Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Dongattack posted:

This is my current city with the Go Green or whatever expansion that's making me frustrated:

All the entrances look like this, heavily congested:

People literally die in this specific part of town cause emergency vehicles can't get there:

I have ferries travelling up and down the river, a monorail traveling along the 4 lane "vein" road going through the city and buses dividing the city in ca 5 segments between them with bus stops overlapping here at there so you can switch buses. But still only 1 391 people in a 104 838 man strong city use the public transports. Free ot free public transport seems to make very little difference.
I wish the game was a lot better at communicating to me what the problem is. Wonder a lil bit if it's the Traffic Manager mod, cause this is my first time playing with it.

Also i included this picture cause it's pretty HEHE

OwlFancier posted:

I think your problem there is that roundabouts do not handle high volumes of traffic :stare:

You have shitloads of people trying to go right on the roundabout which means they have to drive across all the other lanes and exits to get there, put a bypass road in that connects the left side of the incoming road to the right road off the roundabout, or add more entrances to the city in general to put them below the critical mass.

E: Or I guess that's left on the roundabout in your case, I assume everyone's using left hand driving.

Roundabouts are specifically good for connecting a lot of low to medium use roads together without needing traffic lights, but they don't actually handle high volumes of traffic well because they clog the gently caress up real easily. Don't use them everywhere as nice as they are and keep them off your busy roads.

I always thought that's what roundabouts did, but i don't know anything about traffic really. What is it roundabouts are supposed to do/help with in traffic? (besides looking nice)
Is just a simple 4way junction better then for high volume roads?

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think 90% of your traffic is coming from immigrants. Once everyone is moved in it should stabilize. Also what's going on with the twinned 2-way bridges off that roundabout?
I'd say all your blocks are too big and your roads are too wide. Smaller blocks of 2-lane streets often handle traffic better than big 6 lane super-blocks. More intersections, less lanes.

Also in your first picture with the whole layout the roundabout on the right bank is serving double duty, it's handling most traffic coming into the city from the outside world, but it's also a choke point for everyone getting over to that big loopy development on the far left. In both cases the route require traffic circling around 270 degrees of the roundabout and getting in each other's way as long as possible.

For a city that size you could get by with nothing but 2-lane streets, no internal highways, and a few bus lines. It's counter-intuitive, specially based on mid-century american traffic engineering orthodoxy, but more lanes and wider longer streets can often make traffic worse. In skylines this can be specially bad because cars will usually always pick the widest road to use, since it has a higher speed limit. This funnels all your cars onto the wider roads rather that dispersing them more evenly throughout the city. If you use highways and big wide multi-lane roads you need to think like a 1970's american traffic engineer and design extremely segregated neighbourhoods built around the "hierarchy of roads" where the network is more like roots of a tree. The other options is to design more based on traditional urbanism from cities that developed before cars and just have a dense network of smaller streets, which in skylines usually results in the traffic being spread nice and evenly since all routes are now equal.

Also forgive the terrible paint drawing but when dealing with high-speed roundabouts you never want the roads to connect at 90 degrees, cims have to slow way down to make the sharp turn.

Angle/curve the connections and you'll actually get a lot more capacity out of it.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 23, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Okay, i think i understand traffic a bit better then. Man, it's loving HARD! Thank you both.

Edit: The two twinned bridges are two just so it looks symmetrical, probably only need the one.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 23, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

Also forgive the terrible paint drawing but when dealing with high-speed roundabouts you never want the roads to connect at 90 degrees, cims have to slow way down to make the sharp turn.

Angle/curve the connections and you'll actually get a lot more capacity out of it.

How do you do this within the limitations of the road tool? I'm trying to fiddle with it right now, but even with the Road Anarchy mod i can't make it like that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dongattack posted:

How do you do this within the limitations of the road tool? I'm trying to fiddle with it right now, but even with the Road Anarchy mod i can't make it like that.

In a word: size. An effective roundabout is not a small thing, and the wider the road types you want to use, the larger the circle of the roundabout has to be.

These are old, but should still give you sense of the absolute minimum you need to make it work for a given size of road and when you can get away with a 90° connection:

in terms of building them, the trick to not make the curves distort while you're connecting stuff is to first bild a four-way cross of the appropriate diameter. Then you connect the end spurs with 90° curves. Then you leave the inner road crossing alone since it will force the roads to keep their shape. You can then connect the angled on- and off-ramps and have the whole thing maintain its shape — only when you're completely finished do you remove the supporting bit in the middle. In addition, unless money is tight, it usually helps a lot to build the whole thing using smaller/thinner road types and then upgrade to whatever you want for the final thing.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
This is on sale but I’m daunted by the DLC. Is any of it essential? Is it like EU4 where a bunch of the new stuff is updated for free?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Man, those are really pretty. Time to restart again! I'm gonna start to tick the "unlock all milestones" button tho, a bit of cheating to help with my frustrations. :unsmith:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dongattack posted:

