Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Werner Herzog's Salt and Fire is great and on Netflix. The trailers don't really do its sense of humor justice, plus it's incredibly shot.

I was thinking of watching this since I'm a big Herzog fan but the reviews were almost all really atrocious. I should know better than to let Netflix reviews dissuade me though since some of my favorite movies have really lovely ones. I'll probably check it out when I get the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastesBlue
Jan 15, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

Wheelman dropped on Netflix today and is getting some pretty insane reviews. Being compared to other great car chase films. Gonna watch

Best movie I have seen outside of theaters for 2017.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Mindhunter: I really should know better by now not to peek at Reddit after watching any show with a female character.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 22, 2017

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Wheelman is like Locke but with added criminal activity.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah wheelman was pretty good. Pretty straight forward, well done gangster/driving flick.

Not looking forward to the fast and the furious movies popping up in my "since you watched" section though. :jerkbag:

Field Mousepad fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 21, 2017

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
I like that Netflix is keeping the lower-budget action movie alive. Wheelman was great and I think they only paid $10M for it.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Wheelman loving owned

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just finished it, and holy poo poo, Wheelman is probably the best crime movie I've seen since Drive.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
is it better than Baby Driver?

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
they're very different 'car chase' movies

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lycus posted:

I really should know better by now not to peek at Reddit

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wheelman was pretty good. Driving action isn't as satisfying or fun as other car chase movies because the camera sticks so close to the cars that you get the Batman Begins melee combat sensation. But they make up for it with great suspense and some really fun and playful cinematography.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That last driving sequence was excellent.

It was like "Why the hell is he driving backwards like that?!" Then oh. OH poo poo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like that it seemed like Wheelman wasn't trying to bite off more than it could chew. It seemed to know what it could and couldn't do on its budget, and I think within that, it delivered quite well. I also think it was good that despite its horror movie-like beginning with the phone calls/text messages the plot was actually not all that complicated. (I'm imaging a parallel universe where Wheelman tried to be the Fast and the Furious and failed disastrously.)

It will actually be interesting if Netflix produces more movie-like content like this, rather than just TV-style series. Hollywood movies have gotten so expensive I think there is a niche here.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I was afraid Wheelman lost its momentum when there was a phone conversation instead of a car chase after he drove away from the docks, but it caught back up to itself and ended up being great.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Wheelman was great. I also really liked Spectral as a low-key sci-fi/horror movie so Netflix is doing some really good purchases.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I liked that pretty much all the shots in Wheelman came from inside of the car, except like one where he burns the BMW, but at the same time I almost wish we got to see more of the cars themselves.

Overall a very good movie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah maybe they did it to save money on stunt driving scenes but they completely embrace the aesthetic and it helps see everything from his oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo perspective.

I think Children of Men did something similar in its car scenes with much success (although they didn't do it to save money because you can clearly see a big production going on outside the car in clear daylight)

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Pycckuu posted:

I liked that pretty much all the shots in Wheelman came from inside of the car, except like one where he burns the BMW, but at the same time I almost wish we got to see more of the cars themselves.

I like that since so much of the movie takes place inside the car, it fosters a sense of agoraphobia when they make the switch, timed very appropriately with the plot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah wheeleman was fuckin great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah wheeleman was fuckin great.

It really really is good.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Salt and Fire was okay.

Wheelman's mighty fine. I'm not a car guy so I appreciated that it was about the driver, his driving and the stakes/drama. And the feel of continuity from one scene to the next was great. For an action/driving movie, this was solid.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Anyone check out 1922 yet? I liked it, it's an EC comics style old school horror\noir story.

E: Everyone talking about Wheelman and the Netflix low\mid budget pictures opportunity bringing certain kinds of movies that can't be made in Hollywood anymore back to life made me think about it. 1922 seems like the kind of movie that Hollywood stopped making around the late 90s, early 00's.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 23, 2017

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pycckuu posted:

Another well-done scene like that is when he gets out of the car with the AK, enters the back of the bar, kidnaps Garrett Dillahunt, beats up one of the tough guys to mollify the lot of 'em, and then peels out. The shot was one long take with the car as the point of reference.

Also, I found it a bit surprising that there were no police chases, which was actually a refreshing change from the usual genre trope

1922, on the other hand, is a slog, although Thomas Jane really does give it his all

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Man Wheelman was solid. Keeping the camera almost always inside the car gives the whole thing a claustrophobic, isolated feeling, really ramping up the pressure of the plot. It kinda reminded me of Collateral but more focused.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Mo_Steel posted:

Man Wheelman was solid. Keeping the camera almost always inside the car gives the whole thing a claustrophobic, isolated feeling, really ramping up the pressure of the plot. It kinda reminded me of Collateral but more focused.

Collateral was such a great movie. It is weird that solid movies from that era aren’t really played anywhere these days. Collateral, eastern promises, history of violence, all solid movies that may as well not exist anymore.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I watch A History of Violence at least twice a year, that movie is incredible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Collateral was such a great movie. It is weird that solid movies from that era aren’t really played anywhere these days. Collateral, eastern promises, history of violence, all solid movies that may as well not exist anymore.

Collateral and A History of Violence are both fantastic. People never watch Children of Men anymore, either. The mid 2000's have all these great movies that no one seems to watch these days.

And it's not like they don't hold up, either. I watched Children of Men at work last Christmas, and the friend I got to watch with me was completely blown away.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Collateral is one of the best first 2/3 of a movie I've ever seen

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Accretionist posted:

Collateral is one of the best first 2/3 of a movie I've ever seen

I liked the ending a lot, it caps off the relationship between Max and Vincent and how different they are and the effect they've had on each other through the evening/ how much of Vincent's philosophy was poo poo he didn't follow in the first place.

Like how for all his talk of improvising, he sticks with the same failure drill shots the whole movie, which leads to his attempt to kill max being stopped by the subway doors.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Collateral is the one with Thomas Cruise and Jamie Fox right? It was a good enough movie that at the end you can say "hey that movie was pretty good", but there isn't anything special or great about it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mysterious frankie posted:

Anyone check out 1922 yet? I liked it, it's an EC comics style old school horror\noir story.

E: Everyone talking about Wheelman and the Netflix low\mid budget pictures opportunity bringing certain kinds of movies that can't be made in Hollywood anymore back to life made me think about it. 1922 seems like the kind of movie that Hollywood stopped making around the late 90s, early 00's.

Yeah, it was fine. There wasn't much horror, but I enjoyed it enough, and Tom Jane was great as always.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

drunken officeparty posted:

Collateral is the one with Thomas Cruise and Jamie Fox right? It was a good enough movie that at the end you can say "hey that movie was pretty good", but there isn't anything special or great about it.

That nightclub scene was dope. Also the gun audio.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I totally forgot that movie existed but i remember it being super entertaining now. Gonna have to watch it again.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The thing that wasn't in 1922 that's typically in stories of that genre is that one detective that's sure the protagonist did it and constantly dogs him.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

James Woods Fan posted:

That nightclub scene was dope. Also the gun audio.

The cinematography was fantastic, too. Some gorgeous shots in that movie. I also loved how they absolutely nailed the feeling of a late, long night through color.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

This isn't confined to a specific era, that's just the life cycle of most films. Look at some random year's collection of Oscar nominees, and I'm sure you'll find a movie you remember being good, but haven't thought about in years.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 23, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Eastern Promises is on it's way to being possibly forgotten but A History of Violence shows up on streaming services pretty regularly and people seem to remember it well from my experience.

The better Viggo performance is Eastern Promises though, shame that not a ton of people have seen it, or if they did they only remember the bathhouse fight.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I remember the guy from the Bourne movies who kinda looks like the muskrat thing in Ice Age in Eastern Promises. That and a lot of tattoos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

drunken officeparty posted:

I remember the guy from the Bourne movies who kinda looks like the muskrat thing in Ice Age in Eastern Promises. That and a lot of tattoos.

Vincent Cassel, he's great in it. He's great in everything though.

I love the ending of Eastern Promises, because it all depends on the heavyweight performances. I mean, it's a gangster movie where the climax is one guy convincing another guy that they can't murder a child, but Viggo's delivery of those lines is so perfect and Cassel's character has been well developed throughout the film as completely unpredictable. But for it to work you really have to believe that Viggo's character has the gravitas to talk him down and he absolutely does.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 23, 2017