Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Pz.Kpfw. VII Lowe

Queue: Tiger #114, Chrysler K, A1E1 Independent, Valentine I-IV, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Strv 81 and Strv 101, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41, Czechoslovakian post-war prototypes, Praga AH-IV, KV-1S, KV-13, Bazooka, Super Bazooka, Matilda, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, Renault FT, Somua, SU-122, SU-122M, KV-13 to IS, T-60 factory #37, D.W. and VK 30.01(H), Wespe and other PzII SPGs, Pz38(t) in the USSR, Prospective French tanks, Medium Tank M7, Churchill II-IV, GAZ-71 and GAZ-72, Production and combat of the KV-1S, L-10 and L-30, Strv m/21, Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951, Pz.Sfl.V Sturer Emil, PzII Ausf. G-H, Marder III, Pershing trials in the USSR, Tiger study in the USSR, PIAT

Available for request:

:ussr:
IM-1 squeezebore cannon
45 mm M-6 gun
IS-2 (Object 234) and other Soviet heavy howitzer tanks
T-70B
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
SU-152
T-26 improved track projects
Object 238 and other improvements on the KV-1S
SU-76 NEW

:britain:
25-pounder
Lee and Grant tanks in British service
:911:
105 mm howitzer M2A1

Heavy tanks M6, M6A1, and T1E1
37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3
GMC M12NEW

:godwin:
15 cm sIG 33
10.5 cm leFH 18
PzII Ausf. J
VK 30.01(P)/Typ 100/Leopard
VK 36.01(H)
Luchs, Leopard, and other recon tanks NEW

:poland:
47 mm wz.25 infantry gun

:france:
SAu 40 and other medium SPGs

:sweden:
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Strv m/21
Strv m/41
pvkv m/43
Sav m/43

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I went to York minster once and it was like £20 to get in. gently caress that

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i like this picture so much that if i ever teach a course on the concept of the military revolution i'm'a use it: from the invention of gunpowder until the day that picture was taken, a big pile of dirt is a good idea

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You're not wrong but how do you feel about the earlier militarized pile of dirt, the motte?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

You're not wrong but how do you feel about the earlier militarized pile of dirt, the motte?
i mean it's a pile of dirt for a different reason

and then there's the maori pile of dirt, the pa

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The most important piece of military equipment in history: the shovel.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The most important piece of military equipment in history: the shovel.

But what if,

stay with me guys

what if we put a hole in it

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

But what if,

stay with me guys

what if we put a hole in it

Don't forget making the drat thing like 6 lbs too.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ensign Expendable posted:

Pz.Kpfw. VII Lowe

Queue: Tiger #114, Chrysler K, A1E1 Independent, Valentine I-IV, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Strv 81 and Strv 101, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41, Czechoslovakian post-war prototypes, Praga AH-IV, KV-1S, KV-13, Bazooka, Super Bazooka, Matilda, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, Renault FT, Somua, SU-122, SU-122M, KV-13 to IS, T-60 factory #37, D.W. and VK 30.01(H), Wespe and other PzII SPGs, Pz38(t) in the USSR, Prospective French tanks, Medium Tank M7, Churchill II-IV, GAZ-71 and GAZ-72, Production and combat of the KV-1S, L-10 and L-30, Strv m/21, Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951, Pz.Sfl.V Sturer Emil, PzII Ausf. G-H, Marder III, Pershing trials in the USSR, Tiger study in the USSR, PIAT

Available for request:

IM-1 squeezebore cannon
45 mm M-6 gun
T-70B
SU-152
SU-76 NEW

25-pounder
105 mm howitzer M2A1

37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3
GMC M12NEW

15 cm sIG 33
10.5 cm leFH 18
PzII Ausf. J
VK 36.01(H)

47 mm wz.25 infantry gun

Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Strv m/21
Strv m/41
pvkv m/43
Sav m/43

I'm confused at how long the Lowe was in development for, only for nothing to basically come from it, but somehow the Panther and Tiger came out earlier from a separate project started later?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

feedmegin posted:

You realise that's not a WW2-era Panzerfaust, right, given the context of discussion here?

I didn't realize that at all! I just figured they wouldn't still be calling it a Panzerfaust some 70 years later.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

I didn't realize that at all! I just figured they wouldn't still be calling it a Panzerfaust some 70 years later.

Thats sorta the name of the weapon though.

Maschinengewehr (42) translates to machine gun. Just like how they are using the MG 3 now. Same thing with Panzerfaust

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We're still calling armored fighting vehicles by a century-old code name. I think the Jerries have figured it out by now, but we still use the code name.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Saint Celestine posted:

Maschinengewehr (42) translates to machine gun.
machine weapon, que no?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Saint Celestine posted:

Maschinengewehr (42) translates to machine gun. Just like how they are using the MG 3 now. Same thing with Panzerfaust

Isn't the MG3 literally a modified MG42 anyway?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
^^ well yes, but I was making the point of MG42, MG3, and Panzerfaust, Panzerfaust 3.

HEY GAIL posted:

machine weapon, que no?

The internet tells me it directly translates to "machine gun" - https://www.dict.cc/deutsch-englisch/Maschinengewehr.html, but was probably used interchangably with weapon.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAIL posted:

machine weapon, que no?

In a modern context it’s basically always “gun”. I always see Waffe used as a generic for “weapon”. You see this with adjectives too, zB “bewaffnete” is used for everything from bewaffnete Streitkräfte to bewaffneter Raub.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

In a modern context it’s basically always “gun”. I always see Waffe used as a generic for “weapon”. You see this with adjectives too, zB “bewaffnete” is used for everything from bewaffnete Streitkräfte to bewaffneter Raub.
i looked it up and i'm not actually sure there is a generic early modern word for gun. You have pistols, muskets, carbines, the various kinds of cannon...There's a few generic terms for cannon at least.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fun fact, the current modern bayonet in use by the Bundeswehr is still technically called Seitengewehr. I'm pretty sure that's just about the only use of Gewehr nowadays that doesn't refer to a rifle/long gun of some kind.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The generic word for all guns is penis let's be honest.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Perestroika posted:

Fun fact, the current modern bayonet in use by the Bundeswehr is still technically called Seitengewehr. I'm pretty sure that's just about the only use of Gewehr nowadays that doesn't refer to a rifle/long gun of some kind.
that's weird because in the 17th century a seitengewehr is a sword

gewehr with no other modification means pike. a pike is the best and most honorable weapon so it's the only one they just call "weapon."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What do you do if you are in the middle of a battle but lose your pike for some reason?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

What do you do if you are in the middle of a battle but lose your pike for some reason?
draw your sword

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
vincent van goatse, if you like polish wikipedia you will probably also like the hungarian national archives

http://mnl.gov.hu/angol/mnl/ol/about_us_0

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm confused at how long the Lowe was in development for, only for nothing to basically come from it, but somehow the Panther and Tiger came out earlier from a separate project started later?

If you keep changing requirements, any project can go on indefinitely and produce nothing. This kept happening with French tanks after WWII, for example.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAIL posted:

vincent van goatse, if you like polish wikipedia you will probably also like the hungarian national archives

http://mnl.gov.hu/angol/mnl/ol/about_us_0

quote:

Likewise previously, the institution welcomes everybody who is interested in our national past and wants to gather information of individual or common concern.

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Tiger #114

Queue: Chrysler K, A1E1 Independent, Valentine I-IV, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Strv 81 and Strv 101, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41, Czechoslovakian post-war prototypes, Praga AH-IV, KV-1S, KV-13, Bazooka, Super Bazooka, Matilda, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, Renault FT, Somua, SU-122, SU-122M, KV-13 to IS, T-60 factory #37, D.W. and VK 30.01(H), Wespe and other PzII SPGs, Pz38(t) in the USSR, Prospective French tanks, Medium Tank M7, Churchill II-IV, GAZ-71 and GAZ-72, Production and combat of the KV-1S, L-10 and L-30, Strv m/21, Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951, Pz.Sfl.V Sturer Emil, PzII Ausf. G-H, Marder III, Pershing trials in the USSR, Tiger study in the USSR, PIAT, SU-76,
Available for request:

IM-1 squeezebore cannon
45 mm M-6 gun
T-70B
SU-152

25-pounder
105 mm howitzer M2A1

37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3
GMC M12NEW

15 cm sIG 33
10.5 cm leFH 18
PzII Ausf. J
VK 36.01(H)

47 mm wz.25 infantry gun

Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Strv m/21
Strv m/41
pvkv m/43
Sav m/43

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 23, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Definitely want to know more about the SU-76.

EDIT: Also I have a copy of Soviet Women in Combat: A History of Violence; probably going to be a while before I can read it, anyone know how it is?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 22, 2017

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

How easy was it for the Allies to repair a Tiger? I've seen pictures of the gearbox and that alone screams "Germans made this", in regards to being extremely overengineered. I can't imagine there were too many spare parts considering the relative scarcity of the Tiger in the west, did the mechanics just shrug and shove Sherman parts that were almost the same size? (I am not a mechanic and dont know how viable that is).

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I have to imagine they were drawing on the spares and supplies the Germans abandoned during the retreat, plus salvaging from multiple tanks to make one operational.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Man, kinda disappointed that the French didn't actually leave #114 in its French colour scheme in the museum. It'd be worth it for the Wehraboo tears alone!

Also, could I request Heavy tanks M6, M6A1, and T1E1, please?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 23, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.
It's not just that the English is a little weird, it's that the people seem chill, helpful, and enthusiastic. Like a very nice discussion group from a parallel universe where English is a little weird.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Book recommendation post- a friend just asked for audio books she and her grade school kids could listen to about the world wars. I know anything that tries to fit WWI or II into a single volume is going to be a little basic for this thread, but I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

What grade level? GJ Meyer’s A World Undone is the best one volume history of the Great War I’ve seen so far, but it’s still at least high school level really.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

7th grade, or maybe a bit above since he'll have his mother around to ask questions.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
People say that historians have moved past it but the Guns of August has a really good reader on Audible and I liked how it personalized the major players of the war as more than just faceless names that gave orders. It does lean a bit hard in the great man theory and it was written in the 60s so our understanding of WWI has obviously moved on since then but that book is what first got me interested in WWI in any sense beyond "trenches, poets, Tolkien fought here oh and also Hitler got shot"

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
wasn't he gassed though?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Don Gato posted:

How easy was it for the Allies to repair a Tiger?

From that article:

quote:

Scroif and Glagow's Tigers were not left without attention. They became known in early January of 1945. A father-son mechanic duo, Roger and Jean Lecourtier, as well as Bernard Verier, put the tank into working order after a month of work. French tricolour insignia was added to the sides, and the tank received a traditional "geographic" nickname: Bretagne.

So two months of man-hours to get this one tank up and running after a relatively minor scuffle. It wasn't really practical. When proper armies used captured vehicles, which rarely happened (unless that army happens to be the Wehrmacht), they were only used until they broke down. Without mechanics familiar with the vehicles and a supply of spare parts, the effort just wasn't worth it.

However, this was a case of some enthusiastic civilians wanting to get back at their occupiers, so the usual cost-benefit analysis didn't apply.

quote:

I can't imagine there were too many spare parts considering the relative scarcity of the Tiger in the west, did the mechanics just shrug and shove Sherman parts that were almost the same size? (I am not a mechanic and dont know how viable that is).

Parts are definitely not interchangeable. Maybe in some cases foreign parts could be made to work with some very dubious jury rigging, but I'm guessing those fine Frenchmen had some access to parts from the abandoned and destroyed German AFVs littering their land.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 23, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Don Gato posted:

really good reader on Audible

it is John Lee, he's like the daniel day lewis of narrators

ask me about audiobooks, please

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Zorak of Michigan posted:

7th grade, or maybe a bit above since he'll have his mother around to ask questions.
7th grade feels like it'd be right on the edge for A World Undone - but then again I don't usually deal with kids that age. In any case the audiobook has a good reader, and Meyer does have at least one advantage over more in depth works.

A lot of books about the Great War get bogged in detail because there's just so much. Meyer manages a good balance of giving enough specifics without losing the broader perspective to show just how immense the conflict was.

Don Gato posted:

People say that historians have moved past it but the Guns of August has a really good reader on Audible and I liked how it personalized the major players of the war as more than just faceless names that gave orders. It does lean a bit hard in the great man theory and it was written in the 60s so our understanding of WWI has obviously moved on since then but that book is what first got me interested in WWI in any sense beyond "trenches, poets, Tolkien fought here oh and also Hitler got shot"
It seems like there's been a bit of a Renaissance for Guns of August lately, at least as far as the discussions from historians I've seen. The scholarship has moved past it in terms of analysis, but as the war has moved out of living memory, it's still useful as a window into the emotion and uncertainty of the time. It makes sense that most histories are going to focus on untangling and clarifying the narrative so readers know what's actually going on, but statements from those involved make it clear almost everyone was simply overwhelmed by the sheer volume and complexity of events. Guns of August just seems to communicate that aspect in a way other books on the war don't, while still managing to be just clear enough to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bewbies posted:

it is John Lee, he's like the daniel day lewis of narrators

ask me about audiobooks, please

George Guidall from An Army at Dawn has like the perfect voice to be your beloved old grandpa telling about what he did during The War.