Man, those are really pretty. Time to restart again! I'm gonna start to tick the "unlock all milestones" button tho, a bit of cheating to help with my frustrations. :unsmith:

Never look back my friend. Now you are free to designate industrial zones at will.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The main way, in all honesty, to deal with a very busy intersection is to make another intersection somewhere else. There is a pretty harsh limit on just how many cars you can shove through a space. You either need to make a very large intersection like a highway cloverleaf or turbine interchange to make it so that people don't need to slow down and they have individual roads taking them wherever they want to go, or you need to add alternate routes. A big roundabout does work better than a small one because it's got smoother transitions and more storage space on the roundabout but if you're designing a massive roundabout I find I'd rather have a spaghetti junction which would probably have higher throughput and make more use of the same footprint. It's hard to put stuff inside roundabouts in this game unless you make what is essentially a ring road around whole sections of the city.

Baron's right in that a 2x2 infinite grid is easier and often more effective but I like using highways because they're challenging and produce more interesting looking cities.

Also yes as Tippis says there's a weird mystical art to making the road tool do what you want.

On the subject of mass transit usage, behold; the transportoplex!

Cheating a bit really as I was using realistic density which makes mass transit hella good.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 23, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

snoremac posted:

This is on sale but I’m daunted by the DLC. Is any of it essential? Is it like EU4 where a bunch of the new stuff is updated for free?

I wouldn't say any of the DLC is essential. And usually the best features of each DLC are part of the free update/patch that the DLC releases with. Perfectly playable with just the vanilla game.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

snoremac posted:

The DLC has all been meh at best, which is kind of a bummer but the upside is that for someone in your position there's no need to buy any of the DLC.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Okay, cheers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think out of all of them mass transit is probably the most fun given that it has a lot of new and interesting forms of transit to play with.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Messing about a bit with a new city now before bed. I think also one of my major problems in addition to all i've gotten help with above is that i want to make cities that are FUNNY SHAPES and not square blocks. Which i guess is fine here and there in small doses, but not entire cities of it like my previous.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depends what you mean by funny shapes, generally non grid shapes don't fill out super nicely but they work fine most of the time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dongattack posted:

Messing about a bit with a new city now before bed. I think also one of my major problems in addition to all i've gotten help with above is that i want to make cities that are FUNNY SHAPES and not square blocks. Which i guess is fine here and there in small doses, but not entire cities of it like my previous.

If you want funny shapes you will start down a very very dark road that leads to hand-plopping and moving every building.

Really want to get back into this and all my mods seem mostly updated but trying to load an old city gave a ton of errors and missing buildings :(

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 23, 2017

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

snoremac posted:

Mass Transit gives you monorail and ferries. And loving blimps.

After Dark gives you Red Light districts, hotel districts and Taxis.

Snowfall, bizarrely, gives you trams.

So depending on your preferred public transportation choice, well, then you'd have to pick up one of those DLCs.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Are there any traffic advatages to using avenues (4 lane roads) versus the beefier boulevards (6 lane roads), aesthetics aside? I find that if I am going to place a larger road, it mine as well be a 6 lane... If I am going for aesthetiics, then I will make 2 paralel 2 lane streets one-way, and add a decorative park in the middle (from the workshop).

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Also, while on the topic of traffic, is there any way to control the nuumber of "low educated tourists" that *insist* on using a car everywhere they go, despite my city having an extensive pedestrian / metro / train / bus system? They are, by far, the biggest offenders in clogging up roads....

I checked the internet and could not find much information on this. The only thing I can think of is to recreate new park / attraction assets in the asset manager to cut out how many Low educated / low wealth tourists that are attracted to the city...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Guigui posted:

Are there any traffic advatages to using avenues (4 lane roads) versus the beefier boulevards (6 lane roads), aesthetics aside? I find that if I am going to place a larger road, it mine as well be a 6 lane... If I am going for aesthetiics, then I will make 2 paralel 2 lane streets one-way, and add a decorative park in the middle (from the workshop).

There's actually not much of a point in using the six lane roads over the four lane roads for arteries. It's hard to design a road network in which Cims will utilize more than four lanes with the default roads and the six lane roads have higher maintenance costs. The major advantage of the six lanes is its higher speed limit, which can make Cims more likely to use it in situations where you want traffic to use a specific route.

E: I would describe my typical road network as using two lane roads as collectors and feeders, four lane roads as arterial roads and six lane roads as expressways.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 23, 2017

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Dongattack posted:

I always thought that's what roundabouts did, but i don't know anything about traffic really. What is it roundabouts are supposed to do/help with in traffic? (besides looking nice)
Is just a simple 4way junction better then for high volume roads?

In real life, roundabouts also reduce fatalities and injuries. While round abouts are more prone to accidents than traditional intersections, the type of accident (fender benders or side swipes) are very unlikely to cause any injuries or fatalities, while traditional intersections have less accidents, but when they do, they are high speed t-bone and head on collisions.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Re: roundabouts, drove through this intersection recently

Google maps view:

From street level 1:

From Street level 2:

much higher res available if you dig on imgur

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Speaking of, I drove through my first Diverging Diamond Interchange a couple weeks back in Virginia crossing I-66, made me think of this thread. Apparently they're really catching on in the US, as are roundabouts for low throughput intersections.

I just looked it up and VDOT's even got an announcement for it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah roundabouts/traffic circles own

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Doing more :pseudo: with the map editor, I think I've found a pretty neat way to get realistic tree distributions set up.

Basically, I'm placing 0.001 power water sources at all of the high points along this ridge line and allowing them to flow for a while in game. The flow of the water blocks trees from being placed, creating what should be a pretty realistic distribution of higher tree density.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah roundabouts/traffic circles own

this, however, does not own. Two roundabouts hastily smashed together into one sort of large one, with a bus lane running in the middle with some not entirely clear directions as to which lane you're supposed to be especially if you want to go straight north

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

In real life, roundabouts also reduce fatalities and injuries. While round abouts are more prone to accidents than traditional intersections, the type of accident (fender benders or side swipes) are very unlikely to cause any injuries or fatalities, while traditional intersections have less accidents, but when they do, they are high speed t-bone and head on collisions.

Yeah it's quite difficult to kill yourself on a roundabout given you have to slow to enter it and you can't often drive round them very fast, and anything you hit is going the same way as you. They're good for that.

Monorails might be useless but gently caress it if I'm not going to shove every kind of transit into the city just so I can make it look cool:

They build upwards very nicely.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

turn off the TV posted:

Doing more :pseudo: with the map editor, I think I've found a pretty neat way to get realistic tree distributions set up.

Basically, I'm placing 0.001 power water sources at all of the high points along this ridge line and allowing them to flow for a while in game. The flow of the water blocks trees from being placed, creating what should be a pretty realistic distribution of higher tree density.

This looks REALLY good. Please post the map if you decide to publish it!

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

NatasDog posted:

Speaking of, I drove through my first Diverging Diamond Interchange a couple weeks back in Virginia crossing I-66, made me think of this thread. Apparently they're really catching on in the US, as are roundabouts for low throughput intersections.

I just looked it up and VDOT's even got an announcement for it.

I've never driven through one but this looks like it was intentionally designed to cause accidents holy poo poo. Definitely wouldn't want to be anywhere near it when the bars close.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

New Butt Order posted:

I've never driven through one but this looks like it was intentionally designed to cause accidents holy poo poo. Definitely wouldn't want to be anywhere near it when the bars close.

It's actually ridiculously simple to navigate and if anything I imagine the lack of left turns into oncoming traffic makes it less dangerous when dealing with the impaired. There are big rear end signs and arrows telling you exactly what to do when you approach. The whole thing flows really nicely even during rush hour because you don't have to worry about left turn traffic backing up into the through lanes like you have to with so many diamond interchanges that have left turn lanes that are too short for the volume of traffic they need to accommodate.

I've used them pretty much exclusively in C:S because they're really effective at handling a lot of traffic entering/exiting the highway.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

As I understand it diverging diamonds are actually safer than traditional diamonds.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

New Butt Order posted:

They're real simple for actually driving through, they just look weird and dangerous from a distance.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, they're pretty straightforward and a lot easier to parse from street level, but from the sky they look like demolition derby tracks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Turns out my :pseudo: worked more like :science:

I think the end results are much better than what I would have gotten had I tried to place trees like this myself, and on a map with fewer mountains it would be a pretty quick set up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How many water sources did you need to use? Was it a pain setting them all up and deleting them?
Also if the island fills the entire map where do you build the city? Will there just be a hard edge once you reach the edge of the buildable tiles?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

How many water sources did you need to use? Was it a pain setting them all up and deleting them?
Also if the island fills the entire map where do you build the city? Will there just be a hard edge once you reach the edge of the buildable tiles?

There's probably a couple hundred water sources. It took a few hours to place them all and a couple of minutes to throw down the trees. Pretty time consuming, but I like the results enough to stick with it.

The map is also designed for use with 81 tiles, but I would be impressed if anyone made that sprawling of a city on it. I made it more with the intention of designing the kind of cities and towns you find around coastal Provence and Liguria.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I need to make a new map to start a city with this patch since my old cities seem broken now, might try to make a smaller 25-tile friendly island using this technique.

I think your water and rocks and trees thing is cool enough that you should make a little youtube on the process.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

New Butt Order posted:

it's far less dangerous due to the reduction in conflict points.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
There's one of those someplace in Delaware and my dad in the passenger seat looked up from his phone and freaked out that we were on the wrong side of the road. It takes a little getting used to but they do make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

turn off the TV posted:

Turns out my :pseudo: worked more like :science:

I think the end results are much better than what I would have gotten had I tried to place trees like this myself, and on a map with fewer mountains it would be a pretty quick set up.
So, uh, you gonna put this on the workshop orrrrr