Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

WrenP-Complete posted:

I have convinced a new friend to like birds by showing him endless pictures of STEVE! He is very beloved, Battle Pigeon! Thank you!

:kimchi:

I'm surprised a bit, how Steve seems to be the most popular of my three, on and offline. Ohtori can wear hats and do tricks and is a beautiful fruit loops birb but I guess adorable banana bird with mutton chops wins out for cuteness. His name seems to help too.

(I'd post more photos but can't for a while)

Pip pip pip posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for bird-warming things? We have a heated perch that Nugget really loves, but Ozzy doesn't like to sit on it. The radiators in our apartment are really obnoxious, it's either 85F or 65F and apparently no setting in between. 65F seems the better option to not have an insane electric bill but I know at least Nugget likes something warm when it's that cool.

Ozzy doesn't like the cozy hut/bed things we've tried in the past. I was thinking maybe one of these things since he is a conure and therefore loves to cuddle/lean on things: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLA19FW
Anyone tried one of these with their bird? The reviews sound pretty good.

They look nice, a conure would probably adore that. Maybe also something like these?

https://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/comfort-snuggle-small

https://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/harry-hammock

https://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/pieces-o-felt

Inko and Ohtori both have a shelf with a comfort snuggle tied to the bars there. Ohtori also has that felt toy on his next to the snuggle, acting as a back wall so the whole area has the bars covered with warm stuff. Lately I've also folded a bunch of sheets of kitchen roll in half then half again, and impaled it on a carabiner. It was meant to be for ripping up but it's actually quite warm so it got hung next to the snuggle at the end of his shelf where his head ends up and he hasn't chewed it up yet.

Inko has cardboard between his snug and the bars, both for extra insulation, to chew on, and to stop him eating the snuggle strings that hold in on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Pip pip pip posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for bird-warming things? We have a heated perch that Nugget really loves, but Ozzy doesn't like to sit on it. The radiators in our apartment are really obnoxious, it's either 85F or 65F and apparently no setting in between. 65F seems the better option to not have an insane electric bill but I know at least Nugget likes something warm when it's that cool.

Ozzy doesn't like the cozy hut/bed things we've tried in the past. I was thinking maybe one of these things since he is a conure and therefore loves to cuddle/lean on things: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLA19FW
Anyone tried one of these with their bird? The reviews sound pretty good.

We have that! Cricket loves it in the winter....we plug it in around Thanksgiving, (and unplug around the end of March/beginning of April) and she can snuggle up to it as she wants. It is set up right next to her sleeping perch she likes and her squiddy sleeper. It's rather energy efficient as well :) Its gets cold here where we are.... and our house can get cold at times in the night. There have been a few times when the outside temp has dropped to the mid-teens in the daytime! Inside it's not too bad, but between the times the house heater kicks in and is working, it can get a bit cold inside...like low 60's. I figure if I am cold enough to want my big fluffy warm duvet on the bed...she is probably cold too.

So, we have her cage covered in her towels/blackout curtain (lots of airflow so no worries there!) and her little heater plugged in. She has the option to snuggle up to it if she wants OR can just go sleep under her fleecy squiddy....she has even pulled it over to the little plate heater a few times to get extra comfy I guess. No worries about fire hazard with that heater though! We leave it on all day and night so she has the option to sit by it whenever she wishes. She does occasionally during the day, but it usually is after she has been sitting next to the cold window watching the birds playing on ice or the snow falling outside.

Its been a great purchase...I can't recommend it enough.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 22, 2017

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Battle Pigeon posted:

They look nice, a conure would probably adore that. Maybe also something like these?

https://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/comfort-snuggle-small

https://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/harry-hammock

https://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/pieces-o-felt

Inko and Ohtori both have a shelf with a comfort snuggle tied to the bars there. Ohtori also has that felt toy on his next to the snuggle, acting as a back wall so the whole area has the bars covered with warm stuff. Lately I've also folded a bunch of sheets of kitchen roll in half then half again, and impaled it on a carabiner. It was meant to be for ripping up but it's actually quite warm so it got hung next to the snuggle at the end of his shelf where his head ends up and he hasn't chewed it up yet.

