Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

If only that video of him could be used as evidence of willful misleading in marketing , fraud if you will

I know right? :D

"Star Citizen is an *pre-alpha* first person experience spanning *an* solar systems, where players can fly *a few* highly detailed *but broken* spaceships, battle on foot *against up to 8 people* through *a small* space stations, explore *no* life sized planets *just a couple really small moons*, and discover *hardly any* adventure in an ever expanding *inwards* and changing *feature creep* galaxy."

I feel the above is a little more accurate and only relevant if people one day get to play 3.0 and it does everything it's supposed to (which it wont). :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Viscous Soda posted:

Is Chris sped up in this clip? His voice sounds higher pitched then what I remember.
Blow makes you talk faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRu_-9MBpd4

I feel like I've posted this before. It's been a long war, friends.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Tokamak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAabMDydq4Y&t=255s

This trailer which they showed off at the Star Citizen panel is unreal. They cut together a trailer out of new stuff, old deprecated stuff, and conceptual footage of stuff that doesn't exist. If Star Citizen was anywhere close to what was portrayed in the trailer, it might be a fun game.

I can sort of understand getting sucked into the hype for something if the frontman has a lot of energy and charisma. But Chris looks really awkward and his tone sounds insincere. What kind of broke-brained weirdo do you have to be to fall into his cult of personality?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
mostly because they think he made freelancer even though he was fired 3 years before freelancer released because he bankrupted the company.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Toops posted:

lol perfect

I pretty much like all languages. Except perl. I loving hate perl. I hate everything about it. Every time I have to write a regex in a language that uses perl syntax I get dumber. Sometimes, there's just no other way. Usually it's when you have to write something stupid that's designed to shovel data around because people before you did something stupid.

If you've never seen this site, it's great: https://wiki.theory.org/index.php/YourLanguageSucks

Someone made a 3d raytracer in perl once. I mean you can do drat near anything in perl....not that you should.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

BloodyScab posted:

mostly because they think he made freelancer even though he was fired 3 years before freelancer released because he bankrupted the company.

Haha that sanitized recollection of how Freelancer was born yesterday was exactly what you would expect supafan prime to say, I think I saw Scott Manly's eye twitching during that but probably best for his own safety he didn't interject any corrections :ohdear:

Also not a mention of its revolutionary control scheme that killed space sims that's also the hallmark of upcoming AAAA game Star Citizen

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Chin posted:

Guess it takes a while to fully deprogram.

Yeah, sorry. I'm glad I got rid of everything (except my lovely basic pledge to make dumb videos with) but the turret changes hit especially close to home because much like Beer I was actually excited about a specific ship at one point and watched CIG systematically destroy everything that made it cool, something which apparently they're still doing.

The couple of halfway cool ideas they had have been ground into dust and they keep coming out with more and more generic poo poo lol. I fully expect them to be selling a triangular "Sun Destroyer (original idea do not steal)" in a year.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

Thoatse posted:

Haha that sanitized recollection of how Freelancer was born yesterday was exactly what you would expect supafan prime to say, I think I saw Scott Manly's eye twitching during that but probably best for his own safety he didn't interject any corrections :ohdear:

Also not a mention of its revolutionary control scheme that killed space sims that's also the hallmark of upcoming AAAA game Star Citizen

Its partially microsofts fault because they kept his name on it for marketing.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, sorry. I'm glad I got rid of everything (except my lovely basic pledge to make dumb videos with) but the turret changes hit especially close to home because much like Beer I was actually excited about a specific ship at one point and watched CIG systematically destroy everything that made it cool, something which apparently they're still doing.

The couple of halfway cool ideas they had have been ground into dust and they keep coming out with more and more generic poo poo lol. I fully expect them to be selling a triangular "Sun Destroyer (original idea do not steal)" in a year.

Sol Destroyer... ...wait that Sandi's part and she's had enough roles cut lately

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Thoatse posted:

Sol Destroyer... ...wait that Sandi's part and she's had enough roles cut lately

god drat :iceburn:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Derek Call smarted it

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

the game is practically finished at this point; soon chris and sandi will be on permanent vacation, ortwin will never have existed except in the memories of goons, and derek smart's immortal blogs will be a whisper in the breeze.

How many times must a man write a blog, before the MVP is released? The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind.

The answer is blowin' in the wind.

P/S: I'm drunk.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/916575581491421184
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/922104102146002945
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/922105061219725312

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sabreseven posted:

"Star Citizen is an epic* first person experience spanning hundreds** of solar systems, where players can fly highly detailed spaceships, battle on foot through massive*** space stations, explore life sized planets****, and discover adventure***** in an ever expanding****** and changing******* galaxy********."

*Epic is subjective, so I'm not lying!
**One is just one hundred that's been truncated a bit, so really if you think about it I'm not lying!
***Massive depends entirely on your point of view. For example, if I stand next to a dollhouse I look totally massive, like Godzilla! So I'm not lying! (Ben looks massive stood next to anything though)
****Scientific consensus gives the minimum required diameter for definition as a planet as 2000km, so our planets are technically smaller than anything you could sensibly call a a "life sized" planet. However there is a general classification of "minor planet" for things they can't be bothered to call anything else and there's no lower limit for those, so I'm not lying!
*****Some of our retarded cash dispensing morons valued customers seem to enjoy pushing an entirely client side vending machine around. This is technically an adventure (it gets especially tense near ramps!), so I'm not lying!
******The ship you bought that was marketed as the premier dog-fighter that punches above its weight? It's now a biowaste reclamation truck, literally a poo poo hauler. Don't worry though, it still punches above its weight. Oh and I think you'll find that's a "change", so I'm not lying!
*******Some may argue a single solar system can't be classified as a galaxy, but I disagree and if I could concentrate for more than 4 seconds I'd give you a good reason why I'm not lying! Buy an Idris, the coke's running out, and the screeching wails of my wife lamenting the state of her acting career are starting to set my teeth on edge!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Little Rocket Man Derek is no match for the imperial jackboots of Star Citizen

