Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
So they have been adding new ship blog posts everyday and I just noticed something in the Further Reading section they haven't updated the links in old blogs:

So they have a webpage thing over multiple pages that isn't something you edit once and it goes live for all the pages but they have to go to each page and edit the hardcode and for the last two days they have forgot to do that.

kilus aof fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the game is practically finished at this point; soon chris and sandi will be on permanent vacation, ortwin will never have existed except in the memories of goons, and derek smart's immortal blogs will be a whisper in the breeze.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
(That quote was taken out of context by the way so don't fall on your sword trying to defend it or something.)

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

the game is practically finished at this point; soon chris and sandi will be on permanent vacation, ortwin will never have existed except in the memories of goons, and derek smart's immortal blogs will be a whisper in the breeze.

Tell me about the space farm again, George, tell me about the space rabbits we'll have.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

You DONATED to a kickstarter. They have absolutely zero obligation to issue refunds. They do so, and have done them, for quite awhile out of their own decision.

quote:

You do know, that you've gifted the money, right? And normally, a gift doesn't include a refund.

Hmm, that sentiment looks familiar. What years-late kickstarter mmo could these comments be about? Camelot Unchained

https://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchained/comments/780htj/marc_jacobs_is_a_liar_at_least_to_me/

I was not a backer, but I came across Camelot Unchained on a list of upcoming MMOs, had forgotten about it, and went to the website and then the subreddit to look for a release date. Oddly, searching "Camelot Unchained" in kickstarter's own search field yields no result, so I had to find it via google search. It was supposed to be in beta by September of 2015, and is still an unfinished alpha at this point. The crowdfunding campaign launched in early 2013, so a few months after SC. Both played on nostalgia, promising to be a spiritual successor to a beloved niche game (Dark Age of Camelot, in CU's case). From a cursory look through people's complaints, both project appear to have had major issues with scope and staff turnover. Both projects appear to have abandoned kickstarter itself for their own website, and the comments sections of the two games' kickstarter pages feature the same characters: the people complaining about a lack of updates/progress, the people outright calling it a scam, and the dwindling number of fanboys defending it. I find it kind of interesting, though not really surprising, that the SC phenomenon isn't unique. I guess it's just the largest fuckup of its kind.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAabMDydq4Y&t=530s

Over 1,070 professionally produced youtube videos.

When you consider the key to brain washing is cycling people between boredom and overstimulation, Star Citizen makes a lot more sense.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

He didn't mean they're almost finished as in complete, he meant finished as in bankrupt.

Star Citizen: Pretty Much Finished

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Wise Learned Man posted:

Hmm, that sentiment looks familiar. What years-late kickstarter mmo could these comments be about? Camelot Unchained

When it comes to poo poo-show kickstarter slowfails, Identity MMO is one of my favs. Total dev fail, they said the game would be in beta last year, full release this year. They have not released one iota of gameplay and don't talk to the community except for the occasional livestream of one artist making a loving lamp or something. So funny.

[]

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I looked it up and wow, just wow. People have made up entire worlds in their minds the absence of anything real, tangible, explorable, or even rendered.

Correct, friend.

If you recall my October blog, I talked about the “hidden supporters with big money”. The role player crowd is playing Star Citizen right now. It’s just not the same game you or I see. :allears:

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Toops posted:

Identity MMO

Never even heard of this one. It's even more :dreams: than SC.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Guns of Icarus online pulled a pretty good one with their adventure mode.

Took the money. Realized they didn't really know what to do. Appeared to dig in to wait for their playerbase to sort of wander off.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol their new turret thing is insanely dumb and it makes me glad I got rid of my Retaliator. Slaving your turrets is going to take away slots for upgrading other poo poo in your idiot stroller

quote:

For each turret you wish to be AI controlled i.e. it engages and tracks independently of player or NPC input, you need to have a Blade equipped for that. Ships that come with these types of turrets either have these blades already installed or additional computer items to hold them in, as blade space is restricted. This is designed to force players into choosing between adding this feature or other blade features when customizing your ship.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Wait a second. In the future, turrets will be run off expandable IBM racks from the early 2000s?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

MilesK posted:

When you consider the key to brain washing is cycling people between boredom and overstimulation, Star Citizen makes a lot more sense.

Why are they so proud of wasting money making youtube shows?

THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE MAKING A GAME

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beet Wagon posted:

lol their new turret thing is insanely dumb and it makes me glad I got rid of my Retaliator. Slaving your turrets is going to take away slots for upgrading other poo poo in your idiot stroller

At this point the only people who still own Retaliators are the people who bought it because they wanted to remove the bombs to add a bed and a TV with a picture of a tree on it.

Also is there any facet of CIG that isn't slaved to CR's moronic cinematic vision. The Lancaster has turrets! Let's add 6 lovely little turrets to this thing!

Might as well add a minigame where everyone on the crew presses shift to hold their breath so the enemy can't hear you when they pass by.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAabMDydq4Y&t=255s

This trailer which they showed off at the Star Citizen panel is unreal. They cut together a trailer out of new stuff, old deprecated stuff, and conceptual footage of stuff that doesn't exist. If Star Citizen was anywhere close to what was portrayed in the trailer, it might be a fun game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Toops posted:

lol perfect

I pretty much like all languages. Except perl. I loving hate perl. I hate everything about it. Every time I have to write a regex in a language that uses perl syntax I get dumber. Sometimes, there's just no other way. Usually it's when you have to write something stupid that's designed to shovel data around because people before you did something stupid.

If you've never seen this site, it's great: https://wiki.theory.org/index.php/YourLanguageSucks

I unironically read this whole thing and giggle-snerked the whole time.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Tokamak posted:

This trailer which they showed off at the Star Citizen panel is unreal. They cut together a trailer out of new stuff, old deprecated stuff, and conceptual footage of stuff that doesn't exist. If Star Citizen was anywhere close to what was portrayed in the trailer, it might be a fun game.

Star Citizen: if it was anywhere close to what was portrayed in the trailer, it might be a fun game

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tokamak posted:

But Chris none of that is possible in what you described as the 'alpha'

Plz explain

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Correct, friend.

If you recall my October blog, I talked about the “hidden supporters with big money”. The role player crowd is playing Star Citizen right now. It’s just not the same game you or I see. :allears:

GLARPers

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tokamak posted:

Star Citizen is will be might be probably won't be a..

Seriously, everything after "is a" is a bald faced lie. The loving gall of these people.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

MilesK posted:

when things go belly up the fact they spent so much time making videos, many of which are essentially marketing to sell jpegs, will make the whole endeavor look worse

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Also the Q&A section is insufferable. Every audience question are 'concerns' about feature creep and how protracted the development process is. They are just regurgitating the same old bullshit. One guy is explaining how not cutting unnecessary features is actually a good thing. Also asking 'what is feature creep', and giving an example of drug smuggling. Feature creep is talking about drug smuggling when you haven't even done a complete first pass on the ship flight and combat system.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MilesK posted:

1070 videos and a 12,000 member guild for a game that doesn't exist

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Beet Wagon posted:

Guess it takes a while to fully deprogram.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Mr. Carlisle posted:

1070 videos and a 12,000 member guild for a game that doesn't exist

ONE POINT EIGHT MILLION ACTIVE ACCOUNTS

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
He forgets that they licensed all their tools, for starters.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/l9Rvdbg.gifv

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Tokamak posted:

Is Chris sped up in this clip? His voice sounds higher pitched then what I remember.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Thoatse posted:

ONE POINT EIGHT MILLION ACTIVE ACCOUNTS

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Wait a second. In the future, turrets will be run off expandable IBM racks from the early 2000s?

I’m pretty sure that’s how it was in WW2 as well.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

fear the old blood

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Viscous Soda posted:

Is Chris sped up in this clip? His voice sounds higher pitched then what I remember.

That's him after 200 takes and the coke wore off

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Thoatse posted:

Star Citizen: if it was anywhere close to what was portrayed in the trailer, it might be a fun game

Take a breath from a helium ballon before repeating...

"Star Citizen is an epic first person experience spanning hundreds of solar systems, where players can fly highly detailed spaceships, battle on foot through massive space stations, explore life sized planets, and discover adventure in an ever expanding and changing galaxy."

Chris Roberts, absolutely word for word what he said in that vid, the very first sentance he uttered in fact.

There seems to be one or two lies in that one solitary sentance, if I hadn't already refunded or was in any way holding out hope, this is the CR branded verbal bollocks that would've pushed me over the edge. He's such a scammy, deluded, smug oval office.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Viscous Soda posted:

Sounds like it to me.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I like how crobbler always fucks up the consistency of his fake american accent he puts on for recordings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sabreseven posted:

Take a breath from a helium ballon before repeating...

"Star Citizen is an epic first person experience spanning hundreds of solar systems, where players can fly highly detailed spaceships, battle on foot through massive space stations, explore life sized planets, and discover adventure in an ever expanding and changing galaxy."

Chris Roberts, absolutely word for word what he said in that vid, the very first sentance he uttered in fact.

There seems to be one or two lies in that one solitary sentance, if I hadn't already refunded or was in any way holding out hope, this is the CR branded verbal bollocks that would've pushed me over the edge. He's such a scammy, deluded, smug oval office.

If only that video of him could be used as evidence of willful misleading in marketing , fraud if you will