Inko has cardboard between his snug and the bars, both for extra insulation, to chew on, and to stop him eating the snuggle strings that hold in on.

I wonder how Ozzy would feel about the fleecy snuggle things. He hates my fleecy sweaters, hates my fleecy blanket that I keep on the couch. Basically he hates any fuzzy material as far as I can tell :confused: Maybe he would like that Pieces O Felt type of toy, and I could make something similar to the snuggle but with a less fluffy material like t-shirt or something. I have a couple fluffy preening type toys that I took out of the cage because he kept, um, feeding them. I'll shuffle the cage around a bit and maybe try adding them back in. I like the cardboard and kitchen roll ideas!

Disco Salmon posted:

We have that! Cricket loves it in the winter....we plug it in around Thanksgiving, (and unplug around the end of March/beginning of April) and she can snuggle up to it as she wants. It is set up right next to her sleeping perch she likes and her squiddy sleeper. It's rather energy efficient as well :) Its gets cold here where we are.... and our house can get cold at times in the night. There have been a few times when the outside temp has dropped to the mid-teens in the daytime! Inside it's not too bad, but between the times the house heater kicks in and is working, it can get a bit cold inside...like low 60's. I figure if I am cold enough to want my big fluffy warm duvet on the bed...she is probably cold too.

So, we have her cage covered in her towels/blackout curtain (lots of airflow so no worries there!) and her little heater plugged in. She has the option to snuggle up to it if she wants OR can just go sleep under her fleecy squiddy....she has even pulled it over to the little plate heater a few times to get extra comfy I guess. No worries about fire hazard with that heater though! We leave it on all day and night so she has the option to sit by it whenever she wishes. She does occasionally during the day, but it usually is after she has been sitting next to the cold window watching the birds playing on ice or the snow falling outside.

Its been a great purchase...I can't recommend it enough.
We've actually lived in much colder places than this with the birds, but the heat/insulation wasn't so sucky as it is here? It doesn't even really go below freezing outside except on rare occasion!

Glad to hear Cricket likes that Bird Warmer (I love that it is called a Bird Warmer lol). Where'd you get the fleece squid toy? :) That parrot store on Mercer Island?

Obligatory, since it's been a while since I posted any:. Enjoying some sun after 5 days straight of clouds and rain.

Edit: LMAO So, I'm sitting on the couch derping on my computer and Nugget is sitting on top of the cage apparently trying to have a conversation with me. She apparently got annoyed that I was not participating enough.
:derptiel: : peep
:j: : (no response)
:derptiel: : peep?
:j: :
(this goes on for ~a minute)
:derptiel: : peep? peep?
:j: :
:derptiel: : PEEEEP! (very loud peep, like her louder frantic flockcall volume)

How dare I not participate in the discussion :colbert:

Pip pip pip fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 22, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What the heck is this real life cartoon bird?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Turaco!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turaco

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Ok, I've gotta get out of here. I'm clearly in ToonTown

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Wtf where is that bird's face :psyduck:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Also known as a "Go-away bird".

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Birds are wierd

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

She looks adorably grumpy about life in this one!

Can't believe that Ozzy hates fleece, it seems like it should be universally loved by conures for being good to cuddle and lie on/against

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tendai posted:

Birds are wierd

This guy is a real goofball.

I tried to take a video of him jumping around but he's really quick.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Before I flood you all with pictures...how do these forums best support videos? I may have just danced with a cockatoo.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mp4

YouTube

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

I should have been more specific -

Will the BB code to embed a youtube video make my mac explode and is there a better alternative?

Even though I use Chrome, my browser/computer hates this website.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

:kimchi:

I'm surprised a bit, how Steve seems to be the most popular of my three, on and offline. Ohtori can wear hats and do tricks and is a beautiful fruit loops birb but I guess adorable banana bird with mutton chops wins out for cuteness. His name seems to help too.
Cockatiels always will occupy a very special place in my heart and Steve is such a... cockatiel, in every way :3: I love watching his interactions with Ohtori and also just him being a derp.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I went to hang out withe future birb today and a lady from danmed Idaho had called in to put the bird on hold to have "it" sexed. She will buy it if it's a lady.

Weird request from a part of the country I'm not sure is real - but more power to anyone doing their thing.

I was in the room where their parrots get their daily play. Their cockatoo with the shame cone, Annie, was being super friendly. I turned to look at the wall, and upon turning back I saw THIS!

A little juvenile Caique was about to use my hat as a method to jump to the toys on the wall. He then proceeded to fly all around the play area trying to get the toys that were NOT for sale. Adorable.

OWL FINCHES! They have sold a few pair. Now a little zebra has joined them. I took a lot of pictures, but this is the best?

Here is the Cape Parrot doing...something. This guy acts very uniquely and I got to hold him the other day. Very unique bird in North America.

So, hope in seven to ten days the quaker is a Mr. Quaker and the forums might get a new bird. If he is a male and I don't need a new ankle or splenic God knows what done to me.

I love you all. Keep posting. :)

P. S. Talking cockatoo videos later if my browser cooperates.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Log posted:

I went to hang out withe future birb today and a lady from danmed Idaho had called in to put the bird on hold to have "it" sexed. She will buy it if it's a lady.

Weird request from a part of the country I'm not sure is real - but more power to anyone doing their thing.

I was in the room where their parrots get their daily play. Their cockatoo with the shame cone, Annie, was being super friendly. I turned to look at the wall, and upon turning back I saw THIS!

(((vibrates)))

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

(((vibrates)))

Side Note : I know some regulars are looking at medium to small sized parrots right now.

Caiques can do a literal ear splitting whistle seemingly at random. It's Sun Conure freak out level loud.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Makes sense, since caiques are just Birb(tm), but turned up to eleven.

https://twitter.com/saqu_ma/status/922099602572001281

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
what even are caiques?

we just don't know

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

GoldStandardConure posted:

what even are caiques?

we just don't know

They literally act like R2-D2 with a beak. It's hysterical how adventurous they seem to be. They were on my possible new bird list but unfortunately they're too noisy for my apartment with my Pops living in the second bedroom.

I'd love an Indian Ringneck, but the only breeder I've met who produces anything other than skittish feathered can openers is in Florida...I think.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Battle Pigeon posted:

Can't believe that Ozzy hates fleece, it seems like it should be universally loved by conures for being good to cuddle and lie on/against

Ozzy is defective. He isn't super velcro like every other conure either. I love him but he totally does not fit the normal gcc personality description :confused:

@Captain Log, cool pictures! I love Cape Parrots. They are so sweet and dopey looking :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Pip pip pip posted:

Ozzy is defective. He isn't super velcro like every other conure either. I love him but he totally does not fit the normal gcc personality description :confused:

@Captain Log, cool pictures! I love Cape Parrots. They are so sweet and dopey looking :3:

Have you held one? They look lighter than an Amazon but weigh (at least this one did) on par with an Amazon. It felt like a jacked bird.

Here is Annie the cockatoo, who was left on their doorstep with a major chest wound. Six months after surgery and she is doing great! And talking!

She even says, "What?" at strangely appropriate times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnE_J4jFOik

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
1 year old, and have only just now got his stupid adorable preening face.

Well, except his cere is brown now so he's definitely a girl. Whatevs.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
I just got my first birds last week and I'm super stoked. A pair of zebra finches! So far all seems good, even though they need to get a bigger cage. The one I ordered online ages ago haven't showed up, so I had to put the birds in a temporary smaller cage from the local pet store :/

I have two questions:
I'm trying to figure out what the different calls they make mean. I get the the constant beeping, the male song, and the louder beeping when they answer to what they assume are other finches (they keep responding to certain radio jingles haha).
However, they've also made these rapid, loud toots a couple of times, that don't seem to be in response to anything audible or visual (at least not anything I've heard or seen). Both of them are quietly chilling out on a perch and then they suddenly let out this loud string of toots, and begin flying around again. Is this a distress call or something?

Also, I've attached a small plastic bath on one of the cagedoors, as I've understood zebra finches enjoy taking a bath. However, they don't seem to use it. They land on the side of it, have a quick peek into it, before flying off again. Anyone got any ideas why? The water is about 1 cm deep, but there's room for more if that's what I'm doing wrong.

also, here they are :3:

Truck Stop Daddy fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 23, 2017

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I love beepers :kimchi:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I always wonder where finches get all the coke they so clearly snort 24/7.

How do you even do a line with a beak?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I always wonder where finches get all the coke they so clearly snort 24/7.

How do you even do a line with a beak?

How indeed...

https://twitter.com/pechigin/status/920905804563099648

fabulous

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 23, 2017

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Pip pip pip posted:

Glad to hear Cricket likes that Bird Warmer (I love that it is called a Bird Warmer lol). Where'd you get the fleece squid toy? :) That parrot store on Mercer Island?

I actually got it from the little store that my bird raiser has that raised Cricket for me. I have not been to Mercer Island yet to see the store there... I usually just get Cricket her bits and bobs thru the mail or from Grandma :P Or, I order from MySafeBirdStore.Com. I have also seen them here: http://www.crazyforbirdtoys.com/large-toys/squiddy-large

She LOVES it.... the green is her favorite and it has to go with her when she stays overnight at the bird raisers or the vets for boarding.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 23, 2017

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

I had no idea parrots did cocaine. None whatsoever.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck6-1IF4xDY

It's hard to get action shots of Scout but I finally got her fighting her bell on video.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tcc crossthread: what substance does each pet abuse

Birbs are coke
Cats are opiates
Dogs are pot/meth
Fish are krocodil (cause all they do is die)
Etc etc etc

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Captain Log posted:

I had no idea parrots did cocaine. None whatsoever.

Cockatoos aren't naturally white.
Tragic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Finally got some half-decent pics of Nemo.

Nemo's old cage was frankly poo poo. It was loving old, I assume, because I've never had a birdcage that didn't have a mesh or a tray at the bottom. We threw it the gently caress out. She had to make do with a travel cage for a couple days. Not a big deal, since she's an old potato bird.

She's been recovering well, for the most part. The only recent incident is that she freaked out and reopened her wounds the other day, and bled a bit. Her first problem is that she thrashed out her flight feathers and hasn't figured that out yet. Second is that she definitely has arthritis; you can tell by how slowly and tentatively she steps up. (Yes, she is already stepping up for us.) So she'll step up onto your finger and immediately try to jump the distance to your chest or shoulder.

Owing to the arthritis, we bought her a wide, low cage. I just need a proper table for it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

"Her"? Based on you saying it's an old bird, and the feather coloring, that's clearly a male. Female (natural gray) cockatiels have an almost gray head, and clear patterning on the belly and tail, while males have a clearly yellow head and plain gray wings and tail (except for the white tips on the wing feathers.) Babies who haven't had their first molt yet look like females.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

"Her"? Based on you saying it's an old bird, and the feather coloring, that's clearly a male. Female (natural gray) cockatiels have an almost gray head, and clear patterning on the belly and tail, while males have a clearly yellow head and plain gray wings and tail (except for the white tips on the wing feathers.) Babies who haven't had their first molt yet look like females.

Maybe the bird identifies as a lady, judgy mcjudgerstein.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was told it's a female bird. This would not be the first time I was wrong about that.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My mother has misgendered every bird I've ever had, knowingly and with some I think bizarre Delight. Never affected judah's rugged masculinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Our macaw didn't let being called Basil stop him from laying eggs and flirting outrageously with every man