number of encounters between Short Rests?

The healing mechanics are a step backwards. Clerics are back to spending Standard Actions to play healbot, and the tight, logical interaction of Healing Surges with the intra-day encounter mechanics was just entirely taken out. Credit to 5e for a lack of solid crafting rules so that you don't have to worry about the players making Wands of Cure Light Wounds anymore, but even the Healing Hit Dice design makes just about zero sense: it's always the rough equivalent of your health, and gaining more levels only means you get finer control over when and how you get to spend it.

At level 1, you have 8 HP, and you have a single 1d8 Healing Hit Dice. At level 5, you have 8 + 4d8 HP, and 5d8 Healing Hit Dice. It doesn't give you more longevity, but it doesn't really get any better either - you just waste less of it as each Die starts representing a progressively smaller proportion of your health.

Which brings me to my next point that Mike Mearls does not have a single innovative bone in his body. The Healing Hit Dice is a direct rip-off of Reserve Points from Iron Heroes, except worse, because these Healing Hit Dice in 5e are rolled, so a level 1 Bard with 8 HP can't choose to restore just the 4 HP now and the 4 HP later. And Iron Heroes's Reserve Points itself was lifted out of 3e's Unearthed Arcana. The simplification of the Vancian spell system so that slots are no longer tied to spells? Yet another copy-paste from Unearthed Arcana, page 153.

They still haven't meaningfully iterated upon the feat system, where Lucky is competing with Sentinel is competing with Tavern Brawler is competing with loving Linguist.

They're still running on a system of 5-foot squares and measurements, despite telling people that you can totally run the game gridless.

The damage/health ratios are a complete step backwards, where you've got level 1 characters with 8-12 HP fighting goblins that still deal 1d6 damage on a hit.

The naturalistic language makes a total mess of trying to run the game "RAW", because there's just so much of it that you either have to fill in yourself or else it doesn't make any sense. Unarmed Attacks had to go through at least two different sets of errata, and woe betide the player that thinks Bonus Action means "an Action, but another one as a bonus"

And that's not even covering the entire swathes of the DMG that were just copy-pasted from earlier books, the equipment list that has you spending individual copper coins on pieces of loving chalk when you start with 100 GP, the Unearthed Arcana where they couldn't be bothered to fix a math mistake from over a decade ago, and all the "balance" issues like the book Ranger being a piece of poo poo, the Berserker Barbarian being a piece of poo poo, and the entire goddamned dynamic of casters still being strictly superior to martial classes.

Now, to be the least bit fair, it's not really hard to "bolt on" whatever pieces of homebrewed design you want to in an attempt to fix these issues. Set the confusing naturalistic language in stone, per your interpretation, for your home game. Copy over the Tome of Battle Maneuvers and give them to the Fighter. Limit the Wizard to only learning spells from scrolls that you as the DM deign to let them have.

But if you're going to play armchair designer, you can download a copy of Basic Fantasy for free and use that instead. Won't cost you a dime.
And if you're a newcomer to the genre, it's downright execrable to ask someone to play armchair designer by dead reckoning. How do they even know what the issues are that they need to fix, much less know how to fix them?

And that, for me, is the core of my problem with 5th edition. I played it three separate times. The first resulted in a TPK. The second also in a TPK. Before I did the third I rolled up my shirtsleeves and redesigned the monster math from the ground up. Ran it again. Great session that time - an hour of medieval mystery to search for a stolen locket followed by another hour's dungeon crawl to clean out a Druid's grove of corrupting cultists. Finished on time, with a satisfying resolution, the players hurt and tense but not completely broken.

After that I stopped - because if I needed to put in that much work to make it work, the designers weren't doing their drat jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fumbles posted:

I'm preparing for a 5th edition campaign run by my husband of all people and we're both really excited for the changes 5th makes over the impossibly bloated mess of Pathfinder/3.5, the tightly-wound clusterfuck of Fantasy Craft, and the "good for one-offs only" nature of Dungeon World and I keep seeing people in this thread saying 5th is bad off or possibly even the worst its been for a while.

Anyone mind explaining why to someone who's played a whole bunch of 3rd and Pathfinder but hasn't yet touched 5th? Everything I've seen seems to make it out to be really easy to homebrew and monsters, magic items, and classes are way more concise and don't have a million and one +s and abilities to keep track of. Advantage seems like a nice mechanic too if you don't have a party full of mother-may-I's trying to weasel it into every roll ever. What're the big problems with the system?

5e wasn't made for anyone who wants a good product for a good price; it was made for people who want to be told that 3.5 is the morally correct way to do elfgames. The system is half-assed garbage and does nothing you can't do every bit as easily in 4e, 3.5, or any other system where the designers actually made an effort.