Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lowtax is back, correct punctuation only plz

Sorry, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I might be dropping Land Of The Lustrous. It's incredibly pretty and all, but the moment to moment flow of the show seems to run on weird moon-logic and I'm having a really hard time grounding myself in any of the characters or finding any sort of baseline rules about how life in this setting is even supposed to work. Like, this whole episode went in a big circle where I initally thought they were going to scrape Phos out of those big glowing Phos-colored cracks in the snail shell that Dia explicitly notices and uses to fight the snail, but then they wave it off with "Welp there's nothing in the shell", but then Cinnabar basically says "did you check the shell" and they go back to what I assumed they were going to do 20 minutes ago.

Just a really...odd show.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
They're rocks, they're not very smart rocks. Other than Cinnabar, since they have a lot of time to themselves due to not wanting to hurt anyone else by leaking mercury

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Spiritus Nox posted:

I might be dropping Land Of The Lustrous. It's incredibly pretty and all, but the moment to moment flow of the show seems to run on weird moon-logic and I'm having a really hard time grounding myself in any of the characters or finding any sort of baseline rules about how life in this setting is even supposed to work. Like, this whole episode went in a big circle where I initally thought they were going to scrape Phos out of those big glowing Phos-colored cracks in the snail shell that Dia explicitly notices and uses to fight the snail, but then they wave it off with "Welp there's nothing in the shell", but then Cinnabar basically says "did you check the shell" and they go back to what I assumed they were going to do 20 minutes ago.

I think it was mostly that they didn't care all that much. They aren't human and they found her to be particularly annoying. It feels like an alien show and that's the draw for me.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Re: the other part of your spoiler
Inside the shell like where the snail was =/= "inside" the shell as in part of it. The gems are very non-curious so if something isn't completely surface-level obvious to them they aren't going to pick up on it. Cinnabar got it because of his observations which none of the others had done. It seemed obvious to him whereas "Phos is gone, here is a slug, the slug is Phos" was obvious to Diamond. I think the show telegraphed the shell thing bit much though, with the broken parts being so clear. I think having them be more glimmery like later on when they were busting the pieces out would have been a better way to show it so it was more subtle.

e: I will move this post to the show's thread if we move the discussion over there since it's annoying to have big spoiler blocks in the season thread imo.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

That's funny, because it's exactly why I like it. I love the languid tone and inhuman characters. The fact that the show decided to replace it's main character with a snail for the entire third episode is kind of amazing. I was kind of waffling on the show up until this latest episode and now I'm hooked.

Also, isn't 'anime steven universe' a little redundant?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
the cool thing is it predates steven universe but appeared at a time where steven universe would have already been in development so its definitely just a case of 2 ppl on opposite sides of earth having a near identical idea at p much the exact same time

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Homura and Sickle posted:

the cool thing is it predates steven universe but appeared at a time where steven universe would have already been in development so its definitely just a case of 2 ppl on opposite sides of earth having a near identical idea at p much the exact same time

the idea rocks

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Eela6 posted:

the idea, rocks

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

a kitten posted:

♦️Good ♦️ luck ♦️, gay ♦️ foxes.♦️

Do they have human ears? Just skin??? What's under that hair???

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

It appears that the Konohana Kitan mangaka subscribes to the Two Ears theory of Animal Girls

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's the Ear Mystery Zone.

Also found in Otome Yokai Zakuro's fox spirits.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was such a pretty show

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Banana Fish anime coming

https://twitter.com/bananafish_tv/status/922116814905131009

e: I don't personally know much about it, but pretty much all the manga and anime creators i follow on twitter are very excited about the announcement

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 23, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

worth noting it's noitaminA, so it'll be on Amazon and maybe as short as 11 episodes :(

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I agree with everything you said here and was frustrated as well, but I'm not about to drop the show.

Burrito is right, too, though and moreover, this episode may show why Phos is the one of the very few with the capability to compile the encyclopedia- She's always been curious, she's always interfered with other peoples' work and lives, and she's always been viewed as an annoyance because of it. Depending on where the show goes with this, it could be the start of an interesting conflict between the "protectors" and the "administrators", due to the different mantras by which they seem to live. Cinnabar, Dia (even if she is stupid), the Doctor and Bort all seem to place more value on not letting Phos disappear (in line with a possible job of "protect my siblings") than do Jade and the members of their community whose reason for existence might be "Sweep the meditation hall" or "Maintain order" or whatever else. That different value placed on existence could come to a head and start some manner of conflict, somehow.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

I liked Blend S ep 3 better than the first 2 by a good bit and I liked the first 2 a lot.

it was boring because of the focus on the manager's maika fetish

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
banana fish is also being directed by hiroko utsumi, who's done animation work on a bunch of kyoani shows and openings and directed free

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

Banana Fish anime coming

e: I don't personally know much about it, but pretty much all the manga and anime creators i follow on twitter are very excited about the announcement

whoa

shameful confession: I never have gotten around to reading it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

whoa

shameful confession: I never have gotten around to reading it

It's one of those manga that's been scrubbed off the internet so me neither

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

worth noting it's noitaminA, so it'll be on Amazon and maybe as short as 11 episodes :(

Nyah, see

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

It's one of those manga that's been scrubbed off the internet so me neither

looks like there are a handful of chapters on mangago, and used volumes of the out of print release run about ~$9 per. hopefully the anime brings along a digital re-release or something.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

Also found in Otome Yokai Zakuro's fox spirits.

Is this any good, and is it basically the Meiji-era yokai crimes investigation anime that the wiki summary makes it sound like?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's good! There's that stuff but it's romance too, it's sort of like Kamisama Kiss in that regard.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

It's good! There's that stuff but it's romance too, it's sort of like Kamisama Kiss in that regard.

That sounds even better, so I'll have to add it to the ever-expanding backlog. Thanks!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

a kitten posted:

Banana Fish anime coming

This was one of my favorite manga. Man, it's going to be a wild ride.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is this any good, and is it basically the Meiji-era yokai crimes investigation anime that the wiki summary makes it sound like?
It kinda starts that way but then it goes more into detail regarding Zakuro's past (the main fox girl you see in the gif). Mai Nakahara portrayal of her is just so :kimchi:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's pretty good, overall i really like it even if it stumbles a bit at the end (but doesn't trip and land on its face either, to stretch the metaphor a bit).

There's definitely yokaicrime to be investigated but there's also an overarching plot.

also all of the couples (and one triple) get their own ED where they sing about it in character and it is so good

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It was the first anime series i said i'd buy when i was super freaking broke and finally got a new job and fixed that problem.

It's not the greatest show ever, but i have a super big spot for it in my heart and love it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmONRcfX1Kw

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

With this and Hakumei to Mikochi, winter will be a good season.

Also the person who was doing videos of the places in Bakuon is doing the same for Yurucamp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1FsuBCRgk

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hoo boy some nice fanservice in ep 4 of Infini-T Force

Joji/Tekkaman in nothing but trunks :discourse:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
You'd like Zakuro a lot, I think, Lemon.

I particularly love the song they sing when they unleash their fancy powers, and also the stoic side character guy that's also kind and makes the cute girl's heart go doki doki

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxadzNSXKhs

and this guy
X

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The other thing I forgot to mention: That girl in Two Car has to be LOADED if she can get a private track session at Suzuka (or well, what appears to be one). Though the FIM Japanese Motorcycle GP is at Motegi now.

iospace fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 23, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

You'd like Zakuro a lot, I think, Lemon.

It's being backlogged right now, though I have no idea when I'll have the time to watch it. :(

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

anime-gataris episode 3: good finale

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I can't believe Blend S made a Calimero joke, of all things. I can't imagine too many people got that one.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Aurora posted:

it was boring because of the focus on the manager's maika fetish

Yeah but the bondage girl's (gonna be) epic

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Agronox posted:

Is Himouto! Umaru-chan any good? I never saw S1 but seem to remember very mixed reviews here. Main character really sucks, something like that?

I personally enjoyed umaru-chan a great deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Okay! I will give it 3-6 episodes at least. Thanks all who replied.

• Locked thread