Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Nets are so good Sean Marks is a genius
Spurs tree baby

Spurs without Kawhi > Wolves > OKC :) we have the sample size!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/marksable/status/922285065727492097

https://twitter.com/PeterVecsey1/status/922293053284671488

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Redacted posted:

I know. It sucks the way they lost because it honestly felt like they figured out how to make it all work.

But, then again.. they deserved to get beat with how lovely they played the rest of the game.

I know that in a months time when it’s clicking and wonderful, people are going to forget this loss and how this season started.

Cant wait till things start clicking the shots start falling consistently

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's gonna piss me off if I find out my precious fantasy team The Willy Hernangomezes doesn't have a chance this year because Jeff Hornacek has a potty mouth

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

the cap is going to likely go up because of jersey patches [although will likely go back down the year after that a bit]),

You keep posting this, but if every team got a patch the cap impact would be between 4 & 5 million. Some teams didn't so the impact is going to be less. The patch revenue is already factored into projections which right now look pretty flat, 101 next year and then a moderate jump to 108 in 19/20.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...n-2019.amp.html

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I still think they're just showcasing Kanter for a quick trade early in the season.

Also fire Hornacek for his inability to banish Ramon Sessions to the 12th spot

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

goddamn

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ESPN has the TWolves call of the end of the game

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21120847

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

You keep posting this, but if every team got a patch the cap impact would be between 4 & 5 million. Some teams didn't so the impact is going to be less. The patch revenue is already factored into projections which right now look pretty flat, 101 next year and then a moderate jump to 108 in 19/20.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...n-2019.amp.html

It's factored into "projections" which have literally been wrong ever year since they started doing them, often by as much as 20 million.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Apparently, Robin Lopez hit his first 3 last game and, in taking the lead from his brother, is going to start shooting threes this year. Hoi Ball, baby.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Seems pretty clear the Lakers expect to be getting LeBron, and if they don't get LeBron it's probably a safe bet that they have no Plan B

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
If lebron goes to LA maybe lavar could be the dad he never had

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Libertine posted:

Really regretting not slotting the Suns in as my "most losses" team in the predictions poll.

three game sample-
code:
PPG	OPP PPG	        DIFF	
98.0	128.7	       -30.7

Brolander posted:

weren't people just posting about how he's a "player's coach" and they all love him? or am i misattributin'

Suns being -92 in point differential through three games is by far the worst start in NBA/ABA history:

code:
Tm	Season	PTS
PHO	2017-18	-92
CHH	1989-90	-76
VIR	1973-74	-73
LAC	2008-09	-70
CAR	1971-72	-69
SAC	1991-92	-69
Ranked 1577 out of 1577.

sharknado slashfic posted:

I wish the NFL would fire coaches the basketball equivalent of 1 day into the season.

I wish Hoiberg and other coaches were fired during halftime of games on the court itself.

It's a good start. Average GmSc through three games (since 1983-84):

code:
Player			Season	  GmSc
Stephen Curry		2015-16	  35.5
Michael Jordan		1989-90	  34.7
Giannis Antetokounmpo	2017-18	  33.6
Michael Adams		1991-92	  32.1
Shaquille O'Neal	1993-94	  31.8

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
LeBron only goes to LA if he gives up on his dream of becoming a senator

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

slave to my cravings posted:

If lebron goes to LA maybe lavar could be the dad he never had

Skip Bayless account spotted

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

It has come to my attention that Wiggins has the nickname Maple Jordan

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lonzo is now 15/48 for the season, shooting roughly the same percentage as Fultz who refuses to shoot the ball

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

In terms of 2P shooting coupled with FT shooting 2018 Giannis Antetokounmpo is possibly off to the greatest start in world history (definitely since 1983-84):

Through three games:
code:
2NP+FTNP	Player			Season
36.92		Giannis Antetokounmpo	2017-18
34.76		Michael Jordan		1991-92
34.6		Shaquille O'Neal	1993-94
32.88		Charles Barkley		1986-87
31.4		Michael Jordan		1989-90
29.64		Charles Barkley		1989-90

2NP+FTNP = 2 * 2P - 2PA + FT - .44 * FTA
He also has a full WS through three.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

big boi posted:

It has come to my attention that Wiggins has the nickname Maple Jordan

Listen, invest in bitcoins right now. It might be rough for a bit but trust me, in five years it'll be worth it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Listen, invest in bitcoins right now. It might be rough for a bit but trust me, in five years it'll be worth it.

Don't listen to this guy.

What you should do is buy every BlackBerry device you can see cuz they're gonna be worth zillions in a just a few years.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
lol

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
So my buddy worked at golden 1 last year and there's literally a room in the back of a private owners only lounge that only vivek has access to. No staff allowed, no guards, no nothing.

$20 says it's just wall to wall pictures of Buddy Hield and Nik Stauskas

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
If I owned a team I would for sure build my own personal JO room.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Is there a YouTube or something that explains how the NBA works? I've decided to like basketball but I'm a Euro and I don't know anything. I know Steph Curry is good

YouTube Lesson #10:

Shave your head to improve your TS%:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSK77Asxhpo

Landry Fields Encore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MchONxztYAE

The Knicks are a Disgrace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ6Xn6uPYvc

Now you have enough knowledge for your first NBA year.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 23, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

man the Wolves are gonna be so good even in this meat grinder of a West

They still need to convince Wiggins to put in an ounce of effort on the defensive end.

It's too bad because if he actually bought in they could end up being crazy good on that end.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Lonzo Nearly Shatters All Time NBA single game scoring record in loss!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wiggins is not the problem on defense, honestly

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tae posted:

He is bad at it so I think that is a problem.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Tae posted:

I don’t know what “the problem” is, but his defense is definitely a problem given that he was one of the worst defensive players in the NBA last season

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

I don’t know what “the problem” is, but his defense is definitely a problem given that he was one of the worst defensive players in the NBA last season

He is dumb and doesn't play very hard on that end because he just wants to be on offense.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

They rely on people not watching games. Clarkson and Kuzma led the comeback, not Lonzo, and Lonzo also had a bunch of bricks and turnovers during the comeback

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Defense is dumb anyway

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Jordan Clarkson might be actually decent to good for a very long time in the vein of Lou Williams/Jamal Crawford. Dude is a professional bucket getter.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Is Towns going to be a problem building a defense around if he can't get his poo poo together? It seems like a very specific type of player you'd want to put next to him -- a guy capable of being a rim defender at the four, but who isn't going to get exploited in switches/the pick and roll. Gibson is a pretty decent fit in that regard, but probably still lackluster in terms of protecting the rim.

Who, ideally, would compliment Towns on that end? Is it even possible anymore to build a good defense around a guy who can only play center and can't defend?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

xbilkis posted:

Is Towns going to be a problem building a defense around if he can't get his poo poo together? It seems like a very specific type of player you'd want to put next to him -- a guy capable of being a rim defender at the four, but who isn't going to get exploited in switches/the pick and roll. Gibson is a pretty decent fit in that regard, but probably still lackluster in terms of protecting the rim.

Who, ideally, would compliment Towns on that end? Is it even possible anymore to build a good defense around a guy who can only play center and can't defend?

Ibaka from 5 years ago

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

xbilkis posted:

No. He can still get better. He's 21 years old entering his 3rd year as a professional basketball player. Its right to be concerned but its also I feel a tad premature to think he can't "get his poo poo together."

Niwrad posted:

He is dumb and doesn't play very hard on that end because he just wants to be on offense.

Defense is an issue here and it is clearly a lot of an effort thing but there are reasons to be optimistic.

1. Jimmy Butler is Thibs proxy on the floor. Already in this short season there have been multiple instances of Butler shouting at Wiggins to get into the right spot and its worked.

2. Across the board the team is rebounding better. Purely effort but in the 3 games so far I feel like they've attacked the boards better. They do not win against OKC tonight if they aren't getting effort rebounds.

3. *Here's me making excuses for Wiggins* Entering his 4th year, he's had 3 coaches. 3 different personalities, 3 systems, and also one of the coaches and the man that drafted him died. It's been a disruptive learning period for Wiggins and he also came onto a team that leaned on him for his offensive output and as the team has slowly gotten better he's needed to (and not always well) adjusted his style.

Call him him dumb because he just wants to score is a bit short sighted. Obviously if by the end of the year he's getting lost in rotations and not getting back then yes, there is a big problem. But I'll say I'm less worried with the surrounding cast.

And just to address the Wolves bench issues, yeah the bench isn't super deep but its honestly so much better than it was even just a couple years ago. Staggered rotations can actually occur that don't totally murder the team. Guys like Dieng, Bjelica (who I like), and Shabazz who can come out and just be an energy guy are nice. Crawford is a guy that got blasted a lot this offseason as over the hill and falling off has already won Minnesota 1 game this year. Its not an amazing bench but they can at least rotate guys in and out and not live in pure fear. Current Mood: cautiously optimistic but still very scared of the West.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lol.

I just don't even know. I mean the media has always been extremely spin heavy so nothing new, I guess, but my tolerance for it is so much lower these days.

straight up brolic posted:

Jordan Clarkson might be actually decent to good for a very long time in the vein of Lou Williams/Jamal Crawford. Dude is a professional bucket getter.

Also like those guys, you're probably in trouble if he's your only scorer. But if you have other stuff he's a nice piece.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Glumslinger posted:

Ibaka from 5 years ago

Anthony Davis now?

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Does Thibs' defense still revolve around ICE principles? I ask because it seems to me the easiest counter to it is to have a shooting big, and in this new era where guys like Brook Lopez, Marc Gasol, Blake Griffin, and loving Nikola Vucevic are chucking from deep (also guys like Curry, Kyrie, Lowry, and Lillard who can knock down the pull-up 3 vs. a non-mobile big at any time), I just can't help but think a frontline of Towns and Gibson is not as effective defensively as it would have been 5 years ago.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Westbrook = Brodie
Melo = Hoodie
Paul George = ___die? FOXDIE?

• Locked thread