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

tooterfish posted:

*Epic is subjective, so I'm not lying!
**One is just one hundred that's been truncated a bit, so really if you think about it I'm not lying!
***Massive depends entirely on your point of view. For example, if I stand next to a dollhouse I look totally massive, like Godzilla! So I'm not lying! (Ben looks massive stood next to anything though)
****Scientific consensus gives the minimum required diameter for definition as a planet as 2000km, so our planets are technically smaller than anything you could sensibly call a a "life sized" planet. However there is a general classification of "minor planet" for things they can't be bothered to call anything else and there's no lower limit for those, so I'm not lying!
*****Some of our retarded cash dispensing morons valued customers seem to enjoy pushing an entirely client side vending machine around. This is technically an adventure (it gets especially tense near ramps!), so I'm not lying!
******The ship you bought that was marketed as the premier dog-fighter that punches above its weight? It's now a biowaste reclamation truck, literally a poo poo hauler. Don't worry though, it still punches above its weight. Oh and I think you'll find that's a "change", so I'm not lying!
*******Some may argue a single solar system can't be classified as a galaxy, but I disagree and if I could concentrate for more than 4 seconds I'd give you a good reason why I'm not lying! Buy an Idris, the coke's running out, and the screeching wails of my wife lamenting the state of her acting career are starting to set my teeth on edge!

:perfect:

They've gotta be running out of money by now, it's all just outright blatant lying.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
It Smart Called Derek

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

My memory is hosed, but I seem to remember even way back in the day, CIG saying people would have to spend upgrade slots, or downsize turrets to give them the ability to independently track and fire at targets.

That really isn't anything new. Its still dumb as hell, ED does it better.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Toops posted:

If you've never seen this site, it's great: https://wiki.theory.org/index.php/YourLanguageSucks

This is a great link, all my pet gripes in one place, so handy.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

BloodyScab posted:

Hang on, I know that he was removed from the project, but three years? Wow, I guess I always overestimated what the contribution the guy actually gave.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It Smart Called Derek

D E R E K S M A R T C A L L E D I T

can be rearranged into

Attackers drilled me
Castrate meddler ilk
Eldest drama tickler
Alarmed dick letters
Stellar dream ticked

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Derek Smart called it is an anagram for Call your parents and doxx the poo poo out if them.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Someone made a 3d raytracer in perl once. I mean you can do drat near anything in perl....not that you should.

I mean, you can do anything in a Turing-complete language which, amazingly, perl is. The only difference is how much pain you incur. The pain of perl triples every line.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

ewe2 posted:

This is a great link, all my pet gripes in one place, so handy.

This is my favorite:

C sucks because
- Not feeling your smartest today? Have a segfault.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Sorry to keep derailing with programmer chat, but I can only handle so much scamming bullshit from Chris Robert's Star Ship Imporium.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
perl, much like every other language, is a write once read never (WORN) language. it just doesn't pretend otherwise.

it's also bad, but for different reasons

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

Nerds!
I inputted 1.5, and now all the fans in my computer are making funny noises. Is that normal?
It's not really processing power that's the issue, it's scalability.

The processing time for that function grows exponentially with n, so it'll quickly become unfeasible no matter how fast the computer is. By contrast just outputting n*n would always take the same time whatever the gently caress n is.

That's the joke, they've made it pointlessly complicated and slow. And like most jokes, it's not really that funny once you've explained it. :eng99:

It defines input as an integer. Should that not either be caught by a compiler if you try to call the function with a non-int, crash from type mismatch when you input a non-int into an int variable (meant to be sent to the function) or something along those lines? It's been a while since I coded anything.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Last post on this.

A square is always positive, so they should be using an unsigned int to double their capacity, but for no good reason they cap their value at half what it could be.

Maybe they did at first but the compiler gave a warning about trying to transfer a signed int value into an unsigned int, so they "fixed" it by making the 'k' variable signed? That could be what the comment above the function is all about.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Here's the TwitchCon SPACE MADNESS VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/183740101?t=01h59m40s

It has barely started and Scott Manley is already facepalming

:eyepop:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:eyepop:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bofast posted:

It defines input as an integer. Should that not either be caught by a compiler if you try to call the function with a non-int, crash from type mismatch when you input a non-int into an int variable (meant to be sent to the function) or something along those lines? It's been a while since I coded anything.
The compiler would cast it as an int for you. The joke still doesn't work, because... well, as pointed out Tokamak, the input I cleverly crafted to trip up the function is now 1. I'm a dumbass.

I'll hang my head in shame, and go apply for a job at CIG. I look forward to a future working with luminaries such as Ben Lesnick, developer.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

tooterfish posted:

I look forward to a future working with luminaries such as Ben Lesnick, developer.

Better hurry

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

lol

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

Was that space COD any good? (that is, was it just another COD?)

Seems like no-one really talked about it much after the fact.

I did not finish the campaign, but I enjoyed what I played of it.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

"refactor that fidelity" -Chris Roberts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Also, hi Ben of Many Landos :